• Published 5th Jun 2013
  • 677 Views, 2 Comments

The Dragon and The Moon - Dragon-Heart



Exploring a tale behind Luna's transformation

  • ...
3
 2
 677

Chapter 2: A call for Royal Guards

Trade's Crossroad, not much of a bustling town or even considered to be a town in some cases, but it is a cozy place to stay for now, everypony knows each other well and take care of each other. On the side that enters into the forest you have a small tavern called The Iron shoe, across from it a postal office, as you venture a little further you'll find Crossroad's General Store, Stitch's Boutique, a small tent with a sign Dragon's Rest written on it, and Sisters Glass Works. Not many stores to find but we get a good flow of ponies through here, I head towards the tavern to have a chat with the bartender about the little job I just finished.

As I entered, the smell of wine and cider in the air is strong, some tables were occupied by patrons and others were wondering about, the bartender serves a mug to one of the patrons and notices me at the entrance, he calls me over. Reaching the bar and taking a seat, I pull out the two pearls from the satchel and place them on the counter,

"Got those pearls you wanted." he simply picks them up and examines them for a few seconds, before finally smiling, "You did well today," placing the pearls away "and your reward, a 100 bits."

He drops a small purse full of coins in front of me, pulling oout a coin I place it on the counter and place the purse in my satchel. As he serves me a drink, he brings an interesting topic,

"Dragon-Heart, where are you going in life?" I give him a stern look,

"For someone that crafts jewelery with gems that he finds on his you have to have some very good skills. I have given jobs that others would turn away but you finished them in a breeze."

I nod in agreement taking a long swig from the drink "What I'm trying to get at is, have you ever maybe considered in joining the Royal Guard?"

for a few seconds I didn't respond, I know he means well and from the mark on his cheek I could tell he probably served with them once, always good in picking ponies out.

"I did always wanted to visit Canterlot, but I don't think I would be a very good guard."
"Nonsense with your set a skills you can probably be a captain or maybe becoming a personal guard for one of the princesses."

A patron waves him over, as he leaves I begin to stir the idea around my head of becoming a personal guard, taking another sip begins to make me smile as it helps play the image of me becoming a personal guard for Princess Luna, when I first saw her I got a romantic crush on her. I have only seen her once while I flew over Canterlot's castle one night, on a balcony with the wind in her face, her mane flowing, her coat glowing in the moonlight, I was stunned by her beauty, the most beautiful mare I have ever seen. Lost in my thoughts I didn't notice the bartender return with a big smirk on his face

"Oh I know that look very well." I must of been blushing, stuttering my response "What?..uh, s-sure why not." quickly I chug down the rest of the drink and made haste for the exit before I further embarrass myself.

Dragon's Rest, my little tent store of rare and exotic gems, necklaces and services, also my home when I am not out venturing out for gems or helping others for favors. In the main area you will find three small display cases, each holding different types of rubies, sapphires, emeralds, and diamonds, a few necklaces, out back you'll find a small furnace where I do most of my work and a trail leading to a few sets of caves. A profession in gem crafting is not much of busy work but it is satisfying when customers would thank me for the work, many even bring a few tough orders which are always fun to do. As I setup to finish a large order I can hear the flap of the tent swish in the air,

"Welcome to Dragon's Rest, where you can find the rarest gems, exquisite jewelry , and if we don't have it we will find it." as I turn I was surprised to see two royal guards standing in the opening.

"Are you the one known as Dragon-Heart?" asked one of the guards, "Yes that's me, how can I be a service?" the second guard moves forward

"Earlier there seem to be a disturbance in the Everfree forest and witnesses say you arrived back after the commotion. You wouldn't happen to be involved in some way?"

keeping a calm face "No I wouldn't. I was in a few caves when I heard a dragon roar, it seemed to be searching for something from the frequent roars." both stare back like stone statues, it was hard to tell if they believed me or not.

"Very well then that is all we needed to know." they begin to head out as I returned to my work "Wait." damn, so close "The princess has requested that she would like one of your necklace with an green gem."

my ears perk up, could it be that Luna was the one who requested his work? Controlling my emotions "May I ask, which princess asked for this?" they remained quiet for a while before one of them responded "Princess Celestia requested it as a gift for princess Luna." doing a small twitch as I prevented myself from jumping "Very well, it will be the very best work of craftsman in Equestria."

Days passed quickly as I worked excitedly on the necklace for Luna, had to return to the forest to find the perfect green fire ruby which it involved in being chased down by another dragon through the forest, and being revisited by the two very same guards from before, couldn't hide the fact I was smoldering in smoke, upon which I asked where would I deliver the necklace,

"Head towards the castle grounds where those who want to join the royal guards will be." End of the fifth day, the necklace has been shaped, the fire ruby polished, I insert it into the slot and exhale a small wisp of fire into the gem to give it a small glow, I hold it up to the moonlight and it begins to glow brighter.

"The necklace came out perfectly, hopefully Celestia would let me present this to Luna." making sure no one was around I gave the ruby small kiss before placing it in an elegant wooden box, looking up to the moon one final time, glowing bright behind Canterlot, I bow my head and chant a small dragon prayer I picked up before heading back into the tent.

***

In one of the many libraries found within the castle Stargazer's assistant, Spark Runner was searching for a book, a very well known book with a lot of history behind it. His professor is working on a theory about how dragons react around the objects they horde as treasure. Is there some sort of connection? Or is it just another need? The book he is searching for is a glossary on the different types of dragons written by a researcher who studied dragons for many years, from when they were eggs up to the very moods it develops, and rumors have spread that his son was able to earn the dragons trust to communicate with them, he even received a very rare gift from an elder dragon.

"Here it is." locating the book, headed back to his professor, "Wonder what we will find within this book and with the test of our theory?" as he muttered to himself, Spark doesn't realize the set of gears that were set into motion by finding the book.