• Published 18th Feb 2012
  • 1,543 Views, 33 Comments

Earth and Sea - beasert



The recent troubles in Equestria bring forth the queen to investigate.

  • ...
2
 33
 1,543

Truth

Celestia was at the end of her wits. With Discord's power seeming to leak out across the city and her people growing ever more distressed, she felt that something needed to be done immediately. Reaching a decision, the princess rose from her desk and sought out her family. Luna was asleep, and Celestia was unsure where her mother had wandered to, but she knew with certainty that Poseidon was back in Cloudsdale trying to get things under control. Celestia leaped from her balcony and took off the the pegasus city.

Cloudsdale had been moved to an isolated part of the country since the accidents in the weather factory worsened and parts started to fall to the ground below. The underside of the clouds were now stained black with ink, and spaghetti was so abundant that the pegasi stopped trying to ship it out and just dumped the pasta over the side. Furthermore, the weather factory was no longer producing clouds or fog, and the ground below was beginning to parch. As the once majestic city came into view, Celestia could see that things looked just as bad as she had heard. With hope that her father was having some luck at fixing things, Celestia landed on the factory grounds, where she was greeted by the supervisor Tornado.

“Hello, your Majesty,” offered Tornado. “You must be here about the weather problems...”

“Actually, I need to speak with my father. Is he still here?”

“Yes. If you would follow me...”

The two entered the chaotic factory. The place reeked of wet bread, everything was stained black, and constant explosions could be heard coming from the winter departments. At the center of the factories main floor, dressed in raincoats and boots, stood Poseidon with several pegasi and a couple of unicorns with spells to walk on the clouds. They were heatedly discussing complex spells and weather mechanics when Celestia walked over to them, hardly noticing her approach.

“Celestia?” Poseidon said, surprised to she his daughter here. “What brings you out this far?”

“To a degree, I've come to help Cloudsdale, but I need to discuss the details of my plan in private.”

Poseidon read something in Celestia's tone that told him he would not like her plan. He excused himself from the group, and led Celestia to a room he had been given for research. Poseidon locked the door behind them, closed the blinds, and braced himself for whatever Celestia had in mind.

“As you know, Discord's influence is growing stronger everyday, and we are helpless to stem it. I've locked him away, you've been constantly working to fix the troubles he's caused, and the ponies of Canterlot are on the verge of panic.”

“And want do you plan are doing about all of this?”

“We can no longer use the elements,” said Celestia as she started pacing about the room. “Discord is already imprisoned, so we cannot call upon Twilight and her friends to help, and banishment removes him from our guard...

... We have to destroy him.”

The alicorns looked at each other in silence. It was a grave decision; one they knew could bring about as much harm as good.

“That is a grim plan...” Poseidon commented.

Celestia turned away. She did not like to dole out punishment, preferring to offer a chance at redemption. However, she knew that her duties to her people came first.

“Did you ever make a decision like this?” Celestia asked her father.

“Fortunately, no.”

There was another silence as they weighed the course that now lay before them.

“How have Gaea and Twilight been doing with him? She left to fetch her after breakfast,” Poseidon asked, trying to find another way.

“I actually haven't checked yet.”

“Send me a letter when you know, and I'll wrap things up here. Then we can discuss this together.”

Celestia nodded, and as Poseidon turned, he added, “Don't worry about the celebrations.”

Celestia disappeared in a flash of light. She had returned to the palace grounds, and made her way to the dungeon. Down the dark and winding path Celestia went. Tracks in the dust from when she brought Discord's prison down were the only sign that anyone had travelled this way in ages. Celestia was hoping her mother and student were already here, but she saw no sign to ease her mind.

Eventually, Celestia reached the great box that contained her prisoner. Much to her dismay, she was alone. Her worry was slowly growing into frustration as she wondered where Gaea and Twilight were at a time like this. Celestia started to climb back up the path to the surface, when the ground shook violently. Celestia was thrown back by the vibrations, stumbling into the box.

As the tremors subsided, Celestia slowly rose up, carefully looking for any damage that may have happened to the stone about her. To her relief, the dark world about here was silent. However, the tension her heart was feeling snapped as a soft voice echoed into her ear.

“Celestia? Is that you?”

Celestia leaped from the box she had braced herself against, and her world was silent once more. Afraid of being lured into a trap, Celestia stood defensibly and stared at the box. She remained still as a sentinel, all of her focus on the potential threat in that box. After a time, Celestia began to slowly back away. When she was back in the corridors of the dungeon, Celestia hissed a curse to Discord and ran off.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Celestia! It's me! Help me!” Gaea wailed at the endless wall of light.

It was only for a brief moment, but the wall had vanished from sight. The barrier remained, but Gaea could sense someone nearby. It was someone familiar, hurting and afraid... Then, like lightning, a vision of Celestia appeared in the bronze that could be seen from Gaea's prison. It all vanished as suddenly as it appeared, but Gaea now suspected that she could be heard.

That was not the only information she had gleamed from her encounter. Coming back into the void were endless cries that spoke only to her. The world was in pain, and was rotting from its core. Gaea suspected that Discord could not command the earth. While she was glad that the tyrannical serpent was being defied, a tremendous force of nature was now without a master. Such a thing could bring about as much chaos as the malevolent spirit himself.

Armed with this new knowledge, Gaea renewed her efforts to free herself. Furiously she worked to keep a window in the barrier open long enough to gather information from her surroundings.

“Where...am...I?...,” Gaea panted.

The metal she saw through her window was slow to respond, but gradually informed Gaea that she was in a statue. Forgiving the useless answer, she instead asked where the metal was. After learning that she was in a box at the bottom of a long hole, the mare stopped to catch her breath.

Gaea figured that she had been moved to a dungeon in the palace. She saw this as a boon to her efforts to be liberated, and resumed speaking to the metal.

“Share message... to family... 'Gaea evil'”

Gaea waited for a response, trying hard to not lose her window should she miss it. Finally, the metal said it understood, and Gaea collapsed to the ground, rubbing her side.

“I hope he exerts himself so he can feel this too,” Gaea thought. The mare then chuckled to herself. Her chuckled soon grew into loud laughter as she realized that she may get out of this dark prison after all.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Discord looked down upon Canterlot from a small cloud that was still floating around, debating whether he should lay low today or not. “On one hand,” he thought aloud, “she may want to keep everyponies hopes up, but she might just cancel the party if things get too chaotic...” The draconequus sighed. He did not like having to be patient.

In the distance, something glinted in the noon sun. Discord peered at the sparkle and saw Celestia flying over the city. She was below Discord, and he hid himself in the cloud to spy on the princess. Discord knew that if he was seen out here instead of in the dungeons, Celestia may not believe whatever excuse he came up with now.

From his perch, Discord watched the princess flit about the city, moving from museum to library. She paused for some time in the library Discord had sent a spell into. The draconequus waited in anticipation. Eventually, Celestia walked back outside, kicking an entire alphabet of symbols from her hooves as a librarian swept up the trail being left behind. Though Celestia was far off, Discord could easily see the frustration the princess was trying so hard to hide from her subjects which pleased the trickster greatly.

Finally, Celestia went to Twilight parents. As she stepped inside, Discord sneaked in close to better observe what Celestia may learn. Ducking under the windows, Discord pressed his ear to the wall and listened.

“...If you knew of Twilight Sparkle's whereabouts?” Discord caught Celestia asking.

“She went back to Ponyville to get her friends ready for the inauguration tomorrow,” Twilight's mother said.

“What!?” cried Celestia, making the unicorns cower.

Discord stifled a giggle.

“She said it was your idea,” said the father fearfully.

“I never gave here such a suggestion,” retorted Celestia.

“Twilight said that your mother gave the message for you,” offered the mother.

Discord stopped giggling.

Celestia was frozen in shock as a realization washed over her. Twilight's parents glanced at each other, unsure about what was happening. Meanwhile, Discord had already left his hiding spot and was headed for the palace as fast as he could.

“Well, my cover's blown,” moped Discord as he tore through the skies. “And I was so looking forward to a party. Guess I'll just have to move things alon-”

Discord's thoughts were interrupted as his sides felt like they had ripped apart. He went tumbling through the air and crashed into the gardens of the palace. He rolled over, cursing the weakness of the body he was in.

“Useless thing. I'm glad I'll be my glorious self again soon...”

Discord pulled himself up and made his way into the palace. He had one shot left to save his plans or be cast again into some oblivion. The draconequus climbed quickly through the spires and over the bridges, seeking out his target. Eventually, he came to his destination. Steadying himself, Discord burst open the doors.

“Oh, Luna! I have terrible news!” Discord wailed.

Luna hardly turned from a pile of old tomes she had gathered about her. Though the room was dark, Discord could see Luna's eyes glint coldly back at him.

“What troubles you, mother?” Luna asked.

“Celestia has canceled the celebration,” said Discord with hurt in his voice. “She doesn't think your father and I should really be part of a 'Royal' family.”

Luna snorted. “And why would she think that?”

“I overheard her talking with Poseidon that there would just be too many ponies in charge. He seemed to think so too, commenting how smoothly things were being run before.”

“Before what?” Luna asked as her eyes closed into a leer.

“Didn't say. Just, 'before'”

Discord walked over to Luna and peeked at what she was reading. All of the books were on celestial bodies, weather patterns and time schedules of the last couple of centuries.

“You look like you've been quite busy,” noted Discord.

“I was...”

“You know what?” asked Discord. Luna glanced up, waited to here what was coming. Discord leaned close to Luna. “You were always right.”

Luna's eyes quivered. Her brow slowly twitched into a furrow and a gritted frown started to grow on her face. Her pupils began to slightly narrow and elongate. Discord's smile grew as his weapon was being reborn before his eyes.

“No,” Luna curtly said, and stood up from here work.

“What?” a baffled Discord asked. The princess was back to normal, and Discord wanted to know why.

“I have made many mistakes. I know that I am not perfect. No pony is. However, I have learned from my past errors...” Luna looked straight at Discord. “I will speak to Celestia about our situation. Discord's influence is a serious threat right now, and know that whether you are 'royal' or not, you are our family nonetheless.”

Luna smiled, hoping to offer her mother some comfort in these difficult times. Discord just stood there, stunned at the loyalty Luna had for her sister. Getting no reaction from Discord, Luna tried to excuse herself.

“Well, I really should go take care of thi-”

Discord pounced on Luna, the two of them tumbled across the floor. Luna gave a yelp of surprise as she was pinned under her large attacker. Discord glared into the frightened alicorn's eyes, his face twisted with his fury.

“I'm through playing around with you!” Discord hissed. “We have a kingdom to rule, and we're going to take it!”

Discord stamped a hoof over the squirming princess's chest. He could not break the mare's mind, so he would twist her heart instead. All of Discord's malice, all of his hate and contempt flowed into Luna. Luna cried out, but fell suddenly silent. A plume of shadow flowed from the alicorn, enshrouding the room in darkness. Discord smiled wickedly as eyes that glinted like a predator's pierced through the darkness to him.

“Thank you, mother,” Luna said.

“No,” corrected Discord. “Someone better...”