• Published 1st Jun 2013
  • 2,813 Views, 69 Comments

Mind Over Might - SilentSky



A ranking strategist flees a decades long civil war only to find himself on a strange new world. But will the bloodshed simply follow him wherever he goes?

  • ...
10
 69
 2,813

CHAPTER SEVEN: BLOOD

---

Ponyville was not built to be easily defensible. The town sprawled lazily across the fields, and was not laid out in a strategically advantageous manner. Roads had a tendency to take the scenic route, and many buildings were constructed with appearance in mind rather than durability; to be expected of a peaceful countryside town, but nonetheless a disadvantage.

Knight Sky had taken command of the defense preparations. All ponies unfit to fight, which included the young, the old, and the sick, were confined to their homes, which were then fortified. The Weather Brigade was ordered to patrol the dark skies and keep them clear, reporting anything out of the ordinary.

The response from the Princesses had been prompt. The Royal Guard had been called to arms, and an army of reinforcements could be expected by dawn to join the defense.

By his orders, the Element Bearers were gathered in the town square for a briefing on their duties during the attack.

“You’re putting us on the front lines? I’m just as eager to defend the town as anypony else, but surely the most battle trained guards would be better suited there,” Twilight asked, sounding a bit shocked.

“There’s a very good reason for it. I’m about to share with you the rest of Chrysalis’ plan. She wants to capture you six alive, consume the rest of the town, and raise an army. She’ll use you as bait to get the Princesses here alone. They’ll then use an ambush to attempt to assassinate the Princesses and remove their one obstacle from feeding on all of Equestria. It is absolutely essential that not a single one of you allow yourselves to be taken captive.”

“Why the hay would we let ourselves be captured?” Rainbow Dash asked. Knight Sky did not relish what he was about to tell them.

He sighed before continuing, “You don’t realize what you may be forced to do to avoid capture. I’m putting you on the front lines because if they want to take you alive, they’ll hold back in their fighting, and not move in for the kill, which is something that you will have to do.”

Several hooves were raised to mouths in shock, and he received many frightened looks.

“Allow me to explain. Their desire to take you all alive is their greatest weakness right now. If we exploit that weakness by having you six kill any changeling that comes near you with intent to capture, that’s one less changeling that Equestria has to worry about. You slowly chip down their forces one by one. They won’t kill you, but they won’t hesitate to kill anypony else.”

They were completely unconvinced, so he got a little more personal.

“You know that I’m telling the truth when I say I know how hard it is to take a life. You’ll remember it for the rest of your days, and it won’t be a good memory, but you have to think about the other citizens here. Chrysalis herself said that she doesn’t care how many have to die, as long as she sees the Princesses beheaded. Is that something you wouldn’t kill to stop?”

That got their attention.

“If you’re willing to do absolutely anything to protect your fellow citizens and your Princesses, then you will be asked to kill. I need to know if you’re all in this one hundred percent. You must show absolutely no quarter against an enemy intent on consuming your friends and destroying your nation. I can tell that you’re all capable of far more than your appearance may bely. Any one of you who has a problem with killing to protect those you love, step forward right now.”

None of them stepped forward; in fact, Rarity suddenly jumped and looked as though she had just remembered something very important.

She ran back to her shop, shouting, “Just one moment, I’ll be right back!”

Not more than thirty seconds later, she came trotting back carrying a small box in her magical grasp.

“Rarity, what is that?” he asked.

“Well, I do believe I said I’d repair your uniform, but seeing how we learned you’re unable to ever resume your human form, I had another idea.”

She levitated the box over to Knight Sky.

“I meant to give you this gift after we took care of that nasty business inside your mind, but now seems every bit as fitting.”

He regarded her with a confused stare.

“Well go on, open it!” she insisted.

Knight Sky pulled at the tie on the box with his teeth. Inside was a neatly folded bundle of dark grey cloth.

Holding it up, it became very clear what it was. The garment was a perfect replica of his United Terran Fleet dress uniform that he’d worn as a human when he landed on this world, except made for the form of a pegasus. It even had all of his pins and medals taken straight from his old one. The gold trim was in all the right places, and somehow, it worked perfectly.

“Rarity, this is a beautiful gift, and I can’t thank you enough for it, but do you really think I should be wearing this when we’re about to go into combat?”

In a radical break from her usual attitude, she replied, “Well when else should one wear their military uniform?”

They all looked at her in utter shock, to which she replied, “Oh pish posh. Surely a fashionista such as myself can have a sense of practicality!”

Despite the ridiculousness of the situation, looking at the uniform gave him a boost in confidence.

“I’ll be right back.” he said, with a grin.

After not more than a minute inside the nearby town hall, Knight Sky emerged. He descended the front stairs to his waiting friends, looking confident and resplendent in the grey and gold of the United Terran Fleet.

He felt every bit as confident as he looked, and it wasn’t until Twilight directed his attention down to a shiny gold rectangular plate above his medals and service pins that his heart swelled with pride.

That gold plate was inscribed with none other than the name he’d assumed here, yet it also bore the rank that his service pins indicated.

He read it aloud, “Lieutenant Commander Knight Sky...Right, let’s get down to business!”

The six Element Bearers snapped to attention and awaited instructions.

“Twilight, as I understand, you’re a powerful mage. I want you performing both an offensive and defensive role: shield your friends from attack, and eliminate anything hostile that comes near you.”

“Yes, sir! And they’re your friends too!” she replied.

“Pinkie, I’ve been told you have a ‘party’ cannon at your disposal. Don’t load it with confetti. I trust you know what to load it with instead?”

She did a little bounce and said, “Of course! Cupcakes!”

He gave her a brief glare, which she laughed at and added, “Pfft, I know what to load it with.” She reached into Twilight’s ear and somehow pulled out a bag of walnut-sized heavy iron spheres, much to the unicorn’s displeasure. “I keep artillery stashed all over Equestria in case of cannon emergencies!”

“Close enough. Applejack, you’re probably the toughest here. Use your lasso, bring down their flyers, and when you have them on the ground, show no mercy.”

“Darn tootin’!” she answered, with a tip of her Stetson.

“Rarity, do you know what flechettes are?”

She thought for a moment before asking, “I don’t believe I’ve ever heard that term, why?”

“I’ve heard you’re able to easily manipulate hundreds of small objects at once with your magic. Just how many sharp pins and sewing needles do you have?”

She understood immediately, “I suppose I can part with a few to rough up our attackers...oh, who am I kidding? I’ll turn them to mush!” she enthusiastically pumped her hoof with an almost fierce grin.

“Rainbow Dash, you said you can break the sound barrier. I’ll need you to do that as often as possible as close as possible to their swarm of flyers. The shockwave will stun them out of the sky.”

“Ha! That’s gonna be fun. Let’s kick some changeling flank!”

Knight Sky briefly winced at the familiarity of this statement before turning to Fluttershy.

“Fluttershy, your Stare will be useful. Only freeze the large ones, freeze them when you’re safe, and when someone else is nearby to dispatch them...and don’t get hurt. Yours is the only power that is not explicitly attack oriented. Be careful.”

“I’ve stood up to worse than changelings. I’m not afraid, but they should be.”

Knight Sky was taken aback by her sudden ferocity, but could not help but smile.

“You all know what to do then, at dawn, we’ll fight, and we’ll win. We stand between Equestria and destruction. I almost pity Chrysalis...almost.”

Their confident grins were all he needed.

---

“Your Majesty! I came as quickly as I could,” the stallion panted.

Celestia did not turn from the balcony. “Captain Shining Armor. Is your sword sharp?”

“My sword is always sharp, Your Majesty. I assume then that this is not a drill?”

She turned to face her Captain. “This is no drill. Here, this arrived from Ponyville not an hour ago.”

He took the letter, and his eyes widened in shock as he read it.

“My...my sister sent this.”

“I believe you’ll want to be on the front lines. Is that correct?”

The stallion looked up from the letter with a stern glare, “There’s no place I’d rather be, there is something I must ask however. I’ve read the report on this Knight Sky, was he not referred to as a broken soldier? Why would a broken soldier be organizing the defense strategy? Furthermore, I’ve checked the rosters and there are no records of anypony by that name in the Royal Guard.”

Luna explained, “You did not read the full report, only what was released to the entire Royal Guard. Knight Sky may not be quite as broken as we think.”

Celestia added, “Come, we will inform you more fully on the way to the barracks. I have sent word to Cloudsdale, they will be sending as many pegasi as can be spared to pull the chariots that will carry our army to Ponyville. I must be sure that the army is ready to depart, and the sight of their Princesses at inspection will speed the process.”

As they walked down to the barracks, Celestia began, “You found no records of Knight Sky in the Equestrian Royal Armies because he was never in our army. In fact, until recently, he wasn’t even a citizen of this world.”

They filled Shining Armor in on everything they’d learned of Knight Sky and humanity since he arrived. The stallion remained stoic throughout, but it was clear to the alicorns that some of the news troubled him.

“You trust this...human-turned-pegasus enough for him to orchestrate a full-scale defense of Ponyville?” he finally asked.

Luna vouched for him, “I have seen his mind, and he is an exceptionally capable tactician. Far superior to any I’ve met in our own Royal Guard.”

“That’s not what I meant.”

“I see... For the time being, he is no threat. I have determined for myself that he is very pure of heart, and holds a very high regard for all life. Nevertheless, he knows what it is to take a life to prevent the slaughter of the innocent. He is not without scars. He has seen more combat in his short life than the entire Equestrian military has in the past five centuries,” the Moon Princess elaborated.

“What is it you mean by, ‘For the time being?’” Shining Armor asked.

“When he remembers his name, there is something that must be done. It will not be pleasant, but if he is to live, and I intend to see that he does, then when the time comes, we must be willing to do all it takes to win that battle. That, however, is a concern for another day.” Luna finished as they arrived at the barracks.

Celestia had previously heard nothing of what her sister had just told Shining Armor, but before she could inquire what all of that had meant, the captain opened the doors to reveal a scene of controlled chaos within. Hundreds of earth ponies, unicorns, and pegasi were donning armor and lining up to report to the armory.

“Inspection!” Shining Armor bellowed.

The companies all snapped to attention and lined up down the center of the barracks. He opened the doors wider to reveal the Princesses, causing a few of the closer soldiers to tense up a bit further.

The two alicorns slowly walked down the line, joining the captain in inspection.

Celestia was the first to speak, “How many of you lost friends or family in the last changeling attack? Step forward.”

Nearly half of the soldiers present stepped forward.

She looked to a group of them, “Do you want retribution?”

The entire barracks chanted as one. “Yes, Your Majesty!”

“It awaits us in Ponyville,” she said tersely.

Shining Armor asked, “‘Us,’ Your Majesty?”

“I’ve a score to settle with Chrysalis. I will not ask your wife to join us, for she is to reign while we are away from the throne,” Celestia spoke in a grim voice.

The Captain asked hesitantly, “Your Majesty...what do you intend?”

“Captain, get my armor.”

---

The fiery-maned pegasus landed gracefully before the solar Princess who was donning battle armor on her balcony and snapped a salute.

“Spitfire, Captain of the Wonderbolts, reporting as ordered!”

“At ease, Spitfire. I know the Wonderbolts have never actually been called into action for true combat, but I trust you’re all ready?”

“Absolutely, Your Highness.” she replied without a second of hesitation.

“Good. Our army departs in a half hour. Each Wonderbolt is to lead a wave of chariots that will be carrying the flightless members of our army. The pegasi will act as our air guard and protect the chariots en route in case Chrysalis anticipates our attack. Captain Shining Armor will brief you fully, report to him in the armory.”

The pegasus departed for the armory, and Celestia donned her helm, tying up her mane as she did so. Luna came to her side on the balcony, now also clad in armor, and carrying a large spiked star mace in her magical grasp.

“Sister, why do you hesitate? The time has come.” Luna asked.

With trepidation in her voice, Celestia answered, “Because when I raise my Sun, I will be initiating the attack on Ponyville.”

“It must be done. Do not make me do it for you,” Luna said sternly.

Celestia looked at her sister, self-doubt etched over her features. Luna returned an intense glare.

“Now is not the time for flagging will, sister. The Equestrian Army has not been mustered in over a thousand years, and a mighty enemy bears down upon the heart of our nation. By raising the Sun, yes, you will be giving the enemy their signal to attack, but you will also be giving the light of hope to those who fight for those they love. You look fearsome in your armor, but your will must match that ferocity. I believe it does. I believe in you, sister.”

As her doubts melted away, Celestia smiled at her sister and closed her eyes. She pulled her Sun forth as Luna gave her Moon a nudge to the horizon.

With confident nods to one another, the armored alicorns took wing to the waiting legions.

---

As small as the Royal Guard detachment in Ponyville was, the armory was fairly limited. Only the guards themselves, plus a few of the most physically adept ponies in town were armed. Knight Sky took a sharp spear for himself. He was never the close quarters combat master that Adra was, but he did have significant training.

“You know you can’t win this. You should have taken her offer.” Adra’s voice said to him.

I don’t know what’s happened to you, but I have friends to protect now. So be silent... He replied mentally.

They stood in a line behind a makeshift barricade protecting the only open entrance to the town, the six Element bearers, Knight Sky, as well as the five earth ponies of the local Royal Guard, and their chief, who eyed Knight Sky’s uniform suspiciously.

“Knight Sky, what exactly are you wearing?” the guard asked.

“You are looking at the dress uniform of an officer of the United Terran Fleet. I don’t expect you to have heard of it,” he replied flatly.

“I haven’t, but I hope its officers are as formidable as their uniforms appear,” he replied, derisive doubt obvious in his voice.

Knight Sky paused a moment before asking, “What’s your name?”

“Sergeant Steel Gear, Head of the Ponyville Royal Guard,” he replied proudly.

“Steel Gear, have you ever taken a life?” Knight Sky asked, without looking away from the edge of the forest where they expected the changelings to emerge.

“What?! No! Absolutely not!”

Knight Sky snorted derisively and jumped up onto the barricade.

He addressed all of them, those holding the barricade, and the citizens behind it ready to aid. “When the Sun rises, you will face an enemy that intends to consume you. They want to consume you that they may raise an army against your Princesses and your nation. They will show no mercy. I know the very idea of killing is almost unheard of here, but you will have to do things today that you will not forget. Do not take it lightly, for killing is the worst thing you will ever do, but to save hundreds of thousands of innocent lives from a vicious enemy intent on conquest, it is what must be done! Today, you face a choice: kill, or be killed and allow others to be killed. If that very idea disgusts you, lay down your arms and leave. There is no shame. But if you are ready to do whatever it takes to protect the ones you love, then steel yourselves, find your valor, and show no quarter!”

As he finished, the Sun peeked over the horizon and glinted off of Knight Sky’s golden nameplate on his uniform. He turned out from the town to face the swarm, and as promised, there appeared a cloud of black creatures flying from within the forest and heading straight for them.

It was far smaller than he’d expected, perhaps twenty or thirty changelings. Suspiciously, however, Chrysalis herself was nowhere to be found. There was no time to wonder.

Knight Sky shouted, “Rainbow Dash, go!”

With a fierce grin, the blue pegasus darted up high into the sky. She shrank to no more than a point, almost indistinguishable if not for her prismatic mane and tail, and suddenly darted back down, straight for the swarm of changelings.

Knight Sky watched her and the changelings as she sped toward them, leaving a rainbow contrail, and they sped towards the town with hungry jaws agape.

His eyes darted between them, and just when it looked like the swarm would reach the town, a deafening crack split the air, and a colorful shockwave exploded from the swarm.

Stunned and badly injured changelings rained down upon the town, and were regarded with confusion by the ponies that had volunteered to defend the town.

Knight Sky did not let them hesitate, “Now!”

Shaken from their confusion, they remembered what he’d told them, and just as one snapped at a nearby earth pony, a spear burst through its neck, and was yanked back by Knight Sky.

At that, they all erupted and laid waste to the stunned and injured changelings that were slowly coming to.

Within minutes, the twenty or thirty stunned changelings became twenty or thirty bloodied corpses. One of the townsponies shouted, “We did it! We’re safe!”

“No! You’re not safe, and this certainly isn’t over.” Knight Sky retorted. “Everyone hold your lines! That was just the opening strike. Rainbow Dash, they may not fall for that trick again, but be ready.”

“I was born ready, Knight Sky!” she replied with a cocky grin.

He was about to reply when one of the ponies came up behind him with a spearhead in hoof.

There was a shower of sharp pins all around him, and Knight Sky turned around to see the barely recognizable bloody form of one of the local residents turn back into a now dead changeling.

“Good catch, Rarity. You all see why we must show no mercy now. Don’t be afraid. Think of your family, think of your friends. You are here to protect them.”

Just as he finished a second wave of changelings came from the forest. This one was similarly sized, but flying in two separate groups.

“Rainbow Dash, you know what to do.”

---

Celestia’s Sun had been up for nearly a half hour, and the town fought off wave after wave of changelings with surprising ease. Their black corpses slowly began to build up behind the walls.

After the fourth wave, Knight Sky said with the hint of a confident grin, “I can see why Chrysalis wanted a strategist, she doesn’t seem to have a clue what she’s doing.”

Just as he said it, Steel Gear motioned for him to look back to the forest. To Knight Sky’s horror, a massive swarm, far larger than any of the previous waves, rose from the forest. This time, however, Chrysalis herself led them.

She belted in an unnaturally loud voice, “Feast, my changelings! Feast!”

The swarm descended upon the town, leaving Chrysalis completely unprotected; Knight Sky got a crazy thought in his head.

As he was about to act on it, the bloodbath began. Shouts of battle, and the clang of teeth against what little armor could be found dominated the air. Here and there, ponies were struck with a green slime that glued them to the ground, immobilizing some of his fighters.

Twilight was casting spells faster than any rapidfire plasma cannon he’d seen, and changelings exploded in a shower of entrails left and right.

Rainbow Dash flew nimbly through the air, relying on her speed to deliver hard physical blows to changelings with her bare hooves.

Pinkie Pie pointed her cannon at a large group of changelings rushing the barrier, and opened fire. There was little left of them, and the pink mare vanished underneath the barrier, somehow emerging from the barrel of the cannon seconds later with another bag of iron projectiles in hoof.

Applejack’s lasso was a force to be reckoned with, for every changeling it found was dragged out of the air and bucked in the head. Her orange hooves were stained green with changeling blood.

There were clouds of sharp metal pins flying in all directions under Rarity’s control as changeling after changeling dissolved out of the air in a mist of green blood.

The time for strategy was over, and the fighting had begun. The number of insect-like changeling corpses steadily grew, and yet it seemed that they just kept coming. The ponies that fought to defend the town were doing so valiantly, but they could not be expected to do so all day long. Wounds and weariness would begin to take their toll if reinforcements did not arrive soon.

He took a breath to look over to the Element Bearers. It appeared the changelings were indeed intent on capturing them rather than killing them, exactly as planned. There was, however, one problem, as he could not see Fluttershy.

He began to worry as he looked around and did not find her, until he looked to Chrysalis.

Fluttershy had Chrysalis locked in the Stare, and the changeling queen was in the midst of charging her horn, clearly preparing a spell against the pegasus.

Knight Sky’s blood ran cold, and then boiled as he realized what he had to do. He spread his wings and charged, shouting, “Don’t you dare!”

He reached Fluttershy and shoved her out of the way just as a torrent of bright green magic emerged from Chrysalis’ jagged horn, missing them both.

“Get back behind the barrier now!” he shouted, putting himself between her and the changeling queen.

“I-I’m sorry! She was-”

“Now!”

He heard flapping behind him, and Chrysalis regarded him with cruel, cold eyes.

“You could have had everything you wanted. Why did you have to be a fool and fight me?!”

“You actually think you know me...you think you know what I want. What makes you think I ever wanted my human form back? What delusion are you under to think I want my old memories so badly?!”

“You’re a human.You are vain, greedy creatures all. I know what you want, and I will take it from you!”

Before he had a chance to react, she charged her horn and unleashed a pulse directly past him, he could only watch in horror as it struck the pegasus who, despite his direct orders, refused to leave his side.

Knight Sky caught her an instant before she hit the ground, noticing that her chest glowed a hideous green where the curse hit her.

“What were you doing?! I told you to leave!” he said, the tears welling up.

“S-she was going to kill you...I had to give her the Stare...had to stop her...it doesn’t hurt anymore...I’m okay, Knight Sky... I won’t leave you...” Fluttershy whispered back.

“No...not again! Don’t die!” he screamed.

Rainbow Dash heard the shouts, and bolted from her position to Knight Sky’s side.

“Dash! Get her to safety! Don’t let her fall asleep! Fluttershy, you’re going to live. That’s an order you’re going to obey...I have business to take care of here.” he said menacingly.

“I’m on it! Hang in there, Fluttershy. Don’t worry, I gotcha.” the colorful pegasus took off, carrying Fluttershy in the direction of the hospital.

---

As Ponyville came into view, Celestia became aware of mumblings of her soldiers behind her. She was about to have Shining Armor bring them to attention to silence it when she saw the reason for their hushed speech.

Away from the battle in town, there was a confrontation occurring just beyond a hastily built barricade. She could easily recognize Chrysalis down on the ground. Confronting her was a single pegasus clad in a dark grey and gold garment that matched his coat and mane, and armed only with a spear.

Celestia cast a quick telescopic spell on her own eyes and got a good look at him from far away. It became clear that he wore a uniform of some kind, and on that uniform was a nameplate that she strained her eyes to read. Once she read it however, she made a decisive move, and used the Voice once more.

“SOLDIERS OF EQUESTRIA! FINISH THE BATTLE WITHIN THE TOWN! WE WILL CONFRONT CHRYSALIS!”

---

Knight Sky turned back to the changeling queen.

“My my, how disgustingly touching. I told you I know what you want. Of course I won’t kill her...yet.” she licked her fangs sickeningly, “How pathetic it is that you left your own people behind and exiled yourself here only to find bloodshed following you wherever you go,” she said condescendingly.

“I...will kill you where you stand.” he growled.

Her expression changed immediately from cool condescension to intense hostility, “Oh, will you now?! Do you not know who you address?! Your death will be long and drawn out, and when I finish with you, I will torture her first! Her screams will be the music that brings forth the downfall of this country!”

“Do you not know who you address, you disgusting, worthless little insect?!

It was clear from her shocked glare that she’d never been spoken down to before, but he didn’t give her a chance to reply.

“I am Lieutenant Commander Daniel Tarian of the United Terran Fleet! And I won’t stand for the murder of the innocent! You signed your own death warrant when you set hoof in this town, and you chose your own executioner when you hurt her!”

Without giving her a chance to block, he charged forth, propelled by his grey wings and a burning rage unlike any he’d ever known. It almost felt like this creature was the very embodiment of all the hatred that resulted in the Great Burning, and represented the bloodlust of the Faction itself. An entire life’s worth of righteous anger pushed him to attack a creature he wouldn’t otherwise have the strength or skill to stand a chance against.

He thrust his spear forth and it struck her hard in the shoulder.

“Aaggh! You’ll pay for that!” she screamed, and reached out to him with her magic in an attempt to grab him.

He nimbly dodged her first grab, and the second. Knight Sky bolted up into the air, dodging her grabs and striking her with his spear. She blocked every hit, but he avoided every one of her attacks. His wings were tired, and his forelegs were sore, but his adrenaline had taken over and he struck her relentlessly, eluding and attacking without pause.

They were both nearly a hundred meters over the battle when his spear struck home on her opposite shoulder, opening another wound. Just as he saw her green blood spill forth, however, her hoof came down on his spear, shattering it to pieces. In his shock, he was too slow to dodge her next attack. She held him tight in a magical grasp.

“You fool! Did you honestly think you could beat me?”

He glared at her fiercely, but it did little to hold off the pain. Contrary to the torture she’d inflicted upon him previously, Knight Sky suddenly felt himself plunged into icy water. His breath was cut off, and his wings pulled back unnaturally and twisted hard. The pain was unimaginable. He tried desperately to scream, but his mouth was forced shut.

“Do not bother begging for death, for I will not grant you that mercy so quickly. Your agony is far too delicious.”

Just when he could swear his wings were about to be torn off, the pain vanished. Just as his lungs burned for air, he was able to breathe again, and his wings relaxed. He felt himself suspended in a different magical grasp. This one was not cold and hateful; it was much warmer, and he felt his wounds healing. He opened his eyes to see who he could only assume to be Princess Celestia. Her sister flew alongside her. Soaring down from behind her and headed straight for the battle in town were hundreds of soldiers, the promised reinforcements whose presence would turn the tide of the battle.

Luna held him in a protective shield of magic, as Celestia unleashed a furious attack against Chrysalis. Knight Sky then felt incredibly glad to have chosen the right side.

Celestia bore down upon the changeling queen like an oppressive desert sun, looking glorious and intimidating in her gilded armor. Her narrowed eyes betrayed a fierce desire to protect her subjects, and what almost looked like a ravenous hunger for vengeance.

Chrysalis, on the other hand, quickly realized she was suddenly completely out of her league. Her eyes were frantic as Celestia’s golden beam forced back her defensive spell.

She cried, “Not this! No!”

Celestia’s beam connected with the jagged black horn, which gave a hideously shrill cracking sound, and shattered.
Luna carried him to the ground as her older sister forcibly held down the incapacitated Chrysalis. The massive army descended upon the battle, and changelings began fleeing immediately, though none were allowed to escape alive.

When they reached the ground, Luna released him and asked, “Knight Sky, are you alright?”

He staggered briefly and caught himself, “I’m okay, a bit lightheaded, but alive. Fluttershy is wounded.”

Luna nodded, “We brought medics among our reinforcements, they will most likely be attending her soon.”

He allowed himself a moment’s relief, “Good. And Princess...”

“Yes?”

He hesitated a moment before answering, “I’ve remembered my name,”

“That can wait until this battle is won. My sister desires to speak with you.”

Luna turned and brandished a spiked star mace with her magic and galloped into the battle, her silver armor glinting in the sunlight.

Knight Sky returned to Celestia’s side, and they both stood facing the unconscious changeling queen, now released from the solar princess’s grip.

“You are Knight Sky?” she asked tersely, without removing her gaze from the black figure on the ground.

“Yes I am.”

“It was foolish to attack her on your own. She is very powerful, and very cruel. That you managed to inflict any wounds on her at all is nothing short of a miracle. Had we arrived any later, your life would have been forfeit.”

“I thought I could buy time for the reinforcements to arrive by stalling her, and then when she hurt Fluttershy, she awoke a rage within me that I was hard pressed to control.”

She raised an eyebrow, “Do you love Fluttershy?”

He was shocked by her question, but answered honestly, “Yes. Yes I do.”

“Then we must see to it that you survive. It now appears that we both have a score to settle with this one.”

Celestia spread her wings aggressively as Chrysalis came to, moaning in pain.

“...you.” She groaned as she began dragging herself towards the two of them. Knight Sky noticed her sharp, dismembered horn on the ground beside him, and he stealthily took it with his wing.

“No further, changeling. You have committed unforgivable crimes and will answer for them.”

“I swear...I’ll kill you...” she said as she limped towards Celestia. Knight Sky noticed green light gathering behind the stump of her horn, as did Celestia.

“You must realize if you try that, you’ll die.” Celestia said.

“If I die...if I die, I’m taking you with me!”

“No, you’re not!” Knight Sky shouted.

Chrysalis barely had time to form a look of fear. No sooner had she heard that shout that she turned to see an enraged Knight Sky charging toward her in midair, wielding her own sharpened horn.

The horn connected with her throat just as the tempest of magic spilled forth.

---

It all happened too quickly for Celestia to stop it. In the storm of hostile magic, it wasn’t exactly clear what had happened, but in chaotic spells like that, chaotic things tend to happen.

Chrysalis lay dead, her head still attached to her body by little more than a few tendons, and her skull split wide open where the base of her horn once was.

Knight Sky was on the ground before her, his uniform was torn and stained with her blood, and his own. Worried for his survival, Celestia knelt down beside him.

“Knight Sky, can you hear me?” He did not respond. The black jagged horn was impaled through the foreleg that previously held it. Dark grey shreds of his uniform and white chunks of shattered bone clung to its tip. His body sparked and twitched from the torrent of hostile magic he was just subjected to, and the pool of crimson blood he lay in rapidly grew ever larger as his shallow breathing grew weaker.

Celestia picked him up with her magic and looked around. Not a single changeling remained alive. Her army had stood victorious for several minutes already, though they did not cheer. They all witnessed what had just happened. They watched a pegasus sacrifice himself to stop Chrysalis and save the life of their leader.

Instead of cheering, they merely stood at attention and saluted as Celestia strode past, carrying the heavily bleeding and unconscious soldier to the hospital.

---

Author's Note:

Fancy drawing of Knight Sky in his snazzy United Fleet uniform? Sure!

Credit for this artwork goes to Himawari-chan.
Sorry the bottom is a little cut off. I'm looking for someone to make a not-cut-off drawing.