• Published 21st Jun 2013
  • 7,964 Views, 357 Comments

Sparké - moviemaster8510



A human chef looking to open a restaurant in New York gets more than he bargained for when he winds up in Equestria. While there, he reacquaints with somepony from his past...

  • ...
39
 357
 7,964

Chapter 4: Raw Emotions

Peter huddled himself into the corner of the marble cell. He had been crying for hours on end. It seemed no matter how much time passed or what pain he was in, he would not be able to return home to his dad. Even as the door opened up and Celestia came into the room, he was far too tired and demoralized to fight any longer.

“It’s almost time for supper,” Celestia said. “You’re free to join us, or would you like a bit more time to yourself?”

Peter slowly stood up, allowing Celestia to see his face, his cheeks puffy and his eyes blisteringly red from his crying. He began to walk up to Celestia, his body swooning with each step that he took. Once he was in reach of her, Peter wrapped his arms around Princess Celestia’s arm and sobbed once again.

Celestia knew he was still frail and needed some comfort now. She unfurled her right wing and covered Peter’s back with it.

“There, there,” she cooed. “I know it must be frightening to be so far away from home like you are, but if you desire, I shall make this palace your home until I can send you back.”

“Send me back?” Peter asked, looking up.

“Of course. I might not be able to send you back now, tomorrow, or even next week, but I promise you that I will do everything in my power to see to it that you be returned. This I swear on my life.”

“Th… thank you,” he stuttered.

“Now,” Celestia said, looking back at Peter, “would you mind telling me your name.”

“Peter. Peter Falwell.”

“Alright, young Peter. Come with me. Supper shall be ready soon.”

____________________________________________________________

Peter was taken to a large dining room. It was late in the afternoon, and the orange sun was set in the sky as its light streamed through the windows. At a long, candlelit table, sat only one pony. It was Twilight as a filly. She sat bored with her head on the table. Upon hearing Celestia’s hoofsteps, she turned and saw a bipedal creature following her.

Twilight looked at the young boy as if she would a rare species of insect, unsure by what it was, but intrigued by its appearance.

“Princess Celestia?” asked Twilight. “What’s with the ape following you around?”

Peter looked at her with a mixture of sadness and anger, heavily hurt by her remark. The look frightened Twilight as she shied away in her seat.

“Twilight!” scolded Celestia. “This is the creature you brought here when you lost control of your magic during your entrance exam. He’s lost, scared, and alone. I think you owe him an apology.”

Twilight could definitely see that Peter was all of the things her teacher mentioned above, but she wasn’t sure how far his intelligence extended.

“I’m sorry… um, do you even have a name?”

“Yes,” answered Peter, his fluent speech shocking Twilight. “My name is Peter, and I am a human, not an ape.”

“Well,” Celestia remarked, “I see we got that out of the way. Peter, would you be so kind as to take a seat next to Twilight?”

Peter briskly walked around the table to seat himself next to Twilight as Celestia took her seat across the table from them.

“What…” asked Peter. “What are we having?”

“I’m unsure about the diets of your species,” spoke Celestia as she wrapped her napkin around her neck like a bib, “but I’m sure that we’ll get to know much more about you in the next couple of days.”

“You mean,” Twilight wondered, “like a science project?”

“Twilight, Peter here is not going to be treated like a common lab rat. It seems that he’s as intelligent as you or I, so he shall be treated as such. Do I make myself clear?”

“Okay, Princess. I got it.”

“Peter, do you like tomato soup?”

Peter was still a bit nervous by his new surroundings, but he gave a slight smile and nod, showing his gratitude.

“Fabulous. I’m sure my chef will be out very shortly.”

Twilight took a look back at Peter. If he was as intelligent as he claimed to be, perhaps she could get some answers about him.

“So where do you even come from?” she asked like a mad-dog reporter.

“I’m from a planet called Earth. You?”

“This is the land of Equestria on the planet Equus. Now, what are those claws on your hooves?”

“Huh?” Peter asked, almost as if he was offended. “These aren’t hooves,” he said, putting both palms out in front of Twilight’s face, “these are hands, and these ‘claws’ are called fingers!”

“Twilight! Peter!” hissed Celestia. “The soup’s here.”

Peter watched as the white mare that he would know as Crème Fraiche came in with three bowls in her magical grasp filled with red, hot broth that were garnished in the center with a small basil leaf. Crème couldn’t help but stare at Peter as she gave her soup to the three of them. Peter was amazed at seeing his soup being levitated out to him like that.

“So this is the creature you were talking about,” Crème said with slight suspicion.

“Crème,” introduced Celestia, “this is Peter. He will be staying with us for a while. Please treat him like you would any other pony.”

Crème looked at Peter again, who coyly put his hand up as if to say, “Hi.”

“Well, Peter,” she responded calmly as she put her hoof to her heart, “I’m honored to make your acquaintance. If you need anything, anything at all, do not hesitate to ask.”

Peter nodded in conformation.

“Enjoy your soups, everypony.”

“Thank you, Crème,” Celestia spoke. “You may leave now.”

“Yes, your majesty.”

Crème Fraiche walked out of the hall to leave the two ponies and the human in peace.

“So,” Twilight said, “your name is Peter. Well, my name is–”

========================================

“Twilight,” Peter sighed again as he saw the familiar unicorn in Applejack’s foyer.

Twilight couldn’t stand it any longer. With a choked inhale, she galloped towards Peter, who put his arms up for her. Twilight leapt up and dove towards Peter, who caught her around the waist and held her close in a warm hug. Twilight had her own arms wrapped around Peter’s back over his shoulders as her legs squeezed his waist. Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle, and the purple reptile looked upon the two with sheer confusion as Twilight sobbed into Peter’s neck while Applejack smiled happily.

“Peter!” she cried. “I can’t believe you’re here! I thought I’d never see you again!”

“Me too,” Peter exclaimed, his tears also running down. “I missed you so much.”

“Uh, excuse me?” asked the reptile, confused. “Could someone explain what’s going on?”

“That guy that’s huggin’ Twilight,” Applejack whispered to him, “came to Equestria from another world when they were foals. He was sent back but now he’s here again.”

“Oh!” Spike exclaimed, seeming to get it. “…Wait, what?”

“Sweetie Belle!” happily shouted Apple Bloom’s voice from the top of the stairs as she ran down. “Scootaloo!”

She stood by them only to see them affixed on Twilight and Peter.

“Oh!” exclaimed Apple Bloom, pointing to the human with her hoof. “Have you guys met Peter yet?”

Twilight eventually let go and set herself back down on her hooves. Peter knelt down and gave Twilight another hug, this time putting his arms around her neck and nuzzling his cheek into hers. Twilight returned his affections, rubbing the side of his head and hair with her head as Peter stroked Twilight’s back. Peter stood back up and smiled brightly, putting his arms up as if to showcase Twilight to her self.

“Look at how big you got!” he exclaimed.

“You’re so much taller!” Twilight shouted. “And you look so much older!”

“What are you even doing here? How did you–”

It suddenly hit Twilight.

“You crashed that thing into the Apples’ barn?”

“It’s a long story, Twi, and I think I’ll explain it to you, and the girls in the livin’ room while Pete keeps making breakfast.”

“Uh, okay?”

“Come on,” beckoned Applejack. “Let’s leave Pete be.”

As the three fillies and Spike were ushered out of the room by Applejack, Twilight gave Peter a warm and happy smile, glad for him to be back in her life again. She then trotted down to follow Applejack and listen to the story of how he appeared. Peter sighed, also happy to be able to meet Twilight again. With little time left to waste, he took a heaping spoonful of the potato batter and gently plopped it into the hot oil, the sound of sizzling instantly cracking throughout the air.

____________________________________________________________

Peter carefully picked up the potato pancakes from the skillet and placed them upon a towel for the oil to drain. The hollandaise sauce was finished and sitting off on the side, still hot and fluid. The poached eggs were floating inside the saucepans like tadpole eggs, barely leaving any room to fit. But they’d be done soon as well.

Peter then placed potato pancakes on several plates set on the counter. There were two potato pancakes for himself, Applejack, Twilight, and Granny Smith, one single pancake for the fillies and Spike, and three for Big Macintosh. With that finished, Peter used a slotted spoon to pick up each of the eggs and place them on top of each pancake with delicacy. The hollandaise sauce was generously drizzled over each egg as it flooded onto the plate. Finally, each of the eggs were dusted with a touch of chives.

After putting the two saucepans of water in the sink, Peter then pulled the apples from the oven, taking in a hefty whiff as he set them down on the two vacant burners, remembering to turn the heat off. Peter grabbed the saucepan of grits and a wooden spoon as he put a decent scoop on each plate next to the eggs. Lastly, a few slices of warm apples were placed on the last free spaces of the plates.

In the living room, Twilight and Applejack were finishing explaining Peter and the history that they knew of him to the fillies and Spike.

“I haven’t seen him since then,” Twilight said. “And frankly, neither has Princess Celestia or Crème Fraiche.”

“Say!” Applejack suggested. “Maybe you should take Peter over to Canterlot. Not only would they like to see Peter, but maybe they can help him bring him back home.”

“Yeah,” Twilight, now a bit downtrodden with her ears drooping. “Home…”

“Twilight!” called Peter. “You mind helping me carry the food to the dining room?”

“Sure thing!” called in Twilight.

She eagerly galloped to the kitchen with a noticeable smile on her face.

“Wow,” Sweetie Belle said, “she really must have been close to him.”

“I’m sure you’d be actin’ the same way if you didn’t see one of yer friends in almost fifteen years,” Applejack responded.

“That’s true…”

“Enough of that!” Spike shouted, patting his tummy. “Didn’t you hear? Breakfast is ready!”

“Awesome!” exclaimed Scootaloo, as she ran to the dining room, followed by her two friends.

Applejack shook her head with a smirk, amused by their innocent rudeness. She then trotted into the kitchen to help Peter and Twilight with whatever they needed.

____________________________________________________________

Granny Smith was the last pony to be served her food before Peter sat at his seat with his. At the long, dining room table, Granny Smith sat one end, and encircling the table in a counter-clockwise fashion, there was Peter, Twilight, Spike, Applejack at the other end, and then Big Macintosh, Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle with Granny Smith to her right.

On in the centers of each half of the table were full pitchers of orange juice, which Peter was all but happy to pour for himself. Peter, Twilight, and Spike had a fork and knife on both sides of their plates while the Apples and the fillies each had a knife. A red-and-white checkerboard decaled cloth was wrapped around everyone’s necks like a bib.

Each member of the Apple family was panting slightly at the scent that rolled off their plates in wisps of buttery steam, waiting for Granny Smith to allow everyone to eat. Twilight turned to Peter and nudged his thigh with her hoof. Peter turned to face her.

“Peter,” she whispered. “I think you did a good job. Everything looks delicious!”

“Well,” declared Granny Smith. “No use in keeping y’all waitin’! Dig in, everypony!”

As Peter slowly cut a slice of egg and potato pancake, he watched as Twilight used her magic to lift her utensils and cut a sizable amout of egg and potato pancake. Peter watched as the yolks oozed out from her puncture and began to run onto the plate. Twilight took her large morsel and dipped it into the yolk for good measure. Peter saw as Twilight lifted the fork into her mouth, slid the food off inside with her lips and chewed.

Peter was engorged with happiness to see Twilight smile and blush as she continued to savor her food. Applejack had finished cutting a triangular-shaped bite with the knife that she held in her teeth. She then set it back down and put her face to the piece she had cut. Applejack scooped up the pancake, egg, yolk and sauce with her tongue and put it all in her mouth.

Big Macintosh, Granny Smith, and the fillies did the same as Applejack while Spike voraciously cut his food with his fork, speared it, and shoveling it into his mouth at a morsel every couple of seconds.

However, by the pleasurable looks on every mare, stallion, and filly at the table, it seemed to a content Peter that his breakfast went successfully.

“Oh, Peter,” sighed Twilight, “this is absolutely delicious. Oh, just wait until Celestia or Crème Fraiche sees how you’ve grown.”

The thought had never occurred to Peter. Now that he was here, not only could he could meet his adoptive mother, but he could also reunite with his muse and mentor as well. Not to mention, Celestia might be able to send him back home as well so he could get back on track with his dream and avoid scaring his dad. Peter gasped, having come to terms with these facts.

“Peter?” asked Twilight. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah,” he quickly answered. “I’m better than okay, actually. Say, Twilight, when do you think we could go to Canterlot?”

“What!?” everypony exclaimed.

“Huh?” asked Granny Smith. “You wanna’ leave so soon?”

“But…” spoke Applejack, “I thought you liked it here. That’s what you told me!”

“Couldn’t you just stay here for just a few more days?” asked Apple Bloom.

Peter looked into the sad faces of Granny Smith, Big Macintosh, Apple Bloom, and Applejack. While it was difficult to say that he had to return home, it was looking at Twilight that did him in. Peter scrunched his face in embarrassed sadness. Peter, his first bite of food still on his fork, placed his fork back onto the plate and untied the cloth from his neck.

“Excuse me,” he quietly stated, standing up and dropping the cloth onto his chair. “I need some time alone. Please forgive me for spoiling your breakfast.”

Peter quickly ran up the stairs to his guest bedroom. The mood had definitely become somber, and no one, not even the ravenous Spike, could even think of taking another bite. In his guest bedroom, Peter ran to his bed and fell onto it with his face in his pillow. Peter began taking deep, labored breaths that were burning and aching with stress and anxiety.

Peter loved Twilight like a sister, and he had quickly warmed up to the Apples. As badly as he wanted to stay in Equestria with them, he had a home and a life to return to; one that he spent years trying to build. Abandoning it and his fragile father for another life, no matter how bright and sweet it felt, would all but leave a bitter taste in his mouth. Peter was torn between making Twilight and his new friends happy and making him and his father happy, and the internal struggle was eating at him like a virus.

========================================

Peter hung his body out over the banister of the balcony to the bedroom where he and Twilight slept. Snowflakes were falling on the city streets of Canterlot, which were strewn with lights, holly, bells, and other various festive decorations. Ponies were singing carols in the streets, happy of the joys that Hearths Warming brought to ponies young and old.

Peter however, was far from being in bright spirits. As he rested his head on his arms, he silently wept, his tears dropping from his face to the ground below, picked up by the wind. Even with the sound of the door opening behind him and the laughing voice of Twilight, Peter couldn’t be bothered to turn around.

“Peter!” called Twilight’s joyous voice as she pranced around the room. “Where are you? They’re about to cut the Hearth cake!”

Twilight then found Peter on the balcony, her previously gladsome demeanor becoming wary and confused. Twilight quietly stepped towards Peter, hoping that a direct conversation would get him out.

“Peter?” she asked. “What are you doing out here without a scarf or a coat? You’ll freeze out here!”

“Christmas was always my favorite holiday,” Peter said.

Twilight walked outside hoping to hear Peter fuller.

“I mean, what kid doesn’t love Christmas? You get presents, you’re not in school; it’s like Heaven.”

Twilight had heard Peter refer to Christmas before, and she’s heard this song and dance before, but something told her that this would be a different variation of said dance.

“However, I’ve been thinking. All those cartoons I’ve seen on TV that tell you that family and togetherness and stuff were the most important thing on Christmas? Sure, they sound cool and all, but of course the presents come first in the end.”

“What are you talking about?” asked Twilight.

“There’s a song back on my world that goes something like, “You don’t know what you have until it’s gone,” and that could never be truer on Christmas. Until coming here, Christmas has always been about toys and games for me, but now that I’m here, I don’t get to be with the one guy who made those days so special to start with; my pop.”

Twilight began to see where this was headed now, but let Peter continue.

“My dad spent all those Christmases with me and made them so good. I mean, I can always get a toy or a game. Heck, I can always get another if it were to break or get lost. But I can’t get another pop. But now that he’s not here, there is no Christmas for me. My only family is gone, and I may never see him again…”

Peter’s choked words made the last sentences nearly incomprehensible, as he sunk to his knees and grabbed the pillars of the banister, letting out all of his tears and emotions. Twilight took pity on him as he continued to cry and mourn. His sadness was causing her own eyes to water. Wanting these terrible feelings to end, Twilight ran up to him an gave his chest a tight hug, shocking Peter out of his tears.

“Sparky,” he sniffled, “what are you doing?”

“I’m sorry, Peter,” she said. “I know it’s hard to spend Hearth’s Warming Eve away from your family, but please, don’t cry. I don’t like seeing ponies cry on Hearth’s Warming Eve.”

Twilight’s warm, fuzzy arms were hard to ignore. Peter felt his grasp on the marble pillars holding the banister up loosen as he finally let go and hugged Twilight.

“And,” added Twilight, “if it makes you feel any better… I’ll be your family this Hearth’s Warming.”

“Really?” asked Peter, sniffling once again. “You’d do that for me?”

“Sure. I mean, no one should be alone on Hearth’s Warming.”

As Twilight further snuggled her body onto Peter’s the flooding wells that were Peter’s eyes were beginning to dry. With each second that he spent with Twilight, it gave him more and more of something that even without a father to comfort him, could give him something warm to carry him through.

Peter’s sad frown even began to change into a slight smile, truly glad to have someone by his side on Hearth’s Warming. For a second, he even felt fine if he could stay…

========================================

The sound of the bedroom door opened.

“Peter?” Twilight quietly called, seeing him sprawled on the bed. “Are you okay?”

Peter quickly shot up and sat up on the side of the bed, hoping to look less pathetic than he already felt.

“Yeah,” he lied, “sure. I just… I just…”

“You just what?”

“Hell… I guess there’s no hiding it.”

“Go ahead,” she said, trotting to the bed, jumping upon it and sitting next to Peter with her legs hanging over the side. “You can tell me. You can trust me.”

“I know,” Peter said to her face, forcing a smile. “I’ve forgotten how nice it is when you’re with me. Even in my darkest moments when I was younger, you were always there to comfort me, make me feel safe and not alone, and the same goes to Celestia and Crème. There have even been times when I would have felt fine not going back.”

Twilight gasped, this fact being news to her.

“However,” Peter resumed, “you and I both know that this isn’t the world I belong to. I belong on Earth with my father. I belong in the city and running my own restaurant; did Applejack tell you that’s where I was going?”

“Mmhm.”

“The point is, that as much as I’ve missed you and Equestria as a whole and as nice as it was to see you again, I need to get back going. That lot that I found won’t be up for sale forever, and the longer I spend here, the higher my chances of losing my dream are.”

Twilight looked down at the ground, a tear rolling off her cheek. The glimmer that bounced into his eye caught his attention, and he gasped at the sight.

“I understand,” Twilight whispered. “You know that when I was a filly, the only pony I ever considered my friend was my brother, and when I became Celestia’s student, I saw less and less of him in between my studies. You really filled a gap that I thought only Shining Armor could fill.

“In fact, when you left, I felt that hole open again. I tried filling that void with studies and the approval of Princess Celestia, that I almost forgot about friendships. That was when I moved to Ponyville and I met Applejack and the others. You haven’t met them yet, but I don’t think you will now…”

Peter’s guilt was returning, knowing that he’d be leaving her behind again.

“But please,” requested Twilight. “Don’t let my words sway you. If you think you’re being selfish for leaving, don’t. I know that you belong in our world just as much as I belong in yours, and asking for anything more would make me the selfish one. But even if you’ll be gone again, we’re still friends right?”

Peter, unable to handle his feelings, reached out and hugged Twilight, forcing Twilight to squeak in surprise.

“You’re my best friend, Twilight,” he answered. “You have been and you always will be. I don’t know how I could have made it through that year without someone like you. In fact, if it weren’t for you, Celestia, or Crème supporting me, I would have never had a purpose to achieve my dream.

“I knew that when I opened my restaurant, when I spent my days cooking for thousands of people every month, I’d know that if it weren’t for my good pal Sparky, it would have never come true.”

“But…” Twilight sobbed, “I thought Crème–”

“Yeah, Crème was a fantastic chef and an even better inspiration, if you hadn’t opened your heart to me, I would have never had the courage to meet and eventually learn from her. Believe me, Twilight. I’m indebted to you more than you know.”

Peter broke free from the hug, sitting forwards with his feet upon the floor.

“I guess I’m going to have to apologize to the Apples and the fillies about my behavior.”

“Don’t worry about it,” advised Twilight. “Applejack and I have a friend who’s much more sensitive than you. We’ll understand, just explain yourself like you did me.”

Peter stood up looking back at Twilight.

“Yeah,” he answered. “I’ll do it. Come on. You’ve hardly touched your breakfast either.”

Twilight watched as Peter walked out of the room before following him down herself. Peter saw upon coming back in the room that the ponies there, along with Spike, had not moved from their seats. Also surprising Peter was that their plates had not changed since he excused himself.

“What’s goin' on, sugarcube?” wondered Applejack.

Peter, instead of taking a seat, stood behind his chair and supported his body against it with his hands. Twilight, who was behind him the whole time, took her own seat as she listened to what Peter had to say.

“Listen, guys,” Peter spoke. “I just want to tell you all up front that I’m grateful for the hospitality that you’ve given me. I’m really glad to have met you, Applejack and Apple Bloom, as well as the rest of you, and I’m thankful that I got to see Twilight again, but as much as I like it here in Equestria, nothing can change the fact that Earth is my home. Like Twilight said to me up there, I belong in Equestria just as much as any of you belong on Earth. I have my own dreams to attend to and I only expressed interest in going to Canterlot so I could continue on my path to achieve my dream.

“I admire each one of you for becoming my friends and making me feel welcome in your home, but please understand that I want this. I want this dream so badly, and I couldn’t imagine the guilt it would put on me or my father if I were to abandon that dream here. So, could we please just continue our breakfast and just go on with it?”

Peter finally pulled his chair back and sat down, picking up his cloth and tying it around his neck. The ponies and Spike looked upon Peter with stoic respect for his decision, but was soon broken by Applejack’s smiling face.

“Here’s to Pete,” she said as he wrapped her wrist around her glass of juice and held it up in a toast. “May he get back home safely and get his own restaurant!”

“To Peter!” the other ponies chimed in.

Peter was touched by his friends support, which was even more emotional when he saw Twilight give a smile that told him, “Good job.” Peter grabbed his glass and raised it up, completing the toast. As the ponies resumed their meal, Peter picked up his fork with his first bite still on it and put it in his mouth. Peter grinned, pleased that his food was still warm.