• Published 17th Jul 2013
  • 375 Views, 13 Comments

For the Love of... - themouthofmush



Follow a day in the live of a young stallion as he settles into his new life in Ponyville.

  • ...
 13
 375

Chapter 3

So, this is what kissing is like, Giz thought. If so, why don’t I feel anything but cold?

Slowly opening one of his eyes, he saw why it was cold. In between both Sassaflash and Giz was a metal serving tray.

“Stop it Sass,” a familiar voice coming from behind the Pegasus mare said, angerly.

“Or what?” the mare replied. “You afraid I’m going to take your coltfriend from you?”

“He’s not my coltfriend,” the voice said a little squeakily. “He’s my friend and you are bothering him.”

“Oh, Sparkler. You’re always no fun,” Sassaflash said while pouting.

“S-Sparkler?”

“Yes, it’s me Gear,” she said, removing the tray and letting Giz see the lavender pink coated mare he came to see.

She coughed into her hoof and cast the stallion a glare. “good to see that you showed up to our date this time.”

“This time? What do yo-“ That was when Giz saw Sparkler mouthing ‘fake’.

He wasn’t sure what she meant at first, but it didn’t take long for him to catch on.

“I would have been here sooner, but a job took longer than it should have.”

“Let me guess, Turner?” she said as she got up in his face.

Giz gulped and slowly nodded.

Sparkler let out a disgruntled sigh. “This isn’t through, okay Gear.”

“Okay, what’s going on?” Sassaflash asked.

“Sass, could you be a dear and leave so I could put some sense into this stupid colt?”

Giz immediately fell onto the floor, crawling into a fetal ball, and mumbling something no other pony could understand.

“Uh…sure…I’m just…yeah…”

With that, Sassaflash left the two ponies alone.

After a couple of seconds, Sparkler looked around and found no pony was watching them.

“Coast is clear Gear. You can stop acting.”

“Who said I was acting?” he responded, earning a stifled laugh from the mare. “You seriously scared me there. I never knew you were such a good actor.”

“Thank you,” she said, taking a bow.

Giz laughed a little at the gesture.

Sparkler waved a hoof in the air, quieting Giz’ laughter. “You’re lucky I was here Gear,” she said in a serious tone. “Who knows what she would have done if I didn’t stop her.”

“Hey! It’s not my fault she misunderstood what I said.”

“What did you say to her anyway?”

“That I was looking for a mare who worked here, that I’d like to reserve a table for two on behalf of a friend…” Giz ran a hoof across his face. “She didn’t misunderstand. I mislead her.”

“How is it that you didn’t figure this out until now Gear?”

Giz sighed and looked down. “It’s like what I keep telling Turner. I’m no good with mares.”

“What do you mean?” Sparkler asked while trying to make eye contact. “I’m a mare and you seem to be doing okay so far.”

“It’s because you’re different,” Giz said absentmindedly.

“Different? What do you mean ‘different’?”

Giz smacked himself inwardly. Smooth move genius. You almost let it slip.

Giz smiled sheepishly. “It’s because you’re an easy pony to talk to Amey. You’re exceptionally down to earth even though you’re amazingly funny and talented.”

Sparkler stood stock still, looking at the reddish-brown Pegasus in front of her.
Why…why does he have to be such a gentlecolt? And cute for that matter…

“Uh, Amey, why are you all red?”

The question snapped her out and caused her to become a shade darker.

“It’s…it’s…it’s because I’ve been working too much today,” she stated, a little too fast.

Giz tilted his head. “But isn’t today your first day?”

“Well yes, but I’m trying to show the owner that it was the right choice in hiring me.”

Giz stared at sparkler for a while, making her feel as if he was looking into her soul. This lasted for a while before Giz let out a sigh and shook his head.

“I can understand trying to make a good impression to your new boss, but you can’t wear yourself out because of it.” He looked right into her eyes. “Try not to over work yourself,” he said with an earnest smile.

“If you keep buttering her up like that, you might end up with a marefriend,” came a voice from behind Sparkler.

Giz’ face turned a little red. “T-t-turner, st-stop that.”

Three sets of laughs was how Giz’ performance was rewarded.

“Though, it’s sweat how you care for my sister Gizmo,” Ditzy said between giggles.

“Ditzy!” Sparkler yelled, her cheeks red.

“Oh hush. We’re family. It’s my job to embarrass you in front of any pony.”

“She has a point there Sparkler,” Turner stated.

Sparkler looked Giz, her cheeks still red, hoping he could help, but all she saw was a flash of a smirk as he looked at his mentor.

“It’s good to see you agreeing with your marefriend Turner,” Giz said, causing the grey mare and brown earth pony to turn red. “It’s the hallmark of a good relationship you know.”

Turner opened his mouth to say something, but closed it right away.

Ditzy, on the other hoof, looked down at the floor, trying to conceal the redness of her face.

Sparkler looked at the three ponies, lost for words at what had just happened.

She was about to say something when a loud growl was heard.

The three other ponies’ eyes fell upon Giz as he chuckled a little.

“Oh, right. Almost forgot why we came here in the first place.” He turned to face Sparkler. “Could you get us a table? Preferably one outside so we could get some fresh air. It should also help you feel better Amey.”

Sparkler’s heart sped up a little while her face blushed.

Why does he have to be so sweat…trying to make sure I’m okay…especially after that white lie.

“Sure,” she said with a smile, her cheeks a little more pink than usual. “Right this way.”

Sparkler escorted the three ponies to one of the tables outside, picking up three menus with her magic along the way.

“Here you go,” she said as she seated them and handed them the menus. “Would you like something to drink?”

“Water please,” said Turner.

“I’d like some apple juice,” Ditzy said with a smile.

“Orange juice, if it’s still available,” said Giz.

“Certainly,” Sparkler responded, writing down the drink orders. “I’ll go get your drinks while you consider what to have.”

“Actually,” Turner said, stopping Sparkler from leaving the table,” Ditzy and me already know what to get.”

”How?” Giz asked her. “We just got the menu.”

“Ditzy knows the menu,” Turner answered.

“How do you know the menu Ditzy?” Giz asked her.

Ditzy tilted her head to the side. “Didn’t I tell you?”

“Tell me what?”

Ditzy smiled sheepishly. “Oops. Guess it slipped me mind.” She looked at Giz, her eyes asking for forgiveness. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay Ditzy,” Giz said as he waved a hoof dismissively. “It happens to everpony ever now and then. So, don’t worry about it.”

Ditzy smiled, from ear to ear, upon hearing that, causing the rest to smile as well.

You have to give it to him, thought Turner. Even if he is clueless at times, he tends to know what to say and when to say it.

“Anyway,” Ditzy said, trying to get back on track, “I know a good amount of the menu since I helped Amethyst memorize it for this job.”

“That’s pretty kind of you Ditzy,” Giz said, smiling. “She’s lucky to have a sister like you.”

Sparkler smiled. “I keep telling her that.”

Ditzy blushed as she smiled.

“So, what would you be ordering?”

“I’d like an order of hay fries, a poppy sandwich, and some Prench bread,” said Turner.

“And I’d like the garden salad, with salt and vinegar, and some tomato soup,” said Ditzy.

“Would you like some bread for your soup?” Sparkler asked as she wrote down their orders.

“It’s alright Sparkler,” said Turner. “I’ll share some of mine with her.”

“Okay then. All that’s left is you Gear. What would yo…Gear, are you alright?”

The three other ponies looked at Giz, unsure of what to do.

His mouth was agape and drooling as he stared into the menu lovingly.

Ditzy and Sparkler tried their best to snap him out of whatever trance he was in, but nothing seemed to work.

Turner sighed and got up. “I think I can fix him.”

“What are you going to do?” Ditzy asked, not taking her sight off of Giz.

“Oh, just going to see if telling him something might work.”

“Wait, are you going to threaten him?” Sparkler asked, with concern and disdain in her voice.

“What? Oh, no. I’d never do that. Especially when there might be a quicker method.”

Turner approached Giz’ left ear and whispered, “If you don’t snap out of this, I’ll tell Sparkler how you-“

Giz’ head snapped as he turned and glared into Turner’s eyes. “You wouldn’t dare.”

The sudden reaction caught the two mares off-guard while Turner seemed unfazed, a smile on his face.

“What…what did you tell him?” Ditzy asked Turner.

“Oh, nothing too important,” Turner began. “Just told him that if he didn’t come to, he wouldn’t get any apple fritters.”

“…seriously? That’s what you told him?” Sparkler asked, a bit skeptically.

“Hey, don’t look at me. I’m not the pony who devours them like a parasprite.”

“Hey!” Giz spoke up, his cheeks a reddish-brown-pink.

“Oh, lighten up Giz. It’s all in good fun.”

Giz mumbled under his breath while Turner had a short, light chuckle.

Sparkler walked up behind Giz, with no pony noticing, and looked at the menu selection he had opened.

“Well,” she started, causing Giz to jump a little and Ditzy and Turner to laugh, “if you love fritters, then you are in luck. Applejack’s cousin, Apple Fritter, gave the cook her recipe and process a while back. Trust me, they are amazing.”

“T-that’s good t-to hear,” Giz said, still a bit shaken up, “t-though you didn-n’t have to do th-that.”

“Oh, didn’t I?” Sparkler asked with a toothy grin.

“No, you didn’t,” replied the stallion, getting up in her face.

“You sure about that?”

“Yes.”

“You sure?”

“Yes.”

“Now go on and kiss her.”

“Ye…wait, what?!”

Both Sparkler and Giz turned red as soon as they realized how close they were to each other.

“You two are just adorable,” Ditzy said in between giggles.

“Sis!” Sparkler darted out, her cheeks getting redder.

Turner and Ditzy just chuckled at the two younger ponies expense.

“C-c-can I get thirty bits worth o-of apple f-frit-tters?” Giz asked, trying to move the conversation to something else.

“S-sure,” Sparkler said, writing down his order, “but it will take a while.”

“It’s alright,” said Turner. “We have time to waste by waiting.”

“But could I get my order as soon as possible?” Ditzy asked her sister. “I’m on my lunch break.”

“Okay,” Sparkler replied, noting what her sister said. “I’ll go give the cook your orders and will be back with your drinks.”

With that, Sparkler left, unaware that Giz was watching her leave.

Two seconds later, he was smacked on the back of his head, making his forehead smack against the table.

“What was that for?” Giz growled as he rubbed his forehead.

“Don’t stare at Sparkler like that,” Ditzy barked.

“I wasn’t star-“

Another smack in the back of his head.

“Turner!”

“Sorry, but you were staring at her Gear.” His voice had none of the usual giddiness in it.

“It-it’s not like I m-meant to do that-t.” Giz looked down at the table and started making small circles.

Ditzy sighed. “You really are hopeless at times Gizmo,” she looked at her side, “just like Turner told me.”

Giz sighed and laid his head on the table. “I know.”

“Hey, don’t be so hard on yourself,” Turner said while placing a hoof on his apprentice’s shoulder.

Giz looked up and saw a goofy smile on Turner’s face, making him smile back.

“There we go.”

“Thanks,” Giz started as a smirk crossed his lips, “you old grandfather clock.”

“Why, thank you.” Turner placed a hoof on his own chest. “I’ll have you know those clocks are amazingly well made.”

Giz chuckled a little. “Good to see you missed the whole point.”

Ditzy busted out laughing, which soon got the two stallions to join in. All three of them laughed for a short while.

“Ah, that was a good laugh,” said Giz, wiping a tear from his eye.

“Yes it was,” Turner agreed, running a hoof through his mane.

“Yep,” Ditzy added, trying to get rid of the very last giggles in her throat.

“Looks like we finally found him,” came a voice from above.

“About time,” came another voice, this one a bit deeper and annoyed.

As the three ponies at the table looked up, two other ponies descended from the sky and landed a few hooves away.

“Hello there you three,” said the very light pink Pegasus mare. “How are y-“

“We don’t have time for that Blossomforth,” interrupted the dark grey Pegasus stallion.

“It’s a pleasure seeing you too Thunderlane,” Giz said as he watch the two new arrivals.

“You know why we are here,” Thunderlane stated.

“I can guess why, but I’m going to tell you – the both of you – that I’m not going.”

“But we need you!” Blossomforth said loudly.

“No, we don’t,” Thunderlane said with disdain as he glared at the younger Pegasus stallion. “She thinks we need him. I know we don’t.”

“Why would you say something like that?”

“Because it’s the truth,” Thunderlane said as he starting glaring daggers at Giz. “He isn’t a weather pony and he can barely fly long enough to either buck or move a few clouds. We don’t need him!” He slammed his hoof onto an empty table, driving his point home.

“Don’t talk about him like that!” Ditzy yelled, barely being held back from attacking the dark grey Pegasus by Turner.

“Oh, why should I…Derpy?” A smirk came across Thunderlane’s muzzle.

“Don’t you dare call her that!” Turner snarled, as the two mares tried desperately to keep him still.

A small argument erupted between Thunderlane, Turner, Ditzy, and Blossomforth that slowly started to escalate in volume.

The only thing that stopped them was a reddish-brown hoof slamming on the table.

“Good,” Giz said as soon as the voices of the other ponies died down. “Now that I have your attention, I can finally talk.”

He slowly got up and placed his saddlebags on his seat before turning to face the group.

“I appreciate you guys sticking up for me and one another, but that’s no reason to fight. Especially over something like that.”

The two mares and Turner seemed to ease up and relax a bit while Thunderlane kept looking at Giz, not budging an inch.

Giz smiled. “Now that things have settled a little, I have a favor to ask…well, more like three possibly.” He faced Turner. “Turner, could you see to it that my bags get dropped off at my place? I don’t want my tools falling off of me while I’m airborne.”

Turner smiled and gave an affirming nod.

“Oh, could you also pay for my order with my portion of our pay?” Giz asked with a sheepish smile. “I don’t want to bother the cook with cancelling it after all the work he might have put into the fritters so far.”

“I told you I would do that earlier, remember?” Turner said with a smile as he playfully punched his assistant in the hoof.

“Oh, right. Forgot about that for a second.”

He turned to face Ditzy. “Could you apologize to Sparkler for me Ditzy?”

“How come?” she asked, tilting her head to the side. “You didn’t do anything wrong.”

Giz sighed and shook his head. “Blossom and Lane came to get me but I refused to go. That’s when all of this happened.” He looked Ditzy in her eyes, which was a bit difficult. “I don’t want her to get in trouble for something I caused.”

Both mares cooed at Giz’ words, causing him to blush, while Turner gave him a smile and a pat on the back. Thunderlane, on the other hoof, just growled at him.

This is getting old, too fast, Thunderlane thought. Somepony has to bring him done a notch or two. A smirk formed at the edge of his lips. I think I might know –

“Hey Thunderlane,” Giz said, snapping the stallion out of his thoughts.

“What?” he responded, not really caring about anything Giz might say.

“Just letting you know that Blossom and I are ready to head out.”

“Fine, whatever.” Thunderlane took off, not caring if the other two followed or not.

“What’s up with him?” Giz asked Blossomforth.

She shrugged and looked at the fleeting image of Thunderlane. “It could just be stress. It is a tall order for the weather team, even if we knew about it ahead of time.”

“You have a point there,” a sigh escaped Giz’ lips as he shook his head slightly, “and me saying no at first probably didn’t help.”

“Hey,” Blossomforth said, as she gave him a reassuring smile, “let’s just get going already.”

A “I agree with that” and “Me too” came from behind Giz.

“Well,” Giz started as he flapped his wings, “guess we aren’t needed here. See ya Turner and Ditzy.”

With a mighty flap of his wings, Giz flew after Thunderlane, being shortly followed by Blossomforth.

Not long after, a lavender pink mare stepped out from the café with three drinks floating in her magic.

“Okay. So that’s one water, one apple juice, and one oran—where did Gear go?”