• Published 29th May 2013
  • 6,041 Views, 42 Comments

The Trial of the Cutie Mark Crusaders - Blue Wolf



While Twilight was trapped in her nightmares, the Cutie Mark Crusaders followed the Mane 6 to Canterlot and sneaked into Princess Celestia's chambers. Now they've got some explaining to do...

  • ...
0
 42
 6,041

Accusations

The three Cutie Mark Crusaders stood in a row before Princess Celestia as she sat majestically on her bed in her chambers. Princess Luna was sitting to her immediate right, wearing as an imposing expression as the Ruler of the Night could muster while Twilight reclined on the bed beside Celestia's hooves. Behind the three fillies, Rarity, Applejack and Rainbow Dash stood on one side while on the other sat Princess Cadence and Prince Shining Armour. Towards the back, Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy sat with Zecora on their cushions to form the 'audience'.

Celestia looked round the room and raised her hoof for silence.

“Are we all ready to begin?”

“I'm all set Princess!”

Spike suddenly appeared beside her, quill and parchment poised. Celestia hid a smile behind her hoof as Twilight gave her assistant a puzzled look.

“What's that for Spike?”

Spike looked over at Twilight and rolled his eyes.

“C'mon Twilight, I'm the court scribe of course! They always have somepony to write down everything ponies say in court so nopony can argue about it later!” The little dragon shot a look over towards the Cutie Mark Crusaders “...which knowing those three is probably gonna be a good idea...” he added in an undertone.

Celestia raised a hoof. “No need Spike, I'm certain Luna and I will be able to remember everything on this occasion.”

Spike's enthusiasm suddenly evaporated at Celestia's words, his expression turning to sheer disappointment as he tossed the now surplus quill and scroll away over his shoulder with an annoyed sigh. Celestia couldn't help feeling a little sorry for the dragon as he sulkily turned to retreat back to Rarity's side and pondered for a moment.

“However...perhaps the position of court bailiff would be a suitable compromise?”

“What's one of those?” asked Spike dully, looking back at the princess.

“A Court Bailiff is an officer of the court Spike, who amongst other things helps the Judge maintain order. But I believe on this occasion all you will really need to do is....” Celestia bent her head down to whisper in Spike's ear, his expression brightening.

“Yeah...I can do that...Thanks Princess!” Spike puffed out his chest proudly. Celestia glanced over at Shining Armour and smiled to herself as he shot as slightly envious look at Twilight's diminutive assistant. She had a sneaking suspicion that Shining Armour had secretly wanted the job of bailiff himself.

“What about Twilight though? Can't she do anything?”

Spike looked from Twilight to Celestia anxiously. He wasn't sure what would happen if Twilight began to think Celestia didn't want her involved, but considering what the previous results of Twilight's breakdowns had been Spike was pretty sure that it wouldn't end well for anyone in the immediate vicinity - Princess or not. He'd learnt early on that when it came to the somewhat volatile Element of Magic, prevention was often a much better option than cure.

“Twilight does need rest Spike, but... as she undoubtedly has read many books on law... I could perhaps name her Clerk of the Court and law advisor... does that sound acceptable to you Twilight?”

Twilight smiled up at Celestia and nodded calmly “I would be honoured Celestia.”

Celestia beamed at her student and friend, then flared her wings in a regal pose. “Very well, if all are ready then let us begin. Spike?”

“Ready Princess!” Spike cleared his throat importantly and inflated his lungs.

“Hear ye, hear ye! The court is now in session, her Royal Highnesses Princess Celestia of Equestria and Princess Luna presiding!!”

Luna winced slightly at the volume of the dragon's announcement but nodded her head regally along with her sister as they acknowledged their impromptu 'court'. Celestia stamped a hoof once or twice.

“Let the Court come to order. What are the charges the Prosecution brings forth against the defendants?”

Rainbow Dash, Applejack and Rarity stepped forward.

“Your highness, we the prosecution bring against Applebloom, Scootaloo and Sweetie Bell - otherwise known as the Cutie Mark Crusaders - the following charges.” began Rainbow Dash.

“First, going AWOL from Ponyville, without thinking 'bout the worry and panic their disappearance would cause everypony.”

Scootaloo winced and lowered her head.

“Disobeyin' thar elder sisters an' refusin' to go back ta bed.” put in Applejack. Applebloom shrank under her sister's glare.

“Third, travelling to Canterlot without permission, putting themselves and others in danger.” huffed Rarity. “Not to mention stowing away in Zecora's bags without her knowledge and making her carry them all the way.” she added as an afterthought. Sweetie Bell's ears drooped.

“I believe that we also should not forget about them entering the Royal Chambers without permission...” prompted Celestia, giving the three fillies a pointed look. The three elder mares all nodded as the Crusaders swallowed hard.

“That's right Princess.” replied Rainbow Dash.

“Hmmm...serious charges indeed...very well. Do you three have anything to say for yourselves?” asked Celestia.

There was a brief silence, the Crusaders huddling together under the Solar Diarch's inquiring gaze. Sweetie Bell was the first to crack, running forward and throwing herself down before Celestia's hooves in a fit of dramatics worthy of both her sister and Twilight.

“We're sorry! Please forgive us! We'll confess anything! Please don't buck us to the Moon! Or banish us to a dungeon in the place that you banish us to! Or use Pinkie's secret space cannon to shoot us to the sun! I don't wanna--”

“Ix-nay Sweetie Bell! sshh!”
“Pipe down Sweetie Bell 'darn it!”

Celestia watched, fighting the grin trying to sneak onto her face as the frantic unicorn filly was hastily dragged back by her compatriots. Twilight gave them a puzzled look.

“Errr...I'm confused...was that a confession or not?”

“I'm not certain myself Twilight. Perhaps the Defence would enlighten us?” mused Celestia, looking towards Cadence and Shining Armour.

Cadence gave the three crusaders a reassuring smile and trotted confidently forward to address her aunts.

“The Defence wishes to enter a plea of diminished responsibility due to extenuating circumstances, your highness.”

Celestia arched an eyebrow. “Then the Defendants admit that they committed the acts specified in the charges?”

“Yes your highness, but they contest that their actions were due to the unusual circumstances they found themselves in.” replied Cadence.

“I see. Given that they were found here in Canterlot, I suppose it would have been difficult for them to argue otherwise.”

Celestia made a show of considering the information for a minute or two, resisting the urge to titter at Cadence's use of Celestia's formal address. It was all going exactly the way she'd expected.

“Very well. We shall hear more about the crimes first, and what took place before the Defendants' arrival in my chambers before deciding on their motive. Since the Defence has accepted the Prosecution's case accounting for the Defendants' presence in Canterlot, I will let the Defence lead the questioning, and the Prosecution will cross examine as necessary. I trust that is acceptable to all?” Celestia glanced towards Cadence and the three elder mares.

Cadence nodded her head. “Accepted, your highness.”

“We also accept your highness.” replied Rarity. Applejack and Rainbow Dash nodded their agreement.

“Very well then. You may begin when ready, Princess Cadence.”