• Published 7th Jul 2013
  • 657 Views, 22 Comments

Battle Ready: Envy - D101 Reviews



After the defeat of Wrath, the Mane Six take some time off to relax. For Battle Ready however, there's no rest for the wicked as the Sin, Envy, is about to unleash her power on Equestria. The battle with Wrath may be over, but the war rages on.

  • ...
4
 22
 657

Chapter Two: Grim Tidings

Chapter Two: Grim Tidings

Battle had learnt many things in his training. His military skills were but one of them and considering the fact that his Cutie Mark meant he was naturally adept in the art of warfare, whatever branch it was, his training in that field was less intensive. Among other things he learnt world and Warhorse history, politics, geography, foreign languages, ballroom dancing (to his eternal shame something he was surprisingly adept at), how to read and speak the ancient tongue of Warhorse and astrology.

In his astrological studies he had learnt to read the stars to tell what time of year. What month it was.

If he was reading the constellations right, he was late. He had missed his diplomatic summit with Twilight. He sighed. He had hoped that this expedition would have been over much sooner, hoped he would have returned in time. But now Twilight was most likely listening to Tactical's ridiculous opinions, and he was stuck out here in the cold.

Battle let his head fall down onto his chest and rubbed one eye. He could only imagine how Twilight felt. Not only was he late, but she was being told by Tactical of all ponies...

He shook his head as he walked through the streets of Legion, his entourage following behind. They were tired and weary, but he could tell they were pleased to be back home. He had to admit it though that it did feel good to be back after the time they had spent in the north inside Wrath's tomb. It seemed just yesterday that he had walked up this street towards the military zone, with but a group of eight ponies beside him as he returned to Warhorse after his time in Equestria.

He still smiled at the memory of Tactical's face upon seeing him. It was an eternal source of happiness to him.

The few people who were still on the streets cleared out of Battle's way as he and the soldiers drew nearer. Even those who had clearly had a bit too much mead this evening, stumbled out of their path.

The gates to the military zone appeared in the distance. A cry went out and the gates quickly swung open as Battle approached. He stepped through and his group followed. The gates swung shut behind them and Battle turned to his soldiers.

"Dismissed!" he cried, smiling slightly. "Get some sleep you dog-eared bastards."

There was a sigh of relief as the Generals took charge of their respective soldiers. Battle turned on his heel and walked swiftly up to the tower of Equitem, taking the steps to the great bronze doors three at a time. They swung open to his touch as he swept inside. His father's sword-hand, a stallion by the name of Guard Post, walked up to his side as Battle strode through the tower's entrance hall.

"Welcome back to Legion Commander," Post said in his usual, clipped manner. "I trust and hope your expedition proved useful."

"I wish to speak with my father," Battle said quickly. "As soon as possible Guard, if not sooner."

"Where shall I say you will be meeting him?" Post asked.

"The usual chamber," Battle replied. "You know what my father likes. Tell him I shall meet him there in approximately half an hour. I need to make myself presentable."

"Of course Commander," Post said as they began up the long steps of the tower. Post paused as they began up different staircases. "Commander?"

"Yes?" Battle said, looking at Post expectantly.

"Should I awaken your sister as well?" Post asked tentatively. Battle bit his lip.

"I suppose... yes. This matter will concern even her... eventually." Battle muttered the last under his breath as he began taking the steps up the tower two at a time. He knew that, given the sheer size of the tower, there were incantations carved into the very marble, the stairs would take him only to the floor her wanted to be on. It was very old and complex magic that cut down vertical distances, something for which Battle could both love and loathe. Love in that it saved Battle time and loathe in that Battle had once tried to climb all the real stairs from top to bottom as a training exercise. In order for that to actually happen, Battle had had to disable the spells on an entire staircase, one that not many ponies used. That had nearly blown his head off.

He reached his chambers quickly and closed the doors swiftly behind him. He didn't use his room in the tower that often, preferring to sleep in the barracks with his troops. He was a soldier first and a Prince second in his own opinion. Still, he needed to use it now.

Battle pealed off her armour and set it on the mannequin in the corner. He stepped through a corned behind his bed and lit the candles with a quick glow from his horn. A few moments later Battle had a bath filled with steamy water. Battle closed the bathroom door behind him and stripped off his underclothes before sliding into the water.


The fire in the meeting chamber was roaring by the time Battle reached it, freshly washed and in clean clothes. His father and sister were already there. Veteran Centurian had taken his usual position in his favourite armchair, looking at the blazing flames in the grate. Tactical was slumped over a table, breathing lightly, clearly tired. She looked up blearily as Battle entered and she fixed him with a look of undisguised contempt.

"Back at last I see," she grumbled, pushing herself into a sitting position.

Veteran gave a growl and Tactical flinched. The King turned to face Battle in his chair, his face breaking into a slight smile.

"Hello my son," Veteran said.

"Father," Battle replied with respect, saluting his father.

"I trust your expedition yielded the results you were hoping for?"

Battle bit his lip and walked to the fire, taking his usual stance by leaning against it. He closed his eyes, remembering the time he had been told about Wrath's escape. It had been like being punched in the gut by an iron clad fist. But this? Being the bearer of bad news? It was like someone had that same iron coated hand clamped onto his heart. It was a thousand times worse.

"You did find how Wrath escaped?" Veteran prompted. Battle took a breath, inhaling smoke laced air from the fire. It calmed him slightly, put his mind back into its battle ready state.

"In a manner of speaking father," Battle muttered. Veteran frowned and Tactical sat upright, a strange look crossing her face. If either stallion had taken the time to look at her, they would have seen nervousness in her face. When she spoke however, she was quite calm.

"What does that mean exactly?" she asked.

"A decent question for once my girl," Veteran praised. "What do you mean my son?"

"Wrath didn't escape father," Battle said simply. Veteran opened his mouth to argue the contrary but Battle continued hastily, "He didn't escape. He was released."

The colour drained from Veteran's face.

"What?" he breathed.

Battle held out the ring Sky had discovered by the entrance to Wrath's tomb. Veteran got to his feet and picked the ring from Battle's hand. He examined it closely, before looking at Battle.

"Cultoribus de Peccatis," he said.

"I believe so," Battle confirmed.

"I don't believe this," Veteran muttered. "This secret cult has never been a threat before. How? How did they get their hands on such magic that they released Wrath?"

"They were smart too father," Battle said. "They waited for the Zenith of Wrath before they opened his tomb."

"How do we know Wrath didn't simply break free from his bonds?" Tactical asked. "I mean the enchantments are ancient."

"Ancient yes, but also still riddled with power," Veteran explained. "They still bind true even to this day. No the power of the Sins cannot break those spells from within. Battle is correct... someone must have let Wrath out."

Tactical bit her lip as Veteran handed Battle the ring back.

"We must find who leads this society and stop them," Veteran muttered.

"Father I believe they may already be planning to move again," Battle said. "They already knew where Wrath was buried. Who's to say they don't know where the other tombs are?"

"You're being paranoid," Tactical sighed.

"There is no such thing as paranoia when dealing with the Sins," Veteran replied. "But while you may be correct my son, we still have yet to find the next tomb of the Sins ourselves, and we're rapidly approaching the Zenith of Envy."

"Not strictly true father," Battle replied. Veteran looked at him sharply, a coy smile on his face.

"You know something." It wasn't a question.

Battle turned to the window. He walked to it and looked up into the starry sky.

"I know where the Kingdom of Envy is," Battle said hesitantly. "The location of the tomb itself eludes me but-"

"It matters not," Veteran said, smiling broadly. "We have but a single land to search now. You have narrowed our field considerably Battle."

"Where is the Kingdom of Envy then Battle?" Tactical asked.

Battle paused again before speaking. "I believe... it is Equestria."

Tactical frowned. "You think the Kingdom of Envy is in Equestria?"

"No I don't think the Kingdom of Envy is in Equestria, I know the Kingdom of Envy is Equestria," Battle corrected.

Veteran nodded slowly. "I see. How soon until we enter the Zenith of Envy?"

Battle's eyes scanned the stars quickly. Given the intricate patterns of stars that correlated to the time of year, it took Battle a moment to gather the necessary answer for his father.

"Twelve days," Battle said with dread turning to face Veteran. "At best we have thirteen, but it's only an estimate."

Veteran bit his lip. He sat in his chair and thought for a few moments before turning to Battle.

"I shall send foreword to Celestia that we will be supplying troops to consolidate our forces in preparation for Envy's arrival," he said. "You take as many ponies as you deem necessary with you and prepare a defence."

"Yes sir," Battle said, snapping to attention. Veteran seemed to struggle with some internal decision.

"Take your sister with you," he said at last.

Battle's eye twitched.

"May I ask why?" Battle asked stiffly.

"The thought had also crossed my mind," Tactical muttered.

"If Envy does escape it cane be fairly certain she will come here," Veteran replied. "The only reason Wrath didn't come to us was that we went out to meet him the first time, and the second-"

"He was after me," Battle supplied.

"Exactly," Veteran acknowledged. "If Envy does come for Legion I must know that you are safe, and that you will live to fight on."

Battle's eyes flickered to Tactical before sighing.

"As you command my King," Battle sighed. Veteran smiled warmly at Battle, gave a curt nod to Tactical and limped out of the room. Tactical sat upright and scowled at Battle.

"How long does the Zenith last?" Tactical snapped. "I need to know how long I must put up with Equestrian society."

"In which case I will not tell you," Battle retorted. "If you'll excuse me, I have an army to repair."

"Hold it!" Tactical called. "Before you go anywhere, your pen-friend gave me something addressed to you while I was in Equestria, wasting everypony's time."

She held out a scroll which Battle took from her. He unfurled the scroll and saw Twilight's familiar, slender handwriting. He smiled slightly as he began to read.

'Dear Prince Battle Ready of Warhorse,
I, Princess Twilight Sparkle of Equestria, invite you to the Grand Galloping Gala. The Gala is a traditional royal ball that is attended by all classes of ponies, and is a traditional celebration of the construction of out most wonderful capital city of Canterlot. The Gala is held, as you can most probably tell, is held in the city which it celebrates, Canterlot, on the date of'

Battle had to peer in close to the paper to see the smudged date.

'This year in the spirit of friendship, Princess Celestia has allowed for nobilities from other nations to attend the Gala, and so I have extended my invitation out to you. Please find enclosed your golden entry ticket, without which, you will be unable to enter the Gala. I hope you will grace us with your presence.

Yours, Princess Twilight Sparkle

P.S. Please pleas please be there!'

Battle chuckled at Twilight's break in formality in the post script but took the ticket which had been at the bottom of the scroll and rolled up the parchment. By the time that was done, his smile was gone. He needed to get an army ready. He was setting out tomorrow.