• Published 17th Jul 2013
  • 375 Views, 13 Comments

For the Love of... - themouthofmush



Follow a day in the live of a young stallion as he settles into his new life in Ponyville.

  • ...
 13
 375

Chapter 2

“I still can’t believe we got paid six hundred bits for one job.”

“Well, to be frank, it was a really hard job.”

“Who was it that said it would be an ‘easy job’ again?” Giz said with a goofy grin.

Turner sighed. “I told you already why the job changed. The last storm caused some of the gears to rust and it wouldn't have been able to handle to upcoming storm if we didn't repair it. We’re just lucky we found a few replacements parts and that we had a pony who knows how way around gears.”

Giz’ smile grew a little as he looked at Turner. “If you keep buttering me up like that, you just might end up having a new coltfriend.”

Turner stopped dead in his tracks, his face a light shade of red. “C-c-c-coltfriend? But I t-t-thought…”

Giz placed a hoof on Turner’s shoulder. “Relax Turner. I was just joking around a little. I’m not a colt cuddler.”

Turner let out a sigh of relief and looked at his apprentice. “Don’t kid like that okay. It scared me.”

Giz tilted his head to the side. “How come? I think some stallions might consider you good looking.”

Turner’s cheeks turned red as he looked at Giz, anger in his eyes. “Oi! What did I just say?!”

“Whoa, easy there Turner. I just did an observation, nothing else. I didn’t mean anything by it.”

Turner seemed to calm down a little, but keep glaring daggers at the Pesagus.

“Besides, I’m worried for any stallion that might try to take you for his own.”

Turner’s glare grew more intense as he drew closer to Giz. “Oh, how come?”

Giz, feeling a bit scared thanks to glare, gulped and fidgeted in place. “W-w-well, they would have…would have do d-deal with-“

“LOOK OUT!”

Turner’s ears perked up. After realizing who the voice was, he took as big of a leap to the side as possible.

Giz, still fairly new to the town and its inhabitants, didn’t follow Turner’s gesture. Instead, he turned to face the direction the voice came from and got tackled hard by a grey blur.

As soon as the world stopped spinning around him and the slight headache he just received numbed down a bit, Giz noticed the floor was where the sky should be and vice versa.
Okay, something’s up…poor choice of words.

Giz tried to stand up, but his hooves didn’t seem to make contact with anything. He looked down, or up in this case, and saw his forelegs were touching the air while his hind-legs touched a wall.
So, I’m just upside down against a wall.

As if on cue, Turner stepped into Giz’ line of sight.

“Need some help getting up?” Turner asked, concern lacing his voice.

“Yeah,” Giz replied, holding his hoof out, “I’d appre-“

“I didn’t mean you Giz. I was asking the mare underneath you.”

“Underneath me?”

Giz looked back down at his hind-legs and saw what Turner was talking about. He didn’t notice it before, but there was a grey hoof barely cutting though his tail.

He rolled off to his side, making sure he was completely off of the mare.

“Are you alright?” Turner asked as he kneeled down besides the mare.

“Yes, I think so.”

“Are you sure nothing hurts?”

“I don’t feel anything, so I think I’m okay.”

“Because we can take you to the hospital if you aren’t alright.”

“But I said I’m okay…”

“We should take you to the hospital anyway, just to be safe.”

“Turner,” Giz said as he got up.

“They could see if anything is broken.”

“Turner,” Giz said louder.

“They could also take good care of you as well.”

“Turner!”

“What are we waiting for? Let’s get g-“

“TIMEY!”

Turner immediately stopped talking as he stood as still as a statue.

“Uh Ditzy, what did you do to Turner?”

Ditzy giggled a little. “Oh, nothing. He just gets embarrassed whenever I call him that.”

Giz smiled and chuckled a little.

Turner, seeming to finally have come back to his senses, turned on the younger stallion. “If you ever tell anypony…”

Giz waved his hooves defensively. “I promise I won’t tell anypony on purpose.”

Turner took a deep breath, calming himself down. “Alright then.”

He gave Giz a smile. “Let’s get going Giz. I’m sure Ditzy has to go back to her route-”

“Actually,” Ditzy said, cutting off Turner, “I’m on my lunch break.”

“Then it would be alright for you to join us for lunch,” Giz said before his mentor could reply. He turned to face Turner and gave him a small, mischievous smile. “That is if it’s alright with you Turner.”

“Well, I…uh…”

“Where were you two going anyway?”

“Oh, we were on our way to the café nearby-“

“You’re going to go see Sparkler?!” Ditzy asked, cutting off Giz with a big smile plastered across her face.

“Well…” Giz started while scratching his cheek, trying to cover the slight blush on his face.

“Oh, Sparkler works there?” Turner asked. “I didn’t know that.”

“Yep,” Ditzy said, her smile still beaming. “Today’s her first day.”

“Then we have no choice, but to go there then,” Turner stated while giving off a subtle sly smile.

“Yay!” Ditzy yelled, clapping her hooves together excitedly like a little filly, causing both stallions to smile.

“Why don’t you lead the way Ditzy?”

“You sure about that Turner?”

“Oh, hush Giz.”

“Okay then Timey,” Ditzy said, oblivious to Giz’ remark and Turner’s slow forming blush.

As the trio rounded the first corner, Giz took in the group’s surroundings.

“Hey Ditzy.”

“Yes Giz?”

“I’m not trying to be rude, but I’m curious about something,” Giz said, looking upon Ditzy. “How come you crashed into me?”

The question caused Ditzy to slow down and lowered her head. “I didn’t mean to do that,” she said.

Turner gave Giz a venomous glare, causing Giz to gulp and speed up a bit.

“I’m sure you didn’t mean to Ditzy,” he said, trying to get her to smile. “I’ve seen you fly. You’re better at it than I am.”

Ditzy shot her head up, nearly bumping into Giz’ snout, and looks at him with bewildered eyes, a soft pink on her cheeks.

“R-r-really?” she said, getting a little too close to Giz’ comfort.

“Well…yeah,” he said, scratching his cheek a little. “I’m a decent flyer, but I can’t last being in the air as long as other Pegasi.”

Ditzy smiled for a bit, but then looked back down, kicking the dirt with a hoof. “At least you don’t have eyes like mine.”

“I guess that’s true,” Giz started, earning a sniff from Ditzy and a glare from Turner. “Guess I’m lucky I don’t have as amazing eyes as yours Ditzy, right Turner?”

Hearing this, Ditzy almost fell over but Turner helped her maintain her balance.

“T-thank you Timey,” Ditzy said a little dazed with hints of red on her cheeks.

“Y-y-your we-welc-come,” Turner replied.

“Hey, you two lovebirds,” Giz said, causing both of his companions to blush, look at each other, then look away, “I’ll go on ahead and see if they have any free tables since it’s right over there.

Before either of the other two could respond, Giz took off into the sky, even though it wasn’t really necessary.

Those two are adorable together, he told himself. They are perfect for one another, he thought as a mischievous grin appeared on his face, and I might know how to help them out.

As soon as he landed outside of the café, he galloped inside and frantically looked around.

“Hello, can I help you?” came a friendly, feminine voice.
Please be her. Please be her.

Giz turned around and saw a pale turquoise Pegasus mare with vanilla mane and tail.

“Oh, hello there Gear,” she said with a smile.

“Hiya Sassaflash.”

“What brings you here?” She giggled. “Besides eating lunch of course.”

“Well,” Giz said while running a hoof through his mane, “I was looking for a certain somepony. A mare to be exact.”

“Oh,” she said with a small grin. “Do I happen to know this mare?”

“I see,” Sassaflash said as she got close to Giz, the grin still on her face. “What might you need her help for?”
She does work here and she is a nice mare. Guess I could try to have her help.

“You see, I’m trying to get a table for two.”

“’A table for two’ you say?” she said while getting a bit closer to him. “Are you going to be eating with somepony?”

“Oh, the table isn’t for me,” he said while waving a hoof dismissively. “It’s for a friend of mine and the mare he likes.”

Sassaflash giggled as she got closer, causing Giz to flush a little.

“W-w-what’s s-so fu-fun-n-nny?”

She giggled again and got closer, the distance between both of them a few inches.

“I never realized how cut you are,” she said, a twinkle in her eyes, as her own cheek started to turn pink, “making all of these excuses just to ask me out on a lunch date.”

“D-d-d-d-d-date?” Giz stuttered, his face as red as an apple.

Sassaflash got closer, putting her forehead against Giz’, and whispered, “Although I’m not hungry, there’s one thing I wouldn’t mind tasting.”

Giz took a step back, but soon realized he was against the wall with nowhere to go.
What do I do? What do I do?! How could I have been cornered so easily by such a cute mare without…wait, cute? Did I…I just called her cute! Giz kicked himself inwardly. Now’s not the time to think about stuff like that. No matter how nice she smells, or how soft her feathers are, or how shiny her – STOP THAT! Focus, you idiot!

The warmth of her breath on his snout pulled him out of his trance.

“S-sassaf-fla-ash-sh-sh, p-ple-ease s-stop-“ Giz said, but it fell on deaf ears as she got closer, her lips getting closer to closer to his.

Giz gulped and closed his eyes.

Sassaflash closed her eyes.

Their lips made contact.

Author's Note:

Welp, here is the next chapter of this story. Hope you like it. Feel free to give me anything - a like, thumbs up or down, comments, whatever.