• Published 27th Jul 2013
  • 3,461 Views, 38 Comments

Equine Effect - Not so Elite



The Mane 6 discover Liara's time capsule and find out about the Reapers

  • ...
8
 38
 3,461

3. The Dream, the Vision, the Nightmare

Spike and Rarity were somewhere out in the Rambling Rock Ridge doing some gem hunting for Rarity's summer fashion line coming up soon, she wanted these dresses to look better and more original than ever before. A theme she had been experimenting on lately was armor-like outfits, because of royal guards being around Ponyville protecting the newly appointed Princess Twilight.

It was in the later hours of the day and Spike was getting a little anxious about wanting to go back home, for Rarity's sake of course.

"Hey Rarity, it's getting a little late. Do you think we should start heading back now?" asked a worried Spike who was right behind his crush pulling a red wagon almost full of rubies and other precious gems.

"Oh I know it's getting dark but I need just a few more for my new line. Just a little longer ok Spike?"

Spike sighed, "Only for you Rarity."

"Thank you my Spikey Wikey."

Spike let out a little blush when he noticed something unusual in the distance to their left, "Uh, Rarity?"

"Yes Darling?"

"What's that thing?" He suspiciously pointed at what looked like a metallic structure. Upon getting a closer look at it they noticed just how big it really was. The almost flower looking structure towered over them.

The mysterious artifact had multiple arms that aimed upwards then arched outwards, there was a mysterious object inside the center that had a greenish glow that activated when they got within a few feet from it.

"I have no idea" Answered a cautious Rarity.

She circled around it while keeping a small space between her and this discovery, when suddenly she felt a sharp pain go through her head and rushed through her entire body.

An invisible force lifted and suspended her up in the air. Spike tried to jump to her rescue, but a defense mechanism activated and he ended up being shocked and thrown down to the ground unconscious.

Rarity didn't know what was going on outside of her head, she was experiencing something like a dream... Or a nightmare. She was seeing a vision of the end of days, no, she was seeing the end of everything. She saw her friends and everything she knew being destroyed before her very eyes. She saw large machine-like beings that made a noise so intense it sounded like the shriek of the damned, only it was coming from inside her own head. Tearing right through her skull, it almost made it impossible for her to think.

She let out a painful cry, yelling at the top of her lungs to make everything stop. Then she also fell to floor and sunk into unconsciousness.

...

A few hours later, Spike woke up and saw Rarity laying helplessly on the ground. He tried waking her but all of his attempts didn't work. It was now nighttime and Spike didn't want to wait and see what dangers there could be out here.

"Rarity please wake up! We have to get back to Ponyville!" She didn't respond at all.

He put his head on her chest to make sure she at least still had a pulse. After being relieved by hearing her calm heartbeat he gathered some dead wood and made a fire to watch over her for the night, he would head home and get help in the morning.

When morning came and she still didn't wake up, Spike urgently ran to Ponyville to get Twilight and the rest of the gang to help Rarity...

...

Rarity's eyes slowly opened and she found herself in the Ponyville Hospital and was relieved by the sight of her friends whom she saw die during her vision with the Reaper artifact.

"Oh I'm so glad you're all alive! Where's Spike? Where is he?!!"

Her friends tried calming her down, it had been 8 hours since Spike had led them to Rarity and brought her home. Twilight was right next to her dear friend holding her hoof as she was in the unusual sleeping state, and was the first to speak up. "Rarity relax! Spike is doing ok he's here too, he's sleeping because he watched over you last night. He told us everything that happened and about the structure you found, no wonder you never came home. We've already sent a team over to secure it. You two have been through a lot and you need some--"

A voice from behind interrupted her, it was Nurse Redheart, "Now please don't overwhelm our patient, she needs to relax with all the stress built up in her."

"No no, I'm fine really."

"You sure? From the looks of your stats, you've been through a lot recently. We noticed that while you were unconscious, you had rapid eye movement. Something that usually occurs during intense or lucid dreaming."

Rarity shuddered and fear flooded her entire being as she recalled what she experienced, "I saw, oh... I don't know what I saw. My friends were being burned right before my very eyes, all of Equestria was in ruins! There were these immense beings that destroyed everything they saw, they made a noise so maddening and terrifying it made you want your head want to explode! It sounded as if it were the shriek of the Changelings, only it felt like it was originating from your own mind. I fear Equestria is in grave danger, I know how unreal all this may sound."

Applejack now spoke up, "We believe ya Rare, we know exactly what you saw and its all true. Equestria IS in danger, the Reapers are a'comin back and we were about to go and warn every pony when Spike came to town and started rambling about that thing y'all discovered."

"Oh my goodness, something needs to be done before its too late!" Silently yelled a terrified Fluttershy.

"Oh we're gonna do something about it alright, we are going to wait for these 'Reapers' and we are going to show them the magic of friendship!" Exclaimed an ever so confident Rainbow Dash.

"Now Rainbow Dash, we still don't have much information on them, we'll have to check the codex when Rarity gets better." Explained Twilight.

"Oh don't let me slow down your progress Twilight, saving Equestria is more important than a single mare such as I."

After giving Rarity's point some thought, Twilight agreed "You're right Rarity, it's imperative that we learn as much as we can from Liara's time capsule and get to work right away! Lets go girls."

"Don't worry Rare, we'll be back as soon as we can ok?" Assured Pinkie Pie.

"You can count on us. We'll be back for you, then we'll save Equestria."

"I know you will, Twilight", responded a more relaxed Rarity. She slowly laid her head down on the hospital bed, then closed her eyes and smiled, "I know you will."

...

The 5 friends got back to the capsule and started to take in the knowledge it contained once again.

"The planets of the main council species are Thessia, which is the homeworld of my people; the Asari. Palaven, the Turian homeworld. Surkesh, the world of the Salarians. And finally Earth, the homeworld of the Humans.

"There are other races that exist during this cycle, but if you want information on those, you will have to access the 'Non Council Races' section."

"Hmm, the human world sounds very interesting, with a name like Earth. Wait, didn't the humans colonize this planet during their cycle?" Asked Twilight, who was accessing the codex and was so very interested in everything about the cycle before her.

"Why yes, this planet was known to the humans as Eden Prime. It became a symbol for humans, to them it meant that they were ready for life among the stars alongside other species."

Rainbow Dash shook her head and asked to nopony in particular, "Wait a minute, Eden Prime? That's our planets name? I thought--"

Twilight blocked out what Dash was saying while she was lost in her own thoughts as she was thinking things out in her head. 'We're going to need to use this Mass Effect technology to prepare for the Reapers, we also need to start creating ships for space travel. It would be wise for my friends and I to start taking military training to prepare for war. We need to make new weapons and armor. Oh we have so much to do, And we don't even know how much time we have to ready ourselves! I must report all of this to Princess Celes-- Oh wait, I don't have to report to anyojne now that I'm a princess. Duh!'

"Okay okay, where can we acquire this technology that you rely on?" Twilight was now done with her own thought process.

"There is both a benefit and a drawback from Mass Effect technology. It's based on Reaper tech, it's what every race eventually depends upon. It is a gamble as it serves advanced enough for whatever reasons you have for using it, at the same time you know it's their technology that you're relying on. This only proves just how formidable and clever your current foe is."

"Well isn't there a way we can avoid and fight the Reapers without their own toys?" Pinkie Pie was actually listening to the VI.

"Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be another way. Only Mass Effect technology can give you the adequate advancements, it can provide Faster Than Light travel and helps to create biotics and greatly improves your firepower."

Applejack didn't like this and was very upset, "Gah! The Reapers are givin us no choice but to play this game by their rules! It's cheatin is what it is! There must be some way we can beat'em without using their tech."

"What about magic? Can that be used against them?" Twilight was looking forward to hearing Liara's answer to this question.

"I'm sorry, but my programming is limited and cannot answer that question for you. From the archives I was given though, magic is considered a myth. Nothing more."

The ponies all gave eachother dumbfounded and confused looks. Now it was Twilight's turn to be angry...

Author's Note:

Ok so you see that vid I linked? Its the theme of this chapter! I understand my writing is not as good as you'd like, this was the only way I could get this story out there since I don't have a team of animators at my command. So hopefully these will put some more feel into the chapters from here on out.