• Published 25th Jul 2013
  • 623 Views, 20 Comments

Sides of the Same Coin - Ventan



Max woke up to find out that Scootaloo rescued him from the Everfree Forest. Sense then, he hangs around Scootaloo and the CMC only to find out that he might have feelings for a certain filly.

  • ...
12
 20
 623

...then there was conflict...

After the CMC's failed attempted to earn their "Mayor Assistant Cutie Mark", they walked back to the club house ready to call it a day.

The day was almost over. Celestia's sun was on the horizon, readying itself for Luna's night. Applebloom said that she was going home first. She had to help out in the farm so she needs to sleep early. Sweetie Bell followed, saying that her sister had put up a curfew and she needs to go home. That only left Max, Aurora, and Scootaloo at the tree house. Max was tired, and by the looks of it, so is Aurora and Scootaloo. Who knew that working as the Mayor's assistant could be so tiring. Especially when the office's documents were on fire for some apparent reason. Luckily, the documents were only copies and were replaced.

Scootaloo finally broke the silence. "Hey, Max," Scootaloo asked, "You and Aurora need a place to stay?"

Aurora thought for a moment. She liked sleeping outside, but it has been a while since she slept with Max (The Waterfall of Forgiveness awaits. -By Brony Hectic).

"Sure, " Max replied, " I really don't have a place to go to anyways." Which is true. Max ran from the only home he had. Besides Aurora, no one really cared about him. At least, that what he feels. "Why do I feel that anyways," Max wondered. He parishes the thought. Feeling it made him sick.

Aurora noticed Max's sick face, and couldn't help but make a questioning face. "Max," Aurora asked, "are you ok?"

Max looked at Aurora and forced a "don't worry" face. Aurora wasn't so sure of that face, but she let the idea go away. Though, she decided to keep a close eye on him.

~Fast forward!!~

The time was night as soon the sun sets it's ending trip. Max, Aurora, and Scootaloo slept in the tree house. The night was cool and calm. Not a pony in sight; not a critter to be heard. Max was having his dream again. “No,” he thought to himself, ” it’s not a dream. More like a chance to talk to Xam face to face. So why do I feel… betrayed. I should ask him.”

The scene was the same: Max and Xam under the spotlight surrounded by darkness. Max is in the dream with Xam. He slowly opened his eyes in the dream.


“Here we are again. Nice to see you…kinda.”

“Same.”

“Kinda funny, don’t you think? Us talking all casual while you want to control me.”

“It is, isn’t it.”

“So, what now?”

*raises an eyebrow* ”What do you mean?”

“I mean, what are we going to do now? Our… childhood friend is here. Our rescuer is here. I can’t remember a thing, but it looks like you do. To top it all, I still don’t know who I am?”(Recommend to go to here. Go to 2:36. It really sets the mood.)

“Max…”

“Xam… Who am I?”

“…”

“You and I share the same body. But you want to take over this body like it originally belonged to you. Right?”

“…Yeah. That’s right.”

“Is it that if I’m out of the picture, you can spend all the time with Aurora, Scootaloo, and the CMC; that you don’t need me anymore? Do you feel that way, Xam?”

“Of course not! You’re my best friend.”

“Best friends are honest with each other! Who am I? You keep pushing me away from the truth. Why? Am I the same as you?”

“You and I are obviously different.”

“Then-“

“The truth isn’t going to make you feel better, Max.”

“How do you know that!? I HAVE THE RIGHT TO KNOW WHO I AM!”

“…”

“Why am I here? Why do I exist? Why am I even here? I DESERVE TO KNOW THOSE ANSWERS!”

“Max…”

“Are you going to tell me or not, Xam? Who am I?”

“You’re just going to have to trust me, Max.”

“…No. I can’t trust you.”

“Max.”

Max turned and walked away from Xam and headed into the darkness.

“I need to know the truth about me. Who I am… I want to know why do I exist. If I learn that, then I …”

As he walked aimlessly, he began to wonder if it was the right move. “I want to know the truth about me. I have no reason to be here anymore.” He told himself before he confirmed that he wants to continue.

As he continued, he sees Xam waiting in front of a door. It looks like an ordinary door, wood and all. Max decided to keep walking, and the door was the exit. He walked past Xam, but was stopped.

“So you’ve made up your mind?”

“Why do I exist? I have to know.”

“It’s going to destroy you! The Door's memories could wipe your existence!”

“No one would miss me.”

“That’s not true! I would miss you; Aurora would miss you; BUCKING CELESTIA, SCOOTALOO WOULD MISS YOU!”

The last comment made Max stop in his tracks. He may forget about Scootaloo, but he feels that Scootaloo would be hurt more then he is around her. He confirmed himself and opened the door.( You can stop here.)


“Max!” Xam screamed when he shot himself up. It was still nighttime, midnight to be exact. Surprisingly, his scream didn’t wake up the two girls. Xam was panicking, hard. He might just have lost his other self. He tried to talk to Max. Nothing. No response. No presence. No…Max. Xam curled himself up and started to regret. Now Max will never return; Aurora's friend: gone. Xam couldn't take it anymore. He stood up and screamed at the top of his lungs. Out of sheer unknowingness, he bolted out of the door, unaware that he woke up Scootaloo and Aurora. He jumped from the porch to the ground and looked around, desperately looking; trying to find Max.

"Max! Max," Xam shouted, still looking around to find Max, "Where are you!?"

Scootaloo and Aurora sheepishly walked out of the door to see Xam. After a few seconds, their brain finally clicked and realized something's wrong. They looked at each other and understood immediately. They jumped down and tackled Xam to the ground. Xam tries to struggle free, desperately searching for Max, but Scootaloo and Aurora’s weight together held Xam long enough for him to calm down.

After a few more seconds, Xam finally did calm down. Before Scootaloo and Aurora ask him what happened, Xam said, “He’s gone. He’s really gone.”

He inhaled one more time and screamed for the last time. Scootaloo and Aurora knew without him explaining; Max was gone. All three little ponies cried, but the rain never reviled the tears that were sheed.

Author's Note:

I know, short chapter. To be honest, school got to me and now I RARELY even have free time. Don't worry. I will continue. I actually intend to make a spin off. This story will continue as Xam takes over, but I'm going to make another story where Max/Xam's past will be reviled. The spinoff will be in Max's POV . Eventually, the two stories will be combine together again and it will go on from there.

Lastly, I still need a proofreader and an editor. I can't proofread my story. I need someone's else POV into this. And to finalize: CRITIQUE!!!!!!