• Published 12th Jul 2013
  • 4,007 Views, 88 Comments

Taking A Stand - ShadeJak



Set in PonyEarthverse. When those who have turned into ponies find themselves increasingly threatened by aggressive hate groups, the Mysterious Mare Do Well rises again to fight back with a message of her own.

  • ...
4
 88
 4,007

Change Of Plans(And Species)

“Uh… Kyle? …Why are you staring…?”

Uh, ‘cause you’re the hottest and coolest girl I’ve ever met?

No, I looked way too shocked to make that claim passable.

You made funny sounds in your sleep?

No, that’s quite a delayed reaction.

You caught me thinking of something else?

No, that’d never work either.

Aw hell, I waited way too long.

“Steph? TRY not to panic, okay?” I asked, looking over at the nightstand and magically turning on the lamp. Instinctively, she raised her hoof up in front of her eyes.

“What the hell, Ky—“ Steph yelped when she noticed that she no longer had a hand, let alone an arm. Shuddering, she held her foreleg out, touching the cute little muzzle she now had as well and looked at me, her huge purple eyes wide with fear. “….Kyle? W-what does the r-rest of me look like? A-am I… a….?” She asked, her voice trembling. Looking down, she nervously pushed away the loose clothing and struggled her way out of her shirt, and sure enough, was greeted with lilac pony body. Before I could speak, she climbed off the bed and promptly fell on her face, attempting to walk over on her hind legs and being about as successful as expected. Getting herself up again, she settled for just crawling over to the mirror doors, and saw the dainty pegasus mare Flitter looking back at her.

“Oh my god… i-is that… me?” She asked, inching away as I hopped off the bed and came to her side. "I-I'm a-a-a... a... po-ony?!"

“I’m afraid it is, Steph. Welcome to ponydom, for better or worse.” I muttered, putting my hoof on her shoulder.

Steph hung her head, her sea-green mane falling in front of her face. I could tell she wanted to cry, I didn’t blame her; our chances of being able to travel or deal with people were seriously reduced like this. The young mare fell to her haunches, her head still hung low and shivering slightly.

“Hey, Steph? Sweetie, c’mere.” I said, moving my hoof under her chin and tilting her head up towards me. “It’s gonna be okay… we got the costumes, our supplies… hell, look at me! I had to handle being ponified and getting my gender changed in the process! I’ve managed as best I can, so will you. Hell, you’ve been through a lot, I know being in a pony body is something you’ll be able to handle.” I said, giving her my best smile, or the best I could give with the form I now wore and she threw her forehooves around me. After overcoming the slight surprise I returned the embrace as I allowed her to snuggle into it. Resting my head atop hers, I gently brushed my hoof through her mane.

“And not to mention, in case you haven’t noticed, check out the new appendages.” I said, playfully patting the wings on her back.

As soon as I did, they popped straight out, startling me a little.

“Whoa, whaddya know, wings…” She said as she looked down at her back, staring in awe at them and watching them fold back up, then spread again.

“And you’re a seriously a world-class cutie as far as ponies go.” I added, causing her to giggle slightly and look at her reflection again.

“I guess I am pretty adorable.” She said, managing a small smile.

“Like I said, world-class cutie.” I said, giving the lilac pony a peck on the cheek, causing her to give the most adorable shy look ever. I can assume she was blushing, hard to tell with the fur coat. “Well, we should probably clean up or something, been awhile I haven’t exactly cleaned myself off since I went all pony.”

“May need to check online for exactly how to clean a horse.” Steph answered, looking back at her wings and trying to make them open and close.

“You alright?” I asked.

“As alright as I can be waking up like this… I wasn’t exactly expecting to wake up with four legs and a pair of wings and not to mention lose over half my original height.” She answered. “Just trying to figure these babies out, if I’m a pegasus I really should learn how to fly and from her bio card Flitter’s apparently pretty good.”

“Well, I’ll go look online for getting these pony bodies cleaned right.” I said, leaving the bedroom and heading into the den where the laptop remained where we’d last left it. Moving the mouse with my hooves and going to the bookmarked youtube I looked down at the keys, trying to focus on the ones that’d spell out ‘bathing a pony’. Clicking on it and watching, I felt a little burst of satisfaction of doing that for Steph… weird, she was a pony now… did I find her more attractive now since I was also one? I never really questioned Amethyst’s orientation and I sure hope we had the same preference as I didn’t need any confusion right now.

With my new knowledge of how to handle the hygienic needs of this body fresh on my mind, I trotted back into the bedroom and found Steph was now hovering a few inches off the floor as she flapped her wings, only to fall back down a second later. “Not a bad start.” I said.

“I wish. I can’t last more then a few seconds.” She answered, snorting. “Whoa… now I just made a horsey-noise there…”

“Yeah, comes with the whole pony package I guess.” I replied. “Well, anyway, I got the whole cleaning thing covered. The shower stall should be big enough to fit us both.”

“Oh really now?” Steph asked, trotting over with a playful smile and earning a shocked, blush-ridden expression from me as she trotted past me and into the bathroom, prompting that I follow.

~

About forty minutes later, we emerged together from the bathroom, all cleaned and dried off and smelling nice and fresh. For added effect, I put a ribbon on Steph’s mane, magically tying it into Flitter’s distinctive bow and earning a shy smile from Steph in return. “So… uh, what now? I guess driving’s gonna be a tad hard to pull off now if we’re both ponies.”

“Maybe if you steer and I could work the pedals with my magic?” I asked.

“Get serious Kyle, what makes you think that would ever work?” Steph replied with an eyeroll.

“Good point.” I said. “Well in the meantime we’ve got a city pretty close by, anti-pony sentiment all around, and a bunch of Mare Do Well costumes all on a lovely Wagnesday! Maybe what we need to do is brush up on our skills, I can pull a few crazy feats off by instinct but I don’t have any proper magic training so I can’t do anything other then telekinesis and some really crappy teleportation so I guess that means get a little more skilled with the former. It might do you some good to get some practice with those wings.” I said, watching as she flapped them a few times. “Gotta admit, I’m a little jealous I bet flying’s gotta be really fun.” I said with a small smile.

“Says the pony who has the best substitute for hands.” Steph said, smirking back as she tried flapping her new wings some more, then stretched them a few times finding she could move the largest feathers individually. “Huh… well that’s weird. If I didn’t know better I’d think I practically got a pair of giant hands on my back. Can we say ‘freaky’?” She mused.

“Good to know you’re not just stuck with hooves then.” I said, turning my attention on the laptop as I used my magic to switch it on and visit good ol’ facebook. Raising an eyebrow at my own page, I looked at the photo that showed me and Steph arm-in-arm smiling at the camera which made our profile image and frowned a little… all just a memory now. Focusing on some of the keys, I typed out Pinkie Pie and sure enough I saw a profile of her… or the one who became her and she had a ludicris supply of friends to say the least. No shock there. I also saw Fluttershy’s… just as adorable as she is on the show I see. I fight off my closeted desire to hug that puppy-eyed pegasus and check other pages. Some were out-and-proud bronies who sought to watch the backs of ponies travelling to New York, as well as provide money and shelter and such should they need it. It was a relief to know people like that existed, calling themselves Night Guard and such... maybe Steph and I would run into a few whenever we finally got off our haunches and started travelling... In the meantime, we also had PAPA to worry about. The incident outside the store the other night and the one I’d heard about with Fluttershy proved to me they had members who decided to take their hatred much further then sign-waving and annoying protestors, and it made me all the more motivated to deal with them more directly. That, however, would require training and I was quite glad it was still pretty much morning which meant plenty of time!

It was fortunate my living room was very spacious that made it possible for Steph to improve on learning to fly; I don’t think we were quite ready to go outside and be seen by neighbors after all. She had to take several starts of going off the ground, but was soon able to hover in the air for several minutes. A little while later, she was able to land more softly. That meant time for her next step; taking to the air from a high place. We didn’t have any clouds or cliffsides to use in the house so we settled for the dining room table.

Needless to say, this proved more challenging. As cute as she looked even when she landed on her face, sometimes she just looked discouraged enough to stop and I’d do my best to encourage Steph to try again. Eventually, she was able to make a softer landing from jumping without me having to use telekinesis to slow her descent. We’d been through rough times; being turned into a couple of ponies wasn’t going to stop us now!

It took maybe an hour and a half to exhaust us. Chalk it up to ‘trying too hard’. Or maybe it’s because I was never a morning person. Either way, it left us tired enough to want to take a power nap. Going over to my cell phone, I pushed it open with my hooves and used my magic to get to my alarm, setting it for about two hours of sleep. Satisfied, I climbed up on the couch and looked over at Steph, who cocked her head.

“Well?” I asked, patting the sofa with my hoof.

Steph brought a hoof to her face and she giggled a little before flying over and landing beside me. Using magic, I made the small blanket I normally had draped over the back of the sofa lay atop us.

“So… ponies, huh.” She said.

“Yup.” I muttered.

“Ya know… it’s weird, right before I woke up, I swear I was seeing Flitter in my dreams. It was for a second but I remember it now.” Steph mused. “She looked… lost and confused somehow. Before I could answer, I woke up and here I am as her…” She said, looking at her hoof and brushing it through her mane and looked over at me with those large eyes of Flitter’s.

“Last night I met her… Amethyst.” I said. “She was in my dream, we talked. I think she might, I dunno, be in here somewhere.”

Steph seemed to grow worried. “Think Flitter's in me, then? Will we still be ourselves? Are you still… attracted to me?”

I blushed, though I dunno if she’d be able to tell given my pink fur coat. “Duh, why wouldn’t I be?” I asked, giving her a kiss and laying one hoof over her as she snuggled up to me. “She admires you, too, if that means anything. I’m just glad I didn’t end up as Trixie or Gilda or something.”

"Hold me... this is a lot to take in..." Steph said, her drowsiness slowly winning out over her worry. “Wonder what’ll happen… when this is all over.” She wondered. “Will we turn back? Will we end up in Equestria living our lives as these ponies?”

Equestria certainly seemed a nicer place then here… if one didn’t mind monsters, possessed rulers, and of course a rampaging chaos god. I sometimes wondered if the beauty and harmonious nature of the place was what drew the appeal.

Or it could just be with shows like… well… every reality tv show that ever existed and the depraved idiots they glorified, or the blowhard pundits hosting talkshows to shove their extreme views down everyones’ throats, who’d have guessed a toy-driven animated show aimed for girls half Stephanie’s age would show itself to be cleverly written and enjoyable enough to grant us that escapism we so desperately seek when we turn towards the television to provide us entertainment. Only, from the looks of things, the show was in fact real, apparently. Somewhere out there, in another universe? Was it that crazy theory introduced to me in a Justice League Animated two-parter?

Multiverse theory… that stuff makes the brain hurt. Made me wish Whooves was the pony I ended up as then maybe I could have figured it out in no time. No such luck though.

Letting my mind wander a little more, I felt Steph drift off to sleep and soon I did the same.

~

Stephanie

I awoke, not on the couch but on a cloud of all things! The sky was a perfect blue, birds flew about here and there, along with… pegasi?

I looked down and saw I was indeed still Flitter judging by the hooves and the lilac pony body they were attached to.

Was I dreaming?

“Yeah, you are.” A voice said, apparently having read my mind or at least knew what I was thinking. I turned around and there was Flitter, hovering in the air as her wings held her in place. “Guess there’s a lot to explain, huh?” She asked sheepishly.

Author's Note:

Next two chapters are gonna focus on the impending dream sequences of Steph and Kyle as they interact with Flitter and Amethyst Star, allowing them to get some fast training and hone the necessary skill to survive in a world gone mad and more importantly come more to terms with the change they've undergone. I apologize for the shortness of the chapter :twilightsheepish: Things will intensify further along the way, pinkie promise.