• Published 1st Jul 2013
  • 4,410 Views, 198 Comments

A Prince's Journey - Frosthowl



the direct descendant of a human warrior and the princess of the night. Prince Starfall a newly born human child who grows up hearing from everyone that his deceased father was a hero but he finds out that its only part of the story..

  • ...
29
 198
 4,410

Chapter 1 Prince Starfall

The Canterlot hospital had never been so full and yet so quiet. Inside, many ponies were sitting around, nervously awaiting their first glimpse of the newborn. The distance between the ward where Luna lay and the surgery room was minimal, so the ponies were packed together in the hallways.

Some were doctors in full uniform who had only just delivered the baby, looking to the room, anxious to find out if they’ve done something wrong. Others were hungry reporters, primed with sharp pencils and clean cameras, their eyes glinting at the scale of the scoop. The only sounds that filled the ears of the onlookers were the distant beeping and whirs of hospital machinery, and Pinkie’s nervous gibberish to herself that went something like:

“Ohmigosh ohmigmhosh will the baby be okay he’ll be okay these are best doctors in equestria but what if something goes wrong he could lose a limb or an eye or maybe even his whole head and-” She would continue on like this until she ran out of breath, and would then take a huge startling gasp before gushing again. She was standing at the end of the corridor, as she would be the one to take the youngling into Luna’s room.

The doors to the surgery room burst open, and the corridor exploded into life. Voices went over voices and cameras flashed as 2 strong stallions in dark green surgeon capes pushed the small tram that contained the baby the short length to Pinkie pie. Despite all the horrible noise and chatter, the baby stayed in his slumber. Pinkie jumped up and down in giddy excitement. The tram was passed to her, as she treated herself to view the new prince.

He was little different from any other baby; he slept on his right with his thumb placed firmly in his mouth. His small white-feathered wings made Pinkie think of a baby angel. With that thought, she gripped the tram and dragged into the ward, closing door behind her as quickly as she could.

"MAZEL TOV!" Pinkie yelled out as the baby came back from the surgery the book said he needed to take. The muffled voices of the outside did nothing to spoil the beauty of the moment.

Luna was resting in her bed while all her friends were looking at the baby."Aww he's sooo cute." Fluttershy leaned closer to get a better look at the newborn baby.

"It’s hard to imagine that someone like Anthony was once this little cutie wootie baby." Rarity gushed, "I can’t wait to turn him into the most handsome bachelor in Equestria. The first thing i'm going to do is style his mane and make him a whole wardrobe of the most stylish royal cloths." Rarity was at the point of squealing in joy from her plans for her nephew.

Rainbow Dash herself was overly happy about the baby's apparent growing wings with white feathers."Aww yeah! I can't wait to teach the little guy how to use those wings!" Rainbow dash threw her hooves in the air in joy.

Fluttershy was holding the little baby in her forehooves as all the ponies stared at Starfall."He looks so innocent." Fluttershy nuzzled the sleeping baby.

Applejack took a moment to stop looking at the baby and went over to Twilight who was reading through every detail of how to take care of a human baby book that Anthony wrote and left to her. "Fascinating.." She said as she read through the pages."It seem that during a humans’ early stages of development, the way they are taken care of can differ froms someone like Fluttershy to someone like his father.This is just what I needed for my research about the human psyche." Twilight squealed with excitement from the knowledge she has in her hooves.

Applejack was looking worriedly at her friends "As happy as ah am for Anthony and Luna, I can't shake the thought of what the little guy will be when he grows up.." All the ponies stopped looking at Starfall turned towards Applejack as she did have a point.

"My guess is that he'll be a big-strong gentlecolt like his father." Rarity said encouraging the sleeping baby with a small nuzzle."I don't see what you're worrying about Applejack, he looks so innocent."

"Sombra was also as innocent as Starfall..and look how it turned out for him.." Applejack said completely changing the atmosphere of the room."What am trying to say is that, I'm worried Anthony sacrificed himself for nothing.."

"He didn't.." Came a voice that originated from the bed where Luna was sleeping...She was awake.

"Yer highness.." Applejack recoiled, instantly regretting her words

She rose up from her bed. "Do not worry Applejack, I have complete faith in Anthony that his sacrifice was not in vain...We will never see Legions evil again." Luna caught the attention of all the ponies in the room as she was technically spying on them.Luna used her magic to levitate Starfall from Fluttershy to her forehooves. "Anthony died so that our son would be able to live a life free from the curse that was plaguing him and his ancestor Alexander, a more noble soul has never walked this world." Luna said as she looked down on her pure hearted baby.

All the ponies looked at each other as they noticed something was off with Luna."Princess are you alright?" Fluttershy asked the sobbing mare that was hiding her face with her mane.

Luna looked up again and revealed that she was crying."I..I just..-" She stopped and couldn't get herself to finish though her sobs. The baby woke up from the negative feelings that his mother was conveying off unto Starfall."No, Shhh" She rocked Starfall gentle in her forehooves.."Shhh.." Luna whispered into the baby's ear.

"Come stop your crying, it will be alright

Just take my hoof, hold it tight"

"I will protect you, from all around you

I will be here, don't you cry"

"For one so small, you seem so strong

My hooves will hold you, keep you safe and warm

This bond between us, can't be broken

I will be here, don't you cry, 'cause you'll be in my heart

Yes, you'll be in my heart, from this day on

Now and forever more"

"You'll be in my heart,No matter what they say,

You'll be here in my heart, always..." Luna finished rocking Starfall to sleep and all the ponies looked astounded at how naturally she put him to sleep.

The door opened up to reveal Vigile. "Your highness, The escort is ready to bring you back to the castle." Vigile said with a salute.


"Are you ready, sister?" Celestia asked her little sister if she was ready to address their subjects of last night’s events.

"I am" Luna said, keeping her serious composure and with her newborn infant under her wing. She took a deep breath and went out on the balcony where thousands have shown up to see their new ruler.

Luna cleared her throat to use her royal canterlot voice."Citizen of Equestria, it pains me to bear you these tragic news, but three days ago, at midnight, Commander Crimson Phoenix...Fell!" All of the ponies in the crowd gasped at the bad news, Luna could see her subjects whispering to each other."Do not despair my little ponies, BEHOLD!" Luna used her magic to levitate Starfall above her in the balcony. The crowd went silent as they saw the newborn foal.. except it wasn't a foal."Behold the next sovereign ruler of Equestria. Prince Starfall, my son!" The crowd started to cheer at their new born prince. They knew it wasn't a pony, but a human, something apparent if you looked at the muzzle.

"HAIL PRINCE STARFALL!" the crowd yelled out. Luna sighed in relief from the support of her subjects. She levitated Starfall back to her wing and went back to the throne room and put him in his crib next to the throne, She had a lot of paperwork to catch up with..

but was stopped by her sister levitating the paperwork away from her. "You are a mother now!" Celestia said to her sister ironically in a motherly tone."You can't be spending your time with official royal work when you have a baby who needs his mother." Celestia looked with a frown down on her nephew.

Luna was a bit offended. "Tia, I can do both!" She said, a bit mad that her sister sees her as so helpless just because she had a child.

"You gave birth to a baby three days ago, If it wasn't for my magic you wouldn't be conscious, let alone be standing”

Luna sighed in defeat."What do you suggest I do then?" she said with a small hint of spite

"Take a couple of months off, Your child is your priority now, I've taken care of the kingdom for thousand of years in your absence, I'll survive another couple of months. Go to your room, rest and take care of Starfall."

Luna felt a bit taken aback by her sisters suggestion, She didn't want to feel like a burden upon her sister."I still don't see why we can't just get one of our maids to take care of the baby while I do my part of our co-rulership?"

Celestia trotted closer to her sister who was sitting on her throne with the crib next to it and the sleeping baby. "If you do that then the boy won't see you as his mother. He needs to feel his mothers love for him in his presence or he will grow up with you as a complete stranger. You have a lot to learn about being a parent if your going to be there for your son..And Anthonys child..."

Luna teared up at this. Her sister was right. If Anthony was there, he would say the same thing about how she needed to take leave from her royal duties to take care of their baby. "Alright Tia, you win!" Luna levitated the baby onto her wings. "I will be at leave from my duties for a couple of months then." With those words Luna made her way to her room to "Rest"


Luna was lying in her bed with Starfall next to her, reading through the book that Anthony had given her on everything someone would need to know about how to raise a human baby. There was one particular thing that worried her: So far there was no section on human babies with wings due to there never being one born with a pair. Just as she was turning the page of the book Starfall woke up crying for his mother. She quickly attended to him by trying rock him to sleep but he refused to stop crying. "shhh" She tried to sooth the baby but he wasn't stopping..´´Maybe he needs a change in diapers.´´ She thought to herself. she sniffed the baby..and that was just the case."By the lightbringer!" She recoiled back from the horrible smell.

She quickly levitated him over to table where boxes of diapers were and all she needed for a quick diaper change."Oh dear...I haven't done this since..Since Sombra was a foal.." She quickly remember how long its been since she last change a diaper on a infant. "Lets remember shall we?" She pondered to herself."First, remove the old diaper" Luna removed the old diaper with her magic, the stench alone could have killed or sent a pony into a coma. She used her magic to send the diaper to oblivion and she picked up a new one after quickly cleaning his rump and powdering it and snapped the new diaper on him, But he was still crying...´´Was he in pain?´´ Luna couldn't get the baby to stop crying and tried to hush the baby.

Then she remember that he hasn't eaten in several hours..Luna was unsure how to do this..she had never breastfed and it was ages since she saw her sister doing it..She had no choice and had to try. She lied down on her side and separated her legs a little and let the baby naturally attach to her nipples that had started to grow in the past few months."Success!" she said out in joy with a smile as he latched on her nipple and started to suck the milk from her breasts.


diary entry #220432

Its been a long time since I last wrote in this diary..I guess, I didn't feel like writing after my banishment. Its been a month after the demise of Anthony. Starfall has mostly been sleeping, only times he has woken up has been during his frequent breastfeeding and diaper change..His mane has started to grow and with his sky blue eyes he resembles mother a lot..It can't be a coincidence...Maybe its a sign from her..


Diary entry #220441

It’s been four months and he simply won't stop crying..Starfall has kept the entire castle awake for several days now and Tia came in my room infuriated that she wasn't getting her sleep, although I personally thought it was funny, she had a point. So I took him to a pediatrician today and he said it was nothing of concern. Starfall was just in small pain from his teeth growth. I am relieved that he has stopped crying with the pain relief spell I put on him, but I am still concerned when he will be ready to eat... meat. In the book its said that its common for babies to start eating meat at seven to nine months of age. I guess I will cross that bridge when I get to it. Tia said I have to start take my royal duties again, and she is right as always I haven't done my fair share of being a co-ruler of Equestria. The castle has plenty of maids..but I do not want anyone to take care of Starfall unless they are family..We will see if any of the elements wish to be Starfall’s caretaker.

Diary entry #220444

He bit me! I was breastfeeding him today and while I was breastfeeding I felt a very sharp stinging pain in my stomach biting down on my breasts, Did he see me as his meal or was it a mere accident? His teeth had shown themselves now and I'm very worried that when he grows up will he accept the diet of a pony or will he be a monster that will eat my subjects? Only time will tell and I pray to mother that it won't be the case..Or else I don’t know what to do with him.


Diary entry #220445

After several of hours of reading I found what I was looking for, And I am relieved to say or write, that the book says its very normal to be bitten while breastfeeding when the child is of age to chew and eat his own food, But it also means that I have to stop breast feeding him and change into bottle feeding. In the book it also mentions the diet of a baby..I was surprised to find out that it was mostly mashed up fruits, but its also written that he needs small pieces of meat..I knew this day would come and I have personally asked Gustav to prepare small pieces of meat. a package of chicken meat will arrive from Gryffandar tomorrow, I can sleep better at least knowing that he isn't putting me or any of our subjects on his menu...I wonder if he was a carnivore would he spare me? What Am I thinking! This is my son, he would never hurt me intentionally.

Diary entry #220450

Why mother! Why have you robbed me from my love..I know his attentions but I do not understand how I can keep on going living an immortal life..I've seen hundreds of thousands of ponies or others die from old age...Will my son be immortal with me? If he would it would be a gift to me but a curse to him..He would see all his friends,comrades and family perish a thousand times with no end to it..I regret to inform you, dear diary, that I've been hiding my...moments... from the guards and Tia who asks about crying coming not from the baby, but me..I don't want to admit it but from my knowledge I would diagnose myself with postpartum depression..The baby has been affected by this and I am afraid if I don't get a hold on myself I will emotionally scar the baby..


Diary entry #220454

It’s been seven months now and he still hasn't uttered a word. Thank Lauren for the book that Anthony wrote for me..I don't know what I would have done if he didn't leave it behind..Though I still wish he was here with me, he would be so happy to see his son grow up big and strong like his father. On a happy note I've found a nanny for him, I said I was going to have family take care of him but I guess Misses Doo will be a terrific nanny. Besides, she is married to Captain Vigile so I guess its as close as it gets.


Diary entry #220459

Today was the Grand Galloping Gala and I did not care to wear my gala dress, With Anthony gone now the event has lost meaning to me..But in a lighter note, the crystal ponies that attended the event came and ...Worshiped Starfall..With Anthony defeating king Sombra and being the descendant of Alexander who built it from scratch its not surprising that they came to show their respect, although I still think its..Wierd. It was good to see the elements again..It was quite a time ago since I saw them. With Legion gone..Equestria is quite peaceful.


Diary entry #220469

Misses Doo has informed me that Starfall has started to slowly learn how to walk on two legs. he has grown up very quickly these past few weeks he has started to eat food. he is already taller than Skyla. I'm still waiting for him to utter his first words..I wonder what they will be.


Luna came back to her room after a meeting with the elected president of the gryphon nation. Exhausted from her day with politics from different races of the world, Luna decided to go back to her room to get a couple of hours of time with her son before the night was over. When she opened the door, she saw Starfall sitting by the balcony with Ditzy."What is my son doing by the balcony!"

"Your highness! Forgive me but he simply won't let me move him" Ditzy asked a bit concerned and worried that she might be in trouble

Luna was taken back by the statement."Won't let you? What do you mean?" Luna thought how a baby could forbid anyone.

"Everytime I pick him up or move him he starts crying..He's spent the past hour just staring at the moon.." Ditzy said more and more concerned and worried that she is in big trouble.

Luna widened her gaze at the sitting baby.."You are excused.." Ditzy bowed and quickly left the room to avoid getting into trouble. Luna trotted closer to her son who was staring intently at the moon."Starfall?" Luna knelt down on her stomach next to her baby."You like my work, don't you?" Luna said to her baby with a smile, not needing a respond to know what he was thinking."Your father did as well...He loved my moon and my night..He was always so intrigued by the beauty of it." A tear ran down her cheeks from the memory of her one and only love. Luna snuggled up to the sleeping baby...She wrapped her entire body like an arch around her baby and lay next to him as he was also starting to get drowsy."Good night my little Starfall." Luna kissed her son's head as he was lying on the ground, starting to sleep. Starfall was cocooned by Luna’s wings, lying on one with the other wrapped around him.

"Ma,-ma" He uttered and faded into the world of dreams..

Author's Note:

I hope you enjoyed the first chapter. Please like,favorite and comment, I'm really curious on your thoughts of the story through the first chapter. As always the more Likes the faster you will get your chapters:P