• Published 3rd Jul 2013
  • 4,452 Views, 163 Comments

Blooming Travels - Soniclink137



Apple Bloom and Spike go on a journey of self-discovery together.

  • ...
16
 163
 4,452

Chapter 7

Apple Bloom and Spike had to wait a few days at Apple Crisp’s house while Spike recovered. While they were both there, Apple Crisp made sure to keep them fed without complaint and he even kept the Royal Guard members that showed up at their door away from Apple Bloom and Spike. Spike was still weary around him, but Apple Crisp was being a stallion of his word and not turning them in.

It took Spike a full day before he was able to get out of bed and a few after that before they could finally remove the bandages from Spike. Once they did Spike naturally spent time stretching his right arm and wing after having them be stationary for such a long time. Afterwards, it was agreed that early in the next morning was when they would bring Spike and Apple Bloom out of the city.

In order to do that, everybody sat in the living room the evening before. The living room was bathed in a dark purple, just like how a cloud would look in the evening. Even the furniture, including the couch Apple Bloom and Spike were sitting on, was bathed in a brilliant magenta. The several windows that Apple Bloom and Spike were facing on the other side of the room were showing an orange light making it literally look like they were inside a cloud during sunset.

“So how exactly are we going to get us all out there?” Spike asked. “I’m still a dragon and still suspicious by pretty much the entire town.”

“It ain’t just you,” Apple Crisp said. He was sitting in a chair on the other side of the room. “Apple Bloom’s pretty much just as suspicious as you when she was seen by at least a fourth of the town running like a jackrabbit with you on her back. Luckily nopony saw her bring you in my house, but the definitely saw her run into Applewood and now the entire Royal Guard is here lookin for you here.”

“Twilight wouldn’t seriously send the entire Royal Guard after us,” Spike said. “She probably did send a good number after us, but the entire guard.”

“It’s an exaggeration kid!” Apple Crisp snapped. “Ah meant that Royal Guard members are lining the streets all lookin for you kids. Both of you. So even Apple Bloom can’t walk around inconspicuously around here without being caught.”

“Sorry,” Spike said with an eye roll and in a voice that highly suggested he wasn’t sorry at all.

“Will you both stop fighting?!” Apple Bloom asked.

Both eyes looked at Apple Bloom with surprise after her outburst. Spike looked down at his feet and said “Sorry,” much more sincerely this time. “I’m just not a fan of the situation we’re in,” Spike continued. “And you can probably guess why.”

“Well Ah ain’t exactly too big of a fan of things either,” Apple Crips said. “Ah’m about to help two kids, one of which being my cousin, escape the guard instead of sendin them home where they should go. Ah’m doin this against my better judgment. Ah’d rather just send ya home where Ah know you’re safe.”

“Well you’re the one letting us go,” Spike said smugly.

“And Ah could change mah mind right here too,” Apple Crisp reminded him. “You can just be glad Ah won’t, ‘cause Ah trust you. Well…Ah trust Apple Bloom more than you Spike. And Ah’m gonna trust that you wouldn’t be doin this for no good reason.”

“Well back on subject,” Apple Bloom said to get everybody back on subject.

“Alright back on subject,” Spike agreed. “So we’ve got a bunch of Royal Guards all around here who would catch us immediately after spotting us. Anybody got any idea of what we can do?”

Apple Bloom smirked. “Hmm Spike,” Apple Bloom said. “Ah wonder how a pony and a dragon trapped in a house in Applewood are supposed ta find disguises. It’s not like they’re at a place where ponies disguise themselves for entertainment all the time.”

“Well I know about that,” Spike said, “but the problem is I’m bipedal, not a quadruped. And I’m pretty sure any bipedal creature walking across the streets would be suspicious considering how few bipedal creatures live in Equestria.”

“Well than Ah guess you should get used ta walkin like a pony,” Apple Crisp said. “It’d be better if we try and get you out lookin like a pony than if we try and get you out as a dragon. Sorry if ya don’t like it, but that’s just how it has to be.”

“So I’m stuck walking on four claws anyways?” Spike asked, clearly not liking the prospect.

“Don’t worry,” Apple Crisp said. “Ah’ll get ya a nice pegasus costume so you can fit your wings in. In fact, Ah even know just the costume for ya.”

Spike rolled his eyes. “Alright fine,” he said. “I should probably start practicing then, shouldn’t I?”

“Ah’d recommend it Spike,” Apple Bloom said. “Ah’m sure it’d feel much different walkin on all fours instead of just two.”

Spike gave her one last look before hoping off the couch. He walked to his left towards the door leading to a hallway and staircase. Both Apple Bloom and Apple Crisp gave him a questioning look because they were expecting him to actually practice in that room. Spike noticed their glances and gave them back an unamused look.

“Did you seriously think I was going to practice in front of you?” Spike asked before walking out.

Now that Spike was out of the room and out of listening distance, Apple Crisp looked directly at Apple Bloom. For a few seconds he searched her face with a fierce look of concentration on his face, making Apple Bloom feel uncomfortable and wanting to squirm back in her seat. After a few awkward moments Apple Crisp finally spoke.

“Why Phoenix?” Apple Crisp asked. “Out of all the places you could have chosen to run away to, why Phoenix?”

Apple Bloom looked away. “…Because Ah thought it would be a good idea,” she said unconvincingly.

“Spike ain’t in the room,” Apple Crisp told her. “Ya don’t hafta lie to me. Tell me the truth, what are you really plannin?”

“Well…” Apple Bloom looked at the door Spike just walked out of just to make sure he’s gone. “Ah…wasn’t gonna head ta Phoenix. Ah was actually thinkin of commin here at first but then Ah ran into Spike. And well…” Apple Bloom looked directly at her cousin. “Spike’s runnin away for some reason and Ah want ta know what that is. Ah want ta get it out of Spike why he’s runnin away and maybe…convince him not to.”

“And that convinced you to go to Phoenix because?” Apple Crisp asked.

“Because Ah needed a place where Ah could convince Spike ta come with me,” Apple Bloom told him. “Otherwise Spike would’ve left on his own and Ah couldn’t have helped him. So…Ah lied ta him and told him we were goin to Phoenix hopin it’d get him ta follow me. Ah…don’t really want ta go that far. Ah’m hopin if Ah can help him he’d come with me here.”

Apple Crisp continued to search Apple Bloom’s face. “Y’all really like that dragon, don’t you?” Apple Crisp asked.

Apple Bloom lowered her head to look into the cushions. “…Yeah. Ah like him a lot.”

“More than just as a good friend?” Apple Crips inquired further.

Apple Bloom looked up at him. “Yeah. Much more.”

Apple Crisp finally backed off his fierce look and instead gave her a calm knowing glance. “So love is guidin you on this journey then? Ah figured just as much durin this half week seein you around him, but Ah just wanted ta make sure. Well Ah’m just gonna tell you now, lyin ain’t exactly the way ta start a relationship.”

“Ah know but Ah needed ta do this,” Apple Bloom said in a much stronger voice.

“Ah know, and that’s why Ah’m lettin you two go,” Apple Crisp told her. “Ah can tell your hearts set out on helpin him, and Ah trust you. Just remember all your doin, and all your sacrificin, and who you’re hurtin ta help him.”

~

Early next morning Apple Crisp looked out of his garage door to see if there were any guards lining the streets. He did it casually, just by walking outside and taking a casual look around before going back inside. He only noticed one guard, who was walking along the road to the right, which uplifted him. He was hoping guards weren’t swarming the place yet.

Apple Crisp walked into his garage which didn’t actually have a carriage. It in fact it didn’t have any vehicle. Instead what was inside was a disorganized mess of paintings, portraits, wallpapers, backdrops, paint, paintbrushes, and everything else you could imagine a painter keeping around. He also had plenty of memorabilia that he told Apple Bloom and Spike he gives to a souvenir salespony called Midsummer to sell for him.

It also didn’t have Apple Bloom or Spike in it yet, but that was soon to change, because it was just as Apple Crips walked in when the door to the left opened up. If anybody happened to look into the garage at the time all they would notice walking in was a pegasus with a purple coat and an emerald green mane. He had a cutie mark that depicted a scroll with a pencil on it, and was wearing a pair of goggles.On his back was a long backpack. But of course Apple Crisp knew that it was actually a dragon walking like a quadruped in a pegasus costume, which was why he had such a strong look of concentration on his face.

“So Spike, how’s it goin?” Apple Crisp asked the drake disguised as a pegasus. “Ya walkin ok?”

“Yeah,” Spike grunted. He had to lower his voice a bit so the guards don’t recognize him by voice. “It’s a little difficult but I think I’ve got it down. Enough at least that I can look natural while walking through.”

“Well Ah guess that’s about as good as we’re gonna get it,” Apple Bloom said, her voice raised to a higher pitch than normal.

Apple Bloom, as became evident as she walked into the garage, had her fur colored gold and had her mane dyed bright pink. Her Cutie Mark was also covered by a red dress Apple Bloom was wearing. She had her two saddle bags on her side. She also had eye liner on her eyes, and she looked more ‘gussied up’ than she has ever been and probably ever will be.

“But as for me, Ah ain’t ever gonna get used ta lookin like this,” Apple Bloom continued. “Ah look way too prissy for mah own tastes.”

“No offence, but I agree,” Spike said. “You look much better normally.”

Apple Bloom blushed, which was luckily hidden by the cosmetics she put on her face.

“Alright kids, time for y’all ta head out,” Apple Crisp said.

“You aren’t coming?” Spike asked.

“Do you want me ta come with?” Apple Crisp asked. “‘Cause from what Ah understand you two would rather go on your own. Don’t worry about your costume, y’all can keep it if ya like, or if you’re even in the area you can give it back ta me.”

“Don’t count on that,” Spike mumbled under his breath.

Apple Bloom walked up to Apple Crisp and gave him a hug. “Thanks for the help cous’,” Apple Bloom said. “And thanks for getting us the supplies we need.”

“No problem,” Apple Crisp said. “That’s what family is for.”

Spike walked towards the entrance of the garage. “Come on Apple Bloom,” Spike said. “We’ve spent enough time here already. It’s time to hit the road.”

Apple Bloom walked up to Spike and nodded. After giving one last wave to Apple Crisp both Apple Bloom and Spike walked out of the garage. They went across the driveway, which was darkened even though the sun was out because of the mountains in the background, until they reached the main road.

Once they reached the main road they paused a bit because two members of the Royal Guard were coming towards them from the left. Apple Bloom and Spike nearly held their breath as the Royal Guard came closer to inspect them, hoping that the guards don’t see through their disguises. It was a few moments while the Royal Guards looked at them, a few long minutes that felt like it lasted as long as an hour, before the guard members finally spoke.

“You two, have you seen a purple dragon around anywhere?” the Royal Guard member on the left asked. Apple Bloom felt temporarily insulted that she wasn’t being asked about, but then she decided to count it as a blessing.

“No, we haven’t,” Spike said, adapting to his lower gruff voice. “Why?”

“We are searching for a purple dragon and we have reason to believe that he is somewhere in Applewood,” the guard on the right asked. “If you see anything, be sure to let us know.”

The two guards than walked off to the right allowing Spike and Apple Bloom to take a sigh of relief. “Good, they don’t recognize me,” Spike said.

“Alight then, we should be able ta get out of Los Pegasus soon than,” Apple Bloom said. She gave Spike a nod. “Let’s go Spike. To the San Palomino Desert.”

Author's Note:

Spike's pony costume BTW was an allusion to the pony Spike pictures that are all around the SpikeBloom dA group for some reason. I don't know why they're there, and I don't know who came up with it, but whatever. It give me something to reference here.