• Published 12th Jul 2013
  • 4,007 Views, 88 Comments

Taking A Stand - ShadeJak



Set in PonyEarthverse. When those who have turned into ponies find themselves increasingly threatened by aggressive hate groups, the Mysterious Mare Do Well rises again to fight back with a message of her own.

  • ...
4
 88
 4,007

Love Intolerant

“Crap, crap, CRAP!” I muttered, pacing back and forth, my tail flicking back and forth in irritation. Steph was on her way over, and I must have squeezed my eyes shut and stood in place thirty or so times hoping this was just a dream to wake up from, with all the same results as before. Finally coming to a stop, I shook my head. Screw it. I’m a unicorn mare, there’s no way out of it. May as well wait for the inevitable. Glancing back at the coffee table I realized I hadn’t finished my food. Unfortunately the chicken was gonna have to go since I could no longer eat it with this pony body. The lo mein should still be okay, nothing but bean sprouts and other vegetables in it. Returning to my place on the couch again, I decided to slouch in a manner that had made Lyra Heartstrings an internet meme and floated the lo mein box and fork over so it was positioned next to me, my hoof holding it against my side. The fork floated in, twirled some lo mein on it, and floated back towards my mouth.

The taste of steamed noodles and teriyaki sauce offered little comfort and needless to say, I felt a need to watch something else to get my mind off of all this till Steph made it over. Focusing, I floated the PS3 remote up beside me, my large eyes studying the device as I tried to figure a way to work it without opposable thumbs, or how I’d be able to do so with magic. I looked up at the TV, then at the remote and placed it on my tummy. Floating the fork, I guided its tip to the power button and switched the console on, and made it push the buttons that ultimately brought me to Netflix.

Smiling, I scrolled through my Instant, then looked under my recommendations. Personally I needed something to get the edge off a little, really. Passing My Little Pony… nope, not in the mood for reminders of my current situation… I continued scrolling and eventually found a few superhero titles, including Dark Knight, The Shadow, Under The Red Hood, X-Men, Kick-Ass, V For Vendetta, and Spider-Man. Yes, I love the superhero genre; why do you ask? It’s been a hobby of mine since childhood, and being a pink unicorn mare isn’t going to change that anytime soon if I can help it.

Superhero stories, what can I say, I love them, from the comics to the cartoons to the films… well, most of the films, and I admit some of the comics have taken some pretty drastic downfalls and foolish shark-jumping all in the name of shock value that had been favored over good storytelling. I always thought these were meant to be worlds we wanted to escape into… not from! That was probably one of the appealing qualities Equestria had, a harmonious and fantastic quality that did have the escapist appeal to it. But even with the fact comics had become so gritty and scary nowadays, superheroes still had ways to give us that; they gave us characters that had used their talents to stand up to evil and oppression because no one else would or could. They had merits and qualities we could admire without being too perfect and flaws we could relate to without being too depressing. Their flaws made the decisions they made with their merits more believable and their merits made their ability to work through their flaws and troubles more admirable. Some had superpowers, some had to rely on skill and wits; but they all had a brave soul to respond to injustice and cruelty with fighting back and showing them it won’t be tolerated, and the costume, I saw as one of the most important parts, it carried a symbol, an image for them to know and recognize that good people can get behind and bad people can flee from, and often just were cool to look at. As I grew up, I had been in and out of martial arts training when money allowed in hopes of being a little more like them and I'd also gone to conventions and cosplayed the hell out of them. The last two caused me and Stephanie to meet, become friends, hang out more, and eventually, well… fall in love.

Slouching where I sat, more realization hit me as I wondered how this was going to work out now. She’s a human woman and I’m now a pony. Sure she had come out as bisexual a week before we started dating so my new gender probably wouldn’t have been nearly as big an issue with her as the species change was going to be. I had to change back somehow; I didn’t want to lose the person who mattered most to me over this.

As if on cue from those thoughts, a minute later I heard a car and soon after a knock.

“Come on in.” I said, knowing she was in for quite the sight. The door opened, and Stephanie entered. Even with my current predicament I couldn’t help but smile a little. She was pretty, with a fit build and shoulder-length blonde hair. She had on her usual blue and purple color scheme wardrobe of denim vest and jeans, and lavender top. Her green eyes widened at the sight of me and she froze in place, her purse slid right off her shoulder and fell to the floor with a resounding ‘plop’, and I watched her carefully, hoping she wasn’t about to faint, as I doubt I’d get there in time and I was still not experienced with this unicorn magic thing enough to move larger things like people around.

“K…Kyle… is… is that really… y-you?!” She stammered, still staring. She seemed to have taken it a lot better on the phone, I guess hearing about something and actually seeing it were completely different things.

I sighed and rolled my eyes. “Yeah, it’s me. Your full name is Stephanie Rourke Talbot, you hate your middle name because you think it sounds too masculine though I always thought it was kinda cool-sounding, and your first cosplay was Catwoman from the 60’s Batman series, which I think you did a great job on despite those so-called master-level cosplayers' overblown criticism, you’re bisexual, and you’re a proud pegasister who got me into My Little Pony about around the end of Season 1 and got me to watch them and Season 2 ever since.”

Steph was silent as I said this.

“And we slept together for the first time last June on the eleventh.” I added.

As I said this, she came over, her eyes not leaving me.

“Kyle…” She said softly and before I realized it she glomped me. “You’re SO adorable! I mean seriously, those eyes are huge!”

I squirmed. “Steph, come on! This is hard enough to handle as it is!” I protested, but I managed to cool down and let her cuddle me. If this helped her cope with the fact her boyfriend was now a pink unicorn I may as well have humored her.

“Right! Sorry, sorry.” She said, letting go. “So… uh… what’s it like? I mean being a pony and I guess the whole gender change?”

I sighed again. “Like a screwed-up dream I’d like to wake up from. Having four legs is still taking a little getting used to, not to mention how much shorter I am. The worst part’s not having hands anymore, or being unable to eat meat. I tried to… it didn’t work out.” I muttered, turning and flopping my front half on her lap, my forehooves stretched out as I rested my head on them and my thick tail flicked back and forth. “Being a mare's kind of emasculating and all but the whole turning into a whole ‘nother species thing's probably just drowning that out. Still, I…” I paused in mid-sentence as she stroked my mane. Damn that actually feels good!

I heard her giggle a little, she was enjoying this for now, I can let the realization sink in later I guess. “So… how’ve you been otherwise?” I asked, my eyes closed as I let her continue.

“Mom’s new job’s working out great, she’s making twice what she did before. That’s just as well I guess since she’s living alone. I’ve checked in with her, divorcing dad has been the best choice she ever made.” She told me. A chill ran down my back at the mention of her father; a retired marines officer who had no idea how to be a good parent. He was more someone who would slam his fist into your chest while keeping a tone suited for idle dinner conversation when disagreed with, a sort of tranquil fury which always scared me about him. Needless to say I’m glad that she got away from him when she did.

“That had been the best choice you both made.” I said. I felt her lean down and put her arms around my neck.

“Second best for me.” She said softly.

“I dunno, I mean how will this work out now? Unless I find a way to turn back.” I said. “But how’s that gonna happen? I mean I can use magic but I doubt they offer transfiguration spells for unicorns at any libraries on Earth.”

Stephanie smirked, amused by my statement but I could see the uncertainty on her face. “Well, maybe it’ll wear off?” She offered.

I shook my head. “People have changed a lot sooner then me, and they’re still ponies. I’m not putting a lot of hope there.”

“Well, look. Lauren Faust and Tara Strong turned into Celestia and Luna, right?” She asked, causing me to raise an eyebrow, not really following relevance there. From what I paid attention to on the news the most they did was keep ponified people from ending up as government lab experiments and preserve our rights for the time being.

“Yeah, so?” I asked.

“Maybe they’ll have answers, or a way to undo it.” Stephanie replied. “But even if all they asked for was the so-called ‘Mane Six’ to show up, I don’t think it’s right to just sit and wait for the best. We gotta do something, go up there.”

I thought about what she said. Go against the order? Show up anyway? Demand answers? Could be fun; and possibly rewarding if we made a good show of it. Not to mention I’d like to go back to a more intimate relationship with the person I loved without the species barrier that had now been thrown in the way.

“Well, good thing we got that savings we’ve been putting together, then.” I answered. My parents and her mom had contributed to it a little in the beginning, and we’d added in enough it was meant to give us a good start when we finally got to living together. “We gotta deal with hotel costs that tend to be pretty high there, and food and gas.”

“It’s six, maybe seven hours.” Steph said matter-of-factly. “Not exactly going cross-country here, and you have family up near there, don’t you? What can go wrong?”

I gave her a look that could melt iron. “Soon as anything does, I’m blaming you for saying that.” I said flatly. “At the least we can go out and buy some drinks and snacks, and leave tomorrow. Like you said it’s not like we’re going cross-country like I heard some ponies are on facebook.”

“So, should we go out, I guess?” She asked.

“Later tonight after dinner. I still need to just… I guess get used to this before I go out in public.” I said softly, lowering my head again. I’d seen the occasional pony out and about lately, but none I recalled from the show, and they got stares all the time… I suppose it’s no surprise given seeing colorful ponies and such wasn’t exactly something people were used to. That meant people were sure to treat me very differently now, too…

…Then there was that hate group, it wouldn’t surprise me if we ran into them or something they did somewhere, and I’d heard on the news about an incident in Kansas with Fluttershy. When was anypony gonna do something about these guys?

…did I seriously use a ponyism in my thoughts?

Shaking my head, I looked back up at Steph, who was staring down at me probably wondering why I got so quiet. “Look, we’ll go out after dinner, till then, let’s just get through some of the marathon I cued up, okay?” I asked, gesturing to the TV with a small smile.

“Sounds fine to me.” She answered, smiling back and taking up the PS3 controller, switching it back on.

A few hours later, we got through Under The Red Hood, Dark Knight, and X-Men. All of them seemed to hit a note for me, the themes of justice vs. revenge, persecuted for being different and how to respond to it, and of course Steph taking amusement at me magically floating popcorn into my mouth and watching the movie so intently as well as geeking out at my favorite parts and my suppressing an odd urge to dance along to the Dark Knight theme. I guess I’d have done the same if it had happened to her so there was no point in being angry or embarrassed over it. She’d made an excellent breakfast-as-dinner of scrambled eggs and waffles, which I enjoyed while taking the chance to practice more of my magic with using the fork and syrup bottle; the latter took some time as I didn’t want a repeat of the toothpaste incident but I got the hang of it and I was especially elated to learn eggs were not banned from my diet; I even recall Rarity had prepared them once in an episode. Dinner had otherwise passed with little more then just further progress down our marathon, such as getting through The Shadow next, a movie I always considered underrated and kind of cool in a pulp superhero way. Not to mention I loved his style of dealing with bad guys.

~

Once dinner was cleaned up, we went into Steph’s car and drove off to the nearby Kroger where sure enough, people and pony alike were there. Not missing an opportunity, Steph picked me up and placed me inside the cart so I could ride in it, plus I think she just found it adorable. We weren’t gonna be buying a load so there should have been plenty of space. Several canned drink cases, a few bags of chips, sandwich supplies which of course included peanut-butter much to Steph’s amusement, and a pair of full-sized towels; the single most massively useful inventions of all time just in case of emergency. Getting through checkout was easy enough; I simply floated the goods onto the counter and watched the cashier scan them, giving me a few odds looks.

“Amethyst Star?” She asked.

“Yeah. How’d you know?” I asked. I admit it was a little odd; anyone knowing who I was. Vinyl Scratch or Dr. Whooves, sure who didn't know them, but this pony?

“My daughter loves the show and has the toy of the character. Just be glad she’s not here or I doubt she’d let go of you.” She said with a laugh.

“Yeah, good to know I got fans.” I muttered with a slight eyeroll, noticing a few children were in fact staring at me and making me feel just a little more awkward. Once we had anything I anxiously gestured towards the door opening Steph got the idea. The sooner we got to the car the better. As I climbed out and began floating stuff into the trunk of the car, I noticed out of the corner of my eye one of the walls on the side had some kind of odd logo on it that looked familiar.

Without a word, I hopped down and trotted over, noticing a crude drawing of a horse with a red ‘X’ drawn over it done all in spray paint. The store would need to hear about vandals, apparently. Before I turned, however, I heard the sounds of a struggle and a whimpering sound.

“Keep the little thing quiet!” a male voice said urgently from around the corner. A female voice was crying, it sounded rather young like a child’s and that was all I needed. There was an old saying about not being a hero, but seriously, if a child was in trouble I wasn’t going to run off and give these guys more time! Sometimes, rules needed to be broken.

My ears twitched when I heard Steph approaching, I raised a hoof to her. “Go inside, call the police.” I said as quietly as I could.

“What are you planning to do?” She asked, almost mouthing it but my new hearing made it easier to get what she said.

“Something possibly crazy, now go.” I whispered. I moved closer. When I turned the corner what I saw made my heart sink.

Three men, maybe in their early 20’s, not much older then me, were struggling with a small pegasus filly whose mouth had been taped over and her wings taped together. They wore black shirts with the PAPA logo on them. That group made my skin crawl; nopony… nobody… was asking for this change! Nobody sane anyway, and these xenophobes wanted to make it more difficult by harassing and terrorizing them left and right simply for being… well… different? I couldn’t let this slide, especially with a child being in danger here. It was odd, usually they just waved signs and bullied ponies, but these guys… they were serious trouble if they were willing to murder a pony in cold blood to get their ‘message’ across. There was a time I didn't like confrontation, even with my experience learning how to deal with it, but now it was time to nut up, figuratively speaking.

Looking around, I saw a few chunks of debris, wood planks, and other things. The men all had knives on-hand; those would have to go first. Focusing with all my strength, I kept hidden and floated their knives away from their belts, surprising them enough and causing them to turn.

“Who’s there?!” One demanded, then he noticed the floating knives. “A unicorn, huh? Using magic against a human’s supposed to be forbidden, you know that, right?” he asked smugly, his grip on the filly not loosened. He then took out a match and struck it, dropping it into a metal barrel next to him and it promptly set ablaze, dangling the frightened young pony over it.

“And murder isn’t? You just made a huge mistake!” I said, giving my voice a low, angry snarl as I kept hidden under an old navy blue sheet near the dumpsters. Focusing, I caused one of the knives to shoot forward and embed itself in his thigh, causing him to scream in pain and toss the filly sideways, thankfully she missed the barrel. As he collapsed to the ground in pain, one of his pals came over, trying to remove the knife but only causing him more pain. Letting the knives float into the burning barrel, I turned my attention onto a plank of wood and sent it flying at the second man’s back like a club, causing him to grunt in pain, turn around, and get struck again in the face, knocking him unconscious while his friend kept crying out from the blade in his thigh. I smirked from my hiding place; pleased that I doing a lot better with the magic thing. The filly squirmed on the ground, trying to escape as the remaining man grabbed her up.

“Show yourself or I drop her in!” The last one shouted, and I knew I had no choice. Using magic, I made the sheet I’d hid under go around myself like a makeshift hooded cape and approached. He waited, so I gathered he must have seen the moving sheet and figured I was on my way over.

“Figures, one of you animals finally snapped!” He said with a sneer. “Your kind’s the reason we exist!”

“Seriously? Murdering an innocent filly?! What’s wrong with you three?!” I demanded in a low, dangerous tone.

“PAPA’s got the right message, but they’re being too soft on you freaks!” The remaining punk snarled. “We’re gonna make it clear your kinds’ days are numbered, starting with this one!” He said, releasing his grip and letting her fall.

“NO!” I cried out, focusing all my magic and I don’t know what I did or how I did it, but a sudden burst of telekinetic energy knocked the man clear off his feet and crashing headfirst into a dumpster, the barrel fell over and the filly tumbled out. I galloped over to her and draped my sheet over her. “You alright?” I asked, looking down at her. The small pony nodded, tears in her eyes and she hugged my foreleg, taking me by surprise. I wasn’t really expecting it, honestly, nor was I really used to it so I just let out a small sigh and patted her on the back with my hoof. A few light singes but she seemed otherwise okay thankfully.

Suddenly, I heard the man who’d gotten the knife to the thigh groan in pain as he pulled it out and began to approach, and I turned my attention to him as he stood, limping towards us. “That’s it, we’ll make an example of you both!” He said furiously. The filly whimpered and hid behind me, still under my sheet.

Not since the time I learned where a nasty bruise on Stephanie’s back had come from almost a year ago had I felt so much anger… but this time was different, I realized. This time, I could do something about an unfair act of cruelty. Levitating the two-by-four again, I sent it right at him and made it smack him several times, he powered through, but I saw my opportunity and had the plank slam into the wound in his leg, causing him to fell to the ground again, too injured now to fight back. Disgusted, I used my magic to float the knife from his hand and send sliding out of his reach. “The only example being made is what a bunch of soulless pieces of garbage you are! I ever get wind you’re harming fillies again, I promise you won’t be in one piece when the cops find you.” I hissed, putting on the best show I could for added effect that I hoped would make sure I got my point across.

Without another word, I had the filly follow me out of the alley, and I saw Stephanie arriving. “Go over to her. She’ll help you, alright?” I said softly to the filly, and I immediately galloped off, leaving her in Steph’s capable hands. No need to be present for the authorities or reporters once they showed and have to answer a million questions that I was too worn out and exhausted from the experience and magic use I’d gone through to answer.

~

“So her name was Mary Geller, ten years old. Apparently she was in the store with her mom when she didn’t feel well and went to the bathroom. She blacked out and woke up as a pony. She came out looking for her mom and got lost in the crowds, and suddenly she got grabbed by those guys. She told the cops what she remembered and what they were gonna do to her.” Stephanie explained as she drove. “Then… in her words…” She said with an amused smirk. “Some totally amazing pony came in and saved her. She couldn’t really tell what she looked like, but she was like a superhero or something. She would have died if this pony didn’t show up!”

I tried my hardest not to blush.

“The police were pretty surprised, aside from an isolated incident or two, PAPA has never been this extreme, they doubt the law will crack down on them as they can’t force many to be accountable for the actions of a few and they’ve yet to be deemed terrorists…” She said, clear disappointment in her tone.

“Great.” I muttered as we finally pulled up to my apartment. I couldn’t help but roll my eyes. “But as long as some sort of crackdown doesn’t happen, people like that won’t be afraid to keep doing what they almost did back there.”

“Well for now, let’s be glad that she’s safe. She was so scared at first, I guess afraid her mom was gonna reject her now.” Steph replied, and my ears twitched a little as worry came over me.

“She didn’t, did she?” I asked.

“Of course not! Her mom was so happy to see she was safe, and told her she loves her no matter how she looks. Still, it’s a lot for a little girl to have to deal with people and like those guys you busted up are only making it harder on her.”

“Tell me about it.” I said as we finally reached the driveway. There had to be something that could be done about it, but I let those thoughts stay in my head as I floated some of our supplies out of the car while Steph carried the rest and we went inside, setting them down on the table. I didn’t doubt for an instant this was gonna hit the news soon so I walked over to the remote and pressed on it, hitting about five buttons at once with my hoof.

Letting out a sigh, I leaned my head down and tried to press the power button with my horn.

“Still adjusting to the new body?” Steph asked as she walked in from putting the cold things in the fridge.

“It’s weird, I didn’t have too much trouble when I needed to use my magic helping that filly.” I said.

Don’t think too much, just do.

Where did that voice come from? “Did you hear something?” I asked, looking around, it sounded like my current body’s voice but I didn’t remember saying it.

That’s how magic works best. Just like opening a peanut-butter jar, just be calm and don’t focus too hard!

Oookay, voice in my head. I thought to myself. “Nevermind… just turn on the news, see if they’re already talking.” I said.

When Steph changed channels, sure enough, news traveled fast when it was live. The reporter went on about the attack, and how a ‘hooded pony’ apparently beat up several men who tried to harm a pegasus filly. PAPA denied their organization as a whole would go so far, and denied knowing of or planning the incident, however from the way the response was worded, it didn’t seem to me they condemned the action either… as I figured. The filly, Mary, was on next.

“I didn’t see her face, but she helped me! I would have died if she wasn’t there!” She said, a woman I assumed was her mother holding her securely in her arms as if afraid something else could happen. “You're my hero, Miss Pony! Thank you! Thank you so much!” The filly said as the reporter took control again and resumed talking.

“The men are being held in custody, authorities have decided not to take action against the unicorn in question as her magic was used in defense to protect another and Mary Geller has given her report on the entire event. However, questions remain over the exact nature of this ‘ponyfication’ pandemic that we hope will be answered in the near future—“

I tapped my hoof on the playstation remote to turn on the PS3 so we could return to our marathon, deciding I'd heard all I needed.

“She’s right you know.” Steph said, sitting with me on the couch. “If you hadn’t helped her, she could have died, and since she was just ponified, no one would have known what happened to her.”

“It was weird, I’ve seen where the hostage cries into or hugs the hero when they get saved, it’s always so heartwarming in the movies, it’s weird actually experiencing it.” I said, my tail flicking from side to side. The most I ever had with anything like that was when I first learned about Steph's home life prior to leaving her father, but I didn't think I'd done anything heroic or life-saving then.

“Well, what you did there was pretty brave, and maybe a little crazy too. But like I said, thanks to you, that filly gets to see another day.” My girlfriend said, mussing my mane while smirking.

“Maybe. But still… I doubt it’s just those three.” I said. PAPA’s all over the country, this country’s got a lot of people, plenty of idiots and xenophobes to join their ranks that could be just as bad or worse, and after tonight I’ve seen there are some that aren’t content with waving banners with misquoted religious passages and skewed hate slogans; I thought to myself while selecting the next movie we were gonna watch as I focused with my magic. Batman Begins, it is.

“At any rate, once the movie’s over, we should probably get ready for our little trip.” Steph said. As I started the movie, though, thoughts of what had happened swam through my mind, and knowing of the part where Batman first introduced himself after saving Katie Holmes from the thugs whom the so-called law enforcement could care less about just brought more ideas into me.

“You know, I’m getting a thought here…” I said, watching the movie intently.

“Them’s dangerous words.” Steph said, playfully patting my head, earning an eyeroll from me.

“Look, I got an idea. Guys like that want to send a message to ponies, maybe somepony… ugh somebody needs to send a message back! Look, what I did back there, the more I think about it, remembering that filly’s face when I saved her, maybe I can do something with this whole being a pony thing! It's sorta like getting superpowers, right?” I explained, annoyed at having made a ponyism again. Seriously, I may look like a pony but I didn’t plan on starting to act like one any more then I had to for getting by. “Do we still have all the materials for making that Spoiler cosplay?” I asked, recalling it as one of Steph’s future cosplays… no the irony was not lost on either of us.

“We got enough for, like three! You did kinda go overboard on the materials.” She replied. It was clear she was aware of where I was going but not wanting to address it.

“Well, they did have a three-for-one deal on everything we needed…” I mused with a smirk. “And are you still good with making hats?”

“Uh, Kyle… what’re you getting at?” My girlfriend asked, getting more concerned.

I looked at my laptop and levitated it to rest between where we sat. Moving the mouse around with my hoof, I grimaced when I realized I’d have to manipulate the keys once I got on the search engine.

Don’t think, just do.

Okay, let’s try this.

I tried to think of the words and the keys slowly typed out the words I had in mind like… well magic, I guess.

“C’mon, Steph. We’ve both read enough comics and have seen enough movies to know that if we’re gonna deliver that kind of message, and fight back like I did back there for that filly. I got the superpowers, now I need a symbol. Criminals are a superstitious and cowardly lot, right?" I asked, recalling a certain superhero's reason behind his care in his symbolic design. "Superpowers don't do it alone, a symbol can strike fear and respect, and bring out inspiration! I think if memory serves, I know just the one!” I said with a smile as I ran the search, and a familiar image appeared.

“We can put off the road trip for a day or so. For now, we got some work to do!” I said eagerly, the movie forgotten but the message about ideas and symbols and fighting fear with fear burned into my mind, but then noticed the look on her face like I was nuts.

“…What?” I asked.

“You realize what you’re planning? You’re gonna be some kind of… pony vigilante in a costume now?” She asked, still wearing that look of disbelief. "I'm for the whole going to New York despite you not being one of the 'Mane Six' but this...?"

“You better believe I'm serious. I’ve been hearing about these incidents with them, and nothing’s deterring them because nobody’s bothering to! There’s a reason for that real-life superhero group having popped up in Seattle, and the other times where you hear about vigilantes popping up! Sure people think they're a little nuts and some are, but heck, the stuff we see in the movies all follow around the same idea: someone decided to stand up and tell people making injustice that they won’t take it anymore!” I said, my expression fell and I put my hoof on her lap. “Steph… please, I’m not doing this because it’s cool, it’s that… you were proud of me for helping that filly… who’s to say this won’t happen to more like her if we don’t do something?” I asked. “Or what people like that’ll do if they think they can get away with it?” The thought of how much pain her father put her and her mother through and essentially got away with passed my mind, and I think from the pained look on her face, the same thoughts entered hers as well. “Steph, if I’m gonna be stuck as a pony for awhile, I wanna make some kind of difference. I need to do this, can you please, please trust me and help me out with this?” I begged; trying my best pouty face which I suspect with this new form, was now infinitely cuter. As I hoped, it looked like she was starting to cave and she hugged me tight.

“I get what you want to do, Kyle. I’m just worried, I guess. I don’t want you getting yourself hurt.” She said softly. I put my hooves around her and nuzzled her gently with my pony snout.

“If I don’t, more ponies could be.” I said. That look on her face, I wanted to kiss her so badly but in this body I doubt she’d be comfortable with that. “I saw and stopped something that could have happened anywhere. I know it sounds so ridiculously cheesy but I think with this I can make a difference.” I explained. I admit I was scared; I could get in over my head at any point, but wasn’t just sitting and doing nothing out of fear just giving those people what they wanted and letting them win?

At long last, she sighed and lowered her head. “Don’t you dare make me regret this, Kyle.” She said softly but sternly. Soon as the words left her mouth I threw my forehooves around her and hugged as tight as I could, blushing.

“Thankyouthankyouthankyouiloveyousomuch!” I rambled at breakneck speed, then paused. “Sorry. Little caught up in the moment there.” I said with a nervous laugh.

“It’s fine. Guess we got work to do, huh?” She asked. Good thing we had off from work, though my job was gonna have to deal with one hell of a phone call.

Author's Note:

Finally, after so much time, I get a new chapter up! Now to focus on concluding Mare Do Well: The Series...

We'll be seeing a more upbeat chapter next time, as Amethyst tries to work out what kind of superhero she'll be, towels will find their first use, and I had to get the inspirational incident through here. Let the games begin!