• Published 5th Sep 2013
  • 711 Views, 5 Comments

Students To Power: The Prophecies - Hyacintho Ignis



Intrigue surrounds power. Plans and plots surround intrigue. And now, two foals must survive the political repercussions of being hoofchosen by two very important ponies.

  • ...
0
 5
 711

Chapter One: Tested Bonds

Students To Power: The Prophecies
Chapter One: Tested Bonds

Written by: Hyacintho Ignis
Edited by: Unknown


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Present~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


An extensive building complex sat in the sunlight, the slanted steel roof reflecting the rays at anyone foolish enough to look upwards. A wrought iron fence encircled the entirety of the property and life went on outside the deserted school. The main gate was a masterpiece of crafts-work, of shining silver and strengthened steel. Standing guard over the gate, four soldiers looked out over the surrounding area. Two were dressed in the Lunar armor of old, while the others had Solar armor from the same age. The age in when two ponies created the school from close to nothing. With their imposing armors and the impressive structures behind them, the sight complete was one to draw the eye.

Amadeus and his father turned a corner to see a small crowd grouped around the gates. As they watched, two ponies and their foal were let through to begin the walk up to the entrance. Getting closer, he began to look closer at the foals who were either lining up or talking with their parents. Their attitudes matched their upbringings; full of pride, arrogance and pampering. Getting a feel for their auras, he could feel a few that had some strength to them, but the majority were far too weak. They might’ve been a threat if they had vivid and wild imaginations but their ideas could only carry them as far as their power.

Twilight had seen the crowd from a much further distance, walking down a hill from Upper Canterlot towards the school. She sniffed as if in disdain of those gathered around the gate, but each unicorn had a tic when feeling the auras of another. She could feel the weakness hidden behind all the blustering arrogance. Coming closer, Twilight could see a colt nearing the group with his father and reaching out, she could feel the reserves of power within him. It was far above anything she’d felt from the squabbling group and she touched her eyes with magic to get a look at him, only to find him staring right back.

Twilight and Amadeus locked eyes as they approached the end of the line from opposite sides. Their stares were laced with determination and a confidence that came from years of study, year of lonely imagining and a lifetime of magic. Closer again, Relius and Nightlight looked at each other and both gave a nod that was imperceptible to others. Within the final steps, Amadeus quickened his pace by a slight step and made it to the end of the line before Twilight. Relius stood to the right of his son while Nightlight and Velvet had their daughter between them.

Neither of them recognized the other, thinking the other to be another entrant. But was it happenstance that the two of them arrived within mere seconds of each other? Or were the makings of greater plans taking effect on every aspect of their life?

Since there was nothing to do except wait for the moment when he’d be able to go through the gates, Amadeus decided he’d see if he could get anything else from his father. He knew that this test would be daunting, and any knowledge he could get would be helpful. As for his partner... all he had to go on was a name...

“Hey dad, do you know anything about what I’ll have to do in this test?”

His father did not respond at first, his eyes transfixed on the school. There was something… off about Relius, something even Amadeus was frightened by. Finally, he spoke...

“The test is nothing major, you’ll be fine. You’ve covered most of the material without even knowing it. Chances are, most of those incompetent teachers know less on the subject matter than these inferior beings…” His voice trailed off before his gaze was broken. The sharpness in his eyes faded when he looked back to his son with a cheerful smile. “Sorry, I was thinking aloud again. Anyway, it’s not that hard. Just do your best and remember, you’re always my son.”

“Thanks, it’s good to know that the massive study you helped me with will pay off.” Amadeus gave an uneasy grin back at his father, all tension and nerves. Back at their house, the room belonging to Amadeus didn’t resemble a room. All the furniture was there, but it was buried under a mountain of books, most of which had been borrowed from the local library. “So… how well do you know the Headmaster? He was here when you went through, right?

“Oh, he and I know one another quite well.” Relius said with a ghost of a smile. “He may not want to admit it, but we were once students here at the same time. He was an upperclassmen, but was always very humble.”

“Really? You never mentioned that. If you knew him so well, why not get a job here?” Amadeus thought his logic was quite good. Friendly company, good money, enjoyable atmosphere. His viewpoint on the school however, was extremely limited. His father knew a bit more, but neither of them knew enough to piece together what reason the school had really been built for…

His father’s past, as well as his mother’s for that matter, was never discussed. Even now, Amadeus wondered if his father would give him a straight forward answer.

“We all have our reasons, Zero. I could never be an actual teacher here, I haven’t the time or patience for such things…” Relius replied with a smirk. “Now, I don’t want you act alarmed, but I do believe we have a little eavesdropper listening in on our conversation…”

The two of them turned to look behind them to see a purple filly jump in surprise as she was caught out. Her parents, who were both admiring the scenery, turned to look at Twilight with disapproving stares.

“S-s-sorry, I didn’t mean to b-be eavesdropping in o-on your c-conversation.” Her usually calm speech was broken with stutters as she kept swapping her gaze between the two of them. The stallions eyes were unnerving to look at, but the colt looked more like he was hurt at the invasion of their privacy.

“As well you should be. How would you like it if you were having a conversation with your parents and I was listening in? Hmm?” Amadeus had taken an unusually harsh tone into his voice and this newcomer looked to be on the verge of tears.

“Now, I don’t think that’s any way to speak to a young mare.” An older male’s voice was heard. Stepping beside their daughter, Nightlight and Velvet looked ever so offended by young colt attitude. “While you do have a point, it’s no reason to be rude.”

Relius simply chuckled as the two parents stepped up to defend their daughter. “My my, how interesting…”

Amadeus took another look at this filly to see her sniffling and rubbing her eyes with a hoof. He was angry that she’d been eavesdropping on them but he could see that she was younger then he was. “I’m sorry; I didn’t mean to be so harsh. It just slipped out. Sorry.”

The two of them relaxed slightly as they heard the statement, understanding that he really was sorry. Nightlight was the first to speak up as they all faced each other. “Well, I hope you won’t do it again. I’d rather you didn’t make my daughter cry.”

Nightlight and Velvet turned around to look at Twilight. This time, it was Velvet who spoke up. “Now that was a very silly thing to do dear. Here, look up, let me see your eyes.” Twilight looked up at her mother to see that smiling face and her sniffles died down.

“It’s alright Twilight. But that wasn’t the right thing to be doing. It’s rude to listen to other ponies conversations without their permission.” As Amadeus heard that name from this motherly mare, he straightened up suddenly like he’d had cold water splashed on him. His partner for the application test was to be one Twilight Sparkle. But how could this sniveling filly be good enough to enter PCSGU?

“Excuse me, I don’t mean to interrupt, or to be eavesdropping. But did you say her name was Twilight? Twilight Sparkle?”

Velvet and Nightlight looked at the boy, wondering how he knew their child’s name. “That’s right.” Nightlight spoke with a frown. “But how did you know?”

While this conversation and near-fight had been taking place, the line had moved forward to the point that they were all next for entering the campus. They’d held up the line and the guardsponies had to come down and get them. “Oy! You five! Come on let’s go, you’re holding up the line!”

They all jumped at the voice and turned to look at the guard with varying degrees of emotion. Amadeus called out to the guard and moved forward so that the guard could begin examining him. After doing so, he held out a hoof at the young colt. “You got papers, kid?”

Relius gave a cough and the buff Earth pony turned to give him a cold eye. “They are right here.”

Looking closely at the written print, the guard passed back the parchment after reading it and let Amadeus through. “You’re next sir, step up.”

With a minor laugh, Relius matched the guard’s stare tenfold, enough to even break his gaze. “My name is Relius Zero. The headmaster himself is expecting me and I would not wish to keep him waiting, friend.”

The Earth pony gave a start at the last part. Moving backwards, he bowed to Relius as he waved a hoof to the entrance. “I’m terribly sorry sir. I didn’t realize you were here to see Professor Magellan. Please, go right ahead.”

“Very well then.” Relius smiled, walking past the gates and into the garden. Under his breath however, he added. “Pray you never see me again…”

“Alright, step up you three.” His commanding tone came back as the guard waved Twilight and her parents forward. He began patting Twilight down, starting with her hooves and working his way up her body to the head. Finally giving her horn a quick tap to make sure it was real, he got her entrance papers from Velvet and waved Twilight through. “Next.”

Giving the same treatment to Nightlight and then to Velvet, they passed through the gate to re-join Twilight and the three of them caught up to Amadeus and his father just outside the main doors. A beautiful affair of both oak and mahogany, the doors were inlaid with golden and silver swirls. In the center of each door, a pony was etched and shown with a metal frame. The right depicted the regal Princess Celestia, in the act of raising the sun. The other, depicted the beautiful Princess Luna, in the act of lowering the moon.

“These doors are rather symbolic,” Relius began, “Their true meaning is actually debated. To some, they say that it is piece of history, the act of the two rulers of the bodily heavens exchanging roles as day and night fade into one another. Repeating endlessly, without breaking the cycle. Others say it’s symbolic of change, the advancement of magic, life, and all things that exist. I, however… well, it’s not important what I think. Tell me, son, what do you think?”

“They’re amazing.” Amadeus was breathless as he looked upon the imposing doorway. It seemed like a massive step forward in his life. The beginning of a whole new world.

“Actually, it’s been said these doors are supposed to be an unusual gateway. In the olden times, when a unicorn passed these doors, they would give off a humming sound that only the young could hear. It is believed that those that the doors hummed for, well, they would become one of the most important ponies in the world. They could change the course of history as it has been.” Nightlight spoke in a perfunctory tone, as if he were giving a lecture. His point was enough to make Amadeus and Twilight look at each other, both thinking about the other and their own potential.

Relius laughed loudly, turning back to face the apparent scholar. “Well said, Nightlight… It would appear that somepony has done a bit of reading on the matter. Tell me, call you name the constructor of the archway as well? Perhaps you would like to tell the story of Six Elements while you’re at it? Or rather… the Seven Sins.” He tone was oddly cheerful in a dark way, even if a bit challenging.

“Now wait just a minute, Relius! That is not something for young ears.” As Nightlight drew breath to continue and turn this into an argument that could’ve lasted for 3.14159 days, the doors took on a green hue as a unicorn’s magic took hold of them. They swung inwards without a sound, completely weightless, balanced on steel hinges. An older unicorn stepped forward, moving to meet the group. His white mane flowed down in curved lines, coupling with his foreign looking facial hair to give him a wise look. His coat was a dull gold and he wore a lab coat with one pocket and a monocle over his left eye.

His eyes rolled over the group from right to left, stopping at the end and widening slightly when he saw Relius.

“It’s been too long, my friend.” Rather than sounding friendly, his voice was as cold as ice as he regarded the grey stallion in front of him. “How long has it been? How long… since we last saw my sister? Your wife…”

With a strangely warm grin, Relius replied. “Not long enough, it would seem. I would assume it has been almost nine or so years, Magellan. Speaking of which,” he placed a hoof over Amadeus’s head, “This is my son… Lilia’s son.”

Amadeus gasped as he heard what his father said. His mom… the one who’d birthed him and simply left. Finally, after his constant asking and begging and pleading and crying, he finally had a name. He breathed the name. “Lilia…”

The professor however, was quite annoyed at the news and he looked down, staring at the lanky colt who’d been birthed from his sister’s blessed womb. He lowered his head until he was level with Amadeus who began to shake, staring back into Magellan’s deep black eyes. “And how is it… that right after you were born, that my sister suddenly disappeared? Did your father ever tell you, that your orange eyes were gifted to you by your mother?”

“Now now, Magellan… let’s save story-time for another day, shall we?” Relius chuckled warmly. “After all, he does have to get settled in here first. Then, I’m quite sure the two of you will get to bond properly. And please, don’t ask him too many questions about his mother…” For a split second, his voice became horrifyingly cold, even to the headmaster. “It’s not right for you blame a child for the father’s mistake.”

“What do you mean dad? What mistake?” Amadeus was a bit scared. His father had told him that the Headmaster was his friend. So why were they angry with each other? So… cold?

“Very well… Let’s get your ‘child’ settled inside.” Turning to look at Twilight and her family, he put on a warm smile and shook hooves with Nightlight and Velvet. “I’m sorry for the rather icy reception I put out. Relius and I are old friends, bonded by a rather twisted thread. Please do come in, we don’t want to keep the other judges waiting now eh?”

Nightlight gave a slight nod, nudging his wife and daughter to get them moving indoors. Relius also walked through with his son and Magellan was last, his magic grabbing the doors and readying to close them. As Twilight and Amadeus walked through, they began to hear a sound that rose in volume. As they passed the doors, a song could be heard. But only by the filly and only by the colt.

Listen good and listen well

For I am not one to ignore

Whether by thine or mine will

The fragile balance you must restore

One of blue and one of white

One of sun and brightest light

One of moon and darkest night

Both of these you will reunite

But beware of he in black

For evil things he will bring forth

From the dead they will come back

From the cold and unknown north


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Unknown~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


From the dead they will come back

From the cold and unknown north

The words rang around the dark room. Lit only by a rainbow fire that crackled cheerily in the fireplace, it’s light cast two eerie shadows from the two mares who sat before the fire. They rested on simple cushions that were grey with age.

“A song has never been sung before. Not even for us, when we created those beings.” The blue mare looked tired, her mane clinging to her form as she regarded the shifting fire.

“True, we must gather those two, set them on the right path.” The mare of white replied with a sad smile. “Come, let us leave this room to its destruction.”

Merely nodding in reply, the blue mare stood up, stretching her legs out. The white mare copied her actions, gathered her magic and the two of them disappeared.

The fire still crackled in the fireplace as the cushions were slowly swallowed by the encroaching darkness. Finally, before the light could be snuffed out, a single talon reached out and took the flame before it too disappeared and the room no longer existed.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Present~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Magellan and Relius entered a spacious office. A window overlooked the gardens while the inside wall was completely taken up by a single bookshelf. A desk sat at one end of the room and a collection of chairs were gathered around various tables. As Magellan went to sit behind the desk, Relius took a look back at the corridor they’d walked down, making sure it was deserted before closing the door.

“I must admit, Relius, I was quite surprised to get your letter. I know we both went here, we both passed with flying colors. But what I don’t understand is why you didn’t continue with it, I mean surely there was more you could’ve added to this.” The professors green magic held a simple piece of parchment and clearing his throat, he began to read.

To Mage-butt,

Magellan looked up from the scroll with an expressionless face. “I’m going to assume you were trying to be funny there, and I ignored your insult.”

I have a colt who has come of age, and he has an interest in the magical arts. Of course, he is a unicorn,

but his abilities are completely unknown. I would like for him to be enrolled at Princess Celestia’s School

for Gifted Unicorns as the final favor that you owe me after I saved your career and took the blame.

Do not mention anything about her to him and don’t think to ignore this letter. This is my final request to

you.

From Relius Zero
The Devil Bringer


Placing the parchment down on the desk, Magellan stared at the stallion before him. “Do you think to test my patience? If you had asked this of me and my sister was still alive, I would have replied and accepted without a doubt. But now? Now I have made things harder for him. He will never get into this school if he cannot pass!”

With a faint and yet friendly smile, Relius laughed. “You consider that test hard? I was assuming you were actually going to heed my final request. Amadeus is more than cable of passing such a pitiful trail. Now, what’s wrong with having him go here? He is your nephew, after all. A good boy at that.”

Relius looked away, placing a hoof on the bookshelf. “Look, I’m not asking as a former friend, or on my own behalf… I’m asking you for Lilia. She wanted nothing but the best for him. Please, Magellan, hear me out one last time.”

“Don’t you dare bring her into this!” Magellan yelled back, standing now as he stared over the desk at Relius. “You have no right to stand there and invoke her name! If you want your son to come here, then he can pass the test I have set for him! I will not simply let him in because I owe you a damned favor!”

“You were always blind to the truth,” Relius said calmly, “He has raw skill that exceeds his years and knowledge enough to rival your own. Amadeus is more than just a simple child… he is gifted with something far more... The real reason why I requested he be allowed in is because, just like his father, he is a little too wild with his magic at that age. There’s a very good chance somepony will die today. Or… have you forgotten the results of my own trial when I came here?”

“Skill? Gifted!? It is true that you not only succeeded at your trial, you destroyed almost half the school and killed a dozen ponies. It was I and a number of students and professors who fought the demon you’d summoned. But that… that thing! He has no real power. Oh, he is like you, wild with his supposed power. But he is also like Lilia, a smart individual who knew when something was too tough or required a different approach.” Magellan was now before Relius, the two standing a short distance apart as they traded words. But the professor had had enough of speaking. With his magic, he grasped the nearby tables and sent them hurtling at Relius, intent on sending him out the third story window.

“Die! Die you begotten bastard from Tartarus!”

The tables crashed into Relius with full force, but the stallion did not move. Their debris simply floated around the smiling unicorn. He was unharmed, as if nothing was done at all.

Tables?” Relius gave a gravelly laugh. “I was expecting more from you, Sword of Akasha… Where has your power faded off to?”

“Right here!” Marshaling his power, Magellan crafted a shining sword out of pure magic, containing the swirling mix in his green aura. “The Sword that saved the town of Akasha, far to the foreign lands of Saddle Arabia. The Demon Bringer, the fool of a stallion that brought forth *Ténebris from the depths.”

He crouched with his sword held close to his body before springing at his opponent. “Let us see who is the more powerful of us! Let us settle our rivalry, our hatred, right here! My sister will finally rest in peace with your death!!”

Relius stood his ground, or rather, opened his defenses wide, beckoning to be attacked as his horn flashed with a black aura. “Is that so? Then strike me.”

“Go back to your demonic masters!” Magellan brought the sword back, readying to cleave his opponent in two. As he brought the sword back, he focused his magic, encasing his torso in an ethereal green armor. Sweat ran down his neck as he kept the two spells balanced, running towards the waiting stallion.

Relius chuckled once more as he breathed out a single word, “*Lilith…

As Magellan swung his sword, sure that his armor would protect him, a perfect circle drew itself around Relius and a pentagram was inscribed in it with the grey stallion in the exact center. A black apparition formed and covered up a section of the bookcase. A sudden blur of black and blue appeared from its depths and rushed the professor, forcing him to block and ruining his attack.

Magellan jumped back, gaining distance on his newest opponent. “Damn… You simply had to wait. So who is it I face? Judging from the death black wings, coat and hair, the blue eyes and hair, I’d say you’re Lilith. The one mostly responsible for the demon race, subverting innocent stallions into planting their seed in you, creating demonic hybrids.”

“So, you’ve been reading up on demons now, Magellan?” Relius snickered at the armored stallion.

Magellan gave an icy grin, charging the demonic Pegasus. They met in a flurry of blows as sword met clawed hoof and sharpened wings met armor. This continued for a full minute before the professor pulled back, breathing hard with various gashes on his face and back legs.

Finally, unable to hold the spells any longer, Magellan’s armor and sword dissipated into the air. Taking a stone that had been attached to a hidden necklace, he breathed a quick apology to his deceased sister before ripping the stone off and swallowing it.

Throwing the now useless necklace to the ground, Magellan cut his hoof with his magic and drew a circle around him with his blood. But instead of the pentagram symbol used to summon demons, he merely drew a six-pointed star.

“For shame, Magellan, breaking that promise…” Without waiting for an order, the Lilith lunged forth with claws readied to rip apart her master’s opponent.

“Watch Relius, watch as I bring your defeat.” His horn blazed with green as a swirling white vortex appeared before him. A mare stepped out of the portal, her wings balancing two blocks, like a scale. Finally, the portal closed and Magellan slumped to the ground. “*Themis, defeat this demon, please.”

“You must rest, this was your first time calling on the Titans.” The crystalline Pegasus spoke smoothly and calmly. Turning back, she held her wings high and charged towards the demon. “By my righteousness, you shall be purged! Scum of the Earth!”

The Lilith rushed forth, before her wings flared back, sending out a wave of sharpened feathers at the holy being. While many of them did little to harm her, they managed to push her back, several striking her wings and scales in vital points. Before a full recovery could be made, the Lilith smashed her claws against the Themis’ wings in an attempt to shatter them.

Rearing up, the Themis swung her hooves in an attempt to catch the demon in the chest. Before making contact, the Lilith sprung backwards and disengaged. Spreading her wings wide, another rain of sharpened feathers rushed towards the titan. The Themis dodged the attack, placing the blocks in front of Magellan and protecting him.

“Your fate has been decided by justice. Return from whence you came!”

Charging the Lilith with an almighty roar, the Themis threw attack after attack. Without a chance to manoeuvre, the demon could only defend against the barrage. Finally, the titan managed to land her left hoof, sending the Lilith apparition through the window. Mid-air, the demon was sucked into a black vortex that had appeared and disappeared within two seconds. The Themis walked over and took the two stone weights, balancing them on her wings again.

“My task is finished. Best of luck to you.” Was all she said before stepping backwards and vanishing like the demon did.

Clapping his hooves, Relius approached the bleeding headmaster. “Well done, Magellan! I haven’t had such fun in years!” He said in a friendly tone. “Oh, but you’re bleeding, aren’t you? Tell me, does that hurt?

The only reply Magellan could make was to cough up some blood towards Relius. Making an effort to settle his breathing, he managed three words. “Go… away… demon.”

Demon?” Relius repeated, looking down at his once old friend. “I’m hurt you would call me that, Magellan. Even after I went through so much trouble to use a low level demon to play with you!”

His smile twisted into a sickening grin as his black aura grabbed the headmaster by his throat, lifting him up to be eye level with the Devil Bringer. “You have no sense of fun in you! No trust! I was going come here and apologize to you. Let my son finally meet his wonderful uncle. A stallion I once trusted my life to! This is the last time… Will we be friends once more, Mage?”

Choking from the lack of air, the beaten and bloodied stallion could only say one word. “...Yes…”

Dropping him on the ground, Relius stood over Magellan and smiled. “I’m glad you see things my way, Mage. I’ll start teaching here at the same time my son begins his classes. You’ll be making sure he gets the best treatment.”

Turning away, he began to make his way to the door before stopping a short distance away. He spoke once more under his breath. “Lilith… attend to Magellan’s wounds and… whatever else he... desires.”

Raising his voice, he addressed the wounded stallion again. “It’ll be nice having you back on my side, old friend. The right side.”

With that, the grey stallion left the room, the door opening and closing on its own accord.

Watching with a sense of horror and bewilderment, the very demon Magellan saw vanquished was now standing before him once more. However, it now had a much more beautiful face. She approached the headmaster with a faint smile, her wings flaring only once. In his mind, Magellan could hear the voice of the demon as she spoke to him...

“It is not wise to fight my master, old stallion. He is far beyond your skill or power to defeat. It is so much more pleasing to simply do as he asks… But he is not an unkind pony, I assure you that you will see in time. Now, let me see that wound…”

Author's Note:

Ténebris is Latin for Darkness.
Lilith - A female demon of the night who supposedly flies around searching for newborn children either to kidnap or strangle them. Also, she sleeps with men to seduce them into propagating demon sons.
Themis - An ancient Greek Titaness. She is described as ‘of good counsel’, being the embodiment of divine order, law, and custom. Themis means divine law.

Only two chapters in and we've already got a combat scene. Getting intense pretty quickly here. Hope it didn't feel too generic for you all.

Anyway, if you find grammar or spelling errors, let me know below.
If you have any questions, you can ask me below as well. Or send me a PM if you think it's important.

Inspiration can be found in many places. Mine stems from the philosophical, and the thrill of creating a world.

Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.
-George Bernard Shaw

Give a special thanks to Unknown as well!
~Hyacintho Ignis