• Published 12th Jul 2013
  • 4,007 Views, 88 Comments

Taking A Stand - ShadeJak



Set in PonyEarthverse. When those who have turned into ponies find themselves increasingly threatened by aggressive hate groups, the Mysterious Mare Do Well rises again to fight back with a message of her own.

  • ...
4
 88
 4,007

Where It Started

There’s an old belief that love and fear are our moral compass. I’d say that’s about as wise as saying everything’s black and white. People are guided by a number of things, but fear does indeed hold one of the greatest sways over our actions.

Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate… yeah I think everypony knows the rest. This hate came in the form of prejudice, people who don’t let their curiosity provide them the chance to understand something new choose instead to assume it a threat, or something beneath them they can just force to go away or stomp out.

It’s because of that fear that I knew something had to be done. The world had been changing in ways I doubt a man alive would have imagined…

People were turning into ponies.

A crazy thought, like if Franz Kafka wrote childrens’ books for girls, but it’s true.

I’m not talking about actual ponies one can find galloping around ranches on the countryside either, I mean the equine-like beings from of all things, a popular TV show; the latest revival of the TV show My Little Pony.

What to say about that show? Leave it to the talented mind behind Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends and Powerpuff Girls to create a revival that’d somehow appeal to both the young girls it was aimed for an older audiences, including males. And I thought I’d never see the day such a thing happened, but then again Transformers’ latest incarnations Animated and especially Prime have reached well outside their demographic as well in acquiring loads of female fans, but that’s beside the point… or maybe it was the point. Was its widespread appeal, or those the appeal reached, somehow connected as to who was subjected to the sudden change and who was not?

It all started with the show’s creator and its lead voice actress turning into Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, the two characters who were royalty on the show, with godlike power. Things grew stranger when the week literally extended to the length of an entire year, with the most random names for each day, and more people started waking up in their beds as ponies, or other characters from the show.

And soon enough, I ended up being one of those people, and I’ve been stuck in this body ever since. Confused, afraid, wondering if my life would ever become as it was or if this was permanent. No answers ever came, even after the report of the ‘Mane 6’ being called to New York to fix this all had been made, it seemed nothing was going to change any time soon.

Nothing optimistic anyway; hatred and fear brought a paranoid bunch of people together in the form of a troublesome new group. For the most part they were just picketing places and holding offensive protests… Annoying? Yes. Something we could do without? Yes. But for the most part only that. But some weren’t content to just be that… some of their members had their intolerance mixed with a twisted form of supremacy that made them express their hate in far more extreme ways… vandalism, hazing, and even outright violence. And that’s when I decided it was time to fight back. That’s why now I’m laying on the corner of this rooftop, my head rested on my forelegs while looking down on the streets below, my face hidden under a dark blue mask, my coat and features hidden under a purple bodysuit and fedora, a long, dark blue cape billowing in the breeze. I’d chosen a symbol of heroism from the show long thought gone, but hardly forgotten. Fear from hate and paranoia, and those who exploited it in others, needed to be fought back with fear of reprisal; of consequences…

A message that Mare Do Well intended to deliver. How did I get here? How did I find myself here? And most importantly, when did all this begin for me, exactly? Well that’s an interesting story in and of itself…

~Three Days Ago...~

“GOOOOOOOD MORNING VIETNAM!” Robin Williams’ voice blared out of my cellphone as I jerked straight up in my bed, flailing like a fish out of water as I pawed at the air before falling forward and landing on my chin. A rather random choice for my personal alarm clock, but it had seemed like a good idea at the time.

“Jeez…” I muttered, reaching up to rub my eyes only to find my hands didn’t feel remotely right when they connected; like I didn't even have fingers! When I took a look at them, I saw why; in place of my hands were wide, flat stumps without fingers... or even palms for that matter! Come to think of it my voice didn’t sound right either…

Before I could think about it much I saw a flash of long hair flick up then back down out of the corner of my eye and turned my head over. With a whoosh, it flew back up, then back down. No way… that thing couldn’t have been… no it wasn’t attached to me was it? Nervous, I tensed my muscle again and saw it flick back up and reached out to swat it with the stump that had replaced my hand. Sure enough, I felt the stump connect with it and hold it down, and my fears of it being what I thought it was were confirmed.

“Please, no... not me…” I muttered as life’s latest curve ball had clearly been thrown my way. Thanks to what had been going on around the US, and possibly further then that, I knew enough for the little meter in my head to swiftly go from Doesn't Get It to Gets It (With Much Reluctance). People were randomly waking up as characters from that show My Little Pony… including the show’s creator and its starring actress, who became the show’s dual monarchs Celestia and Luna, who had beckoned the ones who became the six bearers of the Elements of Harmony to meet them up north in New York.

I suppose next comes the part of how I’d know this much about a show whose primary demographic, young girls, was not a term that fit my description? For starters I was not what one would call part of the "brony" fandom, more I was a casual fan. Call it my guilty pleasure. Sometimes the world and all the drama I hear about can suck so much I needed a little sugar bowl escapism, and it was one of those few merch-driven shows that you could tell had a staff that gave a damn about what they made. But that’s beside the point and far from explaining the situation I’m finding myself in!

Letting my eyes adjust to the dim light I examined the stump… or better term was hoof. Raising both up, I rubbed one limb with the other, feeling the soft fur coat. It was kind of a purplish-pink color, the hoof matching the coat. I couldn’t remember any stallions with fur remotely of that color, did that mean…?

My voice did sound much smoother and higher then my original one, like baritone changed to mezzo-soprano… maybe I was just younger? Or, aside from being extremely in denial, was I…? Oh GOD no! No, no, no, no, NO! No way! I reached frantically under my covers, feeling around my new pony body especially between my hind legs in some desperate and ill-conceived hope that what I feared next was not the case. Letting out a whimper that sounded anything but masculine, I closed my eyes, turning my head away as I bent my hooves to pull the covers up. Taking a few breaths, I nervously peered inside...

…and screamed as loud as I could when I saw my original gender did not survive the transformation. Life hadn’t just thrown a curve ball at me, it struck me out right on the spot!

“Oh god, oh god, I’m a girl, I’m a friggin GIRL!” I cried out in a panic, my eyes glued in the direction where I knew one thing was gone and another had replaced it to define my new gender and without thinking I lost my balance when I attempted to get on my hind legs and promptly fell right off the side of the bed, my forehooves wrapped around the blanket I’d desperately grabbed onto for support as I landed right on my head.

Groaning in pain, I rubbed my head with my hoof till it caught something jutting out of my forehead. Tracing my hoof up and finding the point, I managed a small smile despite my situation.

“Heh... at least I’m a unicorn!” I said with a small laugh, letting go of the blanket and rolling myself over so I was right-side up again. Granted, I was not the least bit thrilled about waking up this way, oh far from it, just if I had to deal with waking up as, and likely going to spend an indefinite amount of time as a pony, I’m glad it was something that at least had a far more reliable option for manipulating objects then hooves and teeth that the heavens were kind enough to give me as a small consolation for taking away my manhood and my humanity. Looking at my hooves, I realized sooner or later I was going to need to walk on these.

“O-okay… come on.” I said to myself, slowly trying to stand on four legs. If I could master this, I could reach the mirrored doors that were in front of my closet and get a better look at my new appearance. The first few times, I stumbled and fell over again. Growling, I tried to concentrate on just getting my forehooves up first until I was able to get into a sitting position on my haunches. “Well… one third of the way there…” I said, looking back at myself and seeing my flank for the first time. It was as pink as the rest of me, with an image of three brilliant-cut diamonds prominent on both sides. My tail was thick and violet-colored, with a floral-pink streak running through it. The appearance was vaguely familiar, but I doubt this pony, whoever she was, was as recognizable as Vinyl Scratch or Lyra. If I wanted to find out, I had to stand and walk.

Cautiously, I lifted my back end up with my hind legs, and after a little wobbling, I was able to figure out how to evenly distribute my weight so I could stand right. So far so good. Looking down, I raised a forehoof and tried to take a step forward, then my back leg, which bent in a way I really wasn’t used to so it wasn’t long before I found myself on my side and letting out a grunt of pain.

“Good job, Kyle…” I muttered to myself, turning over so I could sit and stand back up and try again. “Come on, you can do this… not like you have a choice.” I muttered. Closing my eyes and just trying to see if instinct would help me here, I tried to walk again, and this time I did a much better job with leg sequence. “Heh, well there we go!” I said with a grin as I glanced downward long enough to crash into my mirrored doors. This must have looked so ridiculous I’m glad no one’s watching.

Shaking my head, I decide to finally look at the mirrors.

Recognition hits me, blame my girlfriend for knowing the pony’s name. Looking back at me in the mirror was Amethyst Star, a unicorn mare occasionally seen in the background, but had a brief scene with a filly I assume was a sibling some pony she was foalsitting while dealing with an overzealous Rainbow Dash in the Mare Do Well episode. My mouth hangs agape for a moment… the mare in the mirror does the same as I stare at her, her large purple eyes looking right back at me. “This is too weird…” I muttered, still not used to the female voice that had replaced my own and watching my reflection match me. It was probably a good thing this sort of stuff had been all over the news lately or I’d be panicking a lot more. Steph on the other hand… I’d worry about her later.

I fell to my haunches again, bringing my hooves up to the sides of my head as the surprised look remained on my face and reflected back at me. My hooves moved along my new features, the large pointed ears that now rested at the top of my head, the dainty little muzzle that Equestrian mares were known for, the horn that sat atop my head. I opened my mouth and turned my head a little, sticking my tongue out; my teeth were now much straighter... made sense I wouldn't need canines now what with being an herbivorous creature. I turned my body a little, and tried laying down, but ended up falling to my side. Using my forehooves I sat myself up, my back legs still laying one resting atop the other while my new thick, silky tail swooshed into the air.

I let out a snort, then put my hoof to my face... did I seriously just make a pony sound?! Then I noticed how I was laying, like one of those 'sexy' reclining images found on the internet you couldn't escape from if you did a search for images of any given character. Some stranger fans may have found it attractive but knowing that mare in the mirror is me kinda takes that effect away!

Cocking my head, I raised my hoof and brushed back my new mane that matched my tail colors and was a mess thanks to me having just gotten up. I recalled a brush my girlfriend left here that should still be in the bathroom and I was glad this place had a master bedroom that led right to it so it'd be a pretty short trip for my inexperience in quadruped motion.

Entering the bathroom, it soon occurred to me the height difference could be a problem. I was barely above the height of a large dog now… guess the ‘little’ part in the franchise’s name was there for a reason… sighing, I crouched and made an attempt to get myself high enough I could prop myself against the vanity cabinet so I could attend to myself. After a few tries, I was successful in getting my hooves on the countertop and being able to see myself in the mirror. I tried to reach for the medicine cabinet but unfortunately I was too short. How was I gonna… wait, I’m a unicorn, I can handle this!

I looked at the corner of the mirror that opened like a cabinet. “Come on…” I said, closing my eyes for a moment and trying to focus on it opening.

My horn glowed a little, then the handle did. “Come on, come on.” I focused harder, and the door flew open and slapped against the wall. “Okay, note to self, focus less.” I muttered, scanning the shelves within for what I needed. My toothbrush and toothpaste, and Steph’s hairbrush. Smiling, I focused on them and they floated from their place and onto the countertop. Instinctively, I reached for the toothbrush with my hoof, before remembering that with no hands that’d be impossible. Looking at the toothbrush and toothpaste tube, I realized what I’d have to do. Closing my eyes for a moment and taking a breath, I looked at them both and focused.

Five minutes later I’d finished cleaning all the toothpaste off the floor with a washcloth and floated what had landed on my toothbrush towards my mouth, keeping watch over myself as I carefully tried to brush my teeth and get the morning taste out. When I finally finished, I spat out what I could and turned my attention to the hair brush. It was so pink and girly, but then again I wasn’t in a position to judge that anymore.

Focusing and letting it levitate into the air towards me, I aimed it above my head and eased my control, and a second later yelped in pain when it fell on my head… yeah this was really going to take getting used to.

Looking down at it on the floor, I focused again to levitate the brush back towards me, and looked at myself in the mirror again, my tail flicking back and forth as I was clearly getting more frustrated. Five more tries later, I finally had it right and I was brushing out my mane. It actually felt kind of nice... really nice, actually, enough to get a small smile out of me as I continued to work on it. Once I finished, I gave my head a demure turn and let my new, silky violent and pink mane swish into place. If I’m gonna be stuck as a unicorn mare for who knows how long, I may as well make the most of it to keep from going completely nuts.

My expression fell as the notion of having no idea how long this would last hit me. Maintaining a job, going back to college, and especially keeping my relationship was going to be looking far less likely now. Climbing down, I quietly returned to my bedroom and levitated my cellphone, and made it follow after me as I slowly walked into my living room. My stomach growled a little as I passed the kitchen, but I tried to ignore it. I wasn’t entirely sure what this body could handle that I had… I’ve always been a bit more inclined towards meat and didn’t really favor vegetables. Pausing, I figured some experimentation couldn’t hurt. Looking over at my coffee table I floated the cellphone over to it and walked into the kitchen, sighing as it occurred to me that everything was much higher now and would be hard to reach, even with my new magic I’d need to at least see what I was trying to get. I suddenly remembered the Chinese food I still had left in the fridge from the other night. General Tso chicken and some lo mein. Smirking, I trotted over to the fridge and eyed the handle.

“Okay… focus.” I told myself, and as I did, I felt a wave of fatigue come over me and the door refused to budge. Rubbing my head a little, it occurred to me I may have over-focused with cleaning up in the bathroom. I was still pretty new at this so I must have worn myself out a lot faster. “Alright, plan b.” I said, laying myself down on the floor and trying to dig my hoof under the door, and find the spot where it connected. Gritting my teeth, I gave it a firm pull and the door popped open, Looking around inside, I found my prize, grinning as I got up and nudged the cartons toward me with my hoof, and grabbed them in my teeth, pulling both out and placing them next to me on the floor. Getting up and leaning against the cabinets, I tugged open the silverware drawer with my teeth and looked inside, smirking when I found a fork and craned my head in to grab it. Satisfied, I placed it atop the cartons and grabbed their handles again with my teeth, carrying them into the living room. Hopefully I could use my magic to eat with no problem.

Trotting past the papasan chair and climbing up on the couch, I reached for the remote and pressed the power, input, and about five number buttons all at once on it. I tried again, and with no further success. Three more times, and no closer to getting my tv on. “Stupid hooves!” I shouted angrily, swatting the remote aside, hopping off the couch, then trotting over to the tv and smacking the manual power button.

Glancing down at the floor I spied my PS3 controller and swatted it towards the couch. Trotting back over, I climbed back up and lay myself down on it, facing the coffee table where my food was. I didn’t need much focus this time to simply open the boxes and float the fork to the food inside, so it wasn’t hard to make it impale a piece of chicken, then wrap itself around some of the lo mein and bring both straight to my eager mouth. Biting down, I chewed for a little bit, savoring it and finally swallowing. Heh, beat the tastiness of that, pony body! I thought proudly. I floated the fork over towards the box and turned my attention to the tv, where an episode of Transformers Prime was just coming on, earning another grin from me. Several pieces of chicken later, however, I suddenly didn’t feel well. Bringing a hoof to my stomach I felt even more queasy. It couldn’t be…

I immediately jumped down and galloped clumsily towards the bathroom, barely making it to the toilet in time. My nausea grew and before I could stop it, I vomited out the chicken I’d so recklessly ingested. Slumping against the porcelain throne, I groaned in anger. “You gotta be kidding me!” I cried out. “I lose my hands, I lose my humanity, I lose my manhood now I lose my diet?!” I rolled onto my back, kicking out my back legs and planting my forehoof over my eyes as I let out a fit of impotent anger and frustration.

“I swear, anyone who actually wants this to happen to them would have to be insane!” I grumbled. My train of thought was sharply interrupted when I heard the theme to Halloween playing and I realized Stephanie was calling me. I suppose this would at least save me the trouble of having to figure out how to call her and break the news.

Getting up, I hurried back to the living room, trying not to topple over from my inexperience with four legs and pulled my phone towards me. Stephanie’s pretty face was imaged next to her name as the phone kept ringing and I tried to grab it up before remembering I no longer had hands. “Argh! Stupid hooves!” I yelled for the second time today and tried to think of a solution. I didn’t want the call to be missed so I leaned down as best I could and pushed the call button with the tip of my horn.

“Hello?” I asked.

Silence.

“Uh, hello? Steph, you there?” I asked.

“…Uh, who is this?” my girlfriend’s voice asked. Crap! New voice! If I didn’t answer fast she’d probably think I had another girl over.

“Steph, it’s me! Kyle!” I said hastily.

“This doesn’t sound like Kyle. What the hell’s going on here?!” She asked.

“It IS Kyle, Steph! I swear it’s me! That thing the news was talking about, where people are turning into ponies? It happened to me!” I said.

A beat.

“Oh my god… you mean you’re a….?” She started.

“A damn pony, yes. Come on by if you don’t believe me.” I said flatly.

“N-no, that’s not what I meant, besides that…your voice...” She said. Another beat. “Are you… a girl pony?”

I looked down at myself and sighed. Well, no point in lying about it.

“Yeah, I’m a mare.” I said at long last with an audible sigh.

“Oh my god… stay right there, I’ll be over in a sec!” She said and she hung up before I could even answer back. Rolling my large purple eyes, I blew a strand of hair from my mane out of my face and groaned. Things were about to get a lot more interesting when she got here, that was certain…

Author's Note:

And so it begins!