• Published 29th Jul 2013
  • 545 Views, 2 Comments

Sweet, Solemn, Sad - Shingo



A collection of short stories.

  • ...
3
 2
 545

Ship Ship Hooray!

Dozens of young unicorns spilled out of the doors of the School for Gifted Unicorns. They all cheered as they spread across a playground. Some brought equipment with them ready to play a game while others carried a small boxed lunch. Among fillies and colts enjoying their time outside, two ponies cantered towards a bench, a conversation flowing between them. A dark purple filly with two round lanterns on her flanks and a blank flanked pink alicorn filly each were carrying a box. The purple filly had a lilac mane and tail with a gold stripe in them while the alicorn had three colours in hers. They sat down as their conversation continued.

“I swear that our class gets longer and longer every day,” the purple filly said. “It’s almost like Ms. Psyga is making time slow down somehow.” She opened her box, pulling a tangerine out of it.

“Come on, Kimono,” the alicorn giggled. She pulled a bun with custard on it out of her box. “It’s not that bad. Ms. Psyga’s classes are fun!”

“You can’t honestly believe that, Cadance. Her class doesn’t make any sense,” Kimono deadpanned. “I mean really, Amore Arcane Arts? What place does love have in magic?”

“Love is a very powerful emotion,” Cadance remarked. “And magic is powered by emotion.”

“Who’d use love to power their magic? It’s a weird emotion that makes ponies act all loopy.”

“And it’s always fun to see ponies doing that.”

“You and I have very different definitions of fun. And isn’t watching love struck ponies- what was that word that my dad used, voyeuristic?”

“Really, Kimono. You have to look at it from a different…” Cadance stopped as she looked up above the walls surrounding the School. Kimono waved a hoof over Cadance’s eyes. Cadance pointed to the top of the walls. “Kimono! Look!” The purple pony followed the end of Cadance’s hoof. Walking along the wall were two of the Royal Guards, one unicorn and one pegasus. They were beside each other and having a casual conversation. Occasionally, the unicorn would gesture wildly making the pegasus laugh. The two stopped and leaned against the edge of the wall with their conversation continuing. Cadance squealed. “That’s so adorable!”

“Wait, what?” Kimono asked dumbfounded. “It’s two guards talking to each other. What’s so special about that?”

Cadance nudged Kimono. “Come now, you have to be able to see it.”

“See what?” Kimono looked to Cadance who had a goofy grin on her face. She turned to the guards and saw one of them wrap a foreleg around the other’s neck. Her head went back to Cadance who squealed louder when she saw the sight. The gears in Kimono’s mind clicked together. “Oh no. No, no, no, no, no, no. No. Cadance, it’s not what you think. There’s nothing between those two.”

Cadance gasped in shock. “How can you say that? Every day since the semester started, they’ve been walking together and talking!” she excitedly explained. “Not only that, but it’s clear that sometimes that the unicorn tells stories that the pegasus wouldn’t enjoy, but he makes an effort to listen anyways. And the unicorn always seems to be more animated and alive when he’s with that guard. Do you know that means?”

“That they’re really good friends and that the pegasus is trying to be polite?”

Cadance grabbed Kimono’s cheeks. “It means they’re in love! Sweet wonderful love! Isn’t it great?!” She let go of Kimono in favour of squealing into her hooves. “It’s just so cute!”

“Or it could mean that they’re friends who enjoy each other’s company.” Kimono rolled her eyes. “Not every action that two ponies do mean that they’re in love.”

“They’re in love, darn it!” Cadance screamed. “Just watch. By the time lunch is over, those two are going to do something that only couples do.”

“Bet you five bits that they won’t.”

“Keep your money, you’re definitely going to lose.”

Cadance and Kimono ate their lunches as they watched the guards. The guards’ original conversation had reached its end, leaving them to their break. Another started between them as they removed their helmets. Part of the unicorn’s mane fell over his eyes as his helmet was taken off. The pegasus reached out with his forelegs, parting part of his companion’s mane. Cadance squealed again making Kimono roll her eyes.

“Are you going to squeal every time something like that happens?” Kimono asked.

“I can’t help it, it’s just so adorable and intoxicating!” Cadance cheered. “I love love!”

“But they’re not…”

“They’re in love, darn it! Watch.” Cadance held her hooves up. Unknown to her and her companion, her horn gave off a gentle blue aura. Two barely visible hearts floated up from her horn towards the guards. “Now.” The hearts fused with the guards making them dazed. Cadance clapped her hooves together. “They’ll kiss.” A faint flash went off behind both of the guards. They looked at each other with half lidded eyes and sultry smiles on their faces. The unicorn placed a hoof under the peagus and said something. The pegasus chuckled and leaned in. Both ponies’ lips connected.

Stars sparkled in Cadance’s eyes as she squealed at an unheard frequency. “See?!” she said pointing. “See?! See?! I told you that they were in love!”

“Lucky guess,” Kimono stated. “You also told me that Aries and Pieces are in love. And all they do is argue with each other.”

“Don’t you see, Kimono?” Cadance giggled. “All that bickering is because there’s so much romantic tension between them that that’s the only way that they can express their love! All they need is time, and soon they’ll be drowning in love!”

“Sounds like a terrible fate.” A bell rung, making all of the fillies and colts turn to the school. They packed up their things and headed towards the nearest door. “Well, better get back. I guess I owe you five bits.”

“Keep your money,” Cadance said, packing her box. “I don’t want it. Love is its own reward.”

“Whatever you say. Do we have Practical Casting next or Alchemy?”

“I think Alchemy.”

Kimono nodded and followed the crowds with her box in tow. Cadance followed after her friend. She was too busy making romantic matches in her mind with her classmates that she didn’t notice the small silver flash on her flanks. Newly formed on her flanks was a blue gem in the shape of a heart hovering above two gold wires. Cadance giggled to herself, each paring in her mind looking more adorable to her than the last.