• Published 29th Jul 2013
  • 545 Views, 2 Comments

Sweet, Solemn, Sad - Shingo



A collection of short stories.

  • ...
3
 2
 545

Anticipation

Today was a special day for Pinkie. Granted, every day was special for the party pony but this particular day was extra special to her. Today was the day that she celebrated being a year older. Ordinarily she would celebrate with all of her friends and whatever family was close by whenever her birthday came around again. This year though, she decided to start it a different way.

Through careful planning, sugary sweet pleas, excessive partying, numerous favours, and what Pinkie called ‘super bribery’, she was able to secure a stone wall beneath Canterlot Castle to do whatever she pleased with it. Acquiring the wall was the first part of her birthday gift to herself. The second part required two individuals to help her: Princess Luna and Spike.

The three of them stood in front of the wall that Pinkie had acquired with chisels and mallets in each of their grasps. Their tools were worn with traces of powder on them and rubble sat at the base of the wall. The once clear wall had a large number of pictures carved into it. In all of them, an earth pony with a poofy mane and tail was featured. She had a wide smile on her face and was wearing a necklace with a balloon shaped gem on it. Every picture depicted the pony making others smile and laugh. Underneath some of them was nearly indecipherable texts. At the end of the wall was a picture of the pony floating with light radiating from her. She had a serene expression as well as her patented smile. The text underneath it showed a single sentence as well as the numbers 03 05 1103.

Pinkie held her tools in front of her, creating a small frame. She stuck her tongue out as she stared. “Perfect,” she said. “All it needs is colour.”

“Colour?” Luna asked. “You didn’t tell us that we had to colour it. Had I known, I could have arranged a painter to help us.”

“Oh you don’t want to do that,” Pinkie giggled. “We want to keep this small for now. And we can paint it later.”

“Good.” Spike dropped his tools. A large yawn came from him as his tools clattered on the ground. “It’s hard enough to do something like this, but to do it so early in the morning is insane. If we had to paint it, I’d probably go on strike.”

“And I’d probably join you,” Luna said. “I’m always happy to lend a helping hoof, but doing so much for so little gain is not worth it, even if it is your birthday, Pinkie.”

“Don’t worry about that, Spike’s done and you only have one more thing to do before you’re free, Luna.” Pinkie walked to a nearby chest. She dropped her tools beside it before opening it up. “Afterwards, we can enjoy the party I have planned.”

“I find it amazing that you’ve planned your own party along with this gift to yourself.” Spike held his hands out. Luna gave her tools to the dragon. “How do you find the time?”

“Scheduling.” Pinkie pulled a golden necklace out of the chest. At the center of the necklace was a cyan gem in the shape of a balloon. She tied it around her neck and faced Luna. “Are you sure that ponies can read it?”

“We’ve been writing in a somewhat dead version of Equestrian, but yes it can be deciphered,” Luna said.

“And it’s clear what’s happening in the pictures?”

Spike pointed at the pictures. “It should be pretty clear, you make ponies happy through song, through some supernatural powers you have, you live to see them smile, and you’re some kind of messiah that will bring happiness.”

“Great!” Pinkie tossed a scroll to Spike. “Remember this date. That goes for you too, Luna.”

Spike and Luna looked at the scroll. “These are the numbers you told us to carve into your mural,” Luna said. “And it’s eleven hundred years from today.”

“Yes they are and yes it is.”

“Why do you want us to remember this particular birthday of yours?” Spike asked.

“You’ll see.” Pinkie winked at them. “Luna, did you find what I was looking for?”

“I found a spell that will let you be there for two days and return five minutes later.” Luna frowned. “However, even the most talented unicorn will only be able to go a century forward. Eleven centuries seems unreachable.”

Pinkie tapped the gem. “That’s what this is for. That limitation is only because of a lack of energy, right?”

“Yes, but…”

“Then we’ll use the Element of Laughter to provide some energy,” Pinkie interrupted.

“That is not my main concern.”

“I don’t think time happens all at once. Tomorrow can’t alter today just as today can’t alter yesterday,” she continued. “It’ll work, Luna. Trust me.” Luna sighed and lit up her horn. A deep blue aura surrounded Pinkie and lifted her off the ground. She held her forelegs out to her sides as the gem on the necklace glowed. The aura around her grew in strength, its light matching the gem’s. The collective light grew in intensity blinding Spike. There was a gentle pop as if a bubble burst. When Spike’s vision returned, Pinkie was nowhere to be found.

“Did it work?” he asked.

“We’ll know in five minutes.” Luna looked at the mural. “This is quite the present she’s given to herself.”

“I know. Who would have thought that she’d literally forge her own legend?” Spike chuckled. “Though everything we’ve done with her makes sense now.”

“How do you think they’ll react when ‘Laughter returns'?”

Spike shrugged. “Who knows? Maybe they’ll react the same way Twilight did when you came back. Or they could celebrate the return of the messiah we’ve created.”

“You and I will see when we get there.”

“I look forward to it.”

A bright flash appeared in front of Spike and Luna accompanied the sound of a balloon popping. Pinkie dropped onto the ground with a smile too big for her face stretched across her muzzle.

“I see it worked,” Luna said. “Did you enjoy yourself?”

“More than you can even imagine!” Pinkie cheered. “Actually, no, that isn’t true. Both of you will know soon enough!” She removed the necklace and tossed it into the chest. Pinkie closed it, placing it on her back. “We’ll paint this in a week, sound good to you?”

“I’m fine with that,” Spike said.

“As am I.” Luna nodded.

“Great!” Pinkie walked by Spike and Luna. They followed her at a casual pace as she hummed to herself. “Oh! I almost forgot!” Pinkie stopped in her place and turned around.

“Luna, congratulations, and Spike, I’m so happy for you.” Pinkie turned back around and resumed her walk leaving Spike and Luna blinking in confusion.

“Wait, what? Congratulations on what?” Luna yelled.

“And what are you happy for me about?” Spike screamed.

“You’ll know when it happens!” Pinkie’s voice echoed. Spike and Luna looked at each other. They shrugged in unison before following after Pinkie.