• Published 6th Mar 2012
  • 1,002 Views, 5 Comments

The Wind In Your Mane, The Sand In Your Hooves - RainbowDashian



My February Write-Off entry. The mane six go to the beach.

  • ...
11
 5
 1,002

The Fifth Day

The next day, Twilight woke up to a pegasus knocking on the window. She was holding a piece of paper that read:

SURFING COMPETITION IN THREE HOURS!
LAST MINUTE SIGN-UP AT THE SURF SHOP!

Twilight put on her bathing suit and rushed out of the hotel.

She arrived at the surf shop and had to wait in line. For two hours. Then she finally got to sign up. After this, she waited for them to give her a board. They didn't when she asked, they said that she had to use her own. So, she had to buy a surfboard.

When she walked up to shore, Jake spotted her and ran over. "What are you doing?" He asked. "You just learned how to surf yesterday."

"Well," Twilight said. "I don't think I'm going to drown. And besides, it's probably the only surf competition I'll ever get to be in."

"Just be careful." Jake said, walking back into the audience.

The competition started a half hour later. There were one hundred ponies in the competition, of which only fifteen were mares. The first five rounds were simply three-minute time sections in which the bad surfers were weeded out from the good ones. By the end of the first five rounds, the other members of the mane six had arrived. Also, there were only thirty six ponies left in the competition, and only four of them were mares.

The next to rounds were time rounds. Each pony had to, in turn, ride a wave. The ten ponies who stayed on their board longest moved on to the seventh, final round. Twilight placed fourth in this, moving on. There were now only two mares.

The final round was a trick round. Twilight wasn't prepared for this, being that she'd only known how to surf for about twelve hours. Thankfully, she got to go last, so she was able to learn how to do tricks from the other ponies that went before her.

The other mare, also a unicorn, walked up to Twilight and started talking to her. "Hey," She said. "Is that a new board?" She asked. She yanked it out from underneath Twilight. "This is so shiny!"

"Hey," Twilight said. "Give it back!" She grabbed it.

"I just wanted to look at it!" The unicorn said, strengthening her grip. They yanked back and forth until the unicorn let go. The surfboard was skewered on Twilight's horn. "Oops." The unicorn said. A horn blared from the judges table. "Guess it's my turn." The unicorn left.

"Oh no!" Twilight said, studying the hole in her board. It was big enough to fit her hoof through, and it was near the center, wear most of the water was concentrated. "I can't surf with this board!" She looked at the judge's clock. "And I'm next! I don't have enough time to buy a new one!"

The horn blared. It was Twilight's turn now.

Twilight paddled out in to the water, pressing her belly up against the hole in the middle of the board, so she didn't sink. As she approached the wave, she hopped up on her feet. Water began to gush through the hole. Twilight accidentally did a few spins and jumps on her way up the side of the wave, because she was afraid the board would sink. This continued on throughout the wave, until, in the middle of a flip, Twilight realized that what she was doing as a precautionary measure against sinking were tricks. Everypony was clapping when she made it back to shore.

While the judges spent a few minutes deciding who won, Twilight ran back to her friends. "Wow, Sugarcube!" Applejack said. "That was amazing!"

"Yeah," Rainbow Dash said. "It was pretty cool."

"I agree." Fluttershy said.

"Me too!" Rarity agreed.

"Me three!" Pinkie Pie exclaimed.

Suddenly the horn blared again. Everypony gathered around the judges table. the ten contestants lined up.

One of the judges started speaking. "In tenth place, with eight points, John Redwood." He said. "In ninth place, with ten points, Thomas Eliot." The judge continued on like this. Finally, there were only three ponies left. Twilight, the mare that sabotaged her board, and a bright blue colt. "In second place," The judge continued. "With twenty-eight points, Isaiah Strong!" The colt walked over and stood on the second place stand.

"And in first place," the judge said. "With a perfect score of thirty is -" He paused. "Twilight Sparkle!"

Twilight was amazed. She never thought that she would win. Especially since she had just learned how to surf the night before. She walked over and stood on the firs place pedestal. Somepony placed a large trophy, adorned with a surfing pony, in front of her, and put a medal around her neck.

Tons of reporter ponies flocked around her. She could only catch one or two words from each question. Finally, she said, "I didn't expect to win. I just learned how to surf last night. And, about the tricks, I had a hole in my board. I was trying not to sink

Twilight grabbed her trophy in her mouth. Then she used magic to teleport out of the crowd and into the hotel room. Being that it was one of the hardest spells she'd ever used, she immediately fell asleep on the floor.

She woke up in her bed. It was dark outside. Rainbow Dash was yelling at her. "Do you have any idea how worried we were?"

"Yeah Sugarcube." Applejack said. "We couldn't find you."

"I'm sorry." Twilight apologized. She looked at the clock. It was 1:30 AM. "Oh my gosh!" She said. "I'm late!" She jumped out of bed.

"Late for what?" Fluttershy asked.

"I told Jake I'd meet him an hour ago!" Twilight said, grabbing her bag and running out of the room slamming the door.

She found Jake sitting and watching the waves. "I'm sorry I'm late." Twilight said.

"It's fine." Jake said, not turning around to face her.

"What's wrong?" Twilight asked.

"It's nothing." Jake said.

Twilight walked over and sat in front of Jake. "What's wrong?" She repeated.

Jake sighed. "You could have died out there." He said.

"But I didn't."

"But you could have. And that's what's wrong. You had me worried sick. You just learned how to surf last night. Not to mention you used a broken board. You should have quit when that unicorn sabotaged it."

"But, Jake, -"

"No buts. You could have died, Twilight. I love you . I don't want you to get hurt."

A tear rolled down Twilight's cheek. "I love you, too." She said. They kissed.

"You have to leave in a few hours." Jake said, pulling away.

"That's a few hours away." Twilight replied, and kissed him again.

"But you still have to leave tomorrow." Jake said.

Quoting Jake, Twilight said, "But that doesn't mean we can't make the most out of tonight." They kissed again. Until about three in the morning. "I have to go." Twilight said. "Will you come to see me off?"

Jake grabbed her hoof in his. "Of course I will."

"Ooh!" Twilight said. "I almost forgot. She picked up the bag she'd brought. She pulled out the box of chocolates and handed them to Jake. "Here." She said. "It's a bit cliché, but I bought you this."

Jake kissed her. "It's not cliché." He said. "I love it. Now head back to the hotel. I'll see you before you leave."

Twilight walked back to the hotel and fell asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow.