• Published 9th Aug 2013
  • 1,553 Views, 29 Comments

The First Five - Epimetheus



Five friends marched single file into the forest, leaving their cars behind. None of the five thought for a moment that they’d never seen their cars and homes again. They had no reason to think that this trip would be any different.

  • ...
5
 29
 1,553

Chapter 7: An Angry Bunny Tries Terrorizing Humanity

Fluttershy’s cabin was picturesque in Rachael’s mind. The animals, the fact that it was cut out of a hill with a tree on top, and the field surrounding it. She absolutely loved all of it. The weather was beautiful and the animals were going about their business, Twilight’s invisibility spell still concealing the humans from their eyes. As they approached though, some of the animals, namely a pair of badgers and some rabbits began to sniff at the air, knowing something was just out of sight. The trio failed to notice this as they crossed the threshold of Fluttershy’s cottage. Once the spell was lifted, the animals were startled by the sudden appearance of the humans. They scattered, hiding in nearby bolt holes and random spots in the cottage. Only one animal remained, a decidedly stern looking rabbit, sitting in the middle of the living room, tapping his foot in irritation. The look on his face caused Rachael to aw audibly, while Megan was more cautious about the animal. Fluttershy on the other hand smiled kindly at the miffed bunny.

“Sorry I was gone last night Angel Bunny. There was an incident at Applejack’s.” She said in her quiet tone, and then motioned to the humans on either side. “This is Megan and this is Rachael, they’ll be staying with us for a while.” Angel Bunny gave the two a suspicious look, remaining in his spot. Rachael knelt down in an effort to be friendly with the bunny and smiled widely. The explanation seemed to placate the other animals, who slowly emerged from their hiding places, watching the humans closely.

“It’s ok everyone, they won’t hurt you.” Fluttershy said sweetly. The animals looked less nervous as Fluttershy spoke, some of the braver animals slowly approaching them. Angel Bunny remained stoic and irritated.

“It’s like they can understand you…” Megan said quietly, trying not to startle the animals.

“Well, it’s my special talent. I can communicate with them better than most ponies and they trust me more easily.” Fluttershy explained, moving towards the kitchen to make lunch. She was famished, and she was pretty sure Megan and Rachael were too. Rachael was approached by a number of animals, first some badgers, who sniffed her hand before simply walking out of the house disinterested. Next were some rabbits, more accepting than Angel Bunny, who let Rachael and Megan pet them for a minute before hopping away. Some birds flew up to examine the new comers, chirping curiously, staying as long as the badgers. Rachael turned to look at the still irritable bunny nearby.

“What about you dear? Aren’t you going to say hi?” Her voice was sweet, trying to entice the bunny over, but her question fell on deaf ears as the bunny hopped over to Fluttershy, busy making salads for the four of them. The two had a quiet conversation, consisting of Angel Bunny making wild paw gestures and Fluttershy answering back with mumbled words.

"Everything ok Fluttershy?” Megan asked, concerned about the rabbit’s behavior towards her new friend.

“Yes, Angel’s just upset over missing breakfast and sharing the house.” Fluttershy carefully placed three bowls on a table in the kitchen while the fourth was set under the table for Angel, who waited for the humans to begin before tentatively eating his own. Because there were only two chairs, Megan leaned up against the kitchen counter as she ate, using her fingers to eat the salad.

“Sorry about the lack of forks…” Fluttershy said quietly. She looked down at her salad slightly ashamed. Rachael looked at her host with shock, unsure of how she thought that not having any forks in a fingerless society was her fault.

“Fluttershy that is not you fault.” Megan said sternly “You had no clue we would show up, you open your home to us, and you expect us to get upset about you not having forks? We are in your debt and eating with out hands is just as good as with forks.” Megan finished with a resolute tone, trying to convince the pegasus that there was no reason for her to blame herself, but she went about it in the wrong way. Her tone didn’t seem to convince Fluttershy and caused Angel Bunny to hop towards her with an angry expression. Megan looked down at him with a raised eyebrow.

“I’m not mad at her; I’m simply trying to explain to her that it isn’t her fault.” Megan told Angel, not fully expecting him to understand her. Angel raised a questioning eyebrow at her statement and turned to see Rachael comforting the pegasus.

“It’s ok Fluttershy. It really doesn’t matter to either of us. We’re fine without them.” She put a comforting arm around the pegasus as she spoke in a sweet voice, which seemed to reach Fluttershy better than Megan’s. She smiled weakly and began to eat her lunch. Angel Bunny seemed to be ok with how things were going and looked back at Megan before going back under the table to finish his lunch. Megan would later swear she saw him place two fingers from his paw under his eyes and then point to her. I’ve got to watch out for him Megan thought, trying to remain calm. It wasn’t everyday you were threatened by a fluffy rabbit that looked like it had no qualms about fighting something ten times its size. After a quiet lunch, Rachael gathered the bowls and began to wash them. Angel Bunny refused to go near her as she picked up his empty bowl, and hopped into the living room with the other two, keeping a wary eye on the two humans.

“So… where will we be sleeping?” Rachael asked once the dishes were done, trying hard not to upset Fluttershy.

“I’ve got a guest room upstairs… if you’d like to sleep there that is.” She drooped her head, causing the humans to panic. Angel wasn’t happy.

“I’m sure the room will be just fine!” Megan assured, smiling widely and in an overly sweet voice. Fluttershy looked back up with a tentative smile and led them upstairs so they could see the room. The two humans quickly grabbed their stuff to prevent Angel from ransacking the bags. The second story of the cottage consisted of Fluttershy’s room, a bathroom, and a guest room that held a king size bed.

“I can get another bed if you guys don’t want to share…” She began to recede again, but Megan quickly salvaged the situation.

“Rachael and I are absolutely fine with sharing a bed Fluttershy. There’s no need to fret.” She leaned down and hugged a startled yellow pegasus. “We’re just happy you’re willing to shelter us.”

Rachael could swear she saw Angel death glaring Megan and herself. Fluttershy loosened up with the hug and helped the two unpack. Angel Bunny decided the best course of action was to be a nuisance. There was a rather embarrassing moment when the little white terror snatched one of Rachael’s bras and attempted to run out of the cottage with it. He’d gotten the idea when he heard her and Megan explain just what it was used for and that it was an undergarment. Fluttershy was giving the rabbit a time out as Megan tried to soothe a thoroughly distressed Rachael. It took her a few minutes, but she was finally able calm down enough to finish unpacking.

“I’m so sorry about that Rachael.” Fluttershy apologized, looking over her shoulder to make sure the bunny was still sitting in the corner.

“It’s ok Fluttershy, it wasn’t your fault.” Rachael answered, her face as pink as the mare’s hair.

“I should have kept an eye on him.” She insisted, facing her new friends. “I’ve made sure he understands what he did was wrong and that he’s not to go into your room without your permission.”

“Thank you Fluttershy.” Megan said with a sincere smile. “You’re a wonderful host.” The pony blushed slightly at the compliment and smiled.

“I just wish that things had started off a little better.” She lamented, looking back at the sulking puff ball. Angel Bunny refused to go near Rachael and Megan from that day on and would only go upstairs to enter Fluttershy’s room.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the short chapter, so here's two today.