• Published 18th Feb 2012
  • 1,541 Views, 33 Comments

Earth and Sea - beasert



The recent troubles in Equestria bring forth the queen to investigate.

  • ...
2
 33
 1,541

New in Town

Fluttershy had said the library Twilight was living in was in a great tree near the edge of town. Gaea stepped into the edge of Ponyville, its homes and shops just ahead. The town had a cozy, welcoming air about it, drawing the alicorn in.

Circling the outskirts, Gaea searched for the library. After a time, she began to suspect that she went the wrong way. “No point in doubling back,” Gaea sighed, looking back. As she turned to move onward, she was caught off guard by an excited pink creature.

“Hi!” the pony exclaimed. “I haven't seen you before! Are you new here? You must be new here, because I haven't seen you around before. In that case; Welcome to Ponyville! I'm Pinkie Pie! What's your name?”

Gaea was a bit flustered by this sudden rush of words. “Oh, um, you may call me Gaea,” she said, regaining her composure. “It is a... pleasure to meet you.”

“Hiya, Gaea! Say, are you royal or something? You look royal. Oh! Oh! Do you know the princesses? Have you come to see them?”

Pinkie's constant stream of questions was quite disconcerting to Gaea, but she listened patiently for a chance at answering even one of the candied pony's questions. “Yes,” she finally managed to say. “I do know the princesses, and am on my way to see them. I am seeking the assistance of the one known as Twilight Sparkle. Could you lead me to her?”

“Sure I can! But, the princesses are in Canterlot, right over there,” said Pinkie, pointing to a mountain range on the horizon. Gaea focused her eyes and caught sight of ivory spires rising from the rock face. “You can fly right to it! Unless you need something at the library.”

Gaea swallowed. There were her children, right there on those distant mountains. “I could fly right to them...” Gaea thought. “Maybe...” She returned her attention to Pinkie, her big blue eyes gleaming with eagerness to help. “I hear that Twilight Sparkle is a student of Princess Celestia, and I would like to learn a few things before I set out.” Gaea hoped that would be excuse enough to stay earthbound for Pinkie.

“Well, then, I'll take you right to her! Follow me!” Pinkie excitedly said as she skipped towards town, the queen following closely behind.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Twilight was busy burying herself in the latest additions to the library when her ears perked at a knocking from the door. “Spike!” she called. “Could you get that.”

“On it!” came a reply from downstairs. Spike, a baby dragon and Twilight's assistant, put down the stack of books he was carrying and walked towards the door. As he reached for the doorknob, the door slammed open, and a bouncing Pinkie let herself in.

“Twilight! Guess what! I met somepony new in town today! Well, she wasn't really in town. More like wandering around it. But she's looking for you so you can take her to see the princesses!”

Twilight was used to these sudden, loud visits from Pinkie, and was calmly making her way down stairs until she heard mention of the princesses. She rushed the rest of the way, wondering who this stranger her friend had found could be. Dashing around the stunned dragon and pink pony,Twilight came to a halt between the door and her guest. She was quite surprised at the sight of the strange alicorn on her step.

“Oh my!” Twilight exclaimed, quickly bowing. She wasn't sure what the alicorn's stature was, but felt it was best to act hospitably. “Hello. I'm Twilight Sparkle. I heard you're looking for me?”

“Yes, Twilight, I was. I understand that you are planning a trip to Canterlot soon. Is that correct?”

“Yes, your... um,” Twilight trailed off, unsure of how to address the queen.

“Gaea, please.”

“Yes, Gaea,” the unicorn smiled, happy with her lesson. The relaxed nature Twilight was sensing from Gaea made her feel as easy as if she were talking to Celestia.

“I was hoping to accompany you on your journey. Would you have me?”

Twilight tried to contain her joy at the idea. She wouldn't be leaving for a while, but the unicorn's head swam with what she may learn from the time spent around this alicorn. “Of course!” she squeaked, smiling from ear to ear. “I won't be leaving for a couple of days, but make yourself at home.”

Twilight stepped aside, letting Gaea through. As they stepped inside, they stopped in surprise. A welcome banner hung from the ceiling and balloons floated about the library. Pinkie jumped out in front of them, breaking out into a song.

“Welcome! Welcome! Welcome! A fine welcome to-”

“Pinkie!” Twilight cut in. “You already welcomed Gaea.”

“Oh, right!” Pinkie giggled.

Turning back to Gaea, Twilight asked “So, would you like me to show you around? I could tell you about Ponyville, or I could introduce you to some of my friends. They're student of Princess Celestia as well.”

“That sounds like a splendid idea.”

“Spike,” Twilight addressed her assistant. “I'm going to be showing our guest around town. Would you finish sorting the new books for me, please?”

The dragon blinked, shaking off the last of his confusion. “Uh, yeah. Sure.”

“Great! See you this evening!” And with that, Twilight and Gaea headed off to town.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Finally,” Poseidon sighed. He touched down on a rocky shore, and pulled a map from his bag. Some clouds drifted lazily in the sky, but he could still make out enough stars to determine which way to go. “The forest should be just over these mountains,” he thought to himself. The stones rippled at their peaks, a wall formed from wind and rain. Poseidon spread his wings and flew up to their tops.

Cresting the peaks, he paused to survey his surroundings. Something was odd. It looked like a white plain stretching as far as he could see. Poseidon glided down to get a better idea of what was going on. As he landed, his hooves made a soft hiss as the sand dominating the landscape gave way to his weight.

Confused, Poseidon consulted his charts again. “Maybe I'm further off than I thought, but there should still be a forest around here...” He looked around again. “By the Creator, where am I!? There isn't even supposed to be land here!” The alicorn sat down, wondering just how much his charts were out of date, but the king would not let this set him back. “Bah! I know I'm at least headed the right way.”

Poseidon took flight once more over the pale sands of the moonlit desert. He cast an eye upward, wondering if Luna could see him.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The sun rose before Poseidon only a few hours after he had reached the desert. It's position on the horizon confirming that he was on the right track, and making him soar even faster.

Ahead of him, Poseidon saw something rising out from the sands. It wasn't one of the rock formations that dotted the landscape. As he got closer, Poseidon saw that it was a small town. He thought that maybe this was his destination.

Landing behind a large rock, Poseidon considered his options. His charts were of no help here anymore, so he would have to figure out where he was going. Poseidon hoped that the town was populated, and someone there would be willing to help. Figuring it best to cause as little of a stir as he could, the alicorn magically shrunk himself to the size of a pony, tucked his wings under his cloak, and headed towards town.

Poseidon arrived about a half hour later, his hooves burning and his tongue dry, but he ignored that when he saw a lively and cheerful community living amongst the sands. He looked about, pleased with how well ponies in this age were doing. His heart filled with pride for his people and daughters.

He spotted an authoritative looking pony sitting on a patio, a silver star pinned to his vest. “Excuse me,” Poseidon said to the stallion. “I'm trying to the Everfree Forest, but my charts have brought me here instead. Could you point me in the right direction?” Poseidon lay his map down for the pony to see.

The moustached pony to a look at the charts, then turned to Poseidon. “Well, here's your problem. Your missing the whole desert! The Everfree Forest is way over near Ponyville.” Poseidon's jaw dropped. “Who gave you this thing anyway?”

“This is just great,” Poseidon grumbled. “How far is it to Ponyville?”

“You'll get there by tomorrow afternoon if you take the train.”

“Train?” Poseidon thought. He figured this would be the best way to accurately get to his destination. “Where is this 'train'?” he asked.

The question was met with a raised hoof pointing behind him. Poseidon turned and saw a platform, parallel iron bars running alongside it and going off into the desert. “It won't be here for a few hours, so why don't you get a ticket and make yourself comfortable until then.” With that, the pony went back to his relaxing.

Poseidon made his way to a building by the platform. He went to a small window attended by an old pony in a visor cap.

“I would like a ticket,” Poseidon stated.

“Where to?” the pony asked.

“Ponyville.”

“That'll be eighteen bits, then.”

“...” Poseidon didn't have any money. “Would you accept some mangoes?” he asked, smiling hopefully.

“Get outta here, kid.”

Poseidon stepped off the platform. He could continue flying, but he could take days trying to figure out where he was trying to get to. He wandered down the road, eventually stopping in front of a tall building adorned with a picture of a salt cube. A yellow stallion with an orange mane stepped out of its doors, nearly crashing into Poseidon.

“Whoa, there!” the pony cried. “Sorry, pal. I didn't see you there.”

“It's alright,” Poseidon assured him.

“Hey, are you new here?”

“Yes. I just arrived this morning.” Poseidon answered.

“Well, welcome to Appleloosa! I'm Braeburn. Wait...” Braeburn paused. “You just arrived. You mean, as in 'this morning' just arrived?”

“Yes. I was heading for the Everfree Forest, but my charts are out of date for this area and I am embarrassingly a bit lost.”

“Well, shoot! That is a pickle. But what were you doing in the desert?”

“Getting lost, mostly,” Poseidon said with a chuckle.

Braeburn laughed too. “Well, that happens from time to time. But, now that you're here, you can take the train. It goes near Everfree Forest.”

“Yes, but I don't have any bits.”

“Hm... That is a problem.” Braeburn rubbed his chin in thought. “Money's a bit tight 'round here right now, but maybe we can work something out.”

The two stallions walked along the road, Braeburn muttering to himself what he could get Poseidon to do. They crested a hill overlooking an apple orchard. “Well,” Braeburn finally said. “'Bout the only thing I can think of is helping us get the harvest in early this year. Think you can buck a tree?”

Poseidon walked towards a nearby apple tree. Its leaves were small and its fruit looked dry. Braeburn stepped beside him. “Yep, we're caught in a doozy of a drought right now. We're trying to harvest the apples before they cork too badly, but it's really gonna hurt our town. If you help us get as many good ones off the tree as you can today, I'll try to get you a ticket for tomorrows train. Does that sound good.”

“No,” Poseidon thought. “That doesn't sound good.” He was in a hurry, but he had an obligation to help these Equestrians. “Give me a moment,” he said. “I have an idea.” Poseidon pointed his horn to the ground, pawing at the dry earth. He wandered around a bit as Braeburn looked in confusion.

“What the hay are you doing?” Braeburn asked.

“Dowsing.” Poseidon simply replied.

Poseidon followed his horn far past the orchard. Then, he sensed something far below him. Water was flowing deep underground. Poseidon smiled; this would be beneficial to everyone. Planting his hoofs firmly, the disguised alicorn began his magic. The ground gave a faint vibration as Poseidon tried pulling the water up through rock, dirt and sand.

Braeburn felt the vibrations as well. “What in tarnation is that!?” he cried. “There ain't supposed to be a stampede for another month!”

Suddenly, a geyser burst forth from the ground near Poseidon. The water poured forth, spilling onto the baked earth. Poseidon shaped the flow towards the orchard, steadily carving the ground into a channel. Ponies among the trees heard the roar of the water and ran for the hills, not knowing it was under control. A brook now weaved between the trunks of the trees. Poseidon then forced the water back into the ground at the end of the stream, making a well that rejoined the water below. His spell complete, the stallion sat down on his haunches to admire his work.

The Appleloosans that lined the hill were astonished. They now had a brook to quench the thirst of the trees and theirselves. A cheer rose up, praising the strange 'unicorn' that saved their trees.

Braeburn ran to Poseidon. “That was the most rip-roaring thing I've seen!” he panted. “Thank you!”

“Anytime,” Poseidon smiled.

A whistle sounded in the distance. “That's the train!” Braeburn said. “Look, it's nothing compared to what you've done for us, but I'm gonna make sure you get on that train today!” The two of them hurried back to the train platform. Braeburn had explained Poseidon's situation to the other ponies on the hill, and they happily chipped in their bits for a ticket. At the platform, Poseidon return to the old pony with the tickets.

“A ticket to Ponyville, please.”

“Do you have eighteen bits now?” the old stallion warily enquired.

Braeburn plopped his hat filled with bits and cents onto the counter. “That and more!”

Soon, Poseidon steeping onto the train. “You come back anytime, now!” Braeburn told him. “You'll always be welcome here.”

“Thank you, and I hope to come by here again soon.” The whistle blew again, and Poseidon went to take a bench. He watched out the window as the town rolled out of view, and the desert scenery ran by. It was a fortunate turn of events, and he looked forward to what Ponyville had in store for him. Settled in, he took out a quill and a blank parchment, and began work on adding his new place to his notes.