• Published 1st Jul 2013
  • 4,410 Views, 198 Comments

A Prince's Journey - Frosthowl



the direct descendant of a human warrior and the princess of the night. Prince Starfall a newly born human child who grows up hearing from everyone that his deceased father was a hero but he finds out that its only part of the story..

  • ...
29
 198
 4,410

Chapter 2 Princess Skyla

The train screeched as it arrived at its destination. "We have arrived to the crystal empire, please watch your step when you leave the train." The conductor yelled out as the large group of ponies that were riding along stepped out into the train station surrounded the platform with a group of fully armored guards, who were there in case the group encountered any threats.

The Platform was empty; it had been cleared out for the royal arrivals. It had been refurbished recently, so everything looked almost new. The benches were nearly in peak condition, the paint still had a new-ish glint and the cobbled stone they walked on was only the slightest bit dirty. The train whistled loudly, before slowly heaving itself from the station. Above the chugging, a young boy gave a loud groan.

The prince was in a bit of a bad mood for not being allowed to sleep through the day. "Mother, I do not understand why we did not simply fly here.." Starfall crossed his arms as he was riding on his mothers back.

The elements took notice of their nephews bad mood. "Cheer up sugarcube, ah bet the crystal ponies will be thrilled to see their prince again." Applejack said, nudging him a bit on his leg as she was walking.

"Besides sweetheart, it's too dangerous to fly with a carriage through the crystal mountains and at least got to sleep in the train." Luna said slightly turning her head to speak to her son who is riding on her back.

"I didn't want to spend the day in the crystal empire, I don't care about Skyla's birthday; she didn't come to mine!" The young prince was close to throw a temper tantrum.

"Starfall!" Luna said a bit sternly to keep her son in check. "Skyla was sick, she stayed at home because she didn't want you to catch it on your birthday!" Luna said lecturing her child.

Starfall was a bit shocked and saddened by his mother's sudden stern voice."I'm...forgive me." He apologized for his immature behavior even tho he was six years old, which is quite a young age for a human.

"No harm done, sweetheart. Just be nice to her on her birthday, and after that you can go sleep in one of the guest rooms my little moonshine." Luna smiled. Her son was at times a bit disrespectful because he’s tired, being awake at day for a nocturnal creature is hard, especially for a child.

"Aunty Twilight, when will I be learning under your tutelage?" The crown prince turned his curious attention towards his fellow ruler.

Twilight smiled a bit, thankful for the chance to teach someone about the world and magic. "Most likely after Hearth's Warming Eve." Twilight couldn't believe how fast time was flying by."Oh look how grown up you are, already going to school."

Twilight was about to shed a dramatic tear of nostalgia before she was interrupted by Pinkie."HEY STARFALL!" Pinkie screamed, popping up behind the prince on luna’s back. The ponies were shocked to see Pinkie’s rash and very disrespectful way of treating the Princess of the Night, but she didn’t mind."Your seventh birthday is in a couple of weeks!"

Starfall rolled his eyes, though he did snicker a bit on how the pink mare was constantly coming up with new way of surprising the young prince."Yes aunty Pinkie, you don't need to remind me, why wouldn’t I remember my own birthday?"

Pinkie gave a snorting giggle."Who would forget their own birthday silly?" Pinkie jumped off the lunar princesses and went side by side as normal again."I'm gonna bake you a cake bigger than you, you'll love it!"

"As long as it’s not hay cake I’m satisfied.."


As the group of ponies reached the border of the city, they were met with a crowd of crystal ponies who came to greet their True king. The guards that were escorting the group instantly snapped to attention and created a circular pony shield made of the guards themselves to keep the civilians at bay. "HAIL, KING STARFALL!" the pony crowd yelled out in joy.

"Oh my, you have quite the admirers, King Starfall." Rarity said with a slight tease in her voice."

Thank goodness you wore your newly made cloths, a King should always look his finest." His aunt said nudging starfall a bit on his foot.

As much as Starfall did not know about fashion he did agree that his clothes really did say royalty in look. With the prince's pristine white wings and crimson red hair like his grandmother he had a outfit with a large white coat with metal armbands, belt and crown with the symbols of the moon engraved on them as a sign of legacy and tradition, being the son of a warrior demands that he must wear them. But he didn't mind they did make him look tougher. Along with a white coat, he wore a small crimson red cape which suits his hair which was medium long

The young prince dismounted from his mothers back and put his feet on the ground."Mother, may I address our subjects?" He asked with a curtsey.

The lunar princess rolled her eyes in a blushing smile, She had raised a fine prince. "You may, but stay behind the guards." Vigile quick as a bolt stood next to Starfall just as a secondary precaution. The young boy waved the guards to the side but still keeping the captain by him.

Starfall cleared his throat before speaking. "CITIZENS OF THE CRYSTAL EMPIRE! I am humbled by your greeting and affection. I am proud to walk in the city my ancestor built for you all. But today, we celebrate the gift that is Princess Skyla's birthday." Starfall raised his fist to the sky. "HAIL PRINCESS SKYLA!" The crowd took a second before responding.

The whispered around in the crowd before they looked back at him again. "HAIL PRINCESS SKYLA, HAIL PRINCESS SKYLA!"

The crystal princess went outside to her balcony made out of pure crystal with her daughter to see what the commotion was. When the arrived they saw a massive crowd of close to a thousand all cheering the newly arrived. "HAIL PRINCESS SKYLA, HAIL PRINCESS SKYLA!" The young princess was thrilled to see her subjects cheering on her for her birthday. As the royal family looked over the crowd, they could see a group of armored ponies coming through the crowd. "Look who's here!" Cadence leaned down toward her daughter who saw her one and only friend she was allowed to have due to her royal status

"Starfall!" She leapt in joy and ran back inside the crystal castle waiting for her one and only friend to come to her birthday.

As the crystal ponies stepped to the side allowing the group of ponies and guards to pass through, Starfall caught a glimpse of the crystal heart...but also a statue that looked a lot like...Him."What in the name of my mothers moon is that?" the shocked child pointed towards a statue made out of crystal and gold with the form of a human with wings.

The ponies were a bit quiet when the prince asked about the statue.."That is your ancestor, crystal king Alexander." Vigile said standing by the prince's side."He was the one that built the crystal empire." Vigile spoke with a small hint of nostalgia in his eyes and smile.

The prince slowly approached the statue, staring while in deep thought. He stepped closer and read an inscription below his armored feet.

In memory of the crystal king Alexander, May he forever protect the crystal heart from evil

This was the first time the young prince had seen a full grown human. He couldn't believe how heroic he looked in his golden armor whilst standing on top of a block of shining crystal."My ancestor...?" Starfall muttered to himself in awe.

Just then a young filly ran down the crystal staircase leading into the castle with two royal crystal guards guarding it."STARFALL!" The little filly ran up and jumped her friend making him fall back a bit.

"Its good to see you too Skyla." Starfall said with a smile while rolling his eyes on his friends peculiar way of greeting a fellow ruler.


"And this present is from Starfall." princess Cadence said picking up a small black plastic case with a bow on it.

They were all gathered in the crystal palace’s magnificent dining hall. The room was crowded with tables of different sizes and shapes, as if it were a resturant. The floor and wall were a magnificent shade of red and the windows were all engraved with the symbol of the Crystal empire: The Crystal Heart. The group were all huddled in a corner of the room, where Skyla had graciously accepted and opened all of her presents, savouring the experience of opening each one.

As the young pink unicorn removed the bow on the case she she slowly opened up and everyone in the room were curious as in themselves what was inside..As the case opened up the young fillies eyes widened in amazement.Inside the medium long case was a blue diamond attached to a golden necklace.Everyone were shocked on the beauty of the gem. While everyone was staring at the gleaming diamond Starfall crept a arrogant smile."That’s a one-of-a-kind-gem, it’s a Sky diamond"

Twilight,Celestia and Luna looked at the young prince in confusion."I've never heard of a gem called a Sky diamond." Celestia questioned her nephew on a gem she has never heard off or even knew its existence. At this point all the ponies were looking at the young prince awaiting an explanation.

The young prince resembled his father, keeping his confident smile constantly plastered on his face."Of course you haven't heard of it, I created it!" Starfall exclaimed.

Twilight was taken back by his statement."WHAT?" she said, confused as to how a seven year old could create a new diamond."Are you saying you discovered a new type of gem!?" His aunt was at the verge of a breakdown from the new discovery.

"Yes I am, with a small chunk of diamond dragonscale ore and a regular sapphire diamond, I combined the elements with a surge of lunar magic and a small mixing of alchemy creating a diamond that absorbs the sun and moonlight, making it glow every time you are frightened or sad. And since I discovered it I have the right to name it and...Well I named it after you."

All the ponies started to tear up from the most generous act they had ever heard of. "Oh my gosh, thank you Starfall, you shouldn't have!" Skyla threw her forehooves around her friend.

The young prince wasn't one to let his emotion rule over who he was, but he couldn't fight back the blushing smile."Happy Birthday Skyla.” After Skyla broke the hug, Starfall cleared his throat. “As much as I would love to be here and enjoy a slice of cake I would like to get some sleep, I've been awake for the past eighteen hours and would appreciate if you allow me to leave a bit early."

"Its alright Starfall, I know how hard it is to be awake during the day for you."

"You have my gratitude, I bid you all a good day." The prince bowed to his family before leaving the decorated dining hall. As the boy started to undo his fake leather belts connected to his armor on the way, he had a little trouble removing it. Distracted, Starfall accidently bumped into Shining Armor who had just came from the other corridor."My apologies Shining"

The prince was expecting the former captain of the royal guard to shrug off the little accident but he just snorted with a trace of hostility which the young prince instantly sensed from the so called Prince of the crystal empire. "Abomination.." Shining Armor whispered to himself but the prince heard it before he could go inside the royal guest room. Starfall let it pass through him as he was too tired to care for the least.

Shining armor was strolling around the castle being saluted by the guards he didn't realise that he was being followed."You know both he and I could hear you, right?" Captain Vigile said revealing himself in the corner of the hall which Shining stopped when he heard his Favorite acquaintance.

"Vigle, Its good to see you again." Shining armor said sarcastically. "You still never let the little runt out of your sight?" Shining armor turned to face the uniquely armored pegasus. "I see that your still wearing the armor the He gave you"

"Is that jealousy I hear?" Vigle chuckled a bit. "After all these years you are still the sad shell of a former guard."

"Careful now Captain, You are now in the crystal empire addressing a prince; I'll have you thrown in the dungeons if you don't watch your tongue!" He said with a strong resentment in his voice.

Vigile stepped closer, a little threatening but still keeping a good distance between the rivals."You sound more and more like Blueblood ever since you moved to the crystal empire, but it is understandable being the giant fraud that you are. Besides, You know yourself that I only answer to the princesses and the crystal king." Vigile said knowing it pisses him off to mention the fact that when Starfall is the true ruler of the crystal empire.

"I’m the fraud? the second you got your fancy armor and new rank you showed to have a bigger mouth than you let on when you were in dud camp."

"Look who's talking. Everyone knew that the only reason you were promoted to captain was because your sister was the personal student of Celestia and you were the Boy-toy of Cadence. You have a giant list of complete failures as captain of the royal guard. You couldn't make out the difference between your fiance and a changeling queen.-

"She used her magic on me!" Shining armor said in his defence.

"A understandable excuse but she used it gradually, you should have picked up on it. I also remembered you deciding to go along with the ceremony when you were fully aware that there was a threat against Canterlot." Vigile was expecting him to say something in defence again but he just stood there quietly listening."And lets not forget what happened during the return of king Sombra, You did literally Nothing-”

“-The only thing you accomplished was getting your horn covered in black crystals while Crimson broke every bone in his body several times and lost several limbs to fight someone who was A lot more powerful and stronger then him, buying enough time for your sister to bring the heart and Cadence to recuperate from her constant magic use. I'm starting to see a pattern here..." Vigile barraged Shining armor with memories of his constant failure.

"Sombra was that..Demon hybrid human monster's son..If it wasn't for him then Sombra would never have existed in the first place." Shining armor said trying to make his Speciesism against humans get the better of him."I don't understand how Celestia and Luna could even think the idea to even share the same bed as them..Let alone have That abomination as her son!" Shining armor pointed with his hoof towards the the guest room where Starfall was sleeping.

"Because what they shared was true love, Crimson would have done anything to protect Luna, and Alexander was no different to Celestia. Humans come from a world where they struggle every day with life and death and you sit here on a throne that doesn't belong to you, still playing captain because you can't accept the fact that you were banished from Canterlot and that you were the record worst captain of the history of the royal guard.”

“Oh yeah!? What did the humans do that was so much better than me?

Alexander sacrificed everything to protect Equestria and Crimson was no different. Their list of accomplishments are the reason that Equestria is the utopia of peace that it is today. The long hostility from Changelings is over, The gryphon empire won't ever be a threat again and the dragon king and his minions have been destroyed, along with the single most powerful evil that both the human and pony world had ever seen is vanquished....Do you want me to continue reading the list of his accomplishment?" Vigile said raising an eyebrow.

Shining armor was furious at this point but he was doing his best not to pick a fight with someone that has the power to defeat him."You're lucky that your human owner gave you that special power and armor, or else I would be teaching you a lesson in- Shining armor was cut off before he could finish his threat

"-No! You're lucky that Crimson decided to let you live, If you ask me for what you did, you deserve more than a thousand years exiled on the moon instead of just having your ranked stripped of you. I was there when we all found out the truth about what happened at the grand galloping gala." Vigile said, narrowing his eyes in a hostile glare towards Shining armor, but turned his back on the so-called prince of the crystal empire. "I swore to Crimson that I would protect Starfall from anyone that would ever consider the idea of harming him, and if you ever as much as think of raising your hoof against him I will be there to cut it off." With those words Vigil was done talking to the disgraced guard leaving him growling in hatred towards his replacement.


The cold breeze of the night wind woke up the young prince. Sensing that the bane of his powers and strength was gone, the young prince stood up from his bed with nothing but his underwear which, though he did not understand why he had to wear, he felt more comfortable with. Putting on his black fabric pants and boots along with a white long sleeved shirt. He left his room fully rested in the middle of night in the quiet castle."*Sigh* That is the cost of being a creature of the night, But I take pride in being a child of night" Starfall pondered out loud to himself.Tho he was curious..Was his father just like him? he couldn't stop thinking about the statue that was in display in front of the crystal heart.."Maybe I can finally find some information about my kin in this city...But where would one.- But of course!" Starfall remember that the two thousand year crystal ponies should know at least something about humans especially since their king was a human.

"First I need to sneak out of this palace...Easier done than said" He chuckled, his father’s arrogant grin returning to him.

Author's Note:

Hope you liked the first chapter with Starfall. This is the beginning of his tale and I look forward to hear your feedback of the story:)

P.S I got good news and bad news.

Good news: The good news is that I've written over 33k words into the story for the moment.
Bad news: The bad news is that I don't have a editor who can keep up with my writing speed and doesn't have enough time to edit them. I had intended on releasing the chapters on a every third day basis So if anyone has experience editing just send me a PM and I'll send ya the chapters so you guys can get the story faster.

P.P.S Art cover coming soon...You're gonna like it ;)