• Published 2nd Jul 2013
  • 2,931 Views, 71 Comments

The Conversion Bureau: Dominance - Barrobroadcaster



A tense peace between Earth and Equestria is established as human and pony society is slowly integrated. But can two vastly different species really coexist or is it only a matter of time before one dominates the other?

  • ...
31
 71
 2,931

First Time

"Aliens," a voice said, somewhere to the front of the room, loud enough for everyone to hear. A few students turned to the green mare sitting in the center of the room.

"Don't even know why they let your kind in this school," a male student looking at the pony said. The green mare ignored him.

"Rodger, don't mess around," Dave told the young man. "It's friggin Tuesday, man. Class just started."

The young man, Rodger, looked back at Dave and smiled defensively. "What? I'm just saying hi to the new kid. Or should I say, the new class pet?" The man got up from his seat, all eyes were on him including Nathan's. He walked towards the green pony's desk.

"That's right," he said, walking towards her. "That's all you are, isn't it? You're not human any more. You're one of them now." A few other students got up. Some backed away from the advancing student, others watched cautiously still at their desks.

"What the hell is your problem?" the green pony asked as he approached her desk. She started to get up.

The young man threw grabbed the pony's textbooks off the desk and pushed them to the floor.

Nathan just watched the confrontation. He had his own predicament to deal with. With the teacher gone, how would it look if he just walked out?

"Rodger, for fuck's sake, it's Tuesday!" Dave shouted.

"I'm leaving," the mare announced, get up from her desk and walking out. She remained on two legs as she passed the young man accosting her and ignored her books on the ground.

"And where do you think you're going?" the young man asked. He quickly walked through the desk and grabbed the green pony by the shoulders. Using his larger build, he pushed the mare down on all fours and mounted her.

"Get off of me!" the green pony shouted. He grabbed hold of her mane to steady himself as she struggled with his weight upon her.

"Careful Rodg, she's not broken in," another student commented, laughing.

"Yeah, I think I might need riding lessons," Rodger chuckled.

Nathan had had enough of the display. He got up. "Get off of her."

"What's wrong? Animals aren't even allowed in school anyway," Rodger replied to Nathan and the class at the same time, making a spectacle of himself. The mare grunted and struggled to walk.

Dave facepalmed. "For shit's sake Rodger, it's a Tuesday."

"Feed her a carrot!" another student shouted.

A grin formed on Rodger's face. "I got a carrot for her..."

"You get the fuck off of her!" Nathan ran in between the desks and over to them.

"You want a ride too, Nathan? I don't thinks she-" Nathan grabbed the student mid-sentence by the arm and shoulder. With whatever enraged strength he possessed, he threw the man off the mare and into the adjacent desk.

"Hey, what the fuck?!" the young man yelled as he crashed into the chair.

The pain found Nathan again in that moment. He bent over and clutched his stomach, trying not to collapse onto the floor. His entire right arm felt cold and numb with a tingling sensation in the core. The green mare took that opportunity to get back on both legs just as Nathan almost got down on all four. The entire class was now standing and backing away from the confrontation in the center.

"Fucking pony lover," the other student said as he clambered to stand.

Nathan grabbed a nearby desk to steady himself. He didn't notice that his right sleeve had now slid further up his arm.

"Gotdamn alien-loving," the man stopped speaking as he stood up.

The pain in Nathan's center was now almost unbearable. The tingling sensation from his arm had now spread to his entire body. He could do little other than breath. His ears and face all felt strange. He looked at those around him. Every eye on the classroom was now on him.

"What the hell..." the student in front of him asked, staring. "You... you're one of them!"

Nathan turned around. Even his friend David behind him stared in disbelief at his right limb.

"Are you all-" the green mare to his side started to ask but Nathan didn't let her finish. He grabbed his hoof with his other hand and shoved past her, walking quickly to the door.

"He's turning into one of them!" Rodger shouted as he left. Nathan ignored it, ignored the growing outcries behind him as he opened the door and exited the classroom.

The hallway beyond was empty. He took a right and continued walking, not knowing or caring for the moment where he ended up. His stomach ached and his entire body felt strange. Where could he go? He quickly thought of the nurse's office. Maybe if he could get there before...

He turned a corner quickly and the sensation hit him in the legs next. It became hard to walk and his shoes felt strange over his feet. He fought the urge to look down and focused on the hallway ahead of him. Trying to hasten his pace, one of his shoes fell off, quickly followed by the other one.

Somehow, it became easier to walk at that instance but now Nathan's ears were playing tricks on him. A noise like the clip-clop of hooves echoed off the corridor walls with each step he took. It made him walk even faster; he was practically running down the hallway, passing classroom doors. At the very least, he didn't see any students.

The hallway opened up to the entrance of the building. To his right was the cafeteria, to his left, the doors leading outside.

Nathan was trying to decide where to go when the sensation hit him again. He bent over, buckling in pain. His left arm turned to ice; he set both hand and hoof on the floor. He winced and closed his eyes as the pain almost became unbearable. Despite the feeling, he forced himself to move his legs forward one limb at a time. He couldn't feel his hands or feet any more. Slowly, the pain faded and he opened his eyes. He was now running on all fours with the sound of hooves against pavement in his ears.

He passed the cafeteria as the bell rang. Panic set in on him; in seconds, the hallways would be filled with students changing classes. He had to find a place to hide; he couldn't let anyone see him like this. The idea hit him: the bathroom. He didn't think any more; he knew one was just up ahead so he made a mad dash for it. Classroom doors in the hallway ahead of him opened just as he pulled open the girl's restroom door and entered.

The tiles felt cold against his hooves. Nathan caught his breath and allowed his heart rate to calm down a bit. The pain, the strange, tingling feelings he'd felt earlier were gone. So were his shoes and socks. He could hear students crowding the halls through the door behind him, the uproar of talking and travel as the students switched rooms. Thankfully, the bathroom seemed unoccupied for the moment.

Nathan looked down at his hooves on the floor. He moved one at a time over to the sink. Carefully, he placed both hooves on the porcelain and pulled himself up to see his reflection.

A tan earth pony with a brown mane stared back at him, mouth agape. He was wearing his clothes and had the same exact color eyes as he did. Nathan placed a hoof on his face to feel his newly-formed muzzle. It had happened to him: he had become a pony. He felt tears form in his eyes. Despite his best efforts to hold them in, they fell anyway. He tried to dry his eyes with his hooves but wound up only brushing the tears around his face.

What was going to happen to him now? He wasn't a human any more. The only thing left to remind him he was still himself was literally the clothes on his back. None of his friends, not even his parents would recognize him. Everything he loved; video games, sports, reading, writing, drawing, all the things he did with his friends, would he even be able to do any of those things now? Would his friends even try to play with a pony?

Sobbing almost uncontrollably, he tried to turn the water faucet on with his hooves. Placing one hoof behind the handle, he pulled it towards him and it quickly spun to full-blast, splattering water up onto him. Carefully, he grasped it with the edge of both hooves and turned it down to a gentler setting. He let the water pour over his hooves, watching as it ran down either side of his rounded limbs.

All he'd wanted was to get back the life he knew so long ago. But like the water running over his hooves, that possibility was washed away. He tried to splash water on his face but mostly it just sprayed around him, getting the floor and stalls wet.

The door to the bathroom opened suddenly.

"Um, what are you doing here?" It was another pony at the door, a yellow unicorn mare. "This is the girl's room."

"Uh, oh, I'm sorry," Nathan said, putting his hooves down on the floor. "It's... it's my first time."

The mare raised an eyebrow. "It's your first time going to the bathroom?"

Nathan felt his cheeks redden. "N-no, I mean... I'm new to this school."

"Right, well this is still the girl's room-"

"I'll just be going now," Nathan said, quickly striding past the pony and exiting.

He quickly joined the crowd of students. While they were still mostly humans, there were a few other ponies like himself among the midst. It wasn't as much of an adjustment to walk on hooves as he thought it would be; he was quickly able to match the pace of those around him and move through the crowd.

He saw his shoes and socks at the end of the hall leading to the cafeteria. His friend Dave walked up to them from the opposite direction, knelt down and picked them up.

For that moment, Nathan was stunned. His friend stood for a moment just holding his shoes, looking around. Was he looking for him? Dave's eyes scanned the crowd, the two locked eyes for a moment. Nathan was too afraid to say anything, to let his friend know where he was. He turned to the right towards the entrance of the building and followed a group of students outside.

He walked out onto the courtyard in front of the school. What was the point in going back to class? He didn't even care he'd left his stuff in the classroom; he wouldn't be able to carry it any more anyway. His entire life had just changed. There was no going back. He felt like crying again.

"Nathan? Nathan?!" a voice from behind him yelled. Dave was standing at the entrance, calling his name. Nathan panicked. He didn't want his friend to see him like this. He started running, galloping away from the entrance to the school as fast as his knew legs could take him. He knew it was a long way away but he didn't have anywhere else to go and in that moment, he didn't care. With tears in his eyes again, Nathan Sheffield ran home.