• Published 18th Feb 2012
  • 1,541 Views, 33 Comments

Earth and Sea - beasert



The recent troubles in Equestria bring forth the queen to investigate.

  • ...
2
 33
 1,541

Prisoners

Princess Celestia paced through the halls of the palace, a scribe following close to her side. The servant was hurriedly noting was the princess dictated, his quill scratching a sharp tempo across the parchment. They were working on the details for the inauguration of Gaea and Poseidon back into the royal family. Celestia had promised to keep the event comparatively small, but there was still so much to take care of.

“... Have the local florists arrange decorations. They should be able to prepare enough by tomorrow if they collaborate. Music can come from the Maneheim School; they usually play for the Gala, and I am sure they can arrange to attend this ceremony. Though, I wonder what tastes in music my parents have. I never heard...”

Celestia stopped her sentence short when a door at the far end of the hall swung open, revealing a large blue alicorn molted with black splotches. While the mess did nothing to take away from Poseidon's dignified appearance, the way he gingerly walked along the edge of the floor showed the stallion was certainly conscientious of the sorry state that he was in. Leaving a twin trail of black hoof prints, Poseidon approached Celestia. The princess took notice of the serious look her father gave her.

“What happened to you?” Celestia asked.

“There was an incident at the weather factory in Cloudsdale. I went to investigate, and a boiler exploded on me.”

“But, why are you covered in...” Celestia sniffed the air. “Ink?”

“Well, that's part of the problem. The boilers for the clouds are turning the water in them into ink. I tried separating the water from the other ingredients, but, as you can see, the spell refused to work.”

“Refused?” Celstia repeated, making sure Poseidon meant exactly what he said.

“Yes, refused. It wasn't like when a spell fails from miscasting or fatigue. Everything was right, but the target of the spell refused to obey.”

“Were there any other problems?”

“Sparking snowflakes and rainbow spaghetti.”

“What!?”

The two alicorns looked at each other in silence, grim expressions set in their faces. They were both thinking hard, and their minds were both on the same track. Celestia eventually broke the silence.

“I shall check on him.”

“Good,” said Poseidon flatly. Then, his usually relaxed look returned. “Now, where can I find a bath in this place?”

“Riff,” Celestia said, turning to look at her servant. “Please show my father to the private baths.”

The little white stallion led Poseidon down the hall. Celestia watched as they disappeared beyond the door, then she disappeared herself in a flash of light. She reappeared a moment later in the palace garden. She was relieved, however slightly, at the sight of the statue of Discord. She approached the stone prison, looking it all over for cracks, flaws or anything out of place. As Celestia's gaze moved up the figure's chest, something caught her eye. The princess lifted herself into the air to get a closer look. Leaning in close, Celestia found a shadow of a pinprick right over Discord's heart.

“There you are,” Celestia whispered.

Celestia flew of to fetch the guards. She couldn't be certain yet, but it seemed to her that Discord's prison was not so strong the second time it was made. Celestia suspected that the influence of the draconequus was leaking through the stone, so she planned on having the statue moved into a vault deep under the palace.

As she drew upon the palace barracks, Celestia wondered to herself; “What else has he tainted?”

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Discord surveyed Equestria from atop the mountains Canterlot hung from. He peered to the far corners of the lands, and his heart quivered in excitement at his new found opportunity to rule again. Discord glanced back to the sky, admiring the inky blots he had made. He had worried that as an alicorn, his powers may have become suppressed, but, to his delight, Discord still had full reign on chaos. He knew, however, that if he was to pass as Gaea, he would need to command the earth as she did. Discord looked to the stone beneath him, and went to work.

“Now, let's see...” Discord hummed to himself. He pointed his horn to the rocky ground, and tried to make a large stone move. The stone began vibrating ever more violently, when it exploded into dust. “Wait, that's not what I wanted.” Discord pointed to another stone, but this time it rolled away from him before he even tried to use Gaea's magic. “And where do you think you're going?” Discord grumbled, pouncing on the rock. He lifted it to eye level, and glared at the stone. “Listen closely, you. I've got a kingdom to rule soon, and I need you to listen when I tell you to do something. Got it?”

The stone fractured, shooting a fragment into Discord's face.

“Arg!” Discord roared, launching the stone from the mountaintop. “Fine! If you won't help me, I'll just use my own power on you!”

The earth rumbled from deep below. Discord dismissed it as a show of defiance. “I'll show you. In two days, I will be in charge once more, and I'll do whatever I want.” With that, Discord took to the sky, flying back to the palace.

The earth rumbled once more.

Flying over the palace, Discord noticed a commotion in the gardens below. A crowd had gathered around his statue. Concerned that he may have been found out, Discord landed in a secluded corner of the garden and walked over to inspect the scene.

Celestia was monitoring a dozen powerful unicorn soldiers. They were working together, securing the statue of Discord into a large metal box. The aura of many strong enchantments radiated from the container. Curious, Discord approached Celestia.

“Hello, Celestia. What are you up to?” Discord asked.

Celestia quickly glanced back and saw her 'mother' standing nearby. “Hello, Mother. I am having Discord moved the the underground vaults.”

“Why are you doing that?” Discord asked.

“Father was out in Cloudsdale today, and noticed strange happenings. We both suspect Discord may have something to do with it.”

A flash of worry came to Discord's face, but it went unnoticed, so engrossed in the current task was Celestia and the soldiers.

“The power of the Elements must not have sealed him as well as before.”

Relieved by the news, Discord approached the area with more comfort. The guards were now lowering the statue into its prison. Celestia was focused on the lid, ready to seal the box completely.

“What do you plan to do beside putting him in a box?” Discord asked.

“I am not sure,” Celestia confessed. “The Elements of Harmony might be able to strengthen the seal, but they could also do something we cannot expect.” Celestia lowered the lid onto the box.

“Well, I'm sure you will figure something out.”

“Maybe,” Celestia replied, working on some final spells. “Actually, maybe you and Twilight Sparkle could work together on the task.”

Suddenly, Discord lost contact with Gaea. Celestia and the unicorns had completely sealed off the statue from any connection to the outside world, and with it access to Gaea's memories. Discord focused, trying to remember if he had gleamed some information on what Twilight Sparkle was doing now.

“Uh-hm, yes, we could do that, I suppose. And, where is she right now?”

Celestia looked at her mother with confusion. “She went to the library. Didn't she tell what she was coming here for?”

“Oh, yes,” Discord said. “It must have slipped my mind... all of the recent excitement must have made it slip my mind.

“Well, I will leave it to you two to work on the task. I have to see to this one at the moment. I will see you at supper?”

“Yes, dear,” Discord said. He watched the box and its escort travel beyond the hedges and out of sight. “Ciao...”

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Poseidon slipped into the hot bath, letting the bubbles envelope him. Poseidon loved bubbles; they were one of the few things in the water he had no control over, and he took great joy in playing with them. He sunk to the bottom of the pool, watching the light from above distil through the frothy orbs into a cascade of rainbows. At peace, the stallion began to think about the events of the day. But the peace did not last long, as he heard the tapping of hooves nearby.

Poseidon slowly sat up and peeked over the edge of the bath. At first, he did not see anypony, but as he glanced around, he spotted Luna near a sink, staring dully into the nearby mirror.

“Boo!”

Luna jumped, nearly knocking over a stool. She looked around, eventually spotting her father amongst the suds of his bath, a silly grin painted on his face.

“Father!” Luna exclaimed, relieved and surprised all at once. “We did not notice y-” she raised a hoof to cover her yawn. “You...”

“No need to be formal,” Poseidon said, sitting up properly. “What's the matter?”

“Hm?” Luna blinked. “What dost... do you mean?”

“Well, it's the middle of the afternoon and you're walking around looking like you're about to fall asleep on your legs.”

“Oh, that...” Luna yawned again. “I am just having a hard time sleeping today.”

“Was it the cheese you ate before bed?”

“No, it is... Well, silly really...”

“It's been a silly day.” Poseidon moved to one side of the bath. “Hop in. A hot soak might help you get some sleep.”

“Yes, thank you,” said Luna, and she stepped into the pool.

The two alicorns rested in the warm water for a moment, enjoying the quiet moment. Luna was still troubled by something, and she couldn't hide it from Poseidon. The stallion tried to offer his help again.

“So, what's going on?” Poseidon asked once more.

“Well,” Luna began apprehensively. “I am actually having... nightmares... today...” Luna sunk a bit into the bubbles, trying to hide a blush.

“That would certainly make it hard to sleep. What are the nightmares about?”

“I am not sure what they are,” Luna began, but she slowly opened up. “They just feel like I am alone and... unwanted. I can see eyes off in the distance, looking at me from the dark, but they do not want me. They fear me...” Luna turned her face away.

Poseidon slid over to his daughter, placing a hoof on her shoulder.

“Luna, I can't imagine the things you've been through, but, remember all of those stories you told me when I first came here? All of those amazing adventures you've had, the ponies you've met, the friends you've made... They are who you are.”

Luna had begun to calm down, and leaned into her father.

“Mistakes we make in the past can be put right in time if we try, and you have done so much to set things right. You are loved, Luna. You are wanted, and you have seen for yourself that you are not feared.”

Luna looked up to Poseidon, a happy smile played on her lips.

“Thank you, Father.”

“Any time, Lulu.”

Luna giggled. “Even Tia does not call me that anymore.”

“Why not? Aren't you still a 'lulu'?”

“Stop it!” Luna laughed, splashing Poseidon.

The stallion splashed back, and soon water and suds were splashed everywhere about the large bath. Eventually, Luna surrendered and climbed out from the pool. Her mane was draped over her face, and she fumbled for a towel. Poseidon flicked his horn and called the water from his daughter. However, the mare's coat just fluffed from the sudden dryness. Luna caught a glimpse of herself in a mirror, and had another good laugh at herself.

“Have a good afternoon, Father,” Luna said as she opened the bathroom door.

“You too.”

After Luna left, Poseidon slipped back beneath what water was left in the bath. He was glad to be able to be a father once more. Ages old or not, Celestia and Luna were still his little foals.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Gaea sensed something change. She looked up from the book of her life at the abyss around her. Something was missing. It was like a heavy blanket had been lifted from her. She called out, “Discord?” but there was only silence. “Discord?”

Something glinted far away. A soft golden light, only a thread, was on the horizon. Gaea lifted the book to her side and ran for the landmark. She prayed that whatever it was it could help her.

Gaea ran for some time. She ignored the aching in her legs, the burning in her lungs and the stabbing in her side. She eventually come close enough to make out crude details of the light. It looked to be made of arcane symbols, slowly scrolling into the abyss. Gaea looked to either side and noticed the light curved around the horizon, vanishing beyond sight in the blackness of this prison. Exhausted, she fell to the ground and slept.

Gaea awoke, stiff and sore. She had no idea how long she had been asleep. Time held no meaning here. She looked towards the golden light, still slowly moving. Pulling herself up, Gaea slowly marched onwards to the light. She had nothing to tell her how close she was. The light had grown from a thread to a broad scroll in the air. Gaea tried to understand the symbols as they floated by. She became so focused in the writing, the alicorn did not realize how close she actually was to it. She stopped just short of walking into the physical magic. Gaea peered closely at the light.

It looked like a rainbow of colours, magic from all sorts of talent, and it was all wreathed in a soft golden fire, the tongue tips licking in soft colours. Gaea recognized it as Celestia's magic.

“What did she do?” Gaea wondered aloud.

The mare reached out, planting her hoof firmly on the light. It was as hard as steel and as smooth as glass. When Gaea lowered her hoof, she discovered something peculiar. Where she had touched, Gaea could see beyond the prison. In the soft glow of magic coming from beyond this portal, she saw a wall of bronze. Gaea rapidly pounded at the light, trying to expand the window. She couldn't pass through, but she hoped that she may learn what was going on. But, as the window slowly closed, all Gaea could see were more bronze walls. She determined that the statue must have been moved, and hoped that it meant Discord had been found out.

“Hello?” Gaea called out through the portal before it shut completely. She did not know, but, though her voice managed to escape, Gaea was now trapped in a magical prison in a vault far below the palace, alone.