• Published 23rd Jul 2013
  • 634 Views, 36 Comments

When In A Shadow - BassMaker



Even from within the shadow, you can still see the light. This is the story of Vinyl Scratch and Octavia Philharmonica

  • ...
2
 36
 634

Chapter Three: What Happened (To You)?

The normally pristine, perfect, elegant living room of Octavia Philharmonica was in complete disarray. Every one of her sixteen paintings were crooked; what's more, they were all at the seemingly exact same angle. Her three couches, which were placed for perfect symmetry, were not only off kilter, but one was upside down. The curtains were open and shining down on one ash grey, charcoal maned mare.

"Ngh..." I'm afraid to ask myself, but... What the happened last night? Hmm, nothing? No memory what-so-ever? Oh well, maybe it's for the best. Alright, upsy-daisy. I try to sit up only to find that it was harder than it sounded. Where am I? I'm at home, I know that, but where? Looking around, I find that I'm laying across the back of one of my couches... that was upside down.

Okay, how about we review what we can? Let's see, last night, I played at my ensemble's concert. Afterword, I went to go and replace my cello strings. Yes, and then I met Vinyl- VINYL! Where is she? I manage to roll quite gracefully (not) off the couch.

"Vinyl! Are you still here?" Oh, I hope she's alright.

"Shhhh, 'Taaaaviiii. Make quiet happen," said a small voice from nearby.

"Vinyl, where are you?"

"I'm praying to the great rum gods to have mercy."

"Sounds like you're under the couch." The couch that I was just on top of.

"Yeah, it's nice and dark in here. You should come down here."

"Vinyl... Get up."

"Wait, I gotta find my glasses." Purple lensed, black framed obstructions more like it. I still don't know why she's got to wear such horrid eyewear. How can she even see?.

"Why?"

"Why what?"

"The glasses, why do you wear them?"

"Filly, nopony gets to see me without my glasses. Even if the princesses asked my to take them off, I wouldn't."

"That still doesn't answer my question."

"You want to know what I just realized?"

"What?" She's avoiding my question.

"Breakfast sounds really nice. Doesn't it?"

"Well..." Wait, why is she still here?

"Vinyl, why are you still here?" There was a long pause. That was tactless. Never let it be said that I'm anti-social, I'm just socially awkward. I nearly facehoof at the thought.

"Oh, FUCK!"

"Pardon?"

"My stuff. It was out all night, unguarded."

"Where is your stuff?"

"Remember where we met?" I shook my head. "You asked me why I was there after your concert?"

"Possibly..."

"If you and I are thinking the same thing, which actually, when does that ever happen? Anyway, yes, I'm homeless, and yes, just about everything I own is probably gone. Everything except my turn-tables, at least."

"Well then, let's go and get them," I say, perhaps a little too forcefully.

"Where am I going to put it though?"

"In the spare study, where else?"

"Wha-?"

"I need somepony to make sure this house isn't so Celestia damned quiet. You seem somewhat rowdy, but good hearted, and, what's more, you need a place to stay. I've certainly got the room." Why? Because I need somepony to come home to. You're not quite what I had in mind, but it looks like my wish came true.

"Why?" I just- Wait, those were just thoughts. Think, think, think!

"Uhh- Because you need it, and because I need more friends. So come on whaddya say?"

"Okay, bu-" At that moment Vinyl Scratch learned something very important: hooves are kinda disgusting.

"No." Blunt and to the point. "Now, stop dilly-dallying, and get your flank in to gear. I can't imagine turn-tables being very light."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wubbsy! Oh my Celestia, you're alright! Do you still have all your songs?" *Click* "Yes, everything's still here. Do you still work?" *WUB!* "Oh! Glorious day this!"

"Wubbsy? Really?"

"Yes Wubbsy."

'Wubbsy' was currently situated at the back of a deplorable dead-end alleyway strewn with trash and over-clichéd items.

"Well, it's time to get Wubbsy home, then. I don't want to spend any more time than necessary here."

"Understandable. It does kinda stink like a week-old cadaver."

"How long did you stay here?"

"Only a few weeks. I was about to move again anyways, that's why all my super important stuff was inside Wubbsy."

"Smart. Where did you get Wubbsy?"

"Get? As in 'buy'? You under estimate me, I made Wubbsy... from Scratch." At which point my eye began twitching uncontrollably.

"Never, ever make a pun like that again," I hissed. "Understood?" A feeble nod is the only response I got. "Good. Now let's be back home by lunch."

"Uhh, 'Tavi." *twitch* "It's more like dinner time. Heh."

"You're kidding, right?"

"Look up."

"I'm gonna have fun with my ensemble tomorrow."
***************************************************************************************************************************
A/N: Hey so maybe I lied, unintentionally of course, but I got distracted. By an amazing fanfiction, I was reading it all day, and then I was all like "Fuck, I need to work on When In A Shadow (WIAS), Eh, I'll finish this fanfic first and so I did the link is here. I'm sorry not 1000 words like I said but meh. {(EDIT!!!!) Hey look at that, I was wrong, 1,012. YES!} It's a cute one, all of you should look at it. Now please, be aggressive with those thumbs. Look at this!