• Published 28th Jun 2013
  • 1,423 Views, 13 Comments

Comes A Change - BrownieHoof



Brownie Hoof travels to Ponyville when his family kicks him out of Machine Bump on the outskirts of Canterllot for the better. When Brownie Hoof comes to Ponyville, some things change.

  • ...
8
 13
 1,423

Fixing Up Loose Ends

"I just had the strangest dream." Brownie Hoof muttered under his breath, reaching the clock to stop it from making a racket. He switched it off and rolled off the couch allowing himself to feel the bump of pain. "Maybe I should see Derpy and tell her about this, as a, er, a joke."

As soon as possible, Brownie Hoof found Derpy Hooves outside Sugarcube Corner, practicing how to eat a muffin as fast as she could. Which, to Brownie Hoof, wasn't really that fast. "Hey Derpy!" Brownie Hoof exclaimed, trotting over to her.

Derpy Hooves was taken by surprise and jumped, making her muffin fly through the air and land on her head in perfect condition. After she munched the rest of the delicious muffin masterpiece, she tried to politely reply, "Hi Brownie," leading to a flying crumb mess. Licking her mouth, Derpy Hooves asked, "What's up?"

"I just had the strangest dream about last night at that Gala," Brownie Hoof spoke, adding, "It seems a little hazy, but I can remember seeing you there, too."

"Well, duh. I was there last night, for real, not just a dream." Derpy Hooves interjected, sitting down at a mushroom table.

Brownie Hoof followed, and pulled out a chair for himself. "The last part was particularly interesting. Something about, let's say, the spell of a certain drink." Brownie Hoof wasn't excited about going into details of that certain moment.

Derpy Hooves was nearly clueless. "I don't remember anything from after you took me outside. After that ridiculously long dancing moment." Derpy was putting her front hooves to her forehead, and you could tell she was thinking, hard.

"I'm not quite sure it was a dream, and this was supposed to be a joke. But oh well, we've got nothing quite better to do." Brownie Hoof spoke, concentrating deeply.

Both ponies were lost in thought until Derpy Hooves remembered one key thing. "You don't think it was the-"

"Yea, it was." Brownie Hoof interrupted, a theory nagging against his head.

"So we were-"

"Yep,"

"And what exactly do you think we did?"

"I think you know,"

Both Derpy and Brownie Hoof gagged, but continued on the theory.

"You think we-"

"Heck, we were under a spell,"

"Wait, we did just what?"

"You want an example?"

"Sure, maybe, I dunno."

"All signs point to... Er... yes, I guess." Brownie Hoof finished, taking hold of Derpy's hoof and pulling it towards him. "For the grand finale," He added, using his other hoof to pull Derpy into a kiss, "Is, that." Brownie Hoof broke the kiss, sitting back, relaxed in his seat.

"Wow, that must have been a long night," Derpy spoke, after a long silence.

"You think that was because we were under the spell or was it just a feeling?" Brownie Hoof questioned, leaning forward to stare at Derpy in the eye.

A long, quiet silence was chipping away at their minds, messing with them.

"I'll have to get to that later, but for now let's say, feeling." Derpy ended, honestly looking Brownie Hoof in the eye.

They left the mushroom table in silence, which only allowed real dreams to happen.

"Shoot, it happened again," Brownie Hoof muttered, massaging his forehead. He was standing behind the brownie cart, waiting for customers while also thinking about what Derpy had told him. Why, she just spoke to him straight in the eye saying she loved him. Not straight, but close enough.

"Um, excuse me? I would like to buy a brownie treat for my son. How much?" A pony asked, surprising Brownie Hoof and making him hit his back right hoof on the brownie cart.

"Er, two bits a brownie." Brownie Hoof replied, pulling his injured hoof up and massaging it. The pony passed up two bits, and Brownie Hoof gave her a delectable brownie.

"Mm, this looks good. Thanks!" The pony exclaimed, trotting off on her way.

All through the afternoon, Brownie Hoof earned bits two by two until the noon was over and the sun was setting for the moon. Brownie Hoof had decided to take a walk to Fluttershy's cottage to see how she was doing.

The walk was dark, yet lit with a dim sun and a bright moon. Not a thing was looking busy enough, and everypony was talking, unoccupied.

Brownie Hoof had arrived at Fluttershy's cottage door and knocked. It took a while, but Fluttershy opened the door, tears in her eyes. "Oh, hello Brownie Hoof."

At the state of Fluttershy, Brownie Hoof asked, "What happened to you?"

"I-it's nothing. It's just, poor Mr. Beaverton Beaverteeth died today because of an attack." Fluttershy muttered, descending her tone of voice, raising her hoof to wipe a tear away.

"What's that?" Brownie Hoof asked, pointing his ears up and at Fluttershy.

"Mr. Beaverton Beaverteeth died," Fluttershy whispered rapidly, not quickly enough.

"Oh, well, maybe I can attend to his funeral, if I'm not too late?" Brownie Hoof questioned, looking around for the poor beaver's grave.

"Oh, well, I was just about to start. You can join if you want," Fluttershy mumbled, happy that Brownie Hoof didn't take her for a fool. She trotted into her house, Brownie Hoof on her trail. Fluttershy locked the door and went out the back, also locking that door. She hovered along a trail, until a dirt pile was under her.

"Mr. Beaverton Beaverteeth, even though you were sometimes a bad beaver, you were always a good friend. I know you always shared your dam and your logs with other beavers just like you. Mr. Beaverton Beaverteeth, you always were, and will be, a kind, caring beaver." Fluttershy spoke trying not to cry, hovering above the beaver's grave and dropping a flower. Expectantly, she turned toward Brownie Hoof.

"What have I gotten myself into," Brownie Hoof mumbled under his breath, plucking a beautiful daisy and holding it in his hoof while looking down on Mr. Beaverton Beaverteeth's grave.

"Mr. Beaverton er, Beaverdam?" Brownie Hoof asked, looking at Fluttershy who was shaking her head, "Mr. Beaverton Beaverwood?" Another shake of the head from Fluttershy was granted in return. "Mr. Beaverton Beaverteeth?" Fluttershy smiled and nodded.

"Mr. Beaverton Beaverteeth, I may have not known you well, but from the words Fluttershy spoke, I believe you are a wonderful, gifted animal who had just died too soon. I hope you have a good rest and will come to watch over us someday, even if you aren't perfect." Brownie Hoof spoke, staring down at the grave and dropping the daisy over it.

The two ponies stood still in silence for thirty minutes. Not perfectly, because Brownie Hoof was pawing the ground and digging half the time. Somehow, he kept coming back to his conversation with Derpy earlier in the day. The voice was booming in his head like a drum. It just wasn't subtle, even though he was thinking she was right about 'a feeling'.

"Brownie Hoof, let's go inside my cottage now. I'll prepare a salad and lemonade for us." Fluttershy was whispering, next to Brownie Hoof so he would hear. He shook his head, and agreed to go inside.

"Do you want to talk? About anything?" Fluttershy mumbled, fidgeting with her salad, lemonade still full in the cup next to the food she was eating. Fluttershy was used to silence, but this was awkward. Very, much too awkward for her liking.

Brownie Hoof was shaken out of his thoughts by a fork clanging on his bowl of salad. He heard all Fluttershy had mumbled to break the ice, and was coming up with a topic. The first thing out of his head was, "Derpy?" On complete accident, of course.

"Why, um, sure. I don't know much about her, so why don't you start?" Fluttershy spoke, surprised about the subject. She didn't expect much, but why Derpy Hooves, the mail pony?

Brownie Hoof was snapped out of thought once again to hear exactly what Fluttershy had told him. "Dammit," He muttered, so quietly his nose wouldn't hear him. Brownie Hoof clumsily ate some of his salad, and drinking a little lemonade. The center of attention was currently Brownie Hoof, and at that point he couldn't change the subject.

After trying to speak a lie but to no avail, Brownie Hoof spoke the truth. "Me and Derpy were put in a trance at the Gala last night from those drinks." Brownie Hoof sighed, about to let most of his pride and dignity go. Just by saying a couple of sentences.

Fluttershy gasped, and opened her mouth to speak, but instead shut it to listen.

"Me and Derpy Hooves," Brownie Hoof gulped, "danced, and then k-you know what." Brownie Hoof corrected, speaking slowly, although stuttering, to let the words sink in.

"Today, we had a talk, and the feeling didn't end up being lost."

Fluttershy had her breath taken away, even though she just lost a fellow animal. "Wow, uh, nice story! Can we leave now? I, uh, have to feed my animals!" She flapped her wings and hovered a pony above the ground. Fluttershy was trying to escape, failing.

Brownie Hoof pulled Fluttershy's hanging tail and made her halt and fall to the ground. He put a hoof on her chest, stopping her from getting up. "Do you hate me for what I told you? Are you embarrassed?" Brownie Hoof asked, leaning towards Fluttershy and staring into her eye to find the truth.

"Uh, no. Wait, yes! Maybe? I don't know... Oh, please stop, that's scaring me," Fluttershy whimpered, turning her head so she wouldn't face him.

"Tell me the truth!" Brownie Hoof asked, slightly yelling and stomping his free front hoof on the ground next to Fluttershy.

"Oh, no! Wait, maybe... Yes? Uh, no! Yes, no!"

"Tell me! I know you must be lying!"

"Yes, I, uh, am not?"

"Tell me now!"

"Uh, no I am not!"

Brownie Hoof made Fluttershy faced him and they locked eyes, in an intense contest of the eyes. Brownie Hoof was staring deep into Fluttershy's soul, trying to make her say the truth. Fluttershy was defending, staring only into the pupils of Brownie Hoof's eyes, failing to make a direct contact into the depths of them.

It went longer than any of their other contests, Brownie Hoof and Fluttershy weren't giving up.

Finally, Fluttershy gave up, breaking the contact. She spoke, "Maybe just a little," and sighed, putting her head down, and dragging herself to the couch.

Unsurprised, Brownie Hoof walked over to the couch and sat down next to Fluttershy. "I'm not surprised you think so. I think I understand, so, if you can, don't say anything about the subject?" He pleaded, hoping Fluttershy would understand.

Luckily, Fluttershy understood, from a horrid memory she had about Rainbow Dash. "Oh of course I won't tell, I um, I Pinkie Promise!" Fluttershy did the correct motions, and spoke, "Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye!" Nodding at Brownie Hoof, he repeated, cautiously.

"Oh, good. Thank you tons for understanding. That could've gone worse. Do you know what I mean?" Brownie Hoof exclaimed, breaking the frost between him and Fluttershy.

"I know, of course I know. But still, I may have understood, but just you watch! I bet somepony isn't going to like what you told me." Fluttershy warned, Angel hopping onto her stomach. "Right, Angel?" She quickly added, seeing the white bunny nod, and growl in hunger. "I told you, I have to feed my animals!" Fluttershy finished, dashing off to go feed her animals.

Brownie Hoof took the sudden dash as a sign it was time to leave. Correct he was, as the sky was dark, illuminated by a friendly white moon who was staring down at him.

His dinner was a warm, toasty brownie served with clear water. He quickly lunged at the food gobbling it, and swallowing. The water was only half-drank before Brownie Hoof tossed it in the sink.

After taking a long, warm shower Brownie Hoof snuggled himself into the couch, flipping over the pillows and not using the blanket. "Tomorrow, that's when I'll change these beddings, and then I'll see about Derpy. She can be real-" He was interrupted by abrupt sleep, and off to Dreamland Brownie Hoof went.

When Luna's moon went down for the day, and Celestia raised the sun, Brownie Hoof was awoken by the clock. "I have to change this couch, but first I need more bits. Then I have to talk with Derpy, and finally, I have to start eating real food from the marketplace." He reminded himself, clumsily putting the thoughts in his brain.

With no breakfast, Brownie Hoof set out and set up his stand outside.

When Brownie Hoof was done, Twilight the purple pony caught his eye. She was walking towards him with one of her front hooves, giggling. "You do know that stands are only popular at the marketplace, right? When I say stands, I mean all stands. Vending machines, carts, stands, mostly everything!" She questioned, emphasizing her thoughts by speaking loudly.

When Twilight's words turned to rambling, Brownie Hoof was wheeling his cart to the marketplace. "I guess she was right! This place is a great way to sell my brownies! I'll have enough bits to get my new couch!"

Brownie Hoof's stand was popular that day, for many ponies and stallions came to buy brownies. Brownie Hoof was earning more money than he could handle, which could be small by other standards.

At sunset, a rich colorful group of colors filled the sky. That indicated Brownie Hoof to close down his stand and head over to Quills and Sofas. He still had to buy a couch, and his bits would probably be enough.

"This one is too small, and this one is way too-" Brownie Hoof started, looking around at couches. He hit one and it made him wince. "Bony." Brownie Hoof ended, pacing back and forth the store looking for a good couch he could afford. When a couch was good, Brownie Hoof couldn't afford it.

At last, after what was maybe hours of pacing, Brownie Hoof found a great couch he could afford. It would seat three people comfortably, didn't rock, and had a smooth, furry texture.

The stallion at the counter asked what Brownie Hoof wanted help with, adding in sales while rambling. "Hi, my name is Davenport. How may I help you?"

"Hi, my name is Brownie Hoof. I would like to buy a couch." Brownie Hoof replied, shaking the stallion's hoof.

"Alright then. Show me which couch and I will see if it's on sale. If it is, you pay me back here, sign this form, and then I will ship the couch to your cottage. Sound good?" Davenport explained, pulling the form out of a drawer along with a pen.

Brownie Hoof walked him over to the couch, and it was luckily on sale. There were two of those couches left. Brownie Hoof read the fine print on the form, signed, and payed.

"Thank you for your purchase," Davenport spoke, typing things on his computer. "Business has been going slow without many quills. Alright, your couch should be mailed in a week. I sent a truck from Canterlot's finest couch factories to bring your new couch. Have a good day!" He explained, pressing a final key on his keyboard and turning to Brownie Hoof.

Brownie Hoof happily cantered out of the store, walking around town for Derpy. She was n't in town, so he looked around in the fields around Ponyville. Derpy Hooves was sitting on a bench staring at the table which had a plate with two muffins and a pie. Sitting away from the two was a small plate with a brownie on it. She had been waiting for him.

"Hey Derpy!" Brownie Hoof yelled, trotting toward the bench.

Derpy Hooves looked up, and waved him to the table.

When Brownie Hoof took the opposite bench, Derpy asked, "Is it time we settle the incident?"

Brownie Hoof nodded, and muttered, "Yea, almost forgot about that."

"You didn't even come close," Derpy Hooves guessed, halfway reading his mind.

Brownie Hoof tried not to reveal anymore things, so he focused his eyes on Derpy's forehead, breaking the eye contact. "How does everyone read my mind," He muttered, under his breath.

Derpy Hooves strained her ears to hear Brownie Hoof, and replied, "You must be new here. If you get used to it, maybe it won't be so hard as to hide your feelings."

Brownie Hoof heard her clearly, and focused on making his feelings unclear.

It barely worked, as Derpy saw right through it. She didn't dare say so, as it would most likely hurt. "So, what do you think? About the incident." Derpy Hooves asked, choosing to switch her attention from Brownie Hoof's feelings.

Brownie Hoof coughed, thought some things in his head, and came up with, "Er...I decided on..."

"What?" Derpy Hooves asked, leaning closer and straining her ears. She tried to see his feelings but he covered them up.

"Feeling..." Brownie Hoof whispered under his breath.

"What did you say?" Derpy asked, leaning even closer and straining her ears harder.

"A...feeling..." Brownie Hoof murmured louder, looking into the wheat plants feet away to take his mind off the subject

Derpy Hooves was tired of repeating the same thing. She unexpectedly jumped over the table and pushed Brownie Hoof into the dirt. "I'm asking you one more time. What did you say?" She warned, putting a hoof on Brownie Hoof's body and staring at him sternly.

As Brownie Hoof worked up his courage, he thought back to home. "It would have been better there," Brownie Hoof muttered absently, finally earning his courage.

Gulping, Brownie Hoof spoke, blocking out all sound. "That feeling...you were right." He nearly escaped, Derpy holding him down to counter.

A long silence followed, for Derpy Hooves couldn't find an answer.

"Well then. You found an answer." Derpy Hooves spoke, raising her hoof off Brownie Hoof and rolling her crossed eyes. Looking silly was not some way to describe her at the moment.

Brownie Hoof was going to kill his brain after their conversation with the way it was headed. "Er, yeah." He still had mixed emotions, but it was becoming clear what his intentions were during the incident.

"If you want to settle this now, it's fine with me." Derpy Hooves still had to eat that muffin on the table. She looked at it to block her thoughts, which wasn't working.

"I've had enough of these conversations," Brownie Hoof told Derpy Hooves, making her turn around to face him again. He quickly added, "Let's settle this." While walking around Derpy and to the table.

Derpy Hooves cleared her mind of muffin distractions. She sat opposite of Brownie Hoof at the table, trying to focus. "You told me it was a feeling?"

The conversation was made up of mostly neutral words, sometimes angry, but usually with no hurt. It might have went on for thirty minutes, as the sky was only slightly different.

When the situation cleared up, Brownie Hoof finished off, "Wow." While relaxing far enough to make him fall off the bench.

Derpy Hooves giggled and ate her muffin. She watched Brownie Hoof sit back on his chair, and asked accidentally, "Do you want to go out?" And quickly added, "I mean, just to see how it turns out?"

Brownie Hoof didn't believe what Derpy Hooves just asked. "Come again?"

Derpy Hooves almost neglected Brownie Hoof, but instead repeated, "Do you want to go out to see how it turns out?"

Brownie Hoof had to hold his jaw so it didn't fall out. He agreed to go with some doubt. "Sure."

Even though Derpy Hooves was taken by surprise, she resolved to responding. "Meet me here sometime during the evening tomorrow."

Brownie Hoof shrugged, and walked off thinking about what happened.

By looking at Brownie Hoof, Derpy Hooves could tell she had taken him by storm. It was getting dark, and Derpy still had to go home. She flew home, spinning in midair a bit.