• Published 1st Jul 2013
  • 4,410 Views, 198 Comments

A Prince's Journey - Frosthowl



the direct descendant of a human warrior and the princess of the night. Prince Starfall a newly born human child who grows up hearing from everyone that his deceased father was a hero but he finds out that its only part of the story..

  • ...
29
 198
 4,410

Chapter 5 Kill Or Be Killed

The prince was struggling to walk on the bare fields of the snow to the Everlife forest. As the prince ran in the midnight darkness while it was snowing endlessly he hit his face on a barrier that lit up on impact. *Omph* he hit face first on the magical barrier to keep him from leaving Ponyville and keeping out any non ponies. The prince stood up and inspected the force field keeping him away from the forest.

"An impressive barrier mother, But I would be insulting you if I couldn't break it." Starfall said as his fathers smile started to appear on his lips again. The prince put his hands on the force field and focused his magic on nullifying. With the moon glowing as glorious as ever, the prince eyes started to glow with the same light as the moon and allowing him to channel enough magical energy to bypass a barrier put up by a demi-god. The air around him started to blow furiously and electrical surges from the amount of magic to make the barrier useless for an hour.

Starfalls hand went through to the other side as his spell finished. The prince didn't waste a second and kept going towards the origins of the roars and howls.

The trees in the Everlife forest felt like they weren't from this world...Something about them made Starfall feel less frightened, like he was surrounded by family. "RAAWR!" The shattering roar came again with the sound of barking. It was close by...


Starfall was terrified. What he saw began to shake him to his core. While hiding in a bush he saw a giant snow white lion twice as tall as the prince with a demonic look on his face, with horribly misshapen teeth and horns along with murderous red eyes and a reptilian tongue. The lion also had forepaws of a dragon and the back paws of a goat. But the most terrifying feature was its tail.. It was a living snake.."Chimera.." He whispered to himself very quietly. The chimera was facing two Large wolves barely twice as tall as Starfall.

They were staring at each other, both ready to tear the other apart. The prince had not been discovered yet and could have slip away from any trouble that would occur but a sight like this was one in a million and he wouldn't let it go to waste. From what the Starfall saw was that the other wolf was slightly shorter..Most likely meant that it was a she and the other a he. A good guess would be that they were mates.

The snake and lion were not gonna back down and started to growl louder and louder as he stepped closer and closer for a fight that would spill blood. The two wolves looked like they were protecting something other than their territory...But what was it? The lion decided that it was time to act and leapt forward getting a good swipe at the female wolf sending her flying a few meters away with a nasty bleeding cut. The male wolf responded quickly with jumping on the lion and biting its throat. but the lion quickly shook off the giant white wolf by ramming himself against a tree knocking off all the snow that was sitting on its branches. the lion was about to swipe the wolf on the ground but was pounced by the bleeding female wolf.

The wolf bit the chimera in the neck, making the lion roar in pain. The snake tail retaliated by biting the wolf on its back paw making it howl and lose its grip on the lion. She received another well placed swipe by the lion on the throat and fell, unconscious. The chimera turned its attention towards the male wolf again who had gotten up on his paws. He tried another swipe of his talons on the wolf. It dodged the strike and went for the lions neck. The white wolf bit savagely and tore out a piece of the chimera’s throat. As the wound bled heavily, it seemed like the battle was over and the chimera would retreat. The Lion roared from the immense pain caused by the wolf, writhing in agony. Suddenly, The lion darted at the wolf. He grabbed him and, to Starfall’s complete horror, sunk his jaws into his head and ripped it off his body. The chimera cried in victory as the blood pooled out of where the wolf’s head had once been.

No words could explain the feelings of fear and disgust that the prince was going through. The prince knew he had to get out of there before the chimera sniffed out any other mammals in the area. He slowly and carefully backed away from the bush while keeping his eye on it. But a large high pitch wolf howling caught the attention of both the human and chimera. The sound came from a very small wolf cub with similar fur coats as his...Parents. It was obvious that the parents were protecting the sound. At that point the prince realised that the high pitch howling from before was from the puppy and its parents must have come out to protect it. Starfall saw the gigantic chimera slowly approaching the mourning puppy, like it was enjoying its superiority over the ice wolves. What am I going to do!? he thought hysterically. He couldn't leave the innocent wolf cub to die...

The wolf was too young to run away, most likely a newborn. No, I must protect it! Starfall was terrified but he couldn't let the innocent wolf puppy die. He wouldn't be able to forgive himself if it did. "I...Must...PROTECT HIM, CHARGE!!!" he yelled out and ran towards the chimera which quickly took notice of his attack. The prince used his telekinetic magic to slap the chimera, sending it flying against a tree and breaking it in half. Starfall ran up to the cub and quickly picked him up and dashed away as fast as he could.

The prince could hear the lion roaring behind him. The attack did little to slow the chimera down and it was not far behind him. It was hard to run in a forest covered with snow and beneath every step could be a small hole or root which the prince could fall over and become a easy prey for the chimera....And that was just the case. The prince had ran as fast as his legs could carry him and the medium sized wolf cub in his arms. Unfortunately one of his feet dug deep in a snow burrow, making the young prince fall and dropping the cub who fell a small distance away from him.

The chimera was in a hunt for vengeance against the human that had attacked him and stole his prey. Starfall panicked and saw the frenzied beast closer and closer. He quickly stood back on his feet and used his magic to put the wolf under a large hole by the trees roots to keep him safe. Starfall was standing his ground against the chimera. Despite his fears against the monstrosity, he refuses to submit to fear and yield to death. He was fighting not only for his life but the life of a innocent newborn. The chimera saw the prince standing his ground and stopped in his tracks, He wouldn't refuse the challenge of another fight.

The chimera was still bleeding from his encounter from before and he didn't want to waste more energy on a growling match and quickly went for snatch and grab attempt, but the prince used his telekinesis to deflect the dashing lion to the left side.The chimera quickly recovered from the small misdirection and tried a swipe against the human. Starfall deflected the enormous lion again but he didn't do it fast enough and was mauled in the upper arm.

The surge of pain made the prince fall on his knees. He may have been strong and powerful but wasn't invincible. The chimera saw this and slowly started to circle the defeated child. He was taking his time to enjoy his kill. But while one of the combatants were savoring their victory, the other was despairing his defeat. I will never see my aunts again...I will never see Skyla again...They think I hated them...Mother...


Starfall was sitting in his near-empty room. His belongings which he had wished to be transported to Ponyville were already gone and the prince was taking one last glance at his room before leaving it for a long time. He went over to pick up one of his old toys and looked at it out of nostalgia. "Ignorance is bliss...Back when I didn't know the difference between red and blue." He smiled to himself. "My mind has been tormenting me with nightmares of me becoming a monster like my kin before me...If only I knew what happened after..Would my suffering cease?" He said to himself not expecting an answer.

The doors slid open and two pegasi guards were standing there with a salute. "Your highness, we are ready to escort you to Ponyville!" The prince put down his old toy on his bed and simply nodded to the pegasi.


The chariot was strapped to the pegasi that were going to escort the young prince. Starfall was gonna say his final goodbyes before leaving. He looked at his mother who was teary eye from her son leaving her, though it was temporary it was still very hard for her. "Be safe sweetie!" She wrapped the prince in her wings and gave him a kiss on the cheek. "Behave yourself now and promise me you'll be carefull." the prince felt his mother’s tear touching his skin. "I love you so much my little moonshine..Don't forget it."

"I love you too mother." Starfall couldn't fight back the tears. He had not forgiven his mother just yet, but he still loved her no matter what. He backed up a bit and looked his mother in her eyes that she shared with her son "I promise I'll make you proud." His tears dripping down his cheek while giving a comforting smile to his mother.


The prince was bleeding badly. The chimera thought that it was time to finish this and slowly approached the human closer and closer. Starfall clenched his fist into a ball that could crush rocks and his eyes were teary from his final moments with his mother. "-I forgive you mother.." He spoke. The chimera leapt forward with his right claw about to strike. "NO!" the prince snapped back into reality and used his Full magical powers to send the chimera flying towards a tree. but it didn’t stop there. The chimera was blasted away faster than the prince's eyes could see, several trees were broken in half and the ground made a quaking *BOOM*.

Starfall fell on his hands and knees after the immense display of his raw magical powers..He turned his head towards where he had put the cub and took him out of the shelter with his magic. The white wolf was sleeping. He smiled up to see the adorable sight of the sleeping cub. "You are safe now little one. Lets get you back to your mother." Starfall followed his footsteps from the trail that he had came from before.

As he came to where his feet had originated from before. His calmed state had disappeared as he saw the chimera again...Lying in the ground with a large pool of red snow that was half melted.."Oh..No,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no!" He hysterically ran over to the body and put the cub back on the ground. "No...No.." His mouth was open in horror and shock from his action which led to the its...Death.."I-,m I'm sorry!" He tried to apologies to the dead chimera. "This,-" He was shaking and stammering uncontrollably as he spoke. "This,- This is not...." Starfall couldn't get himself to speak properly as his grief and guilt kicked in.

THERE HAS TO BE A WAY TO SAVE HIM!? he panicked some more before he got an idea. "Of Course!" He put his hands on the chest of the lion and his hands started to glow a blinding gold which his eyes suffered from but wasn't tended to. Starfall looked back and put his head on its heart, hoping to hear a heartbeat..But nothing was beating.."NO, I WON'T FAIL!" He yelled out praying that he was strong enough. He focused all his magical energy, summoning the glow of the moon and night. "Mother grant me strength!" A blinding golden beam was channeled to the chimera. The prince didn't notice any movement or twitches..he was still dead.."No, I WON'T GIVE UP!" He kept channeling his healing spell which was quickly taking its toll.

"Come one! Come one! COME ON!" He shouted out with tears going down his face. The prince fell on his hands and knees again from the overuse of his powers that were weakening him."No.." he softly spoke. He closed his eyes in his disappointment and shame.

But all of a sudden, he could feel a wet and warm sensation on his hand..He opened his eyes and saw that the puppy licking his hand..I'm...Sorry. Starfall stood up from his previous stance and lifted up the little puppy again. "I may not be able to save him, but I can at least bring you back to your mother." He said with a depressed frown. Before he left, he took one last glance at the dead chimera.."I'm...Sorry.." he spoke with guilt and moved on.


On his way towards the wolf mother, Starfall felt light headed as his wound was still bleeding gradually..He had forgotten to tend to the bleeding wound on his arm and he was too weak to heal himself. But the prince, young but smart, knew what he had to do. He first put the sleeping puppy back on the ground and took off his belt. He binded it around his deltoid and put as much pressure he could on the knot as possible. The bleeding would be slowed down but not stopped unless with stitches. "That will do for now." he said to himself.

After a while he had finally returned to the area where the chimera and wolves had fought. He could see the red painted wolf a small distance away. She was lying by the tree she had been knocked against and she had been bleeding...A Lot.

He carefully approached the wolf and was overjoyed to see it still breathing. "Thank the Lightbringer!" he uttered hopefully. The wolf woke up to my voice and started to growl furiously. It saw him holding its pup and started to bark. It tried to stand up but fell down, still reeling from the fight. Starfall carefully approached the wolf by offering its cub to her, calming down the weakened mother. Starfall tried to get closer to help the bleeding wolf but she started growling again showing off its massive sharp teeth. "Please let me help you" he pleaded.

As he stepped closer she started to sniff the scent that the prince gave. When the wolf realised just who the young human was she lowered her head and her aggressive stance was completely gone. "Thank you." The prince stepped closer and inspected its wounds, The bleeding gashes were something it would most likely survive..but there was one thing that worried Starfall in particular. Its back paw was completely swollen.."venom..." He remembered the chimera's tail that had caused the wound. "Listen to me very carefully, I'm going to suck out the venom. Do you understand?" He looked the wolf in the eye hoping it would give a slight nod.

She did and the prince didn't waste a moment to do what was necessary. "Prepare yourself, this is going to hurt." He put his mouth against the wound and started to suck as much venom out as possible. Starfall started to gag from the disgust, He kept going at it until he was sure he at least had sucked out enough poison for the wolf to receive real medical attention. "There! Can you stand up?" Starfall asked as he stepped away and picked up the wolf cub.

The wolf slowly tried to stand up on its four paws again but as she did, she collapsed back and started to howl out in pain. She looked at the prince confused as what to do and hoping he could help her. "This is not good...I'm hurt myself and if I don't make it back home quickly...I'll perish in the snow..." The wolf started to make a crying high pitch sound and looking at Starfall with puppy dog eyes. "Shh.." He hushed the bleeding wolf. "Do not worry, I promise that you and your cub will make it." he looked towards the snowy road ahead..But it won't be easy..


The wound had taken its toll on the child, He had gone as far as he could. he was carrying a newborn ice wolf on his blood drained arm and the other was dragging a 400 kilogram ice wolf on her front paw. Starfalls body was freezing cold and he knew that deaths grip would take him, his lips were blue and his face was pale white.. He had lost all his color in his left arm. But despite that he kept on going. As he came out of the Everlife forest, his lips could barly creep a smile. "Look we made it.." He looked back on the unconscious wolf that he was still dragging.

"Oh no.." He stopped for a moment and leaned down on her chest and could hear her heart still beating..But faintly..."Hold on!" Starfall said as he kept going towards the town but was stopped by the blue force field from earlier..."No..." He whispered teasingly. He didn't have enough power to nullify it..."So this is how the son of the princess of the night dies?" He fell down on his knees..Relented and exhausted, he felt like death was just right behind him, ready to put his hand on the young prince's shoulder and carry him away.


Starfall was sitting in the guest room, still recuperating from his friends very recent betrayal. He wanted to smash the entire guest room to pieces. But that would have to wait as his door was knocking on the door. "Come in!"

The young prince had expected a maid,cook or a guard to be the one knocking at his door. he did not expect to see Skyla's mother. "Cadence I do not have the patience for your lecturing for the moment."

"I'm not here to lecture you." she said walking inside and shutting the door behind her. "I'm here to ask for your forgiveness."

Starfall shot up at the word, "Forgiveness!? You think you can come here and apologies in the name of your daughter for her actions!?" Starfall said frustratingly and approaching her eye to eye.

Cadence kept her calm and just stood still. "Not for hers....For mine.." She simply spoke.

Starfall raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

"I should have stepped in between Luna and Skyla when she was asking her where you were, I should have stopped her when she extorted her. And now my daughter is crying her eyes out in her room thinking she has lost her one and only friend."

Starfall didn't change his look. "Good, because she has." Cadence's eyes flashed with shock, but she kept her composure. Starfall went on: "I will not forgive her..But I will forgive you because you weren't the one that broke your promise and put a dagger in my back." He went over to his bed and sat down to read his books. "Now leave me be."


The prince clenched his fist tightly in self loathing...He now understood when something was outside your ability to act and you...break your promise. "I promised that I would save her...But I failed..And now...All three of us will die because of me.." With his last breath, the prince would die and Skyla and his mother would think he had hated them..."I forgive you Mother.." With his last breath and ounce of strength. The prince stood up and channeled all his physical strength into his right arm..."I...-..I forgive you Skyla!" He swung his fist towards the barrier shattering it in a titanic quake that destroyed the barrier and made the ethereal pieces fall down towards the deserted town.

Starfall was done...His body collapsed into the snow as all the memories of his short life surfaced in front of them...And most of them were him wasting it on reading books instead of living his life with his friends,family and loved ones..

Starfall could see death standing above him, he had come to claim the prince and he accepted it with dignity.

"I'm coming, father..."

Author's Note:

Whats gonna happen next:O Don't you just love cliff hangers?...You dont?..Sucks for you then:P

In my opinion this is the best chapter so far. I hope you liked it as much as I did and I'll release chapter 6 next week.

Like and favorite the story if you enjoy it and comment as well. I'm curious to what you guys think about it.

And as always, the more likes I get for each chapter, the faster I'll release the next one.