• Published 22nd Jul 2013
  • 3,024 Views, 42 Comments

Mindcracked - mathwiz617



Ponies in the popular Minecraft server, Mindcrack.

  • ...
5
 42
 3,024

Through the Portal, and What Twilight Found There (redone)

Twilight looked out the window in her bedroom. Outside, thunder rumbled as the Royal Guard’s pegasus unit tried to pick apart what seemed to be Discord’s latest attempt at getting her to stay awake. It was a large storm, and more importantly, very loud. She saw a few lightning bolts strike before she closed the curtains. She then lit a candle and sat down at her desk. If she wasn’t going to sleep, she may as well start on the next day’s work.

The next morning, she woke with a start as Spike shook her shoulder. She didn’t remember falling asleep, but it didn’t matter. Looking at the paperwork strewn across her desk, she sighed as she noticed that she had drooled a little overnight. Fortunately, none of the scrolls were damaged, but still.

Checking outside, she was pleased to see absolutely no storm damage. However, some guards were standing around some strange object in the middle of the statue garden. Throwing open the window, Twilight flew outside and down to the group. “What did Discord do this time?” she asked.

“Actually,” Discord said from behind her, “I didn’t do anything. This… thing won’t even respond to my powers. I tried making it green, but nope, nothing. I didn’t even make the storm last night.”

“Right,” Twilight sighed. “So, if you didn’t do this, what did?”

“I don’t know,” Discord snarked. “I just got here. These guards have been looking it over all morning. Ask them.”

Turning to the guards, Twilight recognized the top ranking pony. "Lieutenant," she asked him, "what's going on here?"

"Well, Your Highness," he began, "we really don't know. This structure appeared last night during the storm. Obviously, it's dark purple with a light purple center, but beyond that, we have no idea what it is."

Twilight thought for a second. "Clear both sides," she instructed, levitating some nearby stones. Once they did as instructed, she shot the stones at the structure, aiming at different places. As they struck, most bounced off without damaging the thing, but the stone that flew through the middle disappeared.

"Where'd it go?" one of the younger guards asked, looking around the structure.

"My guess, some other dimension," Twilight said. "This must be a portal, like the one in the Crystal Empire. I think Princess Celestia should know about this."


"Come on, Princess," Twilight pleaded. "Please let me go through. I am one of the two living ponies to traverse different dimensions."

Princess Celestia seemed reluctant. "After your description of the last world you went to, I am hesitant to send you to another. What if you don't come back?"

"But I will," Twilight said. "It'll just be a quick exploration, to see if there's intelligent life on the other side. I've always dreamed of making first contact with a new species."

Celestia sighed. "If I can't talk you out of it, I might as well help ensure your safe return. I shall have the cooks prepare some bread and apples. You should also keep a journal, so your description won’t be as… haphazard as last time.”

Twilight winced. While her account of Earth had been spotty at best, both princesses knew that bringing that up always struck a nerve. Nodding her assent, she waited for her supplies to be readied. She didn’t have to wait long. In less than an hour, a pair of saddlebags was brought out to her, filled with apples, carrots, and bread. On top of the food was a journal, some ink, and a few quills.

Now prepared, Twilight walked into the swirling purple light, her vision fading as she was transported through the void between worlds. Stepping out the other side, the first thing she noticed was the dirt in front of her. Then the grass just a few meters away. Everything seemed perfectly formed, precise cubes laid down to form a perfectly flat expanse. She saw patterns in the dirt, repeating exactly every meter. This world was not like any she could have imagined. She sat down just outside the portal, pulled out her book and quill, which had somehow transformed to match the landscape, and began to take notes. The entire time, she had the feeling that she was being watched.


From atop his faithful donkey, a lone man stared out into the wilderness. He had recently received permission to explore new territory, and, by Notch, explore he had. Over five thousand blocks away from his home island, Paulsoares had found many, many familiar things. Clumps of Podzol, mountainous savannas, even a jungle temple all fell within his gaze at one point or another. He was about to turn back when he noticed something strange. In the middle of a large stretch of flat land, there was a Nether portal. Asking his friends, he discovered that he was, indeed, the first into this new area. Where this portal came from, he could only guess. Even more interesting was the purple, winged, horned horse sitting in front of it. He never thought he would put those words together, but here it was.

“Hya! Forward, Ferris!” he shouted, spurring his donkey into action. Ferris Mueller wasn’t exactly the fastest on four legs, but was fast enough to catch the other horse’s attention. It calmly put away what looked like a book and quill before taking off into the sky, out of Paul’s reach. Since it didn’t fly more than about ten blocks high, Paul dismounted, pulled a stack of cobblestone out of his pack, and faced the ground. He then jumped, placed a block, and jumped again, repeating until he was level with the hovering horse.

Pulling out his sword, he dropped it off of the pillar as a sign of peace. He then repeated the process with his bow. The sun was still high in the sky, and there were no caves around, so he still felt safe without them. A few tense seconds went by, until the horse opened its mouth. Instead of a whinny, what came out floored Paul.

It said, “Hello.”