• Published 1st Jul 2013
  • 1,642 Views, 38 Comments

Those Wings Will Take You Up - Touch the Sky



Scootaloo has always wanted to fly. So one night, she makes a wish upon a shooting star- and everything changes. But there is one particular pegasus who isn't too pleased about the results of the wish...

  • ...
1
 38
 1,642

Wish On A Star

I struggled to my hooves, spitting out dust. My wings-so pitifully small- had failed me again.
"You okay down there, Scootaloo?"
I looked up to see a pair of bright green eyes peering over the edge of the verge at me. I huffed and started to scale the slope, my small orange hooves digging into the clay.
Sweetie Belle helped me over the top of the verge, eyeing me with concern as I flexed my wings, wincing at their soreness. They were stiff and covered with dust, not to mention totally useless for flight.

"Don't ya think we should call it a day?" This was Applebloom, standing a few feet away and scuffing the ground with a yellow hoof. "Ya've tried ten times already, and ya ain't gettin' anywhere."
Defiantly, I retorted, "I can't just give up. I'm a pegasus. We're meant to fly. And how will I ever be like Rainbow Dash if I can't fly?"

Applebloom looked awkward. "Ah just think ya're gonna get yerself hurt if you keep throwing yerself off of cliffs. Maybe you should ask Rainbow Dash to help ya. I'm sure she'd do it."
"No! Rainbow Dash didn't need any help to fly, and neither do I!"
"But Scootaloo... you've been trying for a month now, and you still aren't getting anywhere. Don't you think you should get someone to teach you- if not Rainbow Dash, then some other pegasus?"

I hung my head. "I know I haven't been getting anywhere... but I don't know what else to do. I know I can do it- I just have to keep trying." I turned back to the verge and opened my wings, shaking the dust off them. "Just one more try."

I raced towards the cliff, my hooves pounding against the ground. Then there was a lurch as the ground vanished and I was in midair. I stretched my wings as far as they would go, then began to beat them, Up. Down. Up. Down. But still I was falling, falling... The bottom of the ditch raced up to meet me and I hit the ground with a thud.

I was subdued on the way home. Sweetie Belle and Applebloom trotted ahead of me, discussing ideas for getting cutie marks, but I couldn't bring myself to join in. We parted ways on the outskirts of town, and I walked home with my head drooping.

Suddenly I felt a gust of wind hit me, and then a prismatic blur skidded to a halt beside me.
"Hey, kid." The voice was self-assured, confident and friendly, and oh so cool. I turned my head and Rainbow Dash was standing there, scrutinizing me with her bright magenta eyes. Her mane was slightly windswept, her wings open. She was the image of awesomeness, and everything I wished I could be.

"Why so glum?" asked Rainbow, tilting her head to one side. I sighed. "It's nothing, Rainbow Dash." I just couldn't tell her- she might think it was uncool that I couldn't fly, and then she'd never want to talk to me again.
"Oh- well, if you ever need to talk, I'm always around. Guess I'll see you later then, kid." With that, she was gone in a flurry of feathers. Next I saw her, she was a blur of rainbow colours streaking over the roofs. Then she was out of sight.

I kept walking, and soon I reached home. I shoved the door open, and grunted a half-hearted greeting to my parents. They didn't respond- they were both sitting at the table, surrounded by piles of paperwork. As I passed, my mother twitched, her curled pink mane bouncing slightly as she shook her yellow head and tutted at the paper she held before her eyes. Across the table, my father wiped sweat off his red coat, his dark blue tail brushing the floor as he shifted on his chair, flaring his wings before folding them again. Neither cast me a single glance.
I dragged myself upstairs and collapsed on my bed. All my attempts at flying had worn me out, and I fell asleep almost instantly.

I woke up what must have been many hours later. It was dark outside. I got out of bed and trotted to the window. Shoving the window open, I gazed up at the stars, idly wondering whether I'd ever be able to fly beneath them. Then, out of nowhere, a flash of light sped across the sky. It was a shooting star! Seconds later it was gone, but I still closed my eyes and, concentrating hard, made a deep and fervent wish.

"I wish I could fly."
The five words, whispered into the night air, were gone as quickly as the star they'd been wished on. But somehow, there was a new electricity, some kind of magical feel in the air as I trotted back to bed.

I woke up, and the first thing which I felt was an odd sense of strength. I stretched, and felt powerful muscles flexing and then winced as I heard several of them snapping. Opening my eyes, I blinked away the sleep, yawned and peered around me. Then I bolted upright. I was in the wrong room! The walls were all white, and Wonderbolt posters and paraphernalia adorned every surface. Stepping cautiously off the bed, I realised it was a Wonderbolt blanket which lay scrunched up at the bottom of the...
Cloud?

I had been lying on a cloud. In the wrong room. I reached out a hoof to poke the cloud- and recoiled. My hoof was blue. A lovely, cyan blue. The same colour as Rainbow Dash.
Rainbow Dash.

I raced over to a mirror on the adjacent wall. Rainbow Dash stared back at me. I was her, from the spectrum-coloured (slightly scruffy) mane to the colourful lightning-bolt cutie mark, right to the tips of her blue feathered wings.
Her wings. Even though I knew I should be confused, maybe even in a state of panic, I felt a sudden excitement. Was it possible that, with these wings, I could fly?

But then something occurred to me. If I was Rainbow Dash, then was Rainbow Dash me? Was she waking up right now in my small orange body, in my bed, unaware of the swap?
I thought about it, and yet, despite my worry for Rainbow Dash, this was a dream come true. I wasn't just like Rainbow Dash, I was her.
"Aw, yeah!" I declared, grinning at myself in the mirror and flaring my new wings.

Author's Note:

Might be a bit unoriginal, but personally I haven't seen a Scootaloo/Rainbow Dash body swap fic yet. But then again, I haven't been looking.

This should be fun for me to write. Please tell me what you think so far!

Future chapters will be longer, I promise, but this is just to start me off.