• Published 1st Jun 2013
  • 2,813 Views, 69 Comments

Mind Over Might - SilentSky



A ranking strategist flees a decades long civil war only to find himself on a strange new world. But will the bloodshed simply follow him wherever he goes?

  • ...
10
 69
 2,813

CHAPTER EIGHT: LIFE

---

The world was a blurry wash of color. Sounds were muffled, sensations nonexistent. It was impossible to determine which way was up. Things slowly became clearer as he remembered the last thing he saw before blacking out...

Slitted eyes that were full of sudden realization and fear, time slowing down, and a sudden flash of blinding light. The pain from that light was so far beyond anything he’d ever experienced, he was positive it would have killed him had it not stopped abruptly. He never got the chance to see why it stopped, for as soon as it did, his world swirled into blackness.

The blackness began to fade as consciousness returned. Before long, he could once again pick out individual words with his hearing. He heard things like, “massive trauma”, “severe blood loss”, and “near lethal curse.”

Knight Sky awoke fully to the sounds of frantic voices and the clatter of small metallic tools. He was dimly aware of a dull ache in his foreleg.

He opened his eyes, and a sense of relief washed over him so strongly that he nearly fainted.

The face that he opened his eyes to, not inches from his own, was none other than Fluttershy’s. However, instead of relieved, she looked fearful.

“F-Fluttershy. You’re okay.”

Tears welled up in her eyes as she forced a smile, “Yes. I’m fine.”

He grimaced as the dull ache in his foreleg sharpened to a horrid scraping stab of pain.

“Ow...what are they-” He was turning to look at his foreleg when Fluttershy grabbed his head with both hooves, forced him back around to look at her, and put up a wing to block his view.

“Don’t look. You’re really badly wounded, Knight Sky. They can’t numb you for this because of how much blood you lost, so this is really going to hurt a lot, but I’m here for you.”

Knight Sky’s gaze darted about the room and came to rest upon the dark grey and gold uniform that hung on a wall hook. There was a new medal pinned to it, and the garment was stained with green changeling blood and his own red blood. At that sight he suddenly remembered what exactly had happened.

I...I killed Chrysalis with her own horn, and it went through my leg...

Sensing his realization, Fluttershy said, “If you ever want to walk again, you have to be as still as possible.”

As he opened his mouth to ask her another question, he heard a voice behind where her wing blocked his view, “Now!”

There was a sudden tug in his leg, and he became aware of the excruciating pain. It felt like his leg was being ripped open and dragged through rock salt. He let out a shriek at the unexpected pain that almost gave the medics pause, but they had a job to do.

Fluttershy threw her own forelegs around his face as he screamed, burying his pained cries in soft pink mane.

She ran a hoof through his bloodstained gold mane.

“Shh, shhh. It’s okay, you’ll be okay.” she assured him tearfully.

“...agh...it hurts so much...they’re killing me...” he groaned into her mane as the pulling stopped for a moment.

He heard the doctor’s voice again, “Good, now cut the horn right here.”

Knight Sky heard the scraping of a hacksaw, and there was an odd vibration that resonated through his bones as they tried for several minutes to cut the horn.

“It’s no use doctor! There’s still magic in the horn and it’s resisting the cut!”

“Ah hay...hang in there buddy, looks like we’re gonna have to do this the hard way. Please keep him steady, Ms. Fluttershy.”

She lifted her head and locked eyes with him, her nose barely an inch from his own, “I’m really sorry for this, Knight Sky.”

She gave him the Stare, and once again, his body locked up. Millions of thoughts raced through his mind as the pain returned, and he was completely unable to even wince in response.

All he could do was tear up as his pained eyes were bored into by the Stare, but he then calmed his mind, realizing that she was offering it as a tool for him to steady himself. With some focus, it worked. For several minutes of painful tugging, he kept perfectly still, relying on the strength of Fluttershy’s Stare to keep himself stable.

“Almost got it! Nurse, be ready to stop the bleeding!”

The pain increased exponentially, breaking his focus for a split second, but that was all it took. He let out another scream, and Fluttershy grabbed his face again. This time, she didn’t give him the Stare. She pressed her lips to his, effectively silencing his screaming.

“Got it! Nurse, do it now! Well done, Ms. Flu-...um...Fluttershy... you can stop now.”

They ignored the doctor, and kissed for another long moment while the nurse went to work stopping the bleeding and sterilizing the wound.

When they stopped, almost all the pain had faded, and Knight Sky felt extremely tired.

“So all I have to do...to get a kiss like that...” he mumbled sleepily as his eyes began closing on their own, “...is sustain severe bodily injury? Worth it...” and he passed out.

---

Celestia walked into the room later that night to find Fluttershy beside Knight Sky’s bed. The two of them were asleep, the mare having laid her head down on the pillow beside his battered face. Barely perceptible snores escaped her lips.

Still clad in her armor after hours of seeing to the wounded, she gave the sleeping mare a gentle nudge with her magic, stirring her from her sleep. Shocked at her visitor, Fluttershy gave a quiet gasp and shied back a little.

Celestia levitated her helm off, set it aside, and gave Fluttershy the kindest, gentlest smile she could muster, which seemed to calm the pegasus. “How is he?” she finally asked.

Fluttershy looked over to the sleeping Knight Sky and back to her Princess. “The doctors say he was moments from bleeding to death. They couldn’t give him anesthetics to get the horn out of his leg because of how much blood he lost, and they couldn’t cut it, so they had to just pull it out. It was very painful for him.”

The alicorn looked down sympathetically at the stallion who’d just come within an inch of his life in an effort to save countless others, including her.

Luna couldn’t have been more correct when she said he’s pure of heart...

“Would that I could use a spell to heal him completely right now...but his body absorbed so much magic energy from Chrysalis’ final attack that it would probably kill him. His full recovery, while a certainty now, is going to be long and arduous. Will you stay-”

“Of course I’ll be here for him. I’ll be at his side for every second of his recovery. He saved my life, and everypony else’s,” the shy pegasus interrupted her Princess in another rare moment of assertiveness.

Celestia smiled. “I am glad to hear that. He’s going to need you.”

The speaking in the room must have disturbed him, because Knight Sky began to stir.

“Ugh...what’s...why do I feel so weak? It’s so cold in here...” he began shivering.

Fluttershy stepped aside to allow the princess to speak, “It’s good to see you awake, Knight Sky.”

“You...you’re Celestia,” as the realization washed over him, he suddenly looked very worried and asked in rapid succession, “How many wounded? Did we lose any-” his questions were interrupted by a fit of coughing that took hold for several seconds, and left him completely winded.

“Shh, be still. Ease your breathing,” Celestia hushed him in a calming voice. “There were no deaths, thanks to your strategy and Chrysalis’ utter lack of one. The other wounded only sustained relatively minor injuries. The changelings were loath to waste food, so they did not fight for the kill. They did not count on the entire town coming out to resist them, nor did they expect an army to come in at a critical moment. Yours is the only very serious injury.”

Knight Sky immediately relaxed, “I see. That’s good to hear. When can I assist with recovery operations?”

Fluttershy looked to Celestia to deliver the news. She nodded and walked over to his bedside, giving him the kindest look she could manage despite the severity of his battle wounds.

“Knight Sky, you were nearly killed. You lost a lot of blood, not to mention you had a jagged changeling horn impaled through your leg, the bones of which are completely shattered. You shouldn’t be worrying about the town’s recovery so much as your own.”

“I’m sure if I just get a few hours of sleep-” he was interrupted by the Princess.

“No. I can’t allow that. You don’t seem to grasp just how close you came to death. For now, consider it a Royal Edict. I forbid you from assisting with recovery operations,” she said sternly. Knight Sky did not respond, only looked disappointed and continued shivering.

Celestia looked over to the corner of the room, where spare bedding supplies were stacked. She levitated the extra blanket over the bed, unfolded it in midair, and laid it over Knight Sky with her magic.

“Fluttershy, with the amount of blood he’s lost, it’s essential that you keep him as warm as possible until he makes a full recovery. Knight Sky, I understand that as a soldier, your primary focus is often the next mission. And in a town full of wounded, you feel useless just sitting around. Do I have the right of it?”

He saw no reason to say otherwise, the alicorn had read him like a book, “...yes.”

“Then as of this moment, consider it your mission is to attain a full recovery from the wounds you suffered in battle.”

Knight Sky snorted his frustration, but nonetheless accepted that it would be best for him to just focus on healing for the time being. He realized that in his weakened state, he would most likely only get in the way.

“I understand. I guess being unable to walk on my own would limit my usefulness,” he conceded.

Celestia smiled and continued, “I still have my doubts about your intelligence given that you directly attacked a being as powerful as Chrysalis,” she snickered and took on a more serious demeanor, “but there is not a pony in this world or any other who can doubt your valor. Captain?” she called out the door.

After a moment, a large, white unicorn stallion with a bandaged forehead and slight limp strode in, “You must be Knight Sky, well met. I am Shining Armor, Captain of the Royal Guard for Her Majesty.”

A captain...he outranks me.

Knight Sky brought a shaky hoof up in salute.

“Lieutenant Commander Knight Sky of the starship Deus ex Machina, United Terran Fleet,” he grunted.

The unicorn returned the salute, but said, “At ease, there’s no need for you to salute me in your condition,” he levitated up a parchment and began reading.

“For voluntarily coming to the defense of Ponyville against a powerful enemy, devising a brilliant defense strategy that resulted in the utter ruin of the attacking forces and not a single life lost on our side, and for showing valor and bravery beyond comparison in almost singlehoofedly fighting off none other than the Queen of the Changelings herself, the pegasus known as Knight Sky is hereby awarded Equestria’s highest military honor; the Medal of Sun and Moon.”

He gestured towards the new medal pinned to the bloodstained uniform, “I have taken the liberty of pinning it to your uniform myself. I assumed those other medals are also service distinctions from...whatever military you came from.”

“You assumed correctly, and had Princess Celestia not come to my aid against Chrysalis, I’d be dead. I can’t claim to have fought her off even with help.”

Celestia retorted swiftly, “Had you not distracted her and attacked her when you did, she would have surprised me with that final blast of magic and quite possibly overwhelmed me. You did more than you know.”

Knight Sky sighed and accepted it, “Thank you for that honor. I see you’re wounded as well, are you alright?”

“Just a scratch, I should regain full use of my horn in a few weeks, and I only pulled a tendon in my leg. It happened when I came to my sister’s aid.”

“Who’s your sister?”

“I believe you’re well acquainted with her, her name is Twilight Sparkle. While I see the strategic sense in putting her on the front lines, I must say I had my own personal bias against it.”

Knight Sky’s eyes widened in shock, “M-my apologies...I was only-”

“No need to apologize, your strategy worked perfectly, and all six of the Element Bearers are unharmed. They are extremely formidable fighters in their own right, and you used their strengths to the best possible advantage. That brings me to my next order of business.” He folded up the previous parchment, and brought out a second one.

“In recognition of your obvious talents, you are offered the chance to take up a position in the Royal Guard as a master strategist and teacher of strategy. Our military suffers from a sad lack of talent in that area, and one Sergeant Steel Gear had the idea of establishing a small academy here in Ponyville for Royal Guard officers to learn from you.” He closed the parchment, “I’ve read the official report on you. Since there is no way for you to return to your previous society, and apparently no reason to even consider it, a paying job here will give you a chance at a normal life. It will give you stability, something you sorely need, and rightfully deserve.”

Before he could answer, a doctor and nurse barged in pulling a tray of medical supplies, “What he needs right now is a blood transfusion, much more so than a paying job. Please pardon me, Your Majesty, but I need room to work.”

“Of course, Doctor. Knight Sky, you don’t have to decide right now. I will remain here for several days to oversee the recovery effort, along with Captain Shining Armor and a large detachment of the Equestrian Army,” Celestia responded.

Shining Armor continued, “Rest for now. You’ve more than earned it. I look forward to working with you if that is your choice.” The captain saluted, which Knight Sky returned, and the two visitors left.

The doctor looked to Fluttershy, “Ma’am, I’m going to have to ask you-” he stopped when Knight Sky tapped him with a hoof.

“I wouldn’t ask her to leave if I were you,” he said.

The physician looked back to Fluttershy, who was now fiercely glaring at him, barely a step below the Stare.

“R-right...I guess she can stay.” he said nervously, and set to work preparing Knight Sky to receive blood.

---

A voice came to him from the darkness, “I didn’t think you’d survive that.”

All he could see was an infinite black void.

He’d never heard a voice quite like this one. What’s happened to you? I remembered you, but you were...different.

The blackness that stretched ad infinitum was broken by a point of red light.

“Something wonderful happened to me. I won’t tell you now, but you’ll find out soon enough.”

Slowly, the red point of light grew. It began to diverge into two separate points.

What do you mean? How soon?

The two red points swelled in size and brightness, it gradually became clear what they were.

“Your body is useless to me until it heals.”

The red eyes expanded and swallowed everything he could see.

Knight Sky awoke gasping for air in a cold sweat. He opened his eyes to the dark and silent hospital room. He looked around frantically, but the room was empty.

“...help.” he called out, or tried to. His throat was dry and constricted. He couldn’t do much more than whisper.

“Please...I need help.”

“Do not be afraid.” A warm voice reached him.

It seemed to be coming from the open window, through which a gentle breeze flowed. He craned his neck to get a better look outside.

“Do not be afraid.” The warm voice repeated. He knew that voice, but saw no one on the street below. Only the sleeping town and the dark and starry skies.

“Do not be afraid.” The voice seemed to be coming from above. He directed his gaze skyward, and saw only...the Moon.

---

Knight Sky opened his eyes to the blazing light of dawn, still shivering underneath the blanket. As his vision cleared, he became aware of soft pink hair draped over his face.

He then realized that one side of his body was far warmer than the other. He looked to that side to find Fluttershy softly snoring beside him, huddled close. She was sharing her body heat to try and keep him warm, and her wing was once again spread over his blood-drained body.

It was reminiscent of the morning he was taken prisoner, only this time, he did not stealthily remove himself from her embrace. Instead he took comfort in it and settled into the warmth of the mare at his side. He found it hard to believe that morning was a mere two days ago.

She opened her eyes just the slightest amount, and as the hint of a smile formed on her face, her wing tightened around him.

“You’re not going anywhere this time,” she whispered.

He smiled back, but was taken by a fresh tremor of shivering.

She frowned, “You need another blanket...and probably more blood.”

To his dismay, she pulled back her wing and got out of the bed. He suddenly felt much colder.

“I’ll be right back with the doctor.”

Knight Sky continued shivering, and brought the foreleg that had been impaled to his face. It was bandaged up and kept rigid by a splint. He did not care to imagine what it looked like beneath the bandages.

“It’s best if you try not to think about what’s under there. I’ve treated some nasty battle wounds, but yours takes the cake as far as messiness is concerned,” a red unicorn stallion, in what looked like a dressed-down version of the Royal Guard uniforms, said on his way in, followed by Fluttershy.

“Morning. Name’s Dr. Blood Dancer. I’m the chief field medic for the Equestrian Army detachment that’s staying here for the recovery operations. I must apologize for how I was forced to remove that horn from your leg. It was that or lose it,” he said bluntly.

Fluttershy walked over to the bedside with another blanket and draped it over him. His shivering went down a bit, and she left the room again.

“Thank you.” Knight Sky finally said.

“Come again?” the medic asked.

“You saved my life, thank you.”

“It’s my job, please don’t thank me. And you saved mine, along with countless others when you went up against Chrysalis. I saw that, ya know. Princess was right, damned stupid thing to do, but gods, that was brave. Incredibly brave. You earned that medal.” He gestured to the Medal of Sun and Moon pinned to his damaged uniform.

Rather unexpectedly, Knight Sky snickered in amusement, “Maybe I’m a little lightheaded from the blood-loss, but what kind of a name is Blood Dancer?”

The medic sighed and shook his head, “I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve been asked that question...” he paused briefly to glare at the slightly delirious Knight Sky before continuing, “It’s more of a nickname I earned on the battlefield, and it’s a long story. My real name is a bit of a mouthful and frankly, there are more important things at hoof right now.”

He glanced down at the chart and continued, “Fluttershy tells me you were shivering for most of the night, which only means you need more blood. Unfortunately, you have a rare blood type, and we’re having a hard time locating donors.”

“Are there no willing donors?” he asked.

Blood Dancer wasted no time in explaining, “Oh there are plenty of willing donors. Everypony who escaped the battle unwounded lined up in force at the station we set up to accept donations. They’re all eager to help, and when word got out that the stallion who led the defense and stood up to Chrysalis nearly bled to death, we were literally overwhelmed with donors.”

He walked over and placed Knight Sky’s chart on a table before continuing.

“Fluttershy was the first to volunteer, but as I said, your blood type is very rare and hers is not a match. We’ve only located one pony so far who is. For now we’re taking the most we can without risking her health.”

Fluttershy returned with yet another blanket, and added that one to the pile on top of him. He finally felt only a little bit cold. She then climbed up onto the bed and laid down beside him. The addition of her body heat chased away the last vestiges of cold, and for the first time in nearly a day, he actually felt warm.

“She’s doing exactly the right thing in trying to keep you warm. Just make sure you control any urges, you don’t have enough blood yet to avoid passing out in such scenarios.”

The yellow pegasus blushed red, as did Knight Sky when he realized what the physician was referring to, bringing on a strange lightheadedness.

Blood Dancer was barely able to contain his laughter. “That’s exactly what I’m talking about, stop being embarrassed, you don’t have enough blood to sustain a blush!”

Fluttershy was about to scold the medic for his insensitivity when Knight Sky began laughing too.

Soon, they were all enjoying a hearty laugh. It was a refreshing change of pace.

When the laughter died down, Blood Dancer wiped his eyes and said, “Ha. I’m hilarious. I’ll keep you posted on the blood situation, but just rest and keep warm for now. I’ll let a nurse know that you two could use some breakfast.”

“Thank you, Doctor,” Fluttershy replied as the medic left the room.

She looked back to Knight Sky and brushed some strands of golden mane out of his eye.

“You don’t have to do this, you must have better things to do than sit around here all day.” Knight Sky said at length.

“I already promised the Princess that I’d be here for every second of your recovery. You just stood up to the Queen of the Changelings herself to protect everypony else, it’s time to let yourself be helped. Celestia said you’re going to need me, so I’m not leaving.” She smiled as she huddled closer to him, and spread her wing back over his battered pegasus body.

He laid his head back down and breathed deep, content to just revel in the secure comfort of her embrace for the time being.

“Since it can’t be you, do you have any idea who my donor is?” he asked.

“I do know who it is, you’re not supposed to know, but I have a feeling she doesn’t care about those rules.”

Knight Sky thought for half a second and asked, “Is it Rainbow Dash?”

“Good guess.” The cool, confident voice came from the doorway as she walked into the room and seated herself beside the bed.

“Looks like you didn’t need my advice after all, huh, Flutters? Got him in bed already.” she taunted playfully.

Failing to hide her own smile, Fluttershy said, “Rainbow Dash, we’re not supposed to make him blush, he doesn’t have enough blood yet.”

At that, Knight Sky’s gaze went down to Rainbow Dash’s foreleg. There was a small white bandage wrapped around it, coincidentally in the same place that he had been impaled on his own leg.

Rainbow Dash noticed where he was looking, “Yep, that’s my blood running through your veins right now.” she said proudly.

“You’d have more than what I already gave ya, but they won’t let me donate any more for now. Something about the danger of excessive blood loss. Eggheads...” she waved a hoof dismissively.

“Thank you, thank you so much for this,” he said, taking her off guard with the sincerity of his tone.

“H-hey, what are friends for anyway?”

“No. Don’t make light of this. If it weren’t for you, I’d be long dead.”

Her concern shined through. "Wait, what do you mean by that?”

“I guess they didn’t tell you. You’re the only one they’ve found with the same blood type as me. You’re the one keeping me alive right now. I owe my life to you.”

“You don’t owe me anything, Knight Sky. I finally got a chance to save you.”

Knight Sky took a moment to think about what she was referring to, and then recalled.

“I already forgave you for that. There was nothing you could have done to help me without putting yourself in grave danger.”

“Yeah you did, but I couldn’t really forgive myself. Now, I can,” she said, looking very relieved.

Before the conversation could continue, a nurse came in wheeling a cart with trays of food.

“Ms. Dash, shouldn’t you be in your room? We took a lot of blood from you, and you shouldn’t be walking around,” the nurse asked.

“I’ll be fine,” she said with another dismissive wave of her hoof. “Besides, my friend in here is just barely alive. You really think I’m gonna just sit around and not check on him?”

The nurse gave an exasperated sigh, “Why am I arguing about friends with the Element of Loyalty? Well, since you’re here, I may as well just leave all three of your meals. Your room was my next stop anyway. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got patients waiting.”

As the nurse left, the three shared a laugh and dug into their food.

---

Celestia stood upon a cloud a few hundred meters above Ponyville. She wanted to get a good view of the overall damage of the town, and this seemed like the optimal place to do it.

Looking down below, she could see soldiers milling about, escorting the injured to the hospital and medical tents, assisting the uninjured in the rebuilding of the damaged structures, and collecting the multitude of changeling corpses for burial.

“The recovery effort goes well, sister.” Luna had flown up and joined her on the cloud.

“It does...” she said, without much enthusiasm.

“What ails you, sister?” Luna asked, concern evident in her voice. “I had thought to find you overjoyed that there were no deaths and damage only to buildings. Ponyville should be fully restored within the week. It will be cause for celebration.”

After a moment of thought, Celestia looked to the horizon and answered, “We came too close to the brink of disaster, Luna. While what Knight Sky did in helping our defense and learning of the attack ahead of time was valiant, it made me realize something. What if he hadn’t been there to help us? What if he never came to us in the first place?”

“But he was, and he did. That is all that matters.”

“My point is, Luna, it fell upon him to come to the defense of our subjects. That should not happen. Chrysalis is no longer a threat to Equestria, but I believe we have become too complacent.”

“Is that not why you authorized the establishment of a military academy here in Ponyville? In time, sister, that academy will greatly add to the strength of the Equestrian Army. Perhaps not in numbers, but you saw what Knight Sky was able to do with just nine Royal Guard and half a town’s worth of completely untrained ponies.”

Celestia made to argue the point further, but relented. Her sister had the right of it. She heaved a heavy sigh, and said, “You’re right...I suppose that leaves us in his debt.”

“Indeed it does, more so than can be settled with a medal and a job.”

“What would you suggest, Luna?”

It was Luna’s turn to be nervous, “I...have been withholding information from you regarding Knight Sky. His battle is far from over.”

The Moon Princess then informed her sister of what she’d found within Knight Sky’s mind. The slumbering beast that, against all her hopes, was getting stronger.

“Is that why you asked me not to use a healing spell?”

“Yes, and my fears were confirmed by one of his dreams. While I detest saying this, his severe injuries have bought us a significant amount of time. It would be best if his recovery were prolonged. If, say, an overly ambitious doctor were to attempt a healing spell on him, I suspect his mind would be lost the moment he reached a full recovery. It has evolved, and will simply take his mind when it wishes.”

“After all he’s done for us, it would be a crime for us to allow that to happen,” Celestia thought aloud.

“Indeed it would, sister. Indeed it would...” Luna looked out to the mountains where Canterlot awaited their return, until her older sister spoke up.

“I will post guards outside Knight Sky’s hospital room. None will enter or leave without my permission.”

After a moment's consideration, Luna replied, “Just know that I intend to see that he wins this battle. It is the very least we can do for him. Ponyville would lay in ruin were he not here to assist.”

Unbidden, images came to mind of her prized student in the captivity of the changelings...or worse. Celestia shuddered at these thoughts.

“Are you alright, sister?” Luna asked.

“Yes...but I think I’d like to check up on Twilight Sparkle. Can you handle oversight of the recovery for a while?”

Luna saw the heavy weight on her sister’s mind, and knew precisely what bothered her without even asking. She gave a warm smile and simply said, “Of course. Please tell Twilight I send my greetings.”

The white alicorn nuzzled her sister gratefully, and with a beat of her mighty wings, she flew to the town below.

---

Author's Note:

Picture of our handsome and slightly insane medic whose personality was TOTALLY NOT based on the Medic from Team Fortress 2...anyone?


Credit for this image goes to SweetAppleHonesty.

Sorry for the slightly delayed release everyone, been a crazy day! Hope you enjoyed the chapter!

-Silent Sky