• Published 17th Nov 2013
  • 765 Views, 21 Comments

Manticores, Crushes, and Alcohol - Hidden Brony



Ponyville tries to react to the antics of a clueless stallion from out of town, and his new friend, the local drunk.—and no, I'm not talking about Berry Punch. Ponyville isn't prepared. This story occurs parallel to cannon.

  • ...
6
 21
 765

Applebuck Season

“So you’re finally out,” Streak said as he walked with his usually-drunken companion out of the hospital.

“So I am,” Change said, pausing momentarily to stretch. “First step is to grab my wallet from the bar. Berry’s a good gal; she’ll have held it for me.”

“Are you sure?” Streak asked. “And is this just an excuse to get a drink?”

“Yes, on both counts,” the drunkard said, smirking. “As I said, Berry’s a good gal. On an unrelated note, I swear she’s asexual. She’s been hit on by so many ponies without even a twitch of reaction.”

“I assume one of them was you?” the other stallion asked as they rounded a corner. He’d been here long enough to talk to the mayor. There were no job openings that didn’t require a matching cutie mark, as he expected. What he did instead was learn the lay of the land. He obviously knew where Change’s house was, he’d been to the library to thank Twilight for her part saving him, he’d visited Sweet Apple Acres—that wagon accident was totally not his fault, though, and the doctor said Big Mac would be better in a few weeks—and he’d memorized where the bar was. He had the feeling he’d be there a lot to drag a passed-out stallion back with him.

“Nah, I think that’s why she likes me so much,” Change said. “My fur is white, so she can easily tell how much I’ve drank by the color of my face, and I don’t hit on her when she obviously doesn’t want it.”

“Maybe she does, but just doesn’t want to be somepony’s desperate lay?” Streak suggested as they approached the bar. “Maybe she’d be more open to it if someone tried to flirt with her outside of her bar?”

“Outside of her bar?” the drunk laughed. “Kid, you know your way to the bar, but you don’t know Berry at all, do you?”

“I didn’t go inside the bar,” the younger stallion said sheepishly. “I figured you’d want to introduce me.”

“Oh ho ho,” Change said, grinning, “you didn’t want to be clueless, did you?”

“I’m only going in because you’re forcing me,” Streak reminded. “This won’t be a regular thing.”

“Depends on how much fun you are drunk,” the older stallion chuckled as they walked through to doors to the bar interior. “Honey, I’m home!” the drunkard shouted out.

“Doctor Stable says no alcohol for a week,” was the barmare’s reply. She was a young mare, and Streak had to admit she was fairly good looking. Not quite drop-dead gorgeous, but pretty. She had a berry-red mane and a matching tail, and her coat was a lightened, slightly purple variation of the same color.

“What?” Change said. “Aw, come on, Berry! I even brought a new customer!”

“Once, Change,” Streak said, “and on your bit.”

Berry giggled as she resumed wiping the bar down. “You shouldn’t even be in here, Change,” she said. “We don’t open until six.” She looked over at the new pony. “Cute kid,” she said, smirking, “is he even old enough to drink?”

“I am, thank you very much,” Streak said, frowning. He shifted his brace so it was more comfortable, a move that caught Berry’s eye.

“What’s the brace for?” she asked. “I heard Change saved somepony from a manticore, and I assume it was you. From the story, though, you didn’t get hit by it.”

Streak shrugged. “I jumped off a waterfall to get away from it. Landed wrongly.”

She stared at him with an unreadable deadpan. After a few seconds she sighed. “I don’t know whether I’m supposed to be impressed by what you did or your stupidity.”

“A bit of both?” the drunk suggested. “And a beer for Change?”

"No, Change,” Berry said. She turned to Streak. “Might as well get acquainted.” She stuck out a hoof. “The name’s Berry Punch, and I run the only bar in Ponyville.”

Streak bumped his hoof against hers, a move that got him a nod from the barmare. “Streak. I’m Change’s roommate. You wouldn’t happen to have a job opening, would you?”

“Depends on the cutie mark,” she replied, causing Streak to sigh in disappointment.

“What about none?” he asked.

She winced in sympathy. “Sorry, kid. No openings for blanks. Nothing against you, though—I’m sure you’re a great kid—I just can’t take the risk of hiring somepony without a mark.”

“It’s what I expected,” Streak said. “Nothing seems to get me a mark, though.”

“Tell you what,” the barmare said, “I’ll keep an ear out for jobs from my customers. You’ll most likely have odd jobs until you get a mark, but it pays the bills.”

Streak nodded. “That’ll do. Thanks Berry.”

“Woo hoo!” Change interjected himself into the conversation. “Already on a first name basis! You go champ!” He jabbed his elbow into the younger stallion’s ribs.

“Change, you’re already on a dry week, don’t make me make it two,” Berry threatened. The stallion in question opened his mouth, and she added, “Three.”

“You wouldn’t dare,” he said. “I’m half your business, most days.”

“I’d rather go out of business than let you drink yourself to death,” Berry said. “Now get your flank out of my bar. It’s only two, so we don’t open for another four hours.” At his brightened look, she smirked. “Non-alcoholic only for you, buddy. I’m not making the doc mad.”

He frowned, “I guess I’ll have to bum a drink off of someone else, then.” He turned to the chuckling stallion next to him. “C’mon, Chuckles. Let’s head home so I can check for any non-empty bottles.”

As they were walking down the street, they felt the ground shake underneath them. “Uh oh,” Streak said. “That can’t be anything good.”

“Nah, we’ve had our bit of interesting for the next week or so,” the drunk replied. “It seems to be on a clock or something.”

STAMPEDE!” Rainbow yelled from on high.

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” Change sighed. “And I don’t have a drink.” Streak's eyes widened as he saw the stampede. A whole herd of cows were running towards town. He looked over at Change, who had the top half of a flower pot on his head, complete with a bright pink flower sticking up. The shaking of the ground had dropped a pot onto the stallion. "This is why I drink," he muttered.

"How can you be so calm? It's heading right for us!" Streak exclaimed.

"YEEHAW!" a familiar accent called out.

"That's why," Change said nonchalantly, turning to head home. "Let's head into town, she's got this."

But Streak didn't hear him. He was too busy watching the farm-mare round up the herd. The way she ran was straightforward and without flourish, but in that regard was elegant in its honesty. He watched her muscles ripple under her coat as she threw a lasso to redirect the stampeding bovine.

"Streak?" Change asked, turning to his taciturn companion. He chuckled when he saw him spellbound. "Careful, I think you're drooling."

"Wha?" Streak snapped out of his daze, quickly wiping the sides of his mouth in panic. Finding them dry, he turned to glare at the other stallion. "Very funny."

"I thought so," the sober drunkard chuckled. "C'mon, let's head back home. The beer calls to me."

Streak followed along beside the other stallion, looking back to get one last look at Applejack. He saw her rear up, nearly mesmerizing him again before he tore his eyes away.

"Someone's got a crush," Change teased as they walked.

"Do not," Streak bristled indignantly. "I know how to appreciate a mare in shape is all."

"Never said I was talking about you," the drunk said, smirking.

Streak paused momentarily before grumbling, "Whatever."

The duo walked through town in silence. That didn't stop Change from thinking up a plan to get Streak locked into a room with Applejack during heat week, though. It was getting to be that time, after all. They reached Change's house in a few minutes. The stallion threw open his front door, saying, “Home sweet ho–Streak what did you do?”

“I cleaned up,” the other stallion replied. “It was a pigsty in here.”

“I liked it that way!” the drunk exclaimed. “I knew where everything was!” Looking around at the front room, there was still stuff on the floor and couch that didn’t belong. What was missing, however, was the bottles that had coated the house.

“I got rid of all the bottles,” Streak said. “Not only was it nasty in here, but all that glass would be a hazard to a pony that was drunk. Like you.”

“I’m not always drunk,” Change muttered.

“You’re right. Sometimes you’re asleep. How do you even have a job?” Streak asked.

Change indicated his cutie mark, a tankard with a cloth shining it. “I keep the bar clean.”

“Why does it not surprise me that you have a job at the bar?” the other stallion asked.

“Because I practically live there?” Change asked. “What did you do with the bottles?”

“They’re in the spare room,” Streak replied. Change practically ran to get to the room. He dove in and started shuffling through bottles.

“Is this vodka?” he muttered to himself, picking up a half-empty bottle. He took a swig before giving it an odd look. “Water. Who puts water in a beer bottle?”

“I do,” Streak said. “All you have in this house is alcohol.”

“There’s a reason for that,” the drunkard growled. “How much did you leave in here?”

“I filled some bottles with water—after washing them out, of course—and all the ones that weren’t empty are being held by Berry,” Streak said as he smirked.

“I thought you hadn’t been in there before?” Change said, narrowing his eyes.

“I lied,” the other stallion said. “She’s the one that informed me of your dry week, so I took all the alcohol out of the house.”

“You are a cruel, cruel monster,” the drunk moaned, flopping onto his back. “I can’t even get a drop? Just a single drop, that’s all I need!” he begged.

“Not a drop of alcohol for a week, Change,” Streak said. “You’re a big boy, you can handle it.”

—*~*~*—

“C’mon, Berry!” Streak heard Change begging as he walked into the bar. “I’ll even take that low alcohol swill! Just give me something!”

“No means no, Change,” Berry said as Streak walked up to the duo. “I already offered half price drinks for ponies that refuse to give you any beer, and that should tell you how hard I’m trying to keep you dry this week.”

“Berry,” the drunkard wined, “c’mon, darling!”

“No,” she said.

“Am I interrupting?” Streak asked.

“Yes,” Change said.

“No,” Berry said at the same time. She got a glare from the stallion. “Come, sit. I’ll get you a drink.” Streak got a glare from the stallion as well at her comment.

“Just a water,” Streak said, ignoring his companion. “You going to be at Applejack’s award presentation?”

“You come in here every day and just get water,” Berry said, shaking her head and sliding him a glass of water. “You’re bad for the ego, Streak.”

“I’m not a drinker,” he replied, “but you didn’t answer my question.”

“No, I’m not,” she said. “Nothing against Applejack,” she added at Streak’s look, “she’s a great mare, but I won’t close my bar to go to a voluntary ceremony. There will still be ponies that want a drink.”

“How much business do you get from a small town like Ponyville?” he asked.

“Mine,” Change grumbled.

“Enough to stay afloat doing what I love to do,” Berry said. “Gives me enough money to live, so that’s good enough for me.”

“On that topic, you find any openings?” Streak asked. “I’d like to have some spending money.”

“Not much of anything, I’m afraid,” Berry said. “They all back out once they hear that you’re a blank.”

“I figured as much,” the blank sighed.

“All but one,” Berry said.

“Who?” Streak asked with excitement.

“Don’t get too excited,” the barmare said. “Big Mac was in here, talking about how he wished his sister would accept some help. He said he’d even pay somepony that could convince Applejack to let them help.”

“Well there goes that,” Change muttered, his face pressed against the bar.

“What do you mean?” Streak and Berry asked at the same time.

He lifted his head up from the bar and looked at the stallion. “Streak, Applejack is the most stubborn mare I have ever met,” he said. He turned to the mare. “Berry, Streak has a huge crush on Applejack, and will fumble all over his words.”

“Do not!” Streak exclaimed, flushing.

“Not being too convincing, with them red cheeks n’ all,” a deep voice said from behind him.

“Anyone would be embarrassed by. . . this conver. . . sation. Hi Big Mac.” Streak started out well, but got really nervous when he saw the massive stallion was standing directly behind him. “You feeling better?” he asked nervously.

“Eeyup,” the big stallion said, sitting down on the open stool next to Streak. He snorted. “Water? T’ each their own, Ah guess. Berry, I’ll take the usual.”

“One cider comin’ up!” Berry said in a horrible imitation of the Apple family accent. Big Mac smiled at that.

“Make tha two,” Change called out in a horrible Big Mac impression while Berry had her back turned.

“No, Change,” Berry said without turning around.

“Horseapples,” the drunk grumbled, slamming his face into the bar. “Ow.”

Berry chuckled as she returned with a tankard of cider, placing it in front of Big Mac. “How did you know that it wasn’t vodka?” Streak asked. “I know that Berry sells the stuff.”

“Half of it’s gone, and you ain’t drunk,” Big Mac replied. “Plus Berry was teasin’ ya ‘bout only drinkin’ water a bit earlier.”

“I had heard that you don’t like to talk much,” Streak thought out loud, “but you don’t seem to have a problem with it now.”

The large stallion shrugged. “Ah talk when ah have a reason ta,” he said. “If Ah don’t have a reason, Ah don’t talk.”

“Use your talking powers to tell Berry to give me a beer,” Change muttered from his place face first on the bar. “I can’t take it anymore!”

“You have a day left,” Berry said, “then you can drink again. That is, if you don’t sneak a drink during that time.”

“I’ll just drink at home, then,” the stallion grumbled.

“Not a chance, Change,” Streak said, much to the drunkard’s dismay. “But back to the job?”

“All ya got ta do is convince Applejack ta let ya help her harvest, and not be completely incompetent,” Bit Mac said. “As long as ya aren’t slowin’ her down, you’ll do fine.”

“How do I do that?” Streak asked.

“Harvest or convince Applejack?” the large stallion asked.

“Yes.”

“Kick tha trees, and ya don’t,” the stallion said. “Ah’ll be more specific on the first part if ya can get Applejack to let you help.”

“That sounds like a great way to do this,” Streak muttered. “So no help on convincing Applejack to let me help?”

“Don’t trip over yer words, don’t lie, and don’t try n’ flirt,” the stallion said. “The first two are to help you get the job; the last one is ta keep ya alive after yer done. Am ah clear?”

“Crystal,” Streak gulped.

“Good. Don’t ever think you can lie to AJ, though,” the other stallion said. “She’s a pony lie detector, Ah swear.”

A stallion that looked exactly like Doctor Stable spoke up from the next table over, “She can even tell when you’re not telling the whole truth, so a lie of omission doesn’t work, either.”

“Caramel, get back to yer drinkin,” Big Mac grumbled. The chastised stallion flushed and turned back to his table. The big stallion turned back to his companion. “Look, just talk ta her after the ceremony. If it don’t work, it don’t work.”

“I guess,” Streak said, taking another sip of his water.

“Hey, hey Caramel,” Change said, getting the attention of the stallion in question. “Ask your brother if he can lift my dry week early. I need something to drink, man.”

“Not a chance,” the stallion said. “I’m not going anywhere near that topic with him. You’re on your own.” Change planted his face back in the bar, grumbling unintelligibly.

“You might want to hurry, kid,” Berry said. “The ceremony started a minute ago.”

“Wha–? Aw, come on!” Streak said. “I gotta go. Have fun Change, Mac.”

“I’ll put your drink on Change’s tab, as usual,” Berry said. “Go. Shoo. Mares don’t like a stallion that isn’t on time, and that goes double for farm mares.”

Streak flushed brightly as he ran out of the bar. He trotted through town, managing to arrive at the site of the ceremony right after it ended. He saw some of Applejack’s friends talking amongst themselves.

Twilight said, ”Was it just me, or did Applejack seem a little—”

“Tired?” Rainbow suggested.

Dizzy?” Fluttershy contributed.

“Messy?” Rarity said. At the looks that got her, she said, “Well, did you see her mane?”

“She seemed fine to me!” Pinkie exclaimed. “Woo! Woo!”

Twilight gave off a thoughtful hum as she looked over to where Applejack had run off. She started trotting in that direction right as Streak showed up. “Hey, girls,” he said. “Applejack wouldn’t happen to be here, would she?”

“Sorry, darling,” Rarity said. “Just left.”

“Why do you want to know, Streak?” Rainbow asked, flying right up in his face. Rarity, Pinkie, and Fluttershy had simultaneous looks of understanding pass over their faces at the mention of Streak’s name.

“I need to talk to her,” Streak said, not backing down. He was terrified of Big Mac, but that’s because the guy was twice his size! Rainbow didn’t intimidate him in the least.

“What about?” Pinkie asked, bouncing up to the duo.

"I don't know if it's the kind of thing that she'd like me talking about," he said. "Suffice to say that I might have a job for a while soon."

"Well she's been pretty busy," Rarity said. "She's going to be helping Rainbow, Pinkie, and Fluttershy. Maybe you could catch her one of those times?"

"I could," Streak said. “Which of you is first?”

“Me,” Rainbow said, “and there’s no way I’m letting you take any of my time with her away.”

You could try to be friendly,” Fluttershy admonished. “At least, if that’s okay with you. . . .”

“I’m convinced she can’t, frankly,” Streak said. “She has her head so far in the clouds she can’t tell that the sun doesn’t revolve around her.”

“Excuse me,” Rainbow growled, shoving her nose right up against the stallion’s. “Want to say that again to my face?”

Without batting an eye, Streak said, “You are an egotistical, arrogant, stuck up blowhard that has her head shoved so far up her own plot that she can’t tell that other ponies exist that do anything important besides cheer her on.” If looks could kill, they would need a bucket to get Streak off the street. Rainbow was shaking with rage at this point, snarling as she pushed her face into the stallion’s. “If you would stop that,” he said, “that would be nice. I don’t need a rumor that I have anything to do with you going around.”

“Streak!” Rarity admonished. “I’m ashamed of you, acting that way!”

He took a step backwards, removing his face from the flier’s. “I’m afraid you have the advantage on me, m’lady,” he said in a perfect Canterlot Noble accent. “You know my name, but I’m afraid I don’t know yours.”

“That’s a pretty good impersonation of a Noble, I must say,” Rarity said. “I am Rarity, and any friend of Change’s is a friend of mine.” She held out her hoof for a hoofshake.

Streak surprised her by grabbing her hoof and bringing it up to his mouth, kissing it. “Charmed,” he said as she blushed. He jumped as Pinkie let out a loud gasp.

“OHMYGOSHIFORGOTYOURPARTY!” she shouted. “INEVERFORGETAPARTYWEHAVEAPARTYEMERGENCYOVERHERESOMEONECALLTHEPARTYDOCTOR!” With that, she jumped in the air and vanished in a pink blur.

“Uh, wha–?” Streak asked. “What? I don’t—”

“Don’t try and understand her, darling,” a slightly red Rarity said. “She’s impossible to fathom.”

He just shook his head and turned to the last member of their group. Fluttershy was cowering behind Rarity at the moment, hiding her face behind her bangs.

“Oh, no you don’t,” Rainbow growled. “You aren’t flirting with Fluttershy, buddy.”

Streak completely ignored her, walking up to the shy mare. When she shrunk back, he sat down. When she still tried to escape, he sighed. With a swing, he smashed his head into the road they stood on, giving himself a headache. It achieved the desired result though, as Fluttershy was by his side instantly checking to see if he was okay.

Oh, dear,” she fretted as she felt his head for injuries. “Oh, my. Oh, no. Oh, my.”

“Why did you do that?” Rarity exclaimed. “What could you have possibly been thinking?”

“Something dumb enough to smash its face on the ground on purpose can’t be dangerous,” he reasoned as the shy mare pulled some bandages out of nowhere. He felt a bit of blood run down his forehead. Maybe that wasn’t his smartest move.

Oh, dear,” Fluttershy was still saying. “Uh, stand still. Don’t move, please.”

Rainbow scoffed. “Yeah, you’re a regular idiot. I’m out, Applejack is going to be back in town in a few hours and I need to build my catapult.”

“Have fun storming the castle!” Streak called out to Rainbow’s retreating form. Once she was out of hearing range, he exclaimed, “Sweet Celestia! Why did I do that?” Fluttershy paused at his outburst before returning to applying bandages to his head. “My head!”

“It worked, at least,” Rarity said with a small smile.

“Yeah,” he said. Fluttershy stepped back to check her work, giving it a satisfactory nod. Streak continued with introductions. “My name is Streak,” he said softly, so not to startle the skittish mare, “what’s yours?”

Flu–Fluttershy,” she said, retreating back behind her bangs.

“Hey,” Streak said, softly pushing her bangs out of her face. He held them out so that he got a full view of her. “You’re a pretty mare,” he said. “If you hide all the time, then nopony would get to see you.”

That would be fine with me,” she said slightly louder.

“Ah, but imagine all the poor stallions that wouldn’t have the honor of seeing you?” he asked. “By hiding, you’re stealing from more than just yourself, you’re stealing joy from those around you. Do you want that?”

N–no,” she said. “I want everypony to be happy.”

Streak gave her a smile. “Then keep that beautiful face out from behind your bangs. It’ll make you and them happier.” He dropped his hoof slowly, returning her bangs to cover half of her face again. “This isn’t you, it’s the you that you choose to show. The real you is beautiful and confidant. All you have to do is let her out.” He turned back to Rarity, returning to the Noble accent as he said, “I’m sorry that I ignored you, m’lady.”

A wide eyed Rarity stuttered out, “Uh, no–no problem. I’ll, uh, just, I don’t know what to say.”

Streak smirked. “It is quite common for ladies of stature to be found quite breathless at my presence,” he said. “Would you wish a companion on the walk to your house?”

“Uh, yes?” she asked, more than said. “Could you drop the accent? I’m not used to dealing with it.”

“Of course,” he said, back in his normal voice. He turned to the bright red Fluttershy. “Your house wouldn’t happen to be on the way or past Miss Rarity’s, would it?”

Uh,” she said, “it’s on the border of the Everfree past Rarity’s house.”

“Then come with us,” he said. “I can’t let you walk so near the Everfree in good conscience. I hear that there are manticores in there.”

Fluttershy and Rarity giggled at his poor attempt at a joke. “Stick with flattery, darling,” Rarity said. “It works better.”

Streak shrugged. “A stallion can try.”

—*~*~*—

Streak was on his way back from Fluttershy’s house—she was quick to close that door—and had just gotten into town when he saw Rainbow flying uncontrollably across the sky. “—ejaaaaack!” she was shouting as she flew. He traced her velocity back to the source, and discovered a shaky looking Applejack stumbling away from a catapult.

“Hey, Applejack!” he called as he trotted up to her. “Can I talk to you?”

“Sure,” she yawned. “Just don’t take too long. Ah gotta—” she yawned “—gotta get back to harvesting.”

“Let’s talk while we walk,” Streak suggested. As they were walking, he decided to breach the topic with her. “Look, Applejack, about the whole wagon incident—”

“You’ll wanna talk to Big Mac if ya want ta apologize,” she interrupted, yawning. “Ah really got to get back t’ applebuckin’.”

“I’m here to help,” he blurted.

“Help?” she asked. “Ya think Ah need help?”

“Yes, I do,” he said. “Applejack, you’re practically passing out on your hooves! You can’t do this by yourself. You need to ask someone to help you.”

“Oh, Ah need to ask someone to help me, do Ah?” she growled. “Ah’m perfectly able to do this by mah own, ah’ve been buckin’ apples since—” she yawned again “—since before ya got yer cutie mark!”

“That could have been yesterday, remember,” he said, glancing back at his blank flank.

“That’s right,” she scoffed. “Yer a blank flank. Ya think ya know so much about apples? Which one o’ us has the apple cutie mark?”

“I know that you can’t keep doing what you’re doing,” he said. “You’re hurting yourself, Applejack!”

“Look, ah don’t need anypony’s help, especially the help of a blank like ya,” Applejack snapped. “Now if ya please, could you let me get back t’ work?”

Streak looked at her with an unreadable expression. “Fine. Whatever. You go do that. Have fun.” He turned around and walked off without a single word or glance back. She did the same.

—*~*~*—

“Ouch, that doesn’t look like it went well,” Berry winced in sympathy as Streak sat down in his unofficially-reserved seat. A couple were sitting to his left, and he ignored them in favor of ordering his drink.

“I’ll take a cider,” he said.

“That doesn’t sound like it went well,” she said, filling up his normal water. She placed it in front of him.

“I said cider,” he said after giving it a glance.

“I remember you saying something about only drinking because Change is making you,” she said. “As he’s not bringing you in here, you are obviously not drinking.”

“Just grab me the cider,” he grumbled.

“Look,” Berry said, leaning on the bar in front of him, “I’m not the type of gal to pass up a customer, but I’m also not the type of gal that lets a friend drink because he’s not feeling good. You’re cut off until Change brings you in.”

Streak shrugged, grabbing the glass of water. He looked over at the couple just in time to see the stallion drop something in the mare’s drink while she wasn’t looking. The small white pill dissolved nearly instantly. Streak felt his eyes narrow. The mare turned around and grabbed her drink in her hooves, lifting it up to take a sip. A hoof slammed the cup back on the bar, attracting the attention of the ponies around.

“What was that you put in the lady’s drink?” Streak asked the stallion, his hoof covering the top of the glass.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, colt.” the stallion said as a bead of sweat formed on his brow. “I’m trying to have some drinks with this chick here, and you’re ruining her night.”

The other stallion looked at the mare. “Did you ask him to put something in your drink?”

“No, I didn’t,” she said. “Did he?”

“No,” the stallion said.

“Yes,” Streak said at the same time.

The mare looked between them for a few seconds before looking to Berry. “Did you see anything?”

“Sorry, lady,” the barmare said, “not a thing. If I were you, though, I’d listen to Streak. He’s not an idiot.”

By this point, half the bar was silent and looking at the four of us. The stallion saw the attention he was getting, and he tried to back out. “Look, if it makes you feel better, just get the chick another drink. I’ll even pay for it.”

“How about you leave my bar after paying your tab?” Berry suggested.

“Look—” the stallion tried to start.

Streak grabbed the front of the stallion’s mane and slammed his face into the bar. “I am not in the mood for dealing with this,” he growled as he pressed the other stallion’s face into the bar. “You will pay Berry what you owe her and leave.”

“And not come back,” Berry added.

The stallion growled, “How about we take this outside?”

“Guys! It’s not even seven,” Berry complained. “Don’t start a fight already!”

"That sounds like a good idea,” Streak growled back, letting the stallion go. “I need to blow off some steam.”

The two stood up from the bar and walked out the door together. They stood right outside the front entrance to the bar, and Streak took the time to actually look at his opponent. He was a fairly large stallion, and all muscle. His coat was a fairly dull brown, and his long tan mane draped over his blue eyes. He had a dumbbell as a cutie mark, which explained his muscles. His face was contorted into a scowl. “I’ll give you one chance to get out of this,” the stallion said, “I won’t even tell them that you backed out.”

“Fat chance,” the blank growled.

The other stallion untied his wallet and dropped it on the ground to keep it from getting in the way. There was a gasp from some pedestrian pony as he lunged suddenly, getting a solid hit on Streak’s nose. Streak grunted as he felt blood run down his face and a headache an order of magnitude bigger than it should have been erupted in his head. He had forgotten that he had that head injury, and now it was coming back to bite him.

The next swing the stallion threw at him was dodged by the quicker Streak, and the much more agile stallion hit both the top of the other stallion’s hoof and the underneath of his elbow, getting a sickening pop. The other stallion dropped to the ground, crying out in pain. Whatever he could have said next was cut off as Streak smacked him on the side of the head, knocking him out. He walked over to the stallion’s wallet, finding it was quite full.

He got another gasp when he walked back in. He walked up to the bar as the crowd parted in front of him. He sat back in his spot and tossed the stallion’s wallet onto the bar. “This should cover that stallion’s tab,” he said.

Berry started counting it without blinking an eye. “This is more than enough,” she said, pushing the wallet back with the rest of the stallion’s money still in it.

He shrugged. “Use it to pay off—” He looked at the mare. “I’m sorry; I never caught your name.”

“I’m Ditsy Doo,” she said. Streak just noticed that her yellow eyes were off-kilter, lending an odd look to her grey face. “Most people just call me Derpy, though, so I don’t mind if you do too.”

He nodded. “Use the rest to pay for Miss Doo’s tab, too. He’s such a gentleman, isn’t he?”

Berry smirked. “Such.” She reached into the bag and pulled out five bits, leaving easily a hundred bits left.

“How much of Change’s tab can this pay for?” Streak asked after taking a sip of his water. It tasted kind of odd, though.

“About a sixth,” she said, “and you’re bleeding in your drink.”

Streak went cross-eyed looking at his nose, before he just looked at his glass. It had a slight tint of red on the top third where his nose had depositing his blood into it. “So I am,” he said. “You wouldn’t happen to have a rag, would you?”

“You just got out of that brace, and already you hurt yourself twice,” Berry said, shaking her head as she handed him an extra cleaning rag.

“One of those was me,” Streak said as he placed the rag against his nose. “Fluttershy was nervous around me, so I did the most unthreatening thing I could think about.”

“You head-butted her?” Derpy asked, obviously confused.

“I head-butted the ground,” he said. “And it went right to the ‘I have to take care of this’ area in her brain, and skipped the ‘new pony’ area altogether.”

“You are something else, Streak,” Berry sighed. “Could you try and not get hurt by the next time you’re in here?”

“No promises,” he said, grinning.

—*~*~*—

It had been two days since Streak had confronted Applejack and the stallion—who he had learned was named Dumbbell, appropriately—and he had spent most that time in the bar. He never drank; he either was waiting for or watching over Derpy. He felt a compulsive need to keep her from getting hurt, akin to that an older brother feels for his little sister. She would never drink much, instead stopping by for less than an hour, drinking one or two light drinks, and heading home. During one of her visits, he learned that she had a daughter who was school age, and in learning so, he had learned that Dumbbell wasn’t the first stallion to attempt to roofie the mare. This did nothing but amplify Streak’s need to protect her. Change was back drinking as soon as he could. He immediately went for a whole bottle of vodka, and chugged it within ten seconds. He was obviously a career drinker.

That particular day had started normally enough. There were no fights, no roofie attempts, and no messages carved into the sky by malevolent entities foretelling the events of the day. In fact, it was above average, since just the day before a bunny stampede had destroyed all the plants in the town. That’s why Streak was completely unprepared for the next visitor to the bar.

As Derpy walked out the front door, he heard a familiar voice call out, “Afternoon, Derpy.”

“Hi, Applejack!” the friendly mare said as the mare in question walked into the bar. She looked around the room, finding Streak at his spot at the bar, and a passed-out Change next to him. She walked up to the frowning stallion.

“What do you want?” he rudely asked.

She flinched at his tone. “Look, Ah’m sorry. What Ah said was out of line, and you were right.” She looked down. “Look, what Ah’m trying to say is Ah’m sorry.”

Streak’s eyes softened. “It’s fine.”

“It’s not fine!” she exclaimed. “Ah let mah stubborn nature cause problems for the town, and ah hurt you!”

“I’m fine,” he said. “The forehead thing was me, and the nose thing was a thug.”

“Ya know what Ah’m sayin’ “ she grumbled. “Ah was out of line, especially since you just wanted to help me.”

Streak shrugged. “Really, it’s fine. I’m no worse for the wear.”

“You came back and immediately ordered a cider after weeks of water,” Berry interjected herself into the conversation. “Then you picked a fight with that thug you were talking about.”

Streak rolled his eyes. “I picked a fight with him because he tried to roofie Derpy.”

“No, you confronted him because he tried to roofie Derpy,” the barmare said as Applejack’s eyes widened. “You picked a fight with him because you wanted to—and I quote—’blow off some steam.’ ”

“Somepony tried to roofie Derpy?” Applejack exclaimed.

“Streak smashed his face into the bar, dislocated his elbow, and knocked him out,” Berry said, “and after all that, he stole his wallet and used it to pay off tabs. Off the record, of course. If the guard comes by, you don’t know what happened to the wallet.”

“That’s what he gets,” Streak said. “I was having a bad day, and he refused to pay his tab when he was kicked out.”

“There!” Applejack exclaimed. “ ‘Having a bad day’!”

“Fine,” he reluctantly admitted. “It hurt, okay? I’m over it.”

Applejack sat at the bar for a few moments before saying, “Ah talked to Mac.”

“Hmm?” Streak asked.

“Consider yerself hired for the rest of the harvesting season,” she said, causing Streak’s jaw to drop. “You need a job, and ah need a worker. Mac’s already agreed ta show you the ropes. If you do well, you’ll have a seasonal job, here.” Streak was silent for a moment before he was given a hug by the farm-mare, causing him to blush bright red. “Thank ya for tryin’ to get me t’ be less stubborn and for tryin’ to help, Streak”

“D’aww,” a groggy Change said from his position face down on the bar, “he’s so cute when he’s enbara—" He paused, trying again, "Ambere—" He gave up, and just said, "Red.”