• Published 29th Jul 2013
  • 546 Views, 2 Comments

Sweet, Solemn, Sad - Shingo



A collection of short stories.

  • ...
3
 2
 546

Permission

Twilight sat in front of a mahogany desk rubbing her foreleg. On the other side of the desk was a light brown earth pony stallion a balding grey mane and a pair of mutton chops to match it. A white collar and a black tie were around his neck and two pieces of spherical coal rolled in his right hoof. He sat in front of a pair of blinds that had been slightly opened allowing thin slits of sunlight to shine in the room. The stallion’s eyes were hardened and staring straight into Twilight. She tried to escape his gaze multiple times but failed at each attempt.

“So,” the stallion said. “Why is it that you pulled me aside on the day of my daughters’ birth?”

“Mr. Igneous, I just wanted to…”

“That’s Rock,” Igneous interrupted. “Only family and friends have the right to call me by my given name.”

Twilight gulped. “Alright then, Mr. Rock,” she continued. “I wanted to talk to you about something important.”

“What could be so important that you had to separate us from the celebration that my oldest daughter has put together for us?” he asked. Twilight continued rubbing her foreleg. “Well? I’m waiting.”

“Actually, since you brought her up,” Twilight squeaked. “I wanted to talk to you about Pinkie.”

Igneous stopped rolling the coal. “Go on.”

“We’ve been going out for roughly a year now.”

“I’m aware.” Igneous smiled. “She talks about you in her letters.”

“Really?”

“Yes. She goes on and on about how you brighten her world more than the sun. About how you’re the smartest and one of the most compassionate ponies she knows and about how much she cares about you.” The stallion’s eyes hardened again. Something else was combined with it, sending a chill down Twilight’s spine. Her wings flared out at the sight of his eyes. Igneous’ smile shifted into a slight frown. “Are you scared, Miss Sparkle?”

“No, not at all,” Twilight lied as she tried to close her wings. “Just a little cold, that’s all. My wings are really sensitive to temperature change. This happens a lot.” She nervously chuckled while Igneous’ expression remained the same.

“You should see a doctor if it’s a constant problem,” he said. Igneous placed his hooves on the desk. “But enough distractions, what is it about my daughter you want to talk about?”

Twilight fidgeted in place. “Your daughter means the world to me, Mr. Rock. She makes me happy. Though that isn’t saying much since it’s her special talent, but it’s a different kind of happiness. It’s like being satisfied, content with everything. And I only feel it whenever I’m around her.

“I love her, Mr. Rock. I love her more than most ponies can imagine. I’d give anything to her, protect her from any danger in the world, and I’d do anything to make her smile.”

“Where are you going with this, Miss Sparkle?” Igneous asked.

“I want to marry Pinkie,” Twilight said. She looked at the stallion across from her with determination radiating off her. “I want to stand at her side even when the world turns to ash. I want to be there to make her smile when sadness takes a hold of her. And I want her to be happy.” The two sat staring at each other, Igneous’ eyes still hard and sharp while Twilight’s burned with passion.

A beat passed and Igneous stood up. He placed a hoof over the coals. “You come to me to ask for my daughter’s hoof in marriage,” he said. Igneous pressed his weight on his hoof. Cracks began to form on the coals. “You ask this while my family and I are celebrating my children’s happiness. And you ask me to essentially let you be the sole pony responsible for her happiness.”

Igneous’ eyes brightened. A smile stretched across his muzzle. “You didn’t have to do that, Miss Sparkle,” he said. “Pinkamena is a grown mare; she can make her life changing decisions for herself.”

Twilight blinked. “So you’re fine with me asking her?” she asked.

“You make her happy, so long as you keep doing that, I have no quarrel with you. But let me say this before you do anything.” For the third time, Igneous’ eyes hardened. The coals under his hoof had more cracks form on their surface and multiple pieces fell off of them. The room’s temperature felt as if dropped ten degrees to Twilight. Her wings once again flared out and every instinct she had told her to run. Unfortunately, she couldn’t. “If you do anything to hurt Pinkamena, I will find you. And I will make the pain that you gave her feel like pleasure. In fact, you’ll be begging to go to Tartarus when I find you.”

“Is that a threat?” Twilight shakily asked.

“Threat? I do not make threats, Miss Sparkle,” Igneous chuckled. Twilight shivered as Igneous’ gaze bore deeper into her. Igneous made a cross over his chest. Twilight's eyes widened as he placed a hoof over his left eye. “Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye. Do you know what this is?” Twilight nodded. “Who do you think taught her that?” Igneous pressed his hoof onto the desk. The coals crumbled into dust under its weight.

“Princess or not, I will keep this promise. Are we clear?”

“Crystal,” Twilight stuttered.

“Good.” Igneous reached for a hat on his desk. “Then we should get back to the party. Don’t want to keep them waiting.” Twilight stood up and headed towards the exit. “One more thing.”

Twilight turned around. A small shimmering object was flying straight towards her. She caught it and brought it to her eyes. Floating in her magical grip was a diamond just big enough for a piece of jewellery. Twilight looked at the desk’s surface. Along with various pieces of coal and black dust were small diamonds. Each scattered and covered in the black powder.

“We have a little tradition where we create the ring ourselves,” Igneous said as he walked around his desk. “This will give you a head start.”

“Thank you, Mr. Rock.”

“Think nothing of it.” Igneous opened the door, ushering Twilight out of his office. He silently closed it and walked alongside his future daughter-in-law with a small smile on his face.