• Published 4th Jul 2013
  • 1,058 Views, 19 Comments

The Fabled Adventures of Trixie Lulamoon - Lastofakind



A Fable/MLP crossover staring the show pony Trixie as she is made into a hero... though a long and dangerous adventure.

  • ...
4
 19
 1,058

Training Begins

The gypsy's started to calm down as the night went on. They still played music as a few paper lanterns light the camp. Children ready for bed, the adults cleaned and started setting nightly shifts. Octavia brought the tea kettle over to the table as Trixie study her book. “To think that tomorrow we will be studying in sword play.” She said making a cup for the both of them.

“You excited?”

“Maybe a little; at first I was freaking out about everything but those two griffins seem to know what they’re doing. We are safe and that's all I need to know.”

“Just remember we're learning to fight because this is a dangerous place we find ourselves in.” Octavia didn't say anything in response. Taking a drink she closed her eyes as the band played a slower song. “Sorry I...”

“No your right we need to keep our guard up if we want to see home again.” The two sat in silents till Gilda joined them. A bottle of red wine and three mugs were brought over to them by a Diamond Dog.

“That meal was just as good as what we ate back in the castle.” Gilda said as she rubbed her belly. “I'm glad we're going to start working off some of that good eats.” This light the mood as they all shared a chuckle.

“I wanted to ask you before but why were you in the Griffin Kingdom; Visiting family or something? You even said something about staying there.” Trixie asked

“My father still lives there. I kind of had some bad things happen and I really didn't feel welcome in Equestria anymore so I was thinking of moving in with him.”

“What happen? The only thing I remember hearing about you was you got anger at a party.” Octavia added.

“Yeah well I'll admit I was a total jerk when I showed up. I was in Ponyville visiting a friend and this annoying cotton headed pony showed up. I just wanted her to go away! Like I said I was a total jerk and that so called friend decided she wanted nothing to do with me. Choosing a bunch of lame-o's over me. I... worked on my anger and tried to make up for before but she won’t even talk to me now. Then the few times I was in Ponyville after that I got the cold shoulder from everyone there!” At this point she poured herself a mug of wine and took a big gulp from it. “So I just said screw it! If that’s how they wanted it then I was going someplace I could be accepted.”

“But you came back?” Octavia asked with a raised brow

“I've lived in Cloudsdale for close to four years. I have a job and a few good friends still. It's a little hard to leave a place you call home.” The table grew quite as both Trixie and Octavia poured themselves a mug of wine as well. “What about you Trixie?”

“What do you mean?”

“You were looking for something to make you more powerful when you found me in those woods. What's the story behind that?”

Trixie kept her eye's to the table as she took a drink of wine. “Well before that I was on my way to get an amulet that would have done what I wanted. Then Theresa stopped me and told me that I could find something better if I took that trail leading to Ponyville.”

“Why do you want power so bad?”

“I...” She couldn't get herself to answer. She felt the shame run deep though her.

“You don't have to answer.” Octavia said to her.

“No it's only fair...” Trixie then took another drink from her wine. “I wanted to get back at Twilight Sparkle. I blame her for everything that went wrong and if I could just upstage her like she did to me then...” She went silent as she study the two, waiting for them to get upset at her.”

“The way her friends heckled you I wouldn't blame you.” Trixie blinked a few times in shock as Octavia spoke. “But at the same time revenge seems petty. Couldn't you have just started a new show?”

“Anytime I tried I would have been laughed and run out of town. Even when I would stop into town just for supply’s I would get the idea I wasn't welcome. I made my living off my act and it was all taken from me that night.”

“Well you did have quite the bloated ego from what I heard. The Great and Powerful Trixie!” Gilda mocked as she even held herself the way Trixie did.

“I was a show mare! I couldn't walk on stage with a name like The Normal and Average Trixie.” Octavia was in the middle of drinking when Trixie said this, causing her to spit a bit back into the mug from laughing. “Unlike you I don't have a homeland I could just move to, or a town that I called home. I'm a traveler meaning my wagon was home. That gone and the fact I my reputation is gone I can't even be a beggar on the streets.

“See that's the bull I'm sick of!” Gilda almost screamed. “You mess up and no matter how hard you try you can't get a hint of forgiveness.”

“That's not true! Look at Princess Luna or that dragon Spike that follows Twilight around.” Octavia exclaimed. “Spike came close to destroying the town once.”

“Yeah easy to be forgiven when you’re a princess or a friend with someone who kisses their ass!” Octavia was about to correct Gilda but found herself at a loss for words. With a sigh she downed the rest of her wine. Gilda grabbed the bottle too and empty what was left into her mug. “I'm going to get another bottle.”

After an hour three empty bottles sat on the table along with Octavia’s head as she spoke. “I-its crap! You guys got the crappiest of crap ends of the stick! Gilda you... you might have been a bit of a jerk but you... you’re good when you’re not a jerk...” Gilda just sat silently as she blankly looked at her mug. “Trixie you are a show mare! You are entertaining from what I saw of your show. Y- hick you had hecklers and you p-put them in their place like any show pony would.” Trixie wasn't sitting at the table but was lying in the grass next to it as she looked at the stars. “If I had some pony heckle me like that when I played I'd have to stop the show.”

“Why?” Trixie asked.

“My cello would be broken... over their head. Y-y-you even put that Rarity in her place! You know what she said about my tie once? Tacky!” At this point Octavia slide off the table and join Trixie on the ground. “Also like Rainbow Dash had any room to talk about egos!”

“Screw you Rainbow dash!” Gilda screamed out of the blue. “Stupid... stupid...dumb...ass” She then went back to watching her mug.

“Buck'em all!” Trixie screamed too as a few gypsies yelled for them to be quite from their wagons.

“Ah good to see you all are prepping for training tomorrow. I'm sure the hangovers will aid you well when learning how to handle a sword.” Dirk said in a sarcastic tone as he walked over to the table.

“I-I don't feel good...” Gilda said as she started to fall backwards. Dirk blinked a few times before looking up at the sky. The moons glow was enough to light up the woods.

“You three should get some sleep. Umm... guys?” Walking over to Trixie he poked her with his hoof to find she was fast asleep. With a sigh he went for help to get the three sleeping girls to bed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“A-am I the only one who hears drums?” Trixie asked as she stood next to the wagon of training weapons.

“I'm hearing bells.” Gilda added from the ground next to her along with Octavia.

“If thumping counts then yes... drums.” Octavia mumbled.

“Drink your canteens to help your hangovers. We don't plan on going easy on you three.” Dirk said with a chuckle as he looked over the different weapons the two male griffins brought in the wagon.

“If you three went to the same training camp as me I'd have you sweating out that alcohol with a ten mile run.” Harpy said in anger as he took a few practice dummies out. “We start when Lore gets here with the ammo so maybe we do have time for that.” The three females groaned as Harpy then started to line up a set of racks full of weapons and shields. “I think starting you off with weapons you'd see even townsfolk walk around with is a good start.”

“Why's that?” Trixie asked.

“First off because they don't bring attention to you, also their made for everyone to use.”

At this point Lore flew down with two boxes in his claws and a bag hanging from his neck. “This should cover it for two days of training. Bullets, bolts, arrows, and slugs.”

“Did you bring Augments?” Harpy asked.

“Nope, I think they should get to know a weapon first before augmenting one.”

“What is an augment?” Octavia interrupted.

“Kinda what I showed you yesterday. They add a... effect to your weapon.” Lore answered before picking up a sword. “Think of adding the sting of lightning to this blade.” He then grabbed a pistol. “Or a burst of fire to your shot.”

“Heck yeah, I want one of those!” Gilda exclaimed as she took a sword.

“Worry about learning how to use a normal blade before augmenting one. Besides you can't augment just any weapon. It's kind of weird to get into but for the most part a bullet is a bullet, a blade is a blade. Kills like any other.” Harpy added. “Now take a blade and let’s get to training.” The three girls took a sword from the racks. Both Trixie and Octavia took the handles in their mouths as Gilda took hers in her talons. “I guessed as much. I'll have Dirk take you two to the side. Gilda I'm going to be working with you. You had any kind of weapon training at all?”

“My dad’s military so I learned a thing or two over the summer's I stayed with him.”

As Harpy took Gilda over to the dummy's he set up before Dirk took both mares to the side. “Try taking the blade in your forehoove. I know holding it in your mouth feels more natural but this way you can have more range and control. After a while we can go back to holding it in your mouth. This way I can maybe show you how to dual or even triple wield.”

“What?” both mares asked before he took a small blade in both hooves and a third in his mouth as he stood on his back legs.

“If's a liffle hard af fist buf I finks you can do if.” He then put the three blade back in there sheaths. “But for now let’s stick to basics. Let me see you on your hind legs.” No sooner did he say this both mares were standing strength up. Neither of them showed any difficulty with it. “That's... way better than I thought you'd be at this.”

“Well we are both show mares.” Trixie started with a chuckle. “Standing like this comes natural.”

“Okay try taking hold of your blades.” He was surprised as again both showed little struggle to do so. “Let me guess; comes with the act?”

“I hold a cello and bow for a living.” Octavia said in a chuckle

“Was there ever any doubt?” Trixie said in a cocky tone.

“You're making my job easy here. How's Gilda do-”

Dirk was cut off as he watched Gilda stab a sword right though the neck of a dummy griffin. She tried to pull it out only to find it stuck. “Um...” She then backed away.

“To be fair if I watched someone stab a sword though my buddies throat hard enough to get it stuck I doubt I'm going to wanna fight them anymore.” Lore joked.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The camp was quieting down for the night Trixie kept practicing. She hit the dummy with the same drills she learn that morning as Gilda walked up.

“Soon you will come to make choices that will affect this world greatly. Far more then you will even understand at the time.”

“You know training is done for the day right?”

“But that strong will of yours should pull you through.”

“Tomorrow we're going to learn how to shoot those rifles and pistols. I've fired a bow and arrow and a crossbow with my dad but those things... gezz...”

“As much as I want to give you the answers you alone must find them. Only then will you grow into the hero I can see you as...”

“A hero...”

“Dirk is on fire, I lost all my feathers, and Octavia is pregnant.”

“W-what?”

“Finally! I've been talking to you and you’re lost in whatever you’re doing here.”

“I just want to make sure I got this down.”

“Well for one you’re losing a lot of strength in your blows by not following though. When you’re hitting it try cutting like you’re going to go right though.”

Trixie followed her advice as she noticed more power in her strikes. “Thank you for the advice.”

“Come on! Relax and come back to camp.”

“Unlike you my father wasn't in the military and trained me over the summers. I need to make sure I can hold my own!”

Gilda watched Trixie for a while as it seemed she gave up on technique and was just smacking the dummy out of anger. “The only reason I even trained with my dad was because he wanted me to join and follow in his footsteps.”

“Is that another reason you wanted to go to the Griffin Kingdom; join the military and become a guard?” Trixie asked as Gilda took the sword from her and took place in front of the dummy. “No, I told you I was going to move there because I couldn't shake being looked at as some monster.” She then started attacking the dummy with the same drills. “I guess if I moved in with my dad then I would have...”

“You don't sound happy about doing that.”

“I'm not! I enjoyed the training and time with my dad but I'm not into the idea of commenting to that kind of life. I mean it takes a special kind of griffin to do what he does.” At this point Gilda stop doing drills as she stabbed the dummy and left the sword in it.

“You defiantly have the skill.”

“My dad said if he was going to teach me, he would teach me right. Look you said you want to hold your own. But we are going to be working together so don't stress too much. We have your back.” Trixie was at a loss for words as the griffin then started for the camp. “Let's get back before dark. Dirk and Octavia might get worried.”

Hidden in the woods four figures watched from the tree line as the two went back up the hill.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The sun was barely up when the girls were woken for training. Harpy set up twelve targets out in the field, each a different color and distance. “I know it seems we are rushing this training but the camp moves tomorrow. Getting the basics for now should be enough. Once we get closer to the village we can get into more advance stuff.” He then went to the table with four pistols and rifles set on it. “Today I'm going to see how you handle the basic break pistol and rifles used by most folks.”

“Break?” Trixie asked. “That's not a very reassuring name.”

“Don't let the name fool you. Its name comes from how you load it.” Picking up a pistol he hit a lever on the top that as the name suggested broke open the pistol by a hinge.” This weapon replaced black powder weapons and equaled the use of firearms for ponies by how easy it is to load. They come in single and double barrels.” He then took a bullet off the table and loaded it as he closed the pistol. Aiming down range he then fired at one of the targets, hitting it in the middle of the bulls-eye. “They have a medium range and descent stopping power. Now for you ponies you’re going to need a brace.” He then had Dirk come over as he then took a metal and leather device and strapped it to his right front leg. The brace had three small claws on it. As Dirk held it to the pistol he bent his forehoof in a way to make the three claws grip around the stock of the weapon. He then aimed the pistol at a target and fired to hit close to the edge of the target.”

“Not bad for a nights practice. I hit paper at least.” He commented before making the brace move the pistol higher up his arm and flipping it so he could put his hoof down and not have the barrel go into the earth. “Just a fare warning but the brace takes a little getting use to. That's why we are starting so early today. It took me a couple of hours of Lore teaching me.”

“Why can't I just use my magic to aim it?” Trixie asked.

“You're going to have to break relaying on your magic in combat. You lose ability of your magic that brace is what’s going to save you. Also there are those who will aim just for your horn to make sure you can't use magic.” Trixie gulped at Harpy's words. “I have braces for both you mare and a holster for Gilda.”

“What about the rifles, we need the brace for those too?”

“No, just be able to stand and aim for the most part. The brace can make it easier though. That's why we are starting with pistols so you can get comfortable with it.”

Dirk showed the two mares how to equip the brace so training could start.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Trixie was joined on the top of the hill with Gilda and Octavia as they watched the sunset. Both mares still wore the braces as Gilda had her shoulder holster. “Did you hit anything?” She asked the two. “I think I would be lucky enough to hit the side of a barn... even if I was standing in it.”

“Harpy said he'll have lore bring crossbows till we learn to use the pistols and rifles better.” Octavia said with a sigh.

“I know I'm a better aim with one of those. The recoil on those is ridicules.” Gilda commented.

Down below the men started to move the wagon of weapons back to the camp. Both Lore and Harpy pulled as Dirk help to load the target. “Even Dirk had a hard time. I hope we can grow one of those crystals soon.” Trixie then started back to camp. “I've been putting off studying my magic for this new training. I'll be back in the wagon if anyone needs me.”

She took her time getting back to the wagon to find Theresa was gone. She had to admit she was impressed by her wagon and thankful Theresa was letting them stay in it. Unrolling her sleeping bag she took her book out of the saddle bag to find her gem gone. Panicking she started to look though the wagon. Taking time to clam herself she spotted a blue light outside the window. Grabbing the saddle bag she put the brace in and headed outside as the light went deeper into the woods. Chasing after it she stopped as Theresa called to her.

“It's not safe to go alone hero.”

“My mother's gem is floating away!” Looking over at the wagon of training weapons she levitated a pistol, sword and a small bag of ammo. “There is no need to endanger the others. I'm getting my gem back before it's lost.”

Theresa only shook her head as Trixie went after the light. “The hard way it is then.”

Author's Note:

Not a lot to say for now...

I will bump this fic to mature next chapter though for reasons I can't give just yet!

Also if someone can let me know if the links a re working and if not how to get them to work. Like I said i used the FAQ but yet to see anything change.

Oh and yes there is three different spellings of griffin. MLP spells it griffion... I like griffin because that spelling bugs me less... so blah