• Published 1st Jul 2013
  • 1,643 Views, 38 Comments

Those Wings Will Take You Up - Touch the Sky



Scootaloo has always wanted to fly. So one night, she makes a wish upon a shooting star- and everything changes. But there is one particular pegasus who isn't too pleased about the results of the wish...

  • ...
1
 38
 1,643

A Small Rainbow

*Rainbow Dash POV*

I yawned,stretching out every muscle as I did every morning when I woke up. But today, it felt different. My limbs felt too short, my muscles weak, and then, to my horror, I realised that I could no longer sense every feather on my powerful wings as I usually could. Something was badly wrong.

I pushed the covers away forcefully and stared around me. Everything was rather blurred, but it definitely wasn't my room. The walls, instead of being formed from fluffy cloud, were plastered and solid. Pictures- photographs of two fillies, one grey and one pink, were hanging on every wall. The two fillies smiled sweetly at me from every surface.
Across the room there was a picture of Applejack's sister, Rarity's sister and the little orange filly who seemed to be my biggest fan... Scootaloo, I remembered. This picture had a couple of darts sticking out of it, as well as each of the fillies having had crude moustaches scribbled onto their faces.

I got up from the bed, which was most certainly not a cloud- one of the solid wood-and-mattress structures which earth ponies and unicorns tended to sleep on. The bedspread was silky and smooth, pale blue in colour. Looking around the room, I could see it was not at all cluttered, but instead neat and organised. But worst of all, everything was sparkly. The photo frames, curtains and trinkets were either covered with or made of sequins. It offended the eyes of a pony like me.

Remembering that I couldn't feel my wings, I walked over to a mirror on the wall, but since everything was blurry I tripped and fell over with a thud.
"Silver, honey, is that you?" called a musical voice from downstairs. It was the voice of a mare, but I had no idea who she was or why she'd called me Silver.
I didn't answer, just lying frozen on the ground. The voice called again, sounding more anxious, and then I heard hoofsteps coming towards the door. Panicked, I scrambled to my hooves and faced the door.

A white mare with a pale blue mane opened the door and looked at me with concern in her purple eyes. "Silver, did you trip? You're not hurt, are you?" She seemed really worried now. She strode over, her eyes sweeping my body as if she was looking for something. When she didn't find it, she sighed with relief.

"Well no wonder you tripped. You weren't wearing your glasses. Here they are!" I felt a hoof pushing something over my eyes, and then I could see much better. I saw the mare looking down at me and smiling. "There you are. Now get ready for school, honey. Diamond will be over soon. You overslept."

She left me alone in the room. Now I could see, I made my way over to the mirror without any more trips.
I was horrified by what I saw. In the mirror I saw a grey earth pony filly (an earth pony! No wings!) with a pale grey mane and lilac eyes, complete with large blue glasses with thick lenses. The filly blinked back at me with a horrified expression on her face.

I recognised the grey filly from the photos scattered around the room. Examining my flank, I saw an ornate silver spoon there. I snorted derisively as I wondered what this filly's talent was.
The filly seemed familiar, maybe I'd seen her as I flew over town a few times. Though the reason I now occupied her body was far beyond me. I supposed I'd have to consider this later, as I heard the mare- supposedly the filly's mother- trilling from downstairs,

"Silver! Diamond is here!"
I skittered out onto the hallway and leaped out over the top step, only to realise in mid-air that I was without my wings. I hit the stairs halfway down and slid the rest of the way. Remarkably, though, I had no bruises- I wondered if being an earth pony made you hardier.
At the sound, the mare appeared again.
"Did you trip, Silver? Come here and let me check if you're hurt..."

Irritated, I pulled away from her hooves and said crossly, "I'm fine." My voice was high, with a small hint of scorn I hadn't intentionally put there. The mare withdrew, looking worried, but didn't try to check me again. But as I walked to the door to let in this 'Diamond' I could feel her running her eyes over me. I wondered why this mother was being so protective; surely all foals got a few bumps and scrapes as they grew up.

I pulled the door open to see the pink filly from all the pictures in 'my' room. A glittery, stupid-looking tiara rested on her purple and white mane, matching her cutie mark. She looked at me oddly.
"Silver, where's your necklace? And your plait? You don't usually wear your mane down..."
"Uh... I thought I'd try a different style today." I stammered.
Diamond seemed to shrug this off. She looked at me with bright blue eyes. "Um... can I come in?"

I realised I was blocking the door and quickly stepped aside. Diamond walked in. "Hi, Sitting Pretty!"
"Hello, Diamond Tiara." answered the mare. "How is your father today?"
"Oh, he's well. In fact, he has a big business meeting today..." I zoned out as the two continued to chatter. I was thinking about my predicament and how I could get myself out of it.

Eventually, Sitting Pretty, as she was apparently called, looked up at a clock and gasped. "Girls, you're going to be late for school! You'd better get going. Here's your lunch, Silver Spoon." She gently strapped some saddlebags over my back. They were grey, adorned with (bleh) sequins and clasps the shape of spoons. I followed Diamond Tiara out of the door as Sitting Pretty waved us off.

I walked quietly next to Diamond, still feeling panicky about my lack of wings and where my own body was now. But then Diamond interrupted my thoughts, prodding me with a hoof and stopping me in my tracks.
She pointed with a hoof at three fillies walking ahead of us. I recognised Applebloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo. Applebloom and Sweetie Belle appeared to be chatting quite amiably, but something was up with Scootaloo; she was staring down at her hooves.

As we approached, Scootaloo looked up. Her purple eyes met mine and she froze.
I stopped too, wondering what was wrong with Scootaloo. But Diamond Tiara kept walking, and only stopped when she was blocking the path of all three fillies. She looked round, realising I wasn't with her, and called sharply,
"Silver Spoon!"
There was such a commanding tone in that voice that I quickly scurried forwards to stand beside her.

"So, blank flanks." drawled Diamond in a snooty tone."Tried getting your cutie mark in being total dweebs yet?"
I felt her nudge me, and realised she fully expected me to agree with her. I did nothing, but Diamond Tiara didn't seem bothered. She took a few steps forward. "Not having a cutie mark is so last year. It's been, like, a year since Silver Spoon got hers, and I got mine a few months ago. Right, Silver Spoon? Bump, bump..."
She started doing something with her hooves, stretching them out to me, but I just stood looking at her, utterly bemused.

Diamond lowered her hooves and sniffed as if she didn't care. She began walking, and I followed. As we walked, Diamond turned her head and threw a last sniggering cry of, "Blank flanks!" over her shoulder.
She said nothing for the rest of the walk, but when we got to the school, she turned on me.
"Silver Spoon, what is with you today? You made me look stupid by not doing our special hoofshake, and you've hardly spoken all day. What's..."

I was distracted by a rainbow trail zooming over town towards us. As it grew closer, I recognised my own body, soaring along with an ecstatic grin on its face.
Suddenly something hit my face, hard. I fell back on my haunches, and snapped back to reality to see Diamond Tiara glaring at me her hoof raised.
"Awake now?" she snarled.

I didn't even think. Furious, I launched myself forwards, sending her sprawling. Her stupid tiara went flying as we rolled across the playground. I felt it slice my shoulder , but I was so caught up in the battle that I didn't even feel the pain. Screams and shouts filled my ears as we tumbled over and over, but all that filled my head was fury. I bit and punched at the other filly, only stopping as we crashed into the fence and fell apart. I sprung instantly to my hooves, ready to counter the retaliation I was sure was coming. Instead, Diamond Tiara just screamed,
"Miss Cheerileeeee!"

Cheerilee came cantering out of the school, and our audience parted to let her through. She looked disapprovingly at us both, but then froze, her eyes on my shoulder.
"Silver Spoon, you're bleeding."
I looked down at my shoulder. It was a cut, not incredibly deep, but deeper than just a scratch. I shrugged. I'd had worse.
But Cheerilee didn't care. She looked slightly shocked at my shrug, then hustled me into the school, leaving Diamond Tiara to wail.

Looking back, I saw with some satisfaction that the pink filly was now sporting a livid black eye and several bite marks and bruises. She looked a lot worse than me. Yet Cheerilee was more bothered about me than about her. I couldn't figure it out.

Cheerilee left me in the sick bay after plastering the cut, telling me she was going to send a message to my mother. I sat absently there on the bench, turning as I heard hooves behind me.
It was Scootaloo. I smiled. "Hey. Scootaloo, right?"
But Scootaloo recoiled. "Who are you?"
"Er- Silver Spoon." I said.
"No, who are you really. Because I'm Silver Spoon."
"You're Silver Spoon?" I asked.

"Yes. So, are you Scootaloo? Have we swapped bodies?"
"No, I'm not Scootaloo. I'm Rainbow Dash."
"Oh. Then I'm very sorry you've ended up in my body, though I can't say I miss everypony fussing over me all the time."
"Oh yeah, I was wondering about that. Why do they fuss over me- er, you, so much?"

Scootaloo- or Silver Spoon- crouched down miserably. "Well, if you're going to live in my body until we can sort this out, you should know. You see- I'm a haemophiliac."
"A what? I'm an athlete, not a scientist."
"A haemophiliac. It means my blood doesn't clot. So if I cut myself-"
"You bleed to death?" I said, appalled.

She nodded. I suddenly felt really guilty.
"Oh, horsefeathers. So I attacked your best friend and possibly killed you? I'm not sure what to say... I'm so sorry, I guess."
Silver Spoon shook her head. "It's okay. She isn't my best friend any more anyway; now I've been on the receiving end of her teasing I know how horrid it is. I think maybe, if I ever get my body back, I'll hang out with Sweetie Belle and Applebloom. They've been nice to me all day- even though they think I'm Scootaloo, I don't think they'd be mean like Diamond Tiara."

"But I thought you hated them. The picture in your room, with the darts and moustaches..."
"Oh- well, Diamond had a lot to do with that."
"Okay." I didn't quite know what to say. The plaster was now saturated with blood, and drops of Silver Spoon's life were staining my hoof which held it in place. "Um, so if this keeps bleeding, will you die? Is there a way to stop it bleeding?"
"Mom keeps platelet injections, but she has to get here first."

"So... you seem awfully relaxed about this."
"I know. I've thought about dying so many times before that it just doesn't faze me any more. Though I am a little concerned since technically, you're the one who's dying."

There was an awkward pause. Then, blood running down my leg, I said, "So do you think Scootaloo has my body now?"
"Probably, unless there's another pony involved."
Everything was quiet. My vision was starting to dim, and after a few more minutes I blacked out.

Author's Note:

In your face, DT.

Haha! Plot twist with Silver Spoon, just to make this original.

I have been waiting a very long time for someone to point out that haemophilia only occurs in males because it's to do with the Y chromosome. Nobody has. In case you can't tell, I did only minor research on the subject, and while I'm quite knowledgeable now I have no intention of changing the whole concept of the story. I apologise for not doing enough research, and I feel quite silly about it now. :twilightblush: