• Published 24th Jul 2013
  • 3,000 Views, 57 Comments

Give me Wings to Fly - Shrapmo



Big Macintosh gets a push in the right direction from a certain cyan pegasus.

  • ...
5
 57
 3,000

Chapter 3: Waterside Lullaby

Quiet, peaceful, tranquil. The only sounds were the gentle noises of the pond. Big Macintosh absolutely loved this place, where nothing could disturb his peaceful thoughts.

The burly stallion methodically walked around rocks and roots, as he had done so many times before, the locations memorized from years of coming to this special spot.

Mac sighed in contentment as he sat down on a stump and removed the thermos of Granny’s apple soup from his collar. Pouring a cup full, he sat and enjoyed the sights, sounds and smells of the pond. Everything here was perfect, and his alone to enjoy.

Finishing his cup of soup, the stallion closed his thermos and set it aside. He smiled as he picked up the worn black case and expertly flipped the latches open. Taking a look in all directions one last time to make sure nopony had followed him, he removed the object inside.

________________________________________________________________________________


Rainbow had to ditch her cloud and go on hoof the moment Mac entered the thick trees. Going into full spy mode, she sprang from trunk to trunk, making sure the stallion wouldn’t spot her. “Why is he going so deep into the trees?” Dash whispered to herself.

Wishing she had her ninja outfit right about now, she continued to follow the crimson stallion, being sure not to loose site of him.

As she followed him deeper into the orchard the trees became thicker, and she began to loose site of his crimson coat. Panicking, she looked back and forth trying to spot a patch of red fur.

After wondering around aimlessly for a short spell, she heard a deep humming sound, followed shortly there after by something that sounded like music. “What in the hay?” Dash followed the source of said noise to a thicker section of trees.

When she poked her head through the leaves, she found Big Macintosh sitting next to a pond. Rainbow ducked down so he wouldn’t notice her, and continued to study him.

“What is he doing,” she whispered to herself. She discovered that Mac was the source of the humming, with his head tilted down and his concentration on something in his lap. Dash couldn’t see what he was holding from this angle.

She ducked back into the trees and went around to the far side of the pond. Peeking out again she saw that Mac was holding something akin to a small guitar, scratch that, it was a VERY small guitar.

Dash covered her face as she stifled a laugh. Mac looked so funny holding that tiny thing. She would almost say such a big pony holding such a little instrument looked cute, if she had ever used the word ‘cute’ to describe anything.

She stopped laughing as Big Mac started humming again then plucked one of the strings, turning one of the knobs at the top so the string’s tone matched his humming. “Wow, I never would have pictured Mac as the musical type of pony.” Dash continued to watch him fiddle with the instrument.

“He must be tuning it,” she shrunk lower to the ground and gave Big Mac her full attention. Her tail swishing back in forth in anticipation as to what he would do next.

“I wonder why he has to come out here to play… maybe he is just really bad and embarrassed someone will make fun of him.” Dash briefly toyed with the thought that she might be intruding on a deep personal secret, but it quickly passed.

Her ears perked up as the stallion gave a full strum of his instrument. “He’s going to play something!”

________________________________________________________________________________


Big Macintosh gave his instrument a strum “Eyup, sounds just fine.” He gave it a couple more strums just to be sure it stayed in tune. Satisfied, the large earth pony began to play.

It felt like ages since he had gotten to do this, if he wasn’t so embarrassed of it he could play whenever he wanted too. Yet he was sure that Applejack would never stop making fun of him if she ever saw.

He would absolutely DIE if Rainbow Dash ever saw him playing, 'she might think I look like a foal if she ever saw me like this,' he thought miserably. Big Macintosh had decided long ago that he wouldn’t tell a soul his secret.

Big Mac, the strong and burly apple farmer… played the ukulele. The strong stallion blushed out of shame.

It wasn't like playing an instrument was a foalish thing to do, it wasn't even because the ukulele was a bad instrument! Heck, when his Pa had originally given it to him as a foal, he thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Yet after some time, Big Mac had started to grow, he grew so much that pretty soon playing it seemed pretty ridiculous. The instrument looked positively microscopic in his hooves and it didn't take long for him to hide his talent from the world. Not even Applejack knew he still played the thing.

Shaking his large head in shame, Big Macintosh continued to play his beloved ukulele. Strumming an old song his Pa had taught him, his mind conjured up memories of his father. Mac wiped away a stray tear as it fell from his eye, he wished that old stallion was still alive, he had learned so much from the him.

Whether it was applebucking, plowing, barn raising or the proper way to treat a mare, that old apple-farming stallion always new what was what. Smiling to himself, Mac recalled the time his Pa had introduced him to music.

Big Mac always loved watching his Pa, Jonathan Apple, play the guitar. He would bring it out every night after the days work was done, and perform old songs for him and his little sister Applejack. Mac would always marvel at his father’s ability to make such beautiful noise come from a simple piece of wood, and would excitedly ask for lessons.

Jonathan would always smile and give Mac the guitar, yet it was far too big for the skinny colt. “We’ll hafta wait until ya get a bit bigger, when you’re able to pick it up proper,” his father would always tell him. Mac would always sigh and walk away dejectedly.

One day, after applebucking, his Pa called him into the barn. “Ah got a surprise for ya Mac,” his father said as he mussed up Mac’s mane with a large hoof. “What is it Pa?” The little red colt ran around his Pa’s legs in excitement as they entered the old dusty barn.

Jonathan smiled at the excitable colt and grabbed a black case off his workbench. Passing the case to his son he explained, “Ah got this here from a seed merchant when Ah was in Fillydelphia last week.” Mac opened the case and his eyes went wide.

Inside was what appeared to be a miniature guitar, one that was the perfect size for him. “That there is a ukulele son, smaller than a guitar and has 2 less strings, but Ah figured it would be a good start for you to learn,” Jonathan smiled as his son picked up the small instrument and hugged it to his chest.

“Ah’m not to certain on how ta play it yet, but the merchant did tell me the tuning fer it, so Ah thought that maybe you and me could learn it together,” Mac looked up as his father said this, his eyes gleaming. “What do ya think Little Mac?” Jonathan smiled as his son jumped up and wrapped his small forelegs around his barrel.

Big Mac stopped playing as the song ended. He and his father certainly did learn how to play. “Best time of mah life,” Mac whispered as he rubbed the mist out of his eyes. He loved his ukulele and all of the memories that came with it. Yet he was still ashamed to be seen with it.

The workhorse shook his head again as he started up another song, a lullaby his father would always sing to Applejack and himself when they couldn't sleep. Big Mac cleared his throat and in a deep voice began to sing.

________________________________________________________________________________


“Wow, he’s not half bad,” Dash whispered as Mac unknowingly continued his private performance for her. The instrument the stallion played was much higher sounding than a normal guitar, and it just had a happy feel to it.

The pegasus mare slunk lower into the brush as she moved closer to the performing stallion. She had to admit, even with the comically undersized instrument in his hooves, Mac still made it look pretty cool. “Maybe musicians just look cool no matter what,” an image of a stallion playing an accordion passed through her mind, “well, maybe not ALL musicians.”

As she got ever closer she could hear Mac gently singing, but she couldn't understand what was being sung. Dash would have to get even closer if she wanted to hear. She looked up and noticed a branch hanging right over Mac’s head.

“Bingo,” Rainbow smirked and soundlessly flew into the treetops with a flap of her wings. Bounding from branch to branch, she eventually arrived at her destination directly above Big Mac.

Now that she could hear the stallion clearly, she settled onto her haunches and looked down on him as he sang.

Hush, little foals
and lay your heads down,
when day's light has left us
don't fear any sound.

Hush now little foals
it's time that you rest,
and dream of tomorrow
tucked in your warm nest.

Fly away, Fly away dream of afar.
Dream of the forest and creatures there are.
Fly away, Fly away see the unknown.
Find peace and love so your heart fully grows.

Sleep tight little foals
don't quake in the dark,
and hold fast the knowledge
that we'll never part.

Rainbow was so entranced by the music that she didn't notice the branch slowly bending underneath her. With a loud *SNAP* the branch gave out and before she could think twice, Rainbow Dash fell down upon the unsuspecting stallion.

________________________________________________________________________________


Big Macintosh stopped playing as the sound of snapping wood erupted from above him. Before he had the chance to look up a great weight came down upon his head.

*BONK*

The branch made the poor stallion see stars, but before he had the chance to check his fresh wound, another weight landed hard in his lap. Big Mac rubbed his head, which would surely produce a large lump in the morning, as he looked down.

To his surprise, Mac no longer held his ukulele. His arms were now full of a very-disheveled looking Rainbow Dash. The farmer closed his eyes and shook his head several times. When he opened them, the pretty mare was still there.

“What in tarnation?” Mac tried to stand up, but the branch and pegasus kept him firmly planted on his rump.

Rainbow shook the leaves and twigs from her mane as she realized just where she had landed. Looking up into a pair of very large, and very shocked green eyes she chuckled nervously, “Hey there Big Mac, fancy meeting you here.”

“Um… hello Miss Rainbow Dash… uh,” the surprised stallion fumbled with his words, “w-what are you uh… doin here?” The last thing Big Mac had expected was for his crush to literally land in his lap, at his favorite spot, while he was doing his favorite thing. He would have counted it as a good situation, if he wasn't so confused and nervous.

“Hehe, oh you know, I was just flying over the orchard and saw you down here all alone, and it looked like you could use a little Rainbow Dash in your life so… here I am!” Rainbow chuckled nervously as she looked away, a faint blush on her cheeks.

Big Mac cocked an eyebrow and looked up, noting that the tops of the trees completed blotted out the sky. “But Miss Rainbow, there would be no way ta see me from up there,” Mac stated in confusion.

“Oh, ya don’t say huh,” Dash scrambled to change the subject as she leapt from Mac’s lap, ‘which was way to cozy’ she thought to herself. “I saw you playing your instrument there, you’re pretty good,” she saw his face light up with an intense blush that could be seen through his red coat, as he stared at her wide-eyed. “So, while I’m here, how about a private concert?” She grinned wickedly, knowing she had completely taken the attention off her little fall.

Big Mac fumbled for a bit, ‘she thought I was good’ he thought in surprise as his blush increased ten-fold. ‘What should I play for her?’ His second thought made him even more nervous and he decided to distract himself by fidgeting with his ukulele… that he discovered was nowhere near him.

“Hey, where’d your little guitar go?” Dash looked around for said instrument, but it had vanished.

“Little guitar? You mean my ukulele,” Mac shook himself from his stupor and began looking around him. He lifted the branch from his shoulder and tossed it to the side, as Rainbow observed his strength with an appreciative stare.

“That thing is called a ukulele? That’s a weird name,” the mare scowled slightly. “I thought it was just a little guitar for a foal or something,” Dash walked next to Mac as they looked for the small instrument. “So, it’s just a small instrument from the get-go huh?” She questioned as they searched around the pond.

“Eeyup, it’s jus' made that way. It’s what gives it that special sound.” Big Mac felt a little less nervous as Rainbow Dash seemed to be interested in his hobby, at least enough to ask about it.

“So Miss Rainbow, ya never did tell me how you ended up watching me.” Mac started, he figured breaking the ice was for the best in this situation. He was still a little confused and afraid that Rainbow might spread the word around Ponyville that Big Mac played a little instrument. Yet it didn't seem that the mare had followed him to get any blackmail. Still, you could never be to certain with the infamous Rainbow Dash.

Rainbow’s ears folded back as she looked anywhere but Mac’s face, ‘might as well tell the truth,’ she thought in defeat. “Well, I was just floating around on a cloud, bored to tears,” she mumbled. “I saw you down in the field working, and then when you walked off into the orchard I followed you,” Dash turned to look the stallion in the eye.

“Uh, you mean to say you were spyin on me?” Mac was very confused now, why would THE Rainbow Dash be spying on him? She was one of the most popular ponies in Ponyville, one of the Elements of Harmony AND a Wonderbolts trainee! He was just a plain old farmer.

“Why would ya do a thing like that? I’m nothin special or anything.” Mac looked down and scuffed a hoof at the dirt.

“What? You are like one of the coolest stallions in Ponyville! You’re totally worth spying on!” Rainbow said confidently. “I just wasn't expecting you to play such a small instrument… or ANY instrument at all!” The pegasus walked up to the workhorse. “Why don’t you play it for anypony? You’re pretty awesome when you do.” Dash winked as she turned and walked towards the pond.

‘She said I was cool,’ Mac made a goofy grin as he looked to the side. “Well, it bein such a small instrument and all, and me being such a big pony, I always thought it made me look kinda foalish.” Mac scratched the back of his head with a hoof.

“Well, you do look kind of silly, but you play really…” Rainbow cut herself off and Mac looked up at her. “What’s wrong?” The stallion asked as he slowly walked towards the silent mare.

“I think I just found your ukulele Mac.” Rainbow pointed toward the center of the pond, where the neck of the instrument could be seen sinking into the water, and disappearing under the surface with a tiny gurgle.

Author's Note:

The song was inspired by "Come little Children" by Erutan.
It was featured in the video "Children of the Night"

source:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW5n3k2VgZE