• Published 6th Mar 2012
  • 1,003 Views, 5 Comments

The Wind In Your Mane, The Sand In Your Hooves - RainbowDashian



My February Write-Off entry. The mane six go to the beach.

  • ...
11
 5
 1,003

The Second Day

The second day, all of them slept in. Except Pinkie Pie. When the other five ponies awoke, they were greeted by multiple cakes, cupcakes, and some apple fritters. (Which, much to the orange pony's annoyance, were made of Applejack's emergency snack apples) After eating their breakfast of junk food, they all headed to the beach.

Rainbow Dash managed to get all of them to play a volleyball match. Applejack, Fluttershy, and Rarity were on one team, with Rainbow Dash, Twilight, and Pinkie Pie on the other. The match was, after twenty straight minutes of play (With most of the possession occurring between Rainbow Dash and Applejack), Twilight scored the winning point.

After she won the game, Twilight heard a familiar voice cheering for her. She turned to see the colt from the surf shop standing a few yards away. She walked over to him. He said, "Wow, you're pretty good at volleyball."

"Oh, not really," She replied bashfully. "It was just a lucky shot."

"No," He said. "You were amazing. It wasn't a lucky shot, you were awesome!"

"Thanks." Said Twilight, her face turning red.

"I suppose I should keep teaching you how to surf?" He asked.

"Yes." Twilight answered. "That would be nice."

Over on the volleyball court, Rainbow Dash was busy gloating. "Oh, can it." Applejack said. "It's not our fault we lost. You have wings. You cheated!"

"Oh, not that excuse again." She said. "I didn't even use my wings! I can just jump higher than you!"

"No," Applejack retorted. "I saw you use them. You flew!" They then ended up rolling around on the ground, pulling at each other's manes and yelling.

"Girls, girls." Rarity said, pulling them apart with magic. "There's no need to fight, even if Rainbow Dash did cheat."

"Oh, I cheated?" Rainbow Dash asked, furious. "At least I didn't score using magic! At least Twilight used her hooves and not her horn!"

"I didn't mean to score." Rarity replied. "I was simply trying to knock it away so it didn't mess up my makeup."

"You're wearing makeup at the beach?"

"Well, there are always cute colts at the beach."

"Yeah." Said Applejack. "Like that colt Twilight's with. Right, Rainbow Dash?"

"That's it!" The rainbow-maned pony yelled, diving at Applejack. Rarity joined in on the fight.

Pinkie Pie walked over and said "Ooh, I love this sort of thing!" Then jumped in with them. Suddenly, a shout came from the water.

The colt Twilight was with was dragging her out of the water, yelling for someone to go get help. Rainbow Dash flew to the hotel, while the colt began CPR. After thirty compressions, he used mouth to mouth. during the third repetition of this, Twilight's eyes opened during the mouth to mouth to mouth section of CPR. Her eyes grew as big as plates, and, once he'd finished mouth to mouth, saw she was awake.

"Wow," He said. "I thought you were a goner. Good thing I learned CPR a month or two ago."

"Yeah." Twilight said, her face bright red. "That's a good thing."

"Hey," He said. "you're face is really red." He pressed his hoof against her forehead. "Yeah, you have a fever. Here, I'll take you to the surf shop, it's got some first aid equipment."

As soon as the pair had walked out of sight, Rainbow Dash flew in with some doctor ponies. "Here, they're right -" She said, looking at the spot that Twilight was laying moments ago. "I swear, they were right here."

"Oh, don't worry, Sugarcube." Applejack said. "That colt used CPR and woke her back up, but she had a fever. So, he took her down to the surf shop for some medicine."

"What?" She asked, shocked. "He took an egghead like Twilight to his house?"

"It's not exactly his house, per se." Rarity answered. "It's his workplace."

"It doesn't matter!" Rainbow Dash said, sitting down and crossing her arms.

"Um," One of the doctors asked. "Can we leave now?"

"Yes, you can." Applejack said. "Now, Rainbow Dash, just because you like that colt doesn't mean he likes you. He likes Twilight, even if she can't see it."

"You guys don't understand." Rainbow Dash said. "You don't think he's cute. You don't understand how it feels."

"Now, darling." Rarity said. "I think all of us here find him cute."

"Really?" Rainbow Dash asked. She looked at each one of the other ponies in turn, and they all nodded. "Well, that still doesn't change the fact that it's unfair." She continued.

"Now Rainbow Dash," Fluttershy said. "It's not unfair, he just doesn't like you back, that's all."

"That's the unfair part!" Rainbow Dash exclaimed. He like Twilight. Which means he doesn't like me."

"Dashie," Pinkie Pie giggled. "That's not unfair, it's just unfortunate, that's all!"

"Regardless," Applejack butted in. "We should get back to the hotel. It looks like it's going to rain." Sure enough, there were multiple clouds darkening the horizon.

"But what about Twilight?" Fluttershy asked.

"Oh, don't worry, she'll be fine." Applejack answered.

After a half hour, the hurricane had let loose. The colt was just starting to escort Twilight back to the hotel when the rain started. After they'd ran back to the surf shop in the rain, The colt had to nail some surfboards against the windows because rocks had shattered some of them.

"Well," He said once he'd finished. "That should do it. I'm sorry you had to stay here. I should have waited for that one pegasus to get back with doctors, not taken you here."

Wringing out her wet mane with magic, Twilight replied, "No, it's fine. I've never really liked doctors, anyway. They want to stick me full of needles all the time."

"Wait, didn't I have to give you medicine through a syringe just a few minutes ago?"

"Um, I, uh, I'd, uh, I just, you know, been resuscitated and all, so I was still kinda groggy. Also, I wasn't in a room full of flashy lights and screens."

"Well, yeah, I suppose those are valid reasons."

"So, do you think the storms gonna blow over tonight?"

"No, it looks a lot like a hurricane. This could last a day or two. So, I should probably make a place for us to sleep." He made a little raised section out of surfboards, because, as he put it, it might flood a bit. Then he folded up some towels on the floor next to it, to be used as blankets.

Twilight was exploring the shop, and she came across a room with a window that was wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling, directly on the edge of the ocean, which was, at the moment, surging up onto the glass. "Hey, what about this window?" She asked. "Shouldn't you board this one up, too?"

"Nah," He answered, walking into the room. "That glass is built for this kind of stuff, when there's a storm and the waves are hitting it really hard. It's almost completely shatter-proof."

"Oh, okay." Twilight said, sitting down in a chair. "Why is it even here, though?"

"Well, that's there for ponies who are really nitpicky and can't decide what to buy." He answered. "If they've picked out a few items they can't decide between, we can't exactly let them try it out. So, we tell them to sit here and watch us as we use the items they've picked out."

"That makes sense." Twilight said. The colt sat down next to her. "Um," She said. "This is a bit awkward, but I still don't know your name."

"Yeah." He said. "I was about to say the same thing. My name is Jake," He said, extending a hoof for Twilight to shake. "What's yours?"

"My name is Twilight." She said, shaking his hoof. "Twilight Sparkle." They spent a few hours staring at the sea, and then went to sleep in the makeshift bed that Jake had created. Much to Twilight's liking, Jake suggested that they sleep closer to each other to conserve body heat.

Back at the hotel, Rainbow Dash was flying around the room, saying, "Why isn't she back yet? They should have gotten her hours ago!"

"Now, Sugarcube," Applejack said. "There's a hurricane outside. Nopony can walk around in that wind, much less all the way from the surf shop! That's a fifteen minute walk anyway."

"Well," Rainbow Dash replied. "That doesn't change the fact that Twilight is with him, and they're alone."

"Now, Rainbow Dash," Applejack said. "We've already gone over this. Just because you like him doesn't mean that he -"

"I know, I know!" Rainbow Dash yelled. "I'm going to bed."

"I am kinda tired." Fluttershy said. The other ponies agreed and exchanged good-nights, then went to sleep.