• Published 18th Feb 2012
  • 1,541 Views, 33 Comments

Earth and Sea - beasert



The recent troubles in Equestria bring forth the queen to investigate.

  • ...
2
 33
 1,541

Meetings

“I was thinking we could stop at Sugarcube Corner first,” Twilight suggested. “Pinkie Pie lives upstairs there helping Mr and Mrs Cake. Then there's Rarity's boutique; she'd love to meet you. And we have some very nice parks with great views of the stars...”

“And there's Sweet Apple Acres, and Rainbow Dash, and the town square!” Pinkie chipped in, bouncing close behind.

The trio strolled through town, Pinkie bouncing closely behind. Some ponies who were setting up for the day looked in awe at the strange alicorn walking the streets, but their stares were met with only warm smiles. Gaea was glad to see that Equestria had happy and productive citizens. The kingdom seemed to be a much brighter place than when she last saw it.

Soon, Sugarcube Corner came into view. The placed looked as sweet as its baked goods, decorated like an elaborate gingerbread house, topped with a giant cupcake and candle chimneys. A lanky orange stallion, Mr Cake, stepped out to gather some letters from his mailbox. He glanced up at at the approaching ponies and greeted them with a wave of his hoof. When he noticed Gaea, he let the envelopes slip from his mouth.

“Now who is this?” the stallion asked.

“This is Gaea,” Pinkie answered. “I found her wandering around outside of town.”

“We're showing her around, and we thought that this was a good place to start,” Twilight explained.

“Well, why don't you come inside for a bite,” Mr Cake offered the group. “We just pulled some cinnamon rolls out of the oven.”

As they entered the shop, the sweet smell of baking treats filled the ponies noses. Pinkie went into the kitchen to help, while Twilight and Gaea rested at a table. Twilight had on a smile that looked like it was ready to burst with the questions she had for the alicorn.

“So,” Twilight began. “Where is it that you come from? Are you a princess there?”

Gaea was unsure at first about how much she should tell. However, Gaea felt that anyone so close to her daughter could be trusted.

“I am originally from the northern end of the valley we are in, but I settled in the Everfree Forest sometime after meeting my mate. We built a palace there, and ruled for a time. Ours was a kingdom without borders, our subjects the lands their selves. I tended to the heart of the earth, shaping the lands to help life thrive. My husband, Poseidon, kept the tides of the worlds seas.” Gaea looked away for a moment, a happy thought seemed to play in her mind. “He is a clever stallion; always wanting to try new things and experience different paths. He created the moon to help with his work.”

Twilight was stunned in amazement. “He made the moon!?”

“Well, I helped a bit. I gave him a great ball of stone, and, with a geyser, he shot it into the night.”

Twilight thought about what that scene must have been.

“He did not think things entirely through, however. We spent many days trying to clean up the mess the whole event had made.”

“You two sound like you're very powerful.”

At that moment, Mr and Mrs Cake and Pinkie came out of the kitchen with a plate of cinnamon rolls, a kettle of tea, and a tray of oatmeal cookies. Mrs Cake looked to Gaea. “If there's anything you would like, feel free to ask.”

“Thank you,” Gaea replied with a nod. “This is very kind of you.”

Pinkie and Mr Cake went back into the kitchen, while Mrs Cake went about handling some final touches to the shop. Twilight levitated a roll onto a saucer, and Gaea helped herself to some tea. They each enjoyed a bite before resuming the interview Twilight had begun.

“I was wondering,” Twilight began. “If you ruled from the Everfree Forest, why does no pony speak of you.”

Gaea was a bit taken aback. Poseidon and her had always kept a fairly low profile, but to hear that no pony remembered them, not even a passage or myth, hurt a bit. “It does only make sense, I suppose,” Gaea said, mostly to herself.

“What does?”

“We were a private family, keeping out of sight as we tried to maintain harmony in the world. We did not wish to interject on the pony tribes, feeling that they would one day grow strong. Grow they did; mastering life, climate and the celestial bodies. We thought that an era of prosperity was soon to spring forth, but a conflict arose.”

Twilight thought for a second. “Was it over a blizzard?”

Gaea was pleased to know this bit of history had survived. “Yes. The tribes were still in a state of distrust with each other, but the blizzard compounded it into a bitter hatred.”

“The princesses asked my friends and I to perform that at the Hearths Warming Eve performance a while back. While I was studying for my part, I read that windigos fed off the ponies hate, causing the blizzard”

Gaea's face soured for an instant, quickly recovering into as neutral a look as she could muster. It seemed that some pieces of history were lost over time. Gaea decided that what was lost may be better off like that.

“I've got one more question for you,” Twilight said as she took a cookie. “How do you know the princesses.”

“They are my children.”

Stunned again, Twilight sent cookie crumbs spraying across the room. When she recovered, Twilight tried to talk herself through this news, but her words stuttered as they failed to keep up with her mind. “But... That would... You're... A Queen!? What? When!?”

Gaea raised a hoof for silence. “It is alright. I don't suppose Celestia and Luna would have wanted to complicate things with an absent king and queen. It was very kind of them to let us keep or quiet lives.”

Gaea sipped her tea as Twilight sat processing all of this. A soft hissing caught their attention, and they turned to see Mrs Cake pouring an entire bag of sugar into a small cup at a nearby table. She was just staring at Gaea.

“Oh dear...” Gaea sighed.

“Maybe we should move along...” Twilight suggested. “Let them finish setting up”

Twilight left some bits on the table and led her guest out the door.

More ponies were out and about now, and Gaea's presence drew more attention. The townsfolk were surprised, but polite, greeting Gaea with hellos and curtsies. Crossing the market square, Twilight and Gaea made it to Rarity's home, the Carousel Boutique. Twilight knocked on the door and announced their arrival.

“Rarity, it's Twilight. I have somepony here you would like to meet.”

Rarity paused her sewing. “Now who could this somepony be?” she wondered. She walked to the door, pulling it open to reveal the mystery guest. Rarity's eyes first met Twilight's face, then glanced up at the tall figure behind her.

“You must be Rarity,” Gaea said. “I have heard much about you from your friends.”

“Oh! Well, thank you.” Rarity blushed with pride. “Please, come inside. Let me show you around.”

As Gaea stepped inside the boutique, Rarity whispered to Twilight. “Who is she? I've never heard of someone like her.”

“Her name is Gaea,” Twilight whispered back. “She's mother to the princesses!”

Rarity let out a dramatic gasp. “You don't mean... She's royalty!?”

“Shh! She doesn't seem to want to draw attention to it. She's used to keeping out of others business.”

The two unicorns looked over to Gaea who was admiring one of Rarity's latest fashion creations. Rarity noticed the look of pleasure Gaea's face. Put at ease by this sign of admiration, Rarity approached her guest.

“I couldn't help but notice you like my work,” Rarity proudly said. “I think the rubies I included really bring out a sense of passion.”

“They seem to like how you have presented them as well,” Gaea noted.

“Pardon?” Rarity was a bit confused by this statement.

“They appreciate how you have arranged them to show their inner fires from all points of view. You really have a talent with gemstones.”

Twilight spoke up to help her friend understand. “Gaea has a strong connection to the earth.”

“Really?” Rarity was impressed. She turned back to Gaea. “So, you can 'speak' to gems?”

“Gems, stone, soil... Even the fires deep underground are really liquid earth.”

“That is quite impressive! I can find gems easily enough, but, do you think you could teach me how to communicate with them. I would be able to make some truly fabulous dresses with that skill.”

“I will try,” Gaea promised. She liked the idea of having somepony so eager to learn from her.

“Mind if I listen in?” Twilight asked.

Rarity pulled out a chest of precious stones, and the three of them circled around it, ready to begin the lesson.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Only a couple of hours had passed, but Rarity soon had a loose grasp of the language of the earth. Rarity was a bit worn by the effort, but was excited to tackle bigger, more elaborate projects with this knowledge.

“Phew! What an afternoon!” Raity sighed. “Wasn't that fun? Twilight?”

Twilight had not had the same level of success as Rarity, not being so connected to the gems, but she had gathered some notes onto a parchment she found to study later. Twilight rolled it up and placed it on a table.

“I'll have to pick this up later,” Twilight said. “Appejack is probably done her chores for the morning by now, so we're going to go visit her next.”

“Oh, do say hello to her for me. I need to finish up the outfit I was working on,” Rarity explained. She then turned to Gaea. “But please, come back tomorrow morning. I just have to thank you for taking this time for me.” Rarity had an eager smile, hoping that Gaea would accept her offer of a gift.

“Then I shall return in the morrow.”

The white unicorn quivered with glee. Bidding farewell to Twilight and Gaea, Rarity fell back into her work with passionate vigour. Plans for her gift swam about in her head, and she could hardly wait to put them into motion.

Sweet Apple Acres was not far from Rarity's shop. The massive orchard was packed with apple trees, their fruits gleaming in the sun. Gaea was again pleased to see how well things were under the rule of her daughters.

As they walked along the path, a thumping was heard amongst the trees. Twilight and Gaea stopped and peered through the trees. Between the trunks, Twilight spied Applejack. She was bucking apples from the trees into basket waiting below. Twilight led Gaea to the orange mare.

“Hey there, Applejack!” Twilight called out.

Applejack looked up at her friend. “Well, howdy there, Twilight! Um, who's your friend?”

“This is Gaea. She's staying with me for a couple of days before she heads out to Canterlot to visit her dau-” Twilight caught herself. Applejack might not be to comfortable if she know Gaea was related to the princesses. She never knew how to act around ponies she considered 'fancy'. “-visit the princesses!” Twilight corrected herself.

Applejack didn't seem to notice the save. “Well, golly! You must be one of them foreign dignitary types. Pleased to meet'cha!” Applejack turned to Twilight, “I'd like to show your friend around, but our rooster caught a cold and we all slept in today. I way behind now. Rainbow Dash is around here somewhere, supposedly helping. I think she just took a nap somewhere.”

Gaea spoke up, “I would like to offer my aid to you, Applejack.”

“Huh? Really?” Applejack said quizzically. “That's mighty kind of you to offer, but you don't have to do that.”

“I feel I must. And it would allow us more time to get to know each other. Your friends have been quite kind to me since my arrival, and I wish to return the generousity.”

Applejack gave in. “All right. You ever buck a tree before?”

“Please teach me.”

“Well, it's easy as this...”

Applejack went up to a nearby tree and turned her back to it. She lowered her front legs, and with her rear legs, gave a mighty kick to the trunk. The tree shook violently, and apples rained down into the baskets on the ground.

“Now you try.”

Gaea approached another tree. Mimicking Applejack's posture, she kicked out. The leaves rustled, and the apples rained down. One fruit fell from an outstretched branch, bopping the alicorn on the head.

“Oops!” Applejack commented. “Are you alright?”

Gaea straightened her eyes and gave a laugh. Applejack was at ease once more.

“You have to watch out where you buck, or that'll happen.”

They set out in different directions to harvest the field. Twilight used her magic to pull the apples down, but Gaea was enjoying the stretch kicking out gave. She developed a rhythm, quickly moving from tree to tree, her blows growing steadier. She approached a large, thick tree, and gave it her most enthusiastic kick.

Gaea, in her fun, had began to kick with less care. Upon landing her hooves on the bark, an intense stab of pain shot through her body. Gaea tensed up, and fell to her side. She stifled a groan, and clutched her ribs. The injury that forced her into resting had not healed as well as she had hoped, and, in her carelessness, had come back to her attention.

Pulling herself to her knees, Gaea caught her breath. She glanced around, hoping nopony saw what had happened. Seeing herself to be alone, Gaea sighed in relief. Then, a voice came from above.

“Hey! Was that you who woke me up?”

Gaea looked up. Hanging from a branch was a blue pegasus with a spectrum of colours decorating her mane. “This must be Rainbow Dash,” Gaea thought.

“You're not stealing apples, are you?” the pegasus enquired, gliding to the ground.

Gaea was outright offended by such an accusation. How dare she be spoken to in that way. Forgetting her pain, Gaea rose up, her eyes glaring at the brash mare.

“I am helping Applejack harvest the fruits of her labour,” Gaea proclaimed. “Something I am to understand you were supposed to be doing.”

“Yeah, but I got pretty tired, so I was just resting for a bit.”

“Tired!? Well, you must be plenty rested now, so you should return to your duties.”

“Yeah...” Rainbow said sarcastically. “I don't really take advice from strangers, so I'm going to find Applejack and tell her there's someone taking her apples. See ya!” With that, Rainbow shot into the sky.

Gaea knew she could have let the pegasus go and Applejack would explain the situation, but she was in no mood for that. She wanted to teach Rainbow Dash a lesson in respect herself. Gaea bent down, spread her wings, and took off after the colourful mare.

Rainbow was circling around, scanning the ground for Applejack. See didn't notice Gaea approaching until she was almost on her. With a yelp of surprise, Rainbow took off for the clouds with the alicorn in pursuit.

“So, you think you can catch me?” Rainbow mused to herself. She flew straight up, drawing Gaea in right below her. Then, Rainbow spun around into a dive. Gaea banked hard to one side to avoid a collision. Rainbow was headed right for the trees, a streak of colours trailing behind her. Infuriated now, Gaea dove after her.

As Rainbow hit the canopy, she turned hard and zigzagged between the trunks. Gaea tried to follow, but her size and injury did not allow the aerial grace of the pegasus, and she crashed through the branches. As Gaea recovered, Rainbow flew by her as a taunt. Taking advantages of this cocky display, Gaea raised her horn. Rainbow looked away from Gaea to see where she was headed, only the be suddenly stopped by a wall of dirt. Rainbow crashed into the barrier so hard her head poked through the other side of it and was very stuck. Gaea approached her prisoner, her voice steadily growing louder.

“You dare accuse Queen Gaea of thievery, and mock us with your antics? WE CANNOT IGNORE SUCH IMPUTENCE! YOU ARE -”

Gaea's speech was cut short by the arrival of Twilight and Applejack on the scene.

“What in tarnation is going on here?” Applejack asked.

Realizing what she was doing to her host's friend, Gaea felt a deep shame of her actions. She freed Rainbow from her earthen shackles, and turned her head in embarrassment.

“I'm sorry.” Gaea backed away, suddenly wishing to hide back into the ground. She could not bring herself to look at Twilight. “I let myself get carried away.”

“So, you do know her,” Rainbow asked Applejack.

“Yes. Twilight brought her here as part of a welcoming tour before she visits the princesses. What did you do to upset her?” Aplejack looked crossly at her feathered friend.

“I thought she might be stealing your apples. I was on my way to warn you and -”

“Rainbow! Does she look like a thief.

Rainbow looked over to Gaea. She could see that the alicorn was deeply sorry for losing her temper, and Rainbow knew that she had not been very welcoming. Her head low, Rainbow approached Gaea.

“Um, look, I'm really sorry I called you a thief. I was just looking out for my friend. These apples are very important to her.”

Gaea looked to Rainbow. “I forgive you. Would you... Forgive me?”

“Sure,” Rainbow smiled. She then turned to Applejack and Twilight. “Hey, I'm going to help her with the apple trees over this way. We'll meet up with you when we're done, 'kay?”

Twilight and Applejack smile at each other, glad that the situation had been resolved.

“Alrighty, then,” Applejack answered. “We'll see you around suppertime.”

“See ya!” Rainbow waved to her friends, and headed into the trees with Gaea. They were quiet for a minute, then Rainbow asked, “Who's Queen Gaea?”