• Published 5th Jun 2013
  • 677 Views, 2 Comments

The Dragon and The Moon - Dragon-Heart



Exploring a tale behind Luna's transformation

  • ...
3
 2
 677

Chapter 5: Training

I was added into the ranks of the others that were chosen to begin their training as guards, this covered most of the training I had to do but there were a lot more tasks ahead of me. A lot was expected of as I tend to have many tricks under my hat and many of the tasks that I would most likely face will call for a high stamina, a strong physic, quick reflexes, and casting multiple spells. The first of my tests began with the royal arcane teacher Rune Digger, who seemed to give off a strange aurora of magic, we were also joined by Princess Celestia who no doubt wanted to see my full magic potential.

"The princess has informed me that an earth pony as yourself is able to cast spells only unicorns can cast and that you were to able to cast an incantation that stopped a dragon. How were you able to learn all this mysterious spells?" he asked,

"I traveled for many of my young years and have learned from many talented individuals." my answer seem to further grow their curiosity.

"Very well, we will begin with a simple task." Rune Digger brings out what seem to be a large cube with strange symbols and grid lines, "This box is used to test those who we have little information of what kind of magic they can control. When you are ready cast the spells you know and we will go from there." he returns to his spot next to the princess.

I studied the cube following the grid lines and trying to decipher the symbols if possible, it seemed to be just random on a cube. Starting with something simple I concentrated and was able to lift the cube a few feet off the ground, then began to test a theory by trying to turn a cube's face, to my surprise it was moveable like a interlock mechanism. I could feel the two staring as I try to solve the cube's secret, after a random combination of turns the symbols began to faintly glow and felt a surge of energy flowing from the cube, challenging this new energy I was able to morph the cube into a floating bubble of water, a series of whispers were exchanged between the teacher and princess.

"Very impressive," he congratulated as he moved closer to inspect the floating bubble, "I've never seen skilled unicorns able to do this in their first attempts. You are a gifted one."

"Indeed he is." Celestia joined Rune Digger in the examination of the bubble, "And from years of traveling and learning from different individuals, you've proven yourself being able to use logic with your magic to solve problems. Now let's begin in teaching you a few new spells." she walked into the next, looking towards Rune Digger he signals to follow.

After a few hours of training with Celestia and Rune Digger, I was to head to the training grounds for the Pegasuses that were recruited, I was to be tested and trained by their greatest flyer by the name of Dasher. The training grounds themselves were found on top of a giant mesa surrounded by a sea of clouds, there a few scattered buildings on the mesa and if one looked up you could see what was most likely a courses one would fly through. Arriving to what I believed was the main building I could hear voices growing louder behind the set of doors, eventually opening as two Pegasuses trot out, the second had difficulty trying to keep up with the one talking.

"I have hard time believing in the idea of a pony with the wings of a dragon, sounds more like a terrible fairy tail that fester from drunks." halting in the middle of the grounds, "Where is this infamous character everypony keeps talking about?"

She seemed like something out of a story as well as she stood with confidence on her back, a short mane that reflected the colors of a rainbow, her wings stood out the most as they looked like they can handle hurricanes with ease but had a gentle feel from what seem to look like soft feathers. Stepping forward I was greeted by a stare of annoyance which damaged my own confidence a little, she begins to walk around me, examining me before standing in front me again.

"I don't see how you can him, I don't even see wings on you."
forgetting that I was air lifted here I reveal my wings, as wisps of fire formed at both sides and dispersed outward, it brought many surprised faces all around especially on Dasher as she watches wings take place of the fire.

"How?" she begins examine my wings, pulling one out to its full wing span, others wanting to get close stopped a short distance.

"You must be a good flyer with these wings."
"They have gotten me out of trouble." stating honestly as I could,

"Hmm, well let's see them in action. You are going the run that course furthest from the rest and try to the best time holder of it." before I could get a quick overlook of the course, she clicks her stopwatch and shouts, "Go!"

With the command said, I use the full strength of my wings to lift me into the air and spearhead toward the course little knowing that this particular one was the most advance and difficult one to run. With high speed wind tunnels forcing back or around, clouds releasing rain and the occasional lighting missing by inches, snow and mist to slow you down and obscure the vision. The ultimatum of the course was the debris that was thrown in at the end of the course, branches, rocks, and other materials that would get taken by hurricane winds was chaotically flying around, got clipped a few times exiting the course. Landing back at the main building like a bird that just flew through a storm, I still stood to attention and waited for the results of my run. Dasher looks down at the stopwatch, turns to the clipboard, then stares back at me as a small smile appears on her face.

"Your flight was a little sloppy but you were able to get through one of our toughest course and match the record time as well."
Feeling confident I asked, "And who is the holder of this record?"

"Mine." she answered as her smile turned into a grin.

I was taken by surprised as the large around us all gasped at the idea of a newcomer as able to match the time of one the greatest flyer they know, they must have appeared after I flew towards the course. Dasher walked towards a white line that was drawn on the ground and began to remove her equipment before stating,

"I have one more test before I return you to the ground." she extend and retracted her wings a few times.
Taking the spot next to her, "What is the test?" I asked.

"Race me." at the sound of this the group began to crowed around, all trying to have good view of their known flyer take on a stranger with the wings of a dragon.
"Very well." taking a few stretches myself, we took our stance.

The crowd began to cheer on Dasher to win but few can be heard chanting for the newcomer, as the second Pegasus from earlier stood in front of us with her wings up. One final glance between us, she lowers her wings, and the last that is seen from the crowd is the two launching into the air neck-n-neck.

The final part of my training was back at the castle grounds with the Guard Captain himself, a very passionatefellow. The training mostly consisted of him yelling and I going through very rigorous drills with the trainees making it more difficult for me. Covering any situation that I might face with any added surprises and building up my stamina and physic to be able to withstand the said situations, also trained with weapons and shields to have an understanding of the tools I would need when provided with. He had the trainees spar with me using the weapons but after the few that were knocked they began to fear serious injury as I was able to hurt many of them with little effort.

"Good work filly," That is really getting annoying, "You seem to handle everything thrown at you with ease. Now to test your skill in unarmed combat, as I've seen you made a reputation between the others that is why you will face me." Second getting challenged by the best here, next it will be a supernatural being. We entered into a ring found near the outer wall of the grounds, we took either side and readied ourselves, at least only a few are here to watch this.

***

Closing the last of my favorite books that can be found in the library I decided stretch a little and get some fresh air out on the balcony. The day was coming to an end as everything seems to slow down as the sun sets, lights begin to turn on, animals head home, all is calm......What is that noise? A small distinctive drone can be heard, looking over the balcony it seem to be generating from somewhere else, flying to the outer wall of the grounds I begin my search of the noise. Reaching one of the towers the noise became more distinguishable; sounded like cheering, looking towards the grounds found the origin of the noise. A few of the guards were around a small ring were two others were seem to be sparring in the ring, I take a seat on top of the small tower to get better view of the fight, it was really interesting seeing two fight like this. I was able to make out the two in the ring, it was the Guard Captain himself and to my surprise Dragon-Heart both seem to be at equal strengths; the Captain does a low sweep and Dragon-Heart jumps and counters with kick but it is also re-countered, This is really exciting. They kept at it as the moon rose over them, both looked as they never even began, sometimes they would stop but maintain their stance and kept eyes locked on each other, few of the guards that remained cheered and drew bets on who would give first.

Deciding to add a little entertaining commentary, "Is not one of you strong enough to win my blessing?"

Almost all of them jumped in fright in hearing my voice, most try to hide the fact they were betting, others acted innocent in the situation, but only one didn't get distracted and was given the upper hand as the Captain tries to finish Dragon-heart with one strike, easily it is foiled as he blocks the incoming attack but sacrificing some of his balance as he is pushed towards the ground.

"You shouldn't let anything distract you from the opponent in front of you." Dragon-Heart tries to regain his lost balanced but is kept locked in place, "Looks like I take this victory today."

But as he finished those words all Dragon-Heart did was grin as his eyes changed, his wing swiped at the Captain's legs, and tosses him out the ring. The look of surprise all around as they tried to fully process of ring out, the Captain walked back to the ring laughing a hardy laugh, many had frowns as they lost their bits on the match, and I felt relieved that I didn't cost him the match.

"So it is decided. My blessing goes to you Dragon-Heart, personal guardian of the moon." I might have overdone just a bit, as he tried to hide the blush in his face but his blush seemed to try to take his whole face.

"That was very clever of you, giving your opponent the sense of victory then removing the ground beneath them. Princess, looks like you bagged yourself a real guard here."

"Don't be silly. He may be my personal guard he stills need a little more work if we wants the full moon's blessing." blushing at the fact of how cliche that sounded, I played it along trying at a seductress stance.

"Well isn't someone in the fire. Come on Dragon-Heart I will show were you will be staying."

Before they headed out Dragon-Heart looked up at me before he did a small bow, surprised, I smiled and returned the small bow, he then quickly followed the Captain. *Chuckling* He is a very interesting one, a stallion of earth that is able to tame dragons, use some magic that would take time to learn, and yet he becomes a very shy nervous one around me. Returning to my chamber, picked up the necklace he brought onto me and had the moonlight shine of the gem, it began to glow a bright green aurora. I've never met one like him, he has that sort of fire in him that heroes have in stories as they fight for the damsel they hold dear. Pausing in thought, Could I have those same feelings for someone that I just met? Could I find an answer in these stories or is it my story that I must write?