• Published 5th Sep 2013
  • 711 Views, 5 Comments

Students To Power: The Prophecies - Hyacintho Ignis



Intrigue surrounds power. Plans and plots surround intrigue. And now, two foals must survive the political repercussions of being hoofchosen by two very important ponies.

  • ...
0
 5
 711

Chapter Three: First Moves and Final Tests

Students To Power: The Prophecies
Chapter Three: First Moves and Final Tests

Written by: Hyacintho Ignis
Edited by: Unknown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Present~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


The testing room had been undercut with tension when Relius entered the room, anger and fear joining it as Relius made his way over to his son. Everyone held their breath as Amadeus questioned his father, quickly followed by a fright and an even more sudden awkwardness. After they’d both spoken their piece, Relius and Amadeus embraced as father and son. Everything was forgiven.

Now the steel grey stallion stood next to his son as Nightlight stood next to his daughter. Velvet remained with the medics, conversing with them about an unknown issue. The small group of families had not moved from their spot by the wall and the eight guards had been checked out. Two of them were currently being taken to ER, replacements were being found and the rest had taken up positions around the circle. Professors Seeker and Prismic stood before the two stallions and the two foals, readying the young for their final test.

“The deciding test will be between Twilight Sparkle and Amadeus Zero, the victors of the previous fight. Do either of you have any objections?” Twilight and Amadeus both shook their heads while Relius smiled, glad that his son had emerged victorious. Nightlight was the only one to speak up.

"Yes, I have an objection! How can you allow this to happen? Orders or not, our children deserve a rest if they're to battle one another! What kind of sick game is this to you ponies?!"

Prismic raised a hoof in a gesture to calm Nightlight. “Sir, calm down. I assure you, this is not a game to us. The professors and teachers here at PCSGU do their best to provide-”

Nightlight was shaking with anger as he interrupted the professor. “You can assure me!? My daughter almost died in that fight! Where were your assurances then!?

Seeker stepped forward, placing herself at an angle to the fuming stallion. “For every other entrance test since the opening of this school, we’ve-”

“”You’ve what?” Relius cut him off. “In over thirty cases in the past two years, your so called ‘students’ have died in this mockery of a test. I’ve spoken with headmaster himself and he has already agreed that this final act is unnecessary! So, shall we put an end to this little game? My son has more than proven himself worthy of this school, if not more so than yourself.”

“Sir, as I said earlier, this is not a game to us. We do our best to ensure each and every student is treated equally. In fact, it was Professor Magellan himself who’d placed the order to change the test conditions. He didn’t tell us anything except that it came with the highest authority.” The two professors faced off against the fathers, anger and distrust filled the air. Twilight and Amadeus were at the figurative center of the heated discussion between the four. So, they looked hard at each other and each gave a terse nod before speaking up.

“This isn’t a game to any of us, least of all Twilight and myself. We’re here to fight for our future, not to argue with each other.” Amadeus spoke first, his voice perfectly neutral as he continued. “I do not care who changed what, or who is to blame. What I care about, is finishing this test, and entering PCSGU as a fully-fledged student.”

“Ah, you think you could actually win against me? If you’re so eager to lose, I’ll fight you right now. Otherwise, you could take this chance to rest.” Twilight’s goal right now was to taunt Amadeus into anger, cloud his judgement. But Amadeus would not be swayed so easily.

“Looking at the situation, Twilight, I’m certain that you would be the one to lose. Can we begin the final test now? Or would you all like to argue about moralities?” Addressing the four adults, Amadeus spoke beyond his years, showing a side that scared all but Relius. He’d known of his son’s knowledge and general ability, but not what Amadeus could actually do. He couldn’t know, or believe, what would happen if his son continued down this path.

They all shook their heads and Prismic offered four silver bands to each foal. “Good luck to both of you.”

Placing the band upon their legs, Amadeus and Twilight then proceeded out into the center of the circle once again. Facing each other with a few steps distance between them, they seemed to represent two sides, two forces, two differences. The torches were extinguished by the professors and Seeker called out for them to begin.

They didn’t begin immediately. They stood for several seconds, each looking into the other’s eyes. Amadeus broke the silence first with a confident taunt. “You think you’re ready for this, Twilight?”

“I could ask you the same thing... Zero!” Twilight’s horn shimmered into action as she attacked first. She drew her magic together, creating a cat familiar that jumped at Amadeus. He responded with his own magic, slamming the cat into the ground with a tentacle of magic. Both disappeared as Amadeus smirked at Twilight.

“And here I thought you were the defensive one. But surely you can do better than that.” Amadeus went on the offensive, firing beams in different bursts. Twilight threw up a dual-layered shield, attempting to retaliate by throwing spherical constructs over the shielding. Increasing his output, Amadeus felt the spheres impact against his own shield as he raised it.

For thirteen seconds, Twilight and Amadeus held their ground against each other. Then Amadeus’ shield broke under the onslaught. As the auric spheres rained down, Amadeus jumped to the right to get clear of the attack.

“Twilight, how about we heat things up a bit?” Focusing on his cheeks, Amadeus took in a deep breath, feeling the bulge in his chest. Heat swelled up through his body and the magic he’d focused on his cheeks turned his breath into a blast of fire which covered the entire front of Twilight’s shields.

“I prefer the cooler air myself, Zero.” Twilight’s horn flared up and a full circle of water formed over Amadeus, drenching him and his flame. She dropped her shields and smiled cutely. “Aww, you’re all wet. Want me to dry you off?”

Following through with her statement, a gust of magic-induced wind buffeted Amadeus. His sopping wet mane was spiked upwards and his tail was more of a solid extension. He glared angrily at Twilight as he felt his coat go all poofy. “You want cold? Try this then.”

A thick fog began emanating from Amadeus’ horn to cover the floor beneath them. Pushing up against the entirety of the barrier and rolling back in on itself, the fog cover was large enough that only Twilight’s head could be seen while the upper half of Amadeus’ body was uncovered. Their breath crystallized before them and even the ponies outside the barrier could feel the cold. Nightlight shivered slightly as he watched the fog shroud his view of the fight and he turned to Relius.

“You son is quite the fighter, Relius. But I guess he gets that from you.”

“Actually, that’s not quite true.” Relius chuckled, paying no mind to the cold. “He actually gets it from his mother. She was always very strong willed and a bit hot headed at times… It’s truly a shame she’s not with us anymore.” His tone was low, almost breaking his warm appearance, but it was quickly dismissed. “But, she would be proud to see him now, following in our steps and making friends.”

“I don’t think they’re trying to be friends…” Nightlight winced as another bright flash came from within the barrier, showing icicles flying around the two foals.

Relius disregarded the remark with a smile. “Friends come from the strangest places, and love even stranger still. Trust me, Nightlight, a rival can be your closest friend.”

“Sun Tzu, very nice. Oh, I’m sorry about your wife as well. I hope you get to meet her again someday.” Nightlight’s tone was sincere as he talked with Relius, not wanting competition or harsh words to come forward. ‘Better to have a friend you can see, than an enemy you can’t.’

“Believe me, one day I shall.” Relius replied quietly, forcing another smile after looking up. “But let’s not dwell on the past. There’s nothing that can be done about it at this time.”

The fighting had stopped for a moment as both Amadeus and Twilight gathered themselves. Fighting with the elements and various constructs had taken its toll on the both of them. Both professors were taking notes, their pencils moving furiously against the paper. Their heads were bowed to the sheets so they missed the action that followed next.

The two foals stood a good distance apart and Twilight stood closer to the barrier then Amadeus did. Faring slightly better than her opponent, Twilight was still breathing heavily from her constant dodging. Seeing Amadeus’ body quaking slightly, she gave a devious smile.

“Are you out of energy already, Zero? What happened to all your talk?” Amadeus looked up and gave a look that could kill if he knew the proper spell for it. It was basic knowledge for any unicorn that the extent of what they could craft was limited by their imagination. Often, various physical items would be needed to augment the magical side, or using outlines drawn with chalk which is commonly known as performing Alchemy. Amadeus’ mind was working overtime, going through all these different facts when he found a particularly strange one.

“I stand by what I said, Twilight. You won’t beat me, and I’ll PROVE IT TO YOU!” Using his knowledge, Amadeus turned his simple speech into a soundwave, knocking Twilight off her hooves to send her skidding to the base of the barrier. Giving a triumphant smirk, Amadeus took several steps towards the apparently unmoving filly. “What’s the matter? Get up, Twilight, show me how you were going to force my words back down my throat.”

Twilight was moving, she was shaking with anger. The shame of being caught like that hurt as much as the blow itself. Standing up, she was still looking at the ground when she had an idea.

“Come on, Twii,” Amadeus spoke the nickname in a cutesy voice, trying to further inflame her anger, “Surely you can still atta-” Amadeus stopped talking as a sudden blur past by him and he turned to see a piece of masonry stuck in the barrier. Everyone but Twilight was open-mouthed as a red line formed on Amadeus’ face and he reached up to touch it. His touch stung for a second as he drew a hoof along the cut and held it in front of him, watching the sticky red liquid pool and run down his foreleg.

His anger increased with every drop of blood that exited his body, taking his reasoning with it. He crafted an auric guard around his hoof like he’d seen Shine do and he slammed it into the group. Bending his aura to the ground at the same time, Amadeus forced up multiple pieces of marble that hovered around him. Twilight saw this and immediately followed, simply choosing to rip her ammunition straight out of the ground.

Seeker had just finished taking his notes as he looked up to see them squaring off again. As he touched pencil to paper yet again, the tip snapped and the sound carried more than one would expect. She heard multiple smacks and what sounded like wet clothes hitting the floor as Amadeus and Twilight let fly and continued to rip up the floor in their attempts to defeat the other.

Their impromptu missiles either collided in the middle or continued on to hit the barrier surrounding them. Twilight was hit twice, once to the left foreleg and once to the right side of her chest. Amadeus had also taken two more attacks, one to his right hind leg and one to his left foreleg. A fine dust filled the air from all the colliding masonry and it obscured their vision and restricted their breathing.

Silence rushed in the fill the void as Twilight and Amadeus froze mid attack. None of the spectators or guards could see them, assuming they were still fighting within the haze. No matter how much either of them strained, neither of them could break free of what held them. There were no marks on their body and there wasn’t the telling sign of magic. It was if they were stuck in both time and space. Two voices sounded in their heads, neither of them belonged to them, and it seemed as if the voices were continuing a discussion.

“The first of the conditions have been met, S.”

“Indeed, I see no reason to wait any longer, P.”

“Very well, let us release their restraints.”

“Yes, let us see how they fair.”

The voices and their bindings were released and Amadeus and Twilight dropped the jagged masonry they’d been holding. The dust surrounding them dissipated, giving everyone a clear view of what happened next.

Amadeus and Twilight both felt warmth blossom and spread across their bodies, their minds going blank of everything save the connection to their magic. Suddenly, their bodies were lined with black as all the injuries sustained by both of them were healed. Tendrils of pure magic lashed out around them, colliding and mixing together in a deadly dance. They shattered the barrier and continued to flail around, instantly killing two guards.

Prismic teleported over to the doors, forcing them open as Seeker ran over to the group of families who were huddled against the wall in fear. “Everyone out! Get out into the hall!”

That was enough to get colts, fillies, mares and stallions up and running for the doors in an attempt to escape. The guards were putting up defences, valiantly trying to protect the civilians from being swept up in the carnage. Nightlight and Relius were some of the last to leave the room with Seeker and Prismic closing and reinforcing the doors behind them.

Nightlight tried to keep his voice level and his body under control as he stood with Relius and Velvet. He noted that another guard was missing and that cracks were beginning to show along the walls.

“What in the world is happening to those two? Relius, did you teach your son any of this?”


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Earlier Today~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


In the upper end of Canterlot, a fair distance from the school, a restaurant was open for business. Typical of Equestrian high society, the amount of opulent furniture, decadent foods and general wealth was quite high. However, this one was more opulent, decadent and more wealthy than any other restaurant in Canterlot. This wasn’t due to its five star service, or the formal atmosphere it presented to its customers, but because of what it kept secret from the rest of the world.

An Earth pony stood out the front of the restaurant, his fur coat flapping in the stiff breeze that had gotten stronger over the day. He’d been the first to arrive at the appointed time of ten past one and none of the others had given the same courtesy, leaving him to wait alone in the cold. His gray amber coat stood out from the white fur around his torso and azure eyes looked out at the crowd, looking for whoever he was meeting.

Finally, at fifteen minutes to two, a Unicorn made his way up the steps to the restaurant and stopped beside the Earth Pony, each facing the other direction. His coat was a light gray and he wore a fashionable jacket of black and blue. His own azure eyes were scanning the building as they’d been doing for the past twenty minutes.

“He’s still not here yet?” The Unicorn spoke first, his tone was easy but with the force of authority behind it. “I would’ve thought he’d be the first to arrive, being ‘royalty’ and everything that that implies.”

The Earth Pony gave a snort of derision. “You’re not really one to talk, Fancy Pants. You were late yourself.”

The Unicorn in question, Fancy Pants, turned around and raised a single eyebrow at his companion. “You must be blind as well as filthy… I don’t even know why you’re here.” The amount of cautious respect he’d built up disappeared as he regarded his fellow businesspony. The reputation surrounding this ‘vicious’ stallion had been built on rumors of marefia connections and a ruthless attitude towards his competition. Maybe it was just rumors. Maybe it wasn’t.

“If you want to keep your life, don’t use my first name.” The Earth Pony scowled darkly at Fancy Pants, almost snarling as he issued the threat.

“Very well then, Mr. Rich, but be careful whom you talk to like that. You’re not the only one who has connections.” Fancy stood calmly against the angry Filthy Rich, not showing the irritation that he’d gained in the past minute.

“And the one with the most connections, would be me. And don’t you squabbling nobles forget it.” A third voice entered the discussion, belonging to a white unicorn whose walk exuded arrogance and self-worth. His golden mane was combed over and held back with gel, and his arctic blue eyes were filled with contempt.

“Ah, we’re both so glad you could make it, Prince Blueblood.” Fancy inclined his head in respect and gave a meaningful glance at Filthy Rich. ’Bow, or he will make you,’ it said.

Filthy Rich bent his head lower than Fancy had before greeting the prince. “Welcome, Prince Blueblood. Now that we are all here, will the two of you show me what all the fuss is about?”

“And the only reason you’re even getting to know about this place, is because of your association with Fancy Pants and myself. Now, come along, this weather isn’t doing any good to my coat.” With that snide remark, Blueblood turned from the duo and walked inside, not bothering to wait for them as he passed through the gold lined doors.

“What a jackass.” Filthy Rich broke the silence and the two of them slowly walked up to the doors.

Fancy gave a tight smile at the insult. He could’ve used more descriptive language and still not come close to describing Blueblood. “I’ll take you up to the top level, otherwise you wouldn’t be able to get in.”

Scowling again, Filthy fell back until he was slightly behind Fancy as he was led up to the third floor, passing the increasing amounts of wealth and opulence. Finally, the two of them stopped in front of the center support pillar on the third floor and Fancy muttered a quick sentence. “Secrets are our language, currency is our blood, life is our excitement.”

And just like that, he walked into the pillar, passing through it like it wasn’t there. Filthy blinked once, and again, suddenly seeing Fancy’s head sticking out. “Are you coming in or not?”

Rich’s scowl grew even deeper, much to the amusement of Fancy who’d disappeared back through the wall and had started climbing the staircase. Muttering the passcode, Filthy walked through and followed Fancy up the stairs. Stopping before two extremely buff Earth Ponies, they repeated the code and Fancy showed them two pure white cards.

“Welcome gentlemen, enjoy your time here.” Each of the two Earth Ponies pushed open their respective door, and the duo passed into the room to see a scene entirely unlike the last three levels.

There was a bouncy beat playing through the speaker system that had been discreetly installed as to be invisible, which immediately elevated the heart rate slightly. The serving ponies who wore tight fitting tuxedos and had an air of professionalism about them had been replaced with mares in risque outfits, serving customers in more ways than one. The drinks were plentiful, the furniture was informal and comfortable, and the company was more of the pleasurable kind. But for now, there was a discussion to be had.

“Ah, there’s our host. Let’s join him, shall we?” Fancy pointed to Blueblood who was reclined on a couch, two mares under each foreleg and a drink in his aura that he was sipping slowly.

“Took you both long enough to get up here. You ladies can leave now.” Sitting up, the two mares left and went over to the other side of this erotic paradise. Taking another sip, he leaned forward and waved a hoof at the seats around the glass table in front of him. “Take a seat, and we’ll talk.”

Rich took a moment to consider the seating, or rather, lack there off. Aside from the couch, which he guessed must have to be cleaned every hour or so considering the type of place they were in, the other piece was a chair. A rather oddly designed chair that seemed to suggest something he’d rather not find out later. Taking the lesser of the two evils, he sat on the couch, away from the Prince, leaving the chair for Fancy.

“Alright, we’re all here.” Rich stated in a almost annoyed tone. “What is this really about?”

“Watch where you sit and what you say, Filthy, you might mark my coat.” Blueblood’s arrogance had only increased while he had waited for them to arrive. Finishing his drink, he crushed the empty glass into dust and used his magic to alter the table’s face. “Take a look, these are the events currently conspiring today at our research site, where all our money is going.”

The table’s surface fogged up and cleared to show two different scenes. In one, a fight was taking place between two ponies who were trapped from moving by a barrier. In the other, a massive lab filled with gray dots and moving unicorns was shown. A particular piece in the second scene, was a group of ponies herding a single massive beast into the center of the pristine lab.

“This… is this some sort of joke?” Rich responded in anger. “I know you’re one for games, but I am not. Get to the point… before I decide this isn’t worth my time.”

Fancy, in response, tried to ease his fellow colleague. “Now, now, Rich. Let’s hear him out.”

Blueblood smirked at Rich’s outburst, his eyes glinting with irritation at this… peasentish noble. “I understand that you are from Ponyville, Filthy, but that cannot mean that you are this stupid.” He turned his eyes back to the table, watching the two scenes unfold.

“Stupid?” Rich’s voice was almost at a yell, the music loud enough to stop it from carrying to the rest of the room but not to the nearby tables. “Let’s get two things straight Blueblood. Firstly, you don’t have the right to insult me, so I suggest you stop before someone gets hurt.” Blueblood’s eyes lit up with anger as Rich stood up to deliver his finish.

“Secondly, you don’t get to use my first name. It’s Rich, or there’ll be problems… Ashley...” Fancy choked on his drink at the name. Now he understood why no one knew him by his first name, only by the title of ‘Prince’ Blueblood. He filed the name away and kept his face expressionless as Blueblood glanced at him with a tricky look in his eyes.

“... Rich…” Blueblood’s voice was low with a dangerous tone, “... I suggest you be careful. You never know what might happen to your family otherwise.”

Fancy was feeling decidedly uncomfortable. What was supposed to be a meeting to update their information had degenerated into threats and looked as if it would become open violence. He needed to diffuse the situation before that happened. Adopting an air of boredom, Fancy sighed and signalled to a mare who was walking past. “We’re almost done here, do me a favor and prepare one of the private rooms.”

The mare raised an eyebrow, noting where he sat in the group. “You don’t want it here?”

Fancy simply gave her a disinterested stare and the mare bowed and apologised before walking off to talk with the barpony. Looking back over to Blueblood and Rich, he found them both staring at him. “Is there a problem here, or are we going to get on with this so I can have my fun?”

Blueblood smirked and sat back in his seat. “So it’s true that Fleur is just a trophy for you, eh?”

“She knows what I do, Blueblood, so don’t go thinking you have an angle on me. Now, did you call this meet just to endanger all of us, or is there something to discuss?”

“Learn some respect Fancy, particularly when it comes to matters like these.” Wiping the table face clean, Blueblood used his magic again to have two stacks of documents appear on the table. At the same time, Fancy smirked, not because he was happy, but because a cold amusement pooled inside him.

“I’m not sure that you need the respect, Blueblood. But how about we get the information and leave our animosity here. Does that sound like a good idea to both of you?” Fancy looked to the both of them, Rich giving a terse nod and Blueblood sniffing in disdain. He took the top paper in his aura and began reading it and Blueblood realised he’d lost control of the meeting.

“Over the past six years, our money has been funding a genetics and magical mutation research lab as well as going towards ensuring the legitimacy of the operation. The money has also been put to funding the expeditions required to gather test subjects and having appropriate staffing on site. There are four of us in total, Fancy, Filthy, myself and one other.”

“So where is this other then? Why are we not privy to our fourth?” Rich spoke what was on both Fancy’s and his own mind. If there was someone out there who knew them, but was unknown, then that was a dangerous thing indeed.

“He’s not from Equestria, that I know. All I do know, is that he sends payments that are twice as large as your own.” Blueblood waved a hoof in the air as if ridding himself of an annoying insect and tapped the two piles of document that were still on the table.

“These contain everything that’s happened over the past six months, including our varyingly latest attempts from creating a Griffin-Unicorn hybrid to nullifying the effects of manticore venom,” He gave a tight smile to the two stallions, “So, that’s what our money is doing. As for where it is… it is a very prestigious and well known location...”


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Present~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Meanwhile, as the battle raged and the political machinations of nobles were taking place, the Royal Court was being held at the castle. Light filtered in through the stained glass windows that showed the achievements of ponykind since The Celestial Sisters had come into rule. The heavy satin curtains had been pulled back and a single guard stood on each side of each window. Totalling sixty-four, they were Celestia’s elite guard. But today, they were just here to keep the nobles in check as they made their various petitions to the Princess.

“Good day, Your Highness. As you might already know, the water shortage in Phillydelphia…” The noble who was currently presenting was talking about the latest water shortage, but Celestia had tuned him out. She simply nodded or gave a light word or two when she knew, from millennia of experience, a response was needed.

Just as the noble was about to finish his speech, the doors to the throne room burst open. The reactions from the rooms occupants were different; scared, defensive, relief... and dread. Celestia sighed as she watched her sister, Luna, enter the room with a small contingent of her own guard. Their darkened blue armor and Thestral wings were a stark contrast to the gleaming gold and Pegasus wings of Celestia’s own guard.

“Sister, what is it that brings you to my court at this time when you would be abed? Has something happened?” Celestia’s voice was perfectly neutral, but still managing to convey a multitude of emotions and a slight sense of resignedness to her sister.

Luna locked eyes with her sister as a grave look overtook her features. “Celestia, there’s something… something’s wrong. Does thou not sense it?”

As Luna mentioned this ‘wrongness’, Celestia became aware of an itchy feeling at the base of her skull. Her horn glimmered gold as she cast a sight spell. In her mind’s eye, she could see Twilight and Amadeus as they somehow fought with unrestrained magic. Snapping back to herself, she stood up from the throne and walked down the stairs, issuing orders.

“Today’s Royal Court is cancelled. Guards, escort the nobles from the castle grounds and ensure that none of them are left behind. Captain Lathspell, gather a unit of unicorns and meet Luna’s contingent at PCSGU to contain the situation. Luna, we need to get into the room and stop the fight.” As ponies rushed to follow Celestia’s orders, Luna met her sister partway, thinking about the situation at hoof.

“We canst simply teleport into the room itself, the danger of being hit by stray magic is too high”

“The guards would have evacuated everyone into the hallway, we should go there and inform them that we are going to step in and stop the fight.

“It wouldst take far too long to talk to them, and we’re wasting time here as it is.” Luna cast a sight spell for herself, seeing the magic used by the two foals become more powerful and wilder while somehow being focused on each other. ’Are they still conscious of the fight between them? No child should have that much power, let alone it flow through them without damage.’

Noting another entrance, Luna ended the sight spell. “Celestia, there’s a hole in the vaulted roof. We couldst enter through there after properly protecting ourselves after teleporting.”

“Indeed. Very well, let us stop this before it consumes the two foals and the proving grounds.” Gathering her magic, Celestia cast the teleportation spell, leaving not a sign of Luna or herself.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Testing Room~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Twilight and Amadeus were actually not in total control of their magic as it raged through the room. They remained conscious and vaguely aware of how the tentacles roped and collided with each other, causing shockwaves and destroying the building. Holes were torn in both the roof and walls but neither of them cared.

A tentacle lunged at Amadeus and he forced one to swing in front of him to deflect it. The resulting collision formed a shockwave that again weakened the building and the deflected tentacle smashed through the wall behind and slightly to the right of Amadeus. Wondering if he could talk, having this out-of-body sensation as magic raced through his whole body, he projected his thoughts towards Twilight.

”So, what do you think? Ready to give up, Twilight?.” He didn’t see Twilight’s ears perk up, but he heard her reply in the same way he talked.

”I wasn’t planning to anytime soon, Amadeus. How about you?”

”Not until I’m the one who stands victorious, no.”

And so the magic of the two foals continued to rage on as more and more power flowed through their bodies. Neither of them spoke again, having reached an understanding between them. There was a flash of light from beyond one of the holes in the roof but neither Twilight or Amadeus paid attention to it.

The flash signalled the appearance of Luna and Celestia upon completion of the teleportation spell. The two of them looked into the room and rapidly stepped back as a rogue tentacle thrust up through the hole, destroying the spot were they were standing a second ago.

’It almost seems as if their own magic is aware. Like it has a life of its own. What is it about these two that makes them so powerful?’ Celestia was musing over the situation when she was brought back to her senses by Luna snapping at her.

“Celestia! Make ready so we can stop this fight, before not even we can contain it.” Luna’s entire body was surrounded by a glowing outline, showing the amount of power she’d put into shielding her body. It steadily grew brighter and brighter as the seconds ticked by and Celestia shook her head clear of her musings. Gathering her own power, Celestia covered her own body with a glowing outline, forcing more magic to the fore than Luna.

“Alright, let us put a stop to this. Then we shall have to figure out why this is happening.” Their bodies now nothing more than bright lights that blotted out their figures, Luna and Celestia flew a short distance into the air before diving into the hole.

The two foals had once again felt an increase in power as the magic flowed through their bodies to take shape. Some of the tentacles had gained different forms, some were weapons, others were like walls. They were in the midst of trading what blows they could when a blinding light burst forth from a hole in the roof and its sources came to rest between Amadeus and Twilight. The four of them hovered in the air, Celestia facing Twilight and Luna facing Amadeus.

The raw magic that filled the room had stilled, as if analysing these new life forms. Before either princess could blink, the magic of the two foals moved towards them at a speed previously undisplayed. Smashing into the two balls of light, the magic was unable to penetrate them and simply moved to completely surround them. It searched for any opening it could use, a mere sliver of a gap that would allow it to obliterate these powerful beings.

“ENOUGH!” The two princesses used their Royal Voices and pushed their magic outwards, driving back the malevolent, swirling darkness that had surrounded them. As their barriers passed over Amadeus and Twilight, they were rendered unconscious and the magic that had been emanating from them dissipated.

Before they could fall to the ground, Celestia and Luna swept the two foals up in their respective auras, lowering them to the ground slowly. They let their own defences dissipate and they stopped hovering to fall a short distance to the floor. The princesses stood together, the foals in front of them unmoving except for the irregular movements of their chests.

Celestia looked around the room, noting the destruction caused by the fight. Holes had been ripped in the roof and walls and cracks ran through the entirety of the room like a never ending spiderweb. Debris was stacked in ragged piles or embedded in the floor and walls and she was sure there was damage to other rooms as well.

“Now wouldst you like to inform those who’re in the adjoining room? I’m intrigued as to how they managed to flee from the wild magic of these two.” Luna’s tone was firm and questioning as she had viewed the destruction of the room from a slightly different angle using a replay spell. In her mind’s eye, she could see the fight unfold. She frowned as she watched the fight seem to pause for a few seconds before the foal’s magic overtook them.

Celestia nodded to Luna and the two of them took up the foals and with Celestia carrying Twilight and Luna carrying Amadeus, they walked to the double doors that were the only real entrance into the room. Opening them, they were greeted with the scene of two stallions talking, a group of families cowering against a wall, and the professors and guards standing back from the door. Velvet was nowhere to be seen.

Professor Seeker was the first of the group to speak up, rushing quickly to the princesses. “Your Highnesses, what happened?” She asked, before remembering herself and bowing before the monarchs. As the guards heard of the princesses entrance, they looked up from what they were doing and quickly bowed. “What was that... that thing!?” Seeker was trembling greatly, as were many in the hall.

Prismic was the next to join in, his legs almost knocking together in fear. “I-It was like nothing I’ve ever seen! That shouldn’t be possible, it can’t be possible! It just can’t!”

Celestia raised a hoof, stopping the two professors from saying more. Barely raising her voice so that everyone could hear her, she took a half step forward. “Everyone, you can rest easy now. Luna and I have stopped the fight between these two foals, and we shall be keeping a close eye on them.”

Nightlight and Relius looked over as Celestia and Luna took control of the scene, the two of them giving off a calming presence. Rather then rush up to them, they decided to stay back from the conversation and wait until the princesses wished to deal with them.

Luna then stepped forward as well, looking to the guards who were yet to come out of their bow. “Soldiers, thou art five in number. I soon found out that the other three of your number were killed in the line of duty, defending these innocent ponies. I thank you for your services and that you continue to do your finest. Please, stand up and accept my gratitude, and the honor of my magic.” The five guards lined up and one at a time, Luna touched her horn to their own, sending a single magical spark down each one. The guards felt invigorated and their fatigue fell away.

She turned back to the professors raising an eyebrow as she looked at their trembling bodies. “Couldst thou join me a short way down the hall, I wish to have a word with thee.” The professors simply nodded, not sure of what to say or what would be said as the princess led them a short ways down the hall.

Celestia, having calmed the group of families that had taken up one side of the hall, turned to Nightlight and Relius. She’d taken Amadeus from Luna and with her aura, laid the foals down in front of their respective fathers. “I would have prefered it if you two would have simply left well enough alone. Devil Bringer, Knowledge Seeker, the both of you have caused Luna and I no small amount of problems over your lifetimes. Now tell me, why is it that your foals are able to unlock the two Physimage gates? Or do neither of you know of them?”

“I know of only one, but I had no idea Twilight was powerful enough to open it. It takes so much power to open the very gate that limits you, she would have to be stronger than I am.” He started, looking slightly shocked. “The Physimage gates are such mysterious things, they reside in each of us, unicorn or otherwise, and keep us from attaining our full potential. They-”

“They’re just used to show the power that each pony contains. Why else would you ‘Alicorns’ be capable of opening the gates at will? If not to keep your own authority, then certainly to show your own power.” Relius’ words had a touch of venom to them, as his views on these ‘perfect beings’ weren’t of their benevolence or leadership.

“You should watch what you say when you speak to my sister. I may be more tolerant of my beloved subjects, but she is much less so. If you’d like to hear me out, then let me speak, otherwise I shall not let either of these foals into my school.”

“I will hear you out, for Twilight’s sake. She deserves this more than anyone.” Nightlight said confidently.

“You think that your daughter has even the slightest chance of not getting in? You could probably get her into this school with the right words in someone’s ear. Amadeus and I had to fight every step just to get him here, and I’ll be damned if I can’t get him over this last hurdle now. I’ll listen to you, Sun Warrior, if you can help my son.” Relius’ words to Nightlight had an icy anger to them, as if Relius meant to cause injury with his words. His choice of words to Celestia though, left Nightlight surprised that Relius could speak with such venom to the co-ruler of Equestria.

“Very well, since you both accept, I shall now ask your permission to have both Amadeus and Twilight at Canterlot Castle where they shall be our personal students. I would prefer to train Twilight myself and Luna would train Amadeus. They will receive specialized study beyond the level that can be attained here at PCSGU.” Celestia’s voice was calm as she explained every detail. But she spoke with a second voice, one that was loaded with suspicion and accusation. One voice spoke to the two fathers, and the second spoke into Relius’ mind.”How do you know of that title? Those events were erased from the history books, Luna and I made sure of that.”

“If that is the reason the two of you will be taking them, and not for anything else, then I will allow you to train my son.” Relius agreed with a point, as he looked down at Amadeus lying peacefully on the floor. Over the top of his verbal reply, he replied to Celestia’s mind voice with his own. ”I have my own paths through Time. Even you, Celestia, cannot comprehend the entirety of existence, as much as you act like you do.”

“Alright, my daughter will become your pupil then. Please, take good care of her.” Nightlight replied, looking at Twilight. “She’s everything to me.”

Celestia looked at the two fathers warmly. “Since you have both agreed to this, I feel that we must discuss this with my sister as well.” She looked over to Luna who was still deep in conversation with the professors. ”Luna, are you almost finished?”

”Yes, sister, but there is a third obstacle that need be removed. Midas has talked with the Devil Bringer, and we must find out what they spoke of.”

”It is not of great importance at this time. Now finish with those tainted beings and let us move the Prophecy forward.”

Luna cut off the mind link and knew she had no time left with Seeker and Prismic. “Do thee two understand what hast happened here, and what will happen? Dost thou understand that thee two have no place beyond what has been set for you?” The two wide-eyed professors nodded, their mouths slightly open as they were still processing everything that Luna had told them.

“Be off with thee, I must get back to my sister.” Without another word, Luna turned her back to the professors and walked back to her sister. The two professors looked at each other and an understanding passed between them. They turned around and headed down the hall to exit through a small stairway.

“I have finished, sister, and sent those two on their way. Now, tell me of these new happenings. Will I be taking Amadeus under mine wing?” Luna looked down at the colt who would become the focus of her attention of the next few years. ’And taking the time to delve into his mind and figure out why he has enough power to destroy most of Equestria’

“Perhaps, it will fall to the fathers to decide who we shall teach.” Celesta looked back to the two fathers. “We shall await these foals three days from now, at Canterlot Castle, where you two shall make a choice that will affect many a future.”

“Very well, but it will be Amadeus that will make his own decision. He has ever been one to make his own path in life, I have merely been the one to help him, never to lead him.” Relius ruffled Amadeus’ made with a hoof, his emotions were unreadable as he looked at his son.

“Twilight and myself are very much the same way, so I’ll leave this decision to her. Though I believe I know what choice she’ll make.” Nightlight spoke confidently. He knew Twilight, helped teach her, and he knew which Princess she’d pick to train under.

These two, after everything that’s happened, are still children, and will need their parents to make the choice for them.” Celestia’s words had a haunting quality to them, as if speaking of past events that held significance now in the present. “Do not give them too much freedom, for they might begin to believe themselves worthy of anything…”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Unknown~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To the far north above Equestria, past the Crystal Empire, sat a mountain range that stretched from horizon to horizon sat. Beyond the mountain range, blizzards constantly raged and there was nothing to see but rolling hills of snow and nothing to feel but heavy winds and sub-zero temperatures.

On the backside of a mountain marked with a christmas tree shaped peak, a campfire crackled and burned, unaffected by the elements around it. The dancing light threw shifting patterns on the snow around it that were marred by the shadow of a cloaked being. He too was unaffected by the wind and snow, and though his cloak moved around with the wind, his shadow always remained the same.

A red glow came from beneath the hood and three panes of glass appeared before the figure. They were streaked with red, as though they had recently been used to kill and then put together again. The surfaces facing towards the being fogged up and then cleared in the center, showing three different locations that varied majorly in landscape and weather.

One was in a mountainous terrain such as the blizzard swarmed peaks he was in, but there was sunlight and soft winds instead of ice and the biting breeze. Zooming in, it showed a multitude of tiny dots flying around a castle that had been built into the side of a mountain. The base was clearly made of rock, as an extension of the mountain itself, but the rest was made of polished metal and stone with gold tipped towers and bridges.

The left one showed an open plain for miles, with nothing but greenery and the occasional sand pit to break up the monotone. It became clear that the view was from above as it got closer to the ground, revealing a city that seemed too symmetrical to be made by anything except magic. Coming even closer, dots could be seen swarming on the ground as large numbers either left or entered the city. Its imposing metal walls, stone pathways and a huge castle that was an amazing amalgamation of wood, stone, glass and various metals meant it had a dominating effect on the landscape.

The third one in the middle showed a city built of stone, gold and silver sitting on a large base halfway up a mountain. It’s spires gleamed in the sunlight as did the many spears and helmets worn by guards that seemed to be everywhere, giving the city a sharp glow that would hurt the eyes of any who looked upon it. Instead of just viewing the city, the view split in two and moved to a castle that stood higher than any other building, and to a certain group of buildings whose slanted steel roofs shone as brightly as the castle spires did.

Even though there was nothing significant could be seen happening in each view, a feral white grin appeared from the depths of the hood’s shadow. The red glow had yet to disappear from the hood and it gave a bloody tint to the teeth as the grin turned insane. The glass panels were crushed into sand and the dusty mix was thrown over the fire, dousing it. The shadows disappeared with the light and the red glow stopped. The final thing to disappear was the insane reddy grin as all the light faded.

Author's Note:

So... Prince Ashley Blueblood... I think Luna was hoping for a girl.

Anyway, it's finally here! Thanks guys and gals for sticking around and being interested in this journey that I've written over roadblocks and so many obstacles.

I have a couple things to attend to here:

Firstly, I wanna say a massive thank you to Akashic Brony who has helped me out more than anyone. He's looked at my scenes, given me ideas, and he even did me up some art to cover this awesome story. So check him out. He's gotten more well known for his story Lunacy of Love, but check him out anyway.

Secondly, Crackshot. Bro, I was wondering where you've been for the past month and a half. But just that two hour session and we got some good plans in the works. Helped me out a ton with fleshing out my characters, looking at some potential plot routes and feeding the egotistical flame. Thanks man!

And Unknown, of course. Without this guy, the fic wouldn't be where it is today. He's helped me with naming the characters, writing them into the story, putting the bones down and just putting up with my crap. Relius was his idea and originally his writing and there's going to be a character in Chapter Five that is completely his; design, backstory, personality, everything.

And to all of you reading my story, I'd like to say thanks for taking time out of your life to enjoy this work. I'll see you all later!

If you're trying to achieve, there will be roadblocks. I've had them; everybody has had them. But obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.
-Michael Jordan

Time to walk again
~Hyacintho Ignis

Comments ( 3 )

So is this dead?

5535114

No, this story isn't dead. I just have a horrible push to write. It's being worked on, but at a much slower rate. I'm also writing Dead Flowers, which is coming along faster than STP.

Great story, can't wait for more.

Login or register to comment