• Published 8th Jul 2013
  • 3,469 Views, 71 Comments

The Royal Guard - Jacob562



A new Palace Guard finds that life in the Royal Palace can be more stressful than he originally thought

  • ...
3
 71
 3,469

Chapter XI

Luna and Thunder Clop departed the palace soon after moonrise. Downtown Canterlot was only a short walk from the palace. The city was still very much awake for the night, several families enjoyed dinners at various restaurants, others enjoyed movies or just a stroll through the cities many parks. T.C. led Luna to the club, a place called the Oasis. It was on a half submerged basement beneath one of the fancier restaurants in the city.

The inside of the dimly lit by red candles burning on the small round tables, at the far end was an open area for dancing and behind that was the stage. A quartet was just finishing their set as Luna and Thunder Clop entered. The maitre d was clearly shocked to see the Princess of the night in his establishment, but quickly composed himself and took Thunder Clop and Luna to his finest table, a small booth in the behind the the smaller round tables, and in the center line of stage. He insisted on waiting on them him self.

"May I get you and your escort something to drink Princess?" he asked bowing low, a towel folded over his left foreleg.

Luna considered for a moment, "I am not yet familiar with many of these new drinks.... what would you recommend T.C.?"

Thunder Clop looked up from the drink list, "I was going to have a martini," he offered, "its kind of cliche' I know, but I feel like getting into the full spirit of things."

"Very well then, two of these martinis please." Replied Luna to the maitre d' who rushed off to fill their order.

The drinks arrived just as the second band was setting up, a big band number complete with a singer. They called themselves Fridays' Mood. Luna took a gulp of her martini and shuddered.

"My!" she exclaimed, "this is quite strong! And small? I remember drinks being much larger before, well you know. And not nearly as strong. This must be nearly all spirit."

Thunder Clop chuckled, "It's a sipping alcohol Luna, you're supposed to nurse it for a while, enjoy it slowly."

Luna took a much smaller taste and smiled, "I see what you mean, this is much better in small doses, though I may need another soon, I nearly drained this small glass with my first drink."

"Fair enough," said Thunder Clop, "but you might want to take it a bit slower after that, each of those glasses is like drinking a full glass of beer."

Luna gave him a questioning look, but took much smaller sips from then on out. It took the band quite a while to set up, by the time they finished Luna and Thunder Clop were each on their third drink, and beginning to feel quite relaxed. Finally the singer for the band trotted up the microphone and introduced their first song, a number called Matte Kudasai. It wasn't really a big band number, but they seemed to manage took make it sound all right. As the song ended and the crowd applauded Luna leaned over to Thunder Clop, "I quite enjoyed that song, I hope all Jazz is like this."

"I'm glad you like it, and while there are a few differences in genre's, yes, most Jazz is very similar." Replied Thunder Clop.

"It is so very.... fluid. It makes me wish to dance." said Luna a bit loosely, "Come, let us dance to the next song!" She reached across the table and grabbed T.C. by the hooves before he could resist. There were a few muted gasps as Luna and Thunder Clop made their way to the dance floor, since they had been sitting in the back many ponies had not noticed them. Now they were in front of everypony, only the fourth couple on the dance floor. The applause died down and everypony stared, even the band and singer. Soon though the singer spoke into the mic getting everyponies attention.

"I'd like to dedicate this next song to a very special guest we have at the Oasis tonight." He started, "For our lovely Princess Luna it's only fitting that our next song is Moondance, by the great Van Hoofinson!"

And with that the band started up the lively beat. "Well it's a marvelous night for a moondance, With the stars up above in your eyes...."

Luna and Thunder Clop started dancing, the swayed and dipped to the beat, holding each other in an embrace. Luna was a wonderful dancer, much better than Thunder Clop, who could barley keep up. She giggled every time he made a misstep or an awkward movement. Never the less they had an enjoyable evening of dancing and drinking. They stayed until the club closed for the evening sometime around two in the morning. Since it was still relatively early for the two of them they walked around the quit parks of Canterlot.

The cool summer air blew through the trees, and street lamps cast relaxed shadows over the pathways. They took a moment to sit on a bench near a pond. They didn't speak much, Luna rest her head against Thunder Clops shoulder, and he wrapped his foreleg around her. They sat there for a long time and watched Celestia start raising the sun before heading back to the palace.

Thunder Clop walked Luna to her room at the top of the tower. By now the sun was fully up and both he and Luna were sleepy from their date, but chatted for a moment longer. Thunder Clop gave Luna a kiss before heading off to bed, leaving the other guards and the hand maidens speechless. He closed the blinds and settled himself into bed, Tonight was a good night. he thought rather smugly to himself as he began to fall asleep, still humming Moondance.