• Published 28th May 2013
  • 830 Views, 29 Comments

The Winning pony and the Templar - Ebony Gryphon



Cloud Kicker becomes a patron at a human bar

  • ...
27
 29
 830

Chapter Nine

Alula cocooned herself into her covers during her sobbing. At first, her aunt and uncle had tried to leave her be, and when she had calmed down enough to talk, Swiftblade tried to talk to her. Alula loved her family, especially her godmother, and before she was lied to her sister, but Swiftblade wasn’t exactly the most emotional of mares. In fact, in the few minutes she had been there, she had unintentionally terrified the poor filly. Realizing her mistake, she said she was sorry, then left. Now, all the filly could do was shiver and once in a while offer a small hiccup. Hearing the door open again, she clenched her eyes shut, hoping Aunt Swift wasn’t still angry with her. Feeling the bed shift, she whimpered again, trying to curl further into a ball.

Feeling a hand across her back, she realized it was Eli.

“Hey, hey, come on now. What could be so bad, hmm?”

Alula just gave a choked sob. Smiling, Eli easily picked her up, covers and all, and drew him to his chest in a hug.

“Its ok…. Shh….”

Pressing her face to his chest, the filly sobbed, “Its not though! She lied to me, so did daddy! Aunt Swifty was there, but at least she never hurt anyone!”

Gently rocking her, all the human could do was offer what comfort he could. Both he and his wife weren’t mr. and mrs. Sensitivity, but her stint in the asylum had forced his mare to grow a rather hard shell. Under that shell was a loving heart, but really, he had no idea how she managed to get Alula into this state. Soon, Alula had quieted again, and wiped her nose on the humans shirt. Eye twitching with repressed disgust, Eli asked, “Feel better?”

“No… I just can’t cry anymore.”

Chuckling, Eli lifted her off, and gently set her down in front of him. Still clutching the covers around her, Alula had poked her head out one end, to gaze red eyed up at her uncle.

“Now, whats this then? Hmm?”

Looking down, Alula scowled.

“Mommy did bad things. She hurt people, took little humans mommies and daddies away, for no reason at all!” Rubbing her nose, she whimpered again.

“But… I just can’t hate her. It was wrong, but I still wish she was around. I love her, but I’m just so angry and sad too.”

Alula looked up, eyes tearing up again.

“Does that make me a weirdo?”

Smiling, and feeling as though he might get diabetes from the mere presence of the filly, Eli gently ruffled the top of her head.

“Of course not.”

Smiling back, Alula visibly relaxed.

“Now, how did your sister and dad lie to you.”

“They kept secrets. You shouldn’t do that…”

“Maybe they just wanted to protect you…”

The filly gave a little shrug.

“I guess….”

“You don’t really hate Cloud Kicker, do you?”

Alula ponched out her bottom lip, considering. Eli sighed and nodded.

“Fair enough. Just… Alula, please… I know this better then anyone…”

The stench of Eli’s father filled the small apartment the two shared, permeating the air with the reek of cheap booze, piss, and sweat. Taking a swig from the bottle clenched in his fist, the fat drunk swayed a moment, then lowering the bottle looked around.

“E… Eliiiii… Where are you…” the adult sneered, “You fucking little pig…” suddenly the bottle was flung, smashing against the wall.

“Come out here, you little shit!”

In his state, he didn’t hear the footsteps.

“Where the fuck are you?”

Suddenly, Eli grabbed the back of the mans shirt, and pressed a foot to the back of his fathers knee. With a shout, the man feel down onto the one knee as it was forcefully buckled. As he was brought down, Eli dug his fingers into the mans hair, pulling his head back to look up at the human with now bulging eyes.

“Right behind you.” Eli responded softly, pressing a knife to the drunkards throat.

Eli smiled sadly, and gave his niece another hug.

“Anger… it has its place, and you have every right to feel like you do right now. But that feeling… it will gnaw at you. Do you understand?”

The filly nodded. Looking up, she gave a smile. Smiling back, Eli released her.

“That’s my girl.”

Yawning, Alula laid down as her uncle left the bed. Smile still in place, eyes of cold he fire, Eli asked softly, “Alula, I know your dad, sister, and Swift never told you. How did you find out?”

The filly gave a small shrug.

“Before I left home to live with you guys, Aunt Wind said it was sad that my family was keeping secrets. One day, Cloud came over, and Aunt Swift thought I wasn’t there…”

Eli tsked.

“Bad girl Alula. You shouldn’t eavesdrop.”

“Sorry.”

Still smiling, he patted her head once more.

“Its ok. Just don’t do it again, all right?”

“ ‘kay. Night Eli.”

Walking out the room, he paused, and said, “Night little wind.”

“Aunt Swift?”

Sighing, the mare left her spot at the doorway, and after the human left, walked in. Coming to the bed, she gave the filly a nuzzle.

“Yes?”

Lifting her head, Alula asked, “Can… you stay with for awhile?”

Wordlessly, the mare crawled into the bed. With a contented sigh, Alula cuddled into her side.

“Thank you.”

……………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Cloud Kicker’s sobs had quieted in the last hour to a few sniffs and shivers, her usually properly done mane disheveled, her wings limply laid over her bed. Thumping her head against the wall behind her place of rest, she growled, “Stupid… stupid little cunt…”

“Who’s a stupid little cunt?”

Giving a small scream, the lavender mare jumped slightly, and turning her head, looked blearily at the foot of her bed. Scowling, she looked back to the wall.

“Oh fuck off Garret. I’m not in the mood.”

After a moment, she felt the bed shift, and glared at the human sitting on her bed.

“Want to talk about it love?”

“No.”

Garret gave a shrug. Folding her wings to her sides, Cloud Kicker laid her head back down on her pillow, and scowled.

“You’re not leaving until I talk are you?”

The human gave a slight nod, and lighting a cigarrete, took a small drag before saying“That’s right.”

Sighing, the mare shifted until she was sitting next to the human

“Ok, fine. If you really want to know…”

The whole time, Garret remained silent through the story, and after the lavender pegasi had relayed her tale, he let out a low whistle.

“Geez Cloud. And sounds like your day was going pretty well till then.”

As the mare opened her mouth to respond, a sickening crunch of wood sounded through the house. As Garret jumped up, a pink and yellow bearer of a certain element stormed in, nostrils snorting and wings flared. Eyes locking with Cloud Kicker, they seemed to spark. Smiling nervously, Cloud Kicker stammered, “Uh, hey Eepy…”

Teeth bared, the pegasus stamped her hoof, splintering the floor under it as she screeched, “You… Big… Meanie!”

Cloud Kicker was a powerful mare. Bred and raised in the finest military family and clan, she had achieved superb scores in West Hoof, earning tied first seat in her graduating classes, the other perfect score being Swifty. She had faced mountain rocs, pegasi thugs, and changeling infiltrators. In fact, the only two fights she had come close to losing in her adult life were both draws with Garret and Eli respectively. She was a female without fear… most of the time.

At the moment, she was ready to piss herself.

Sliding back across the bed, she stammered, “No.. Now wait a second Eepy…”

Hooves stamping as she walked in, Fluttershy shrieked, “Don’t you Eepy me, you worthless whorse!”

Cloud Kicker scrambled further, eyes tearing as she cried, “Fluttershy… I didn’t…!” expectedly, her rump came to the end of the bed, and with a shout, Cloud Kicker fell off onto her back. In a flash, Fluttershy was on top of the bed, eyes glaring down at the source of her rage. Whimpering, the lavender mare tucked her legs to her chest. This vulnerable position only seemed to incense the element of kindness.

“You… how dare you! Bad enough you fucked up my foalhood, now your working on your sister?”

In a flash, Garret was on the other side of the bed. Eyes hard, he curled his fingers around Fluttershy’s neck, and easily lifted her into the air. Snarling, he squeezed slightly. Fluttershy just glared down.

“Garret!”

Looking over his shoulder, the human regarded the mare behind him. During the scuffle, she had gotten into a sitting position, and was shaking her head.

“Its ok… put her down…”

Releasing his grip, he turned as Fluttershy flopped to the the bed. Kneeling down, he gently stroked Cloud Kickers mane. On the bed, Fluttershy gasped, rubbing the sore spot on her neck, the Stare still threatening to burn the lavender mare on the spot. Wincing, Fluttershy wheezed, “She… you…”

“Eepy…”

Fluttershy scowled.

“What?”

“I… I know I fucked up… I’ll try to make up for it…”

Features somewhat softening, though still clearly pissed, the element gave a curt nod.

“Good…. Good.”

Without another word, she walked to the bedroom door, then paused.

“I’m sorry too.”

“It’s ok Eepy…” the mare gave a smile, “I know you didn’t mean it.”

Nodding again, the pegasus left. Sighing, Cloud Kicker leaned against the human. Still drawing his fingers down the blonde mane running down her neck, he said, “Cloud… It’s okay.”

“I know… I know.” Pressing her head under the humans chin, Cloud Kicker nuzzled his neck, then gave a soft sigh.

“I’ve got to make it right Garret.”

“Yeah… Better wait till morning though. She’s probably asleep now.”

Suddenly, Cloud Kicker snickered.

“Impressive. A full on Stare, and you didn’t even flinch.”

Smirking, Garret growled playfully.

“Hah! Some female giving me the stink eye? Bah! Learn your lesson kicker! Messin’ with me is like wearing a meat suit down wolf alley.”

Grinning now, Cloud Kicker asked, “Is that right?”

Pulling away a bit, he gave her a kiss on the cheek.

“You can take it to the bank.”

Wrapping her hooves around his neck, Cloud Kicker gave her most sultry smile.

“Well, maybe a strapping stud like yourself would stick around and…” she leaned up, giving him a swift kiss, then pulling away, waggled her eyebrows, “… Comfort a vulnerable mare? (1)”

Arching a brow in response, Garret quipped, “Is that what we’re calling it now?”

Cloud Kicker gave a curt nod. Chuckling, the human leaned in, pressing his lips to hers in another kiss. Murring softly, her eyes closing slowly as Garret placed a hand on the back of her neck, holding her in place, she felt herself being placed onto her back again. Pulling away, Garret straddled over her, and winking, Cloud Kicker growled, “And who said you could be on top…?”

Leaning down again, Garret gently licked and nipped at her neck, making the mare squirm and giggle.

“Think you could stop me…?”

Shivering, Cloud Kicker stammered, “I totally could… If I wanted…”

She didn’t.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Sighing, Cloud Kicker stopped outside Swifts house. Raising a hoof, determination in her eyes, she gulped, then lowered it. Smiling, Garret put a comforting hand on her neck.

“It’s okay. Just say you’re sorry.”

Giving a nod, Cloud Kicker looked up, and smiled gratefully.

“Thanks… for coming with me.” Looking back at the door, she knocked firmly.

“Come in.”

Pulling down the door handle, Cloud Kicker walked into the coolness of the house, Garret in tow. Giving a nod to Swiftblade, she smiled uncertainly at the filly next to her.

“Hey Lu…”

Alula sniffed, and glared at the mare.

“Hello…”

Wincing at the coldness in her voice, Cloud Kicker sighed. Stepping forward, she said, “Alula, I’m… I’m so sorry.”

The filly snorted and eye rolled. Flattening her eyes to her skull fully, Cloud Kicker pointed her wings downward slightly. At this Alula paused.

“Alula-kai (2)…” both pegasi stared at the mare, stunned. Shaking her head, Cloud Kicker walked before her sister, and hung her head.

“Oh little wind. I’ve wronged you, I know. A lie of omission is still a lie. And when you needed me most, I struck you, my own. Please… forgive me.”

Alula shook her head.

“Cloud… Listen to me. I forgive you… but…”

Cloud Kicker looked up, eyes wide.

“When I was really little, I took some bits from dad, and he found out.”

Tilting her head, the lavender mare said, “Okay…”

“So, I’ll tell you what he told me. Cloud Kicker, I love you, and I always will. But… my trust… that’s something you’ll have to earn back.”

Slumping slightly, she gave a nod.

“Ok…”

Alula nodded. Giving an uncertain smile, Cloud Kicker said, “Is it too soon for a hug?”

Rolling her eyes, Alula jumped off the couch, and wrapped her forelegs around her sisters neck. As she was embraced, Cloud Kicker looked around.

“Hey, wheres Eli?”

Swiftblade smiled.

“Oh, just away on business.”

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Captain Wind, or Aunt Wind to a certain pair of sisters, backed slowly into her office, eyes locked on the human in front of her. Knocking a cabinet down to block the door into the office, Eli said, “You know… you’ve made three mistakes…”

Wind bolted to the right, then stopped. The double door of her veranda was blocked by a bookcase.

“The first one. Taking a ground office with only two exits.”

Whirling back, the mare bared her teeth.

“Your second… soundproofing your office…”

Leaping to the air, Wind charged. In a flash, she found herself tossed aside like a rag doll, and stars flashed in her eyes as she was slammed into the wall. Shaking her head, she winced, then felt herself pinned underfoot. Leaning down, Eli pressed her head against the wall with one hand, and wrapped the other around the wing joint. Eyes widening, Wind screamed, “Wait! No please…!”

Tilting his head, Eli regarded his clenched hand, and slowly began turning it. Thrashing uselessly under him, Wind screamed louder as the muscles began to ache as the bones grinded together. The human continued in the same pleasant, “Your last mistake was fucking with Alula’s head. Now…” he stopped. Wind wasn’t struggling anymore.

Looking at the mare, he grimaced. Eyes wide, the mare slumped under him, whimpering, “Please… don’t take them…” Feeling the grip loosen, Wind looked back, eyes unbelieving. Slowly, Eli pulled back. Reaching back to rub the sore joint gently, Wind looked at the human in shock.

"What.. what are you doing? Finish it... come on you fucking savage..." shakily, the blue coated mare stood.

"Savage huh? Am I the one who fucked with some kids head?"

Wind coughed, and shook her head.

"I... I didn't have a choice."

Slowly, Eli turned and looked at her.

"There is always a choice."

“I… I… I’m sorry… I didn't mean to...”

Snorting, Eli walked to the office door, and flung the cabinet aside.

“Save it.”

And with that, he left the pony.


…………………………………………………………………………………………….
Later that night

Wind flinched outside of The Diarchs Gate bar, and turning, regarded the alleyway behind her. From it, a light brown unicorn walked forward, a small smile across his face. Scowling, the mare looked down again.

“Keeping tabs on me?”

Shrugging, the stallion walked over.

“Yep, nothing else to do.” Nudging the mares neck, he said “Come on. Let’s go to a meeting.”

Sighing, Wind turned, and began following, “I’m… I’m sorry…”

Shaking his head, the unicorn said sternly, “Hey, it was one slip. The groups not going to get rid of you because of

that.”

Smiling, Wind nuzzled the stallion.

“Thanks Joe…”

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Prostitution, brothels, selling of the flesh and soul for a bag of bits. Equestria and the Territories both had these places where the lost gathered, some mere lantern lighted hovels, the peddlers pale under their fur, covered in sores, and reeked of their despair and disease. The Jade Tail was no such place. Behind its redwood and gold gilded doors, soldiers came and went, enjoying the company of the finest flesh that the madam could provide. In its halls and from behind closed door, the grunts and cries of patron and worker were heard. Meanwhile, if ones comrades could not find proper company, or no desire to do so, one could merely sit and drink, occasionally enjoying the presence of a soft spoken mare or stallion. Odd though. Under the soft music and voices, below the cries and occasional screams, the smell of despair mixed with perfume still lingered. For humans, such places were repugnant.

Even for one of its workers.

A green mane’d white coated mare screamed as she was dragged down the halls to the entrance. Beating her hooves uselessly against her captors wrist, she cried, “No! Please Ordega!”

The humans bald head shook, and looking down at her, he scowled. Across his arm, and skull could be seen etched, and the ink and flesh flexed, digging the fingers deeper into the mare’s mane. Kicking her rear hooves against the carpet, the mare screeched louder as her captor bellowed, “We told you three times already you worthless cunt! You take that shit, your out!”

Opening the door, Ordeja chucked the mare out, and stumbling down the steps, she curled into a ball, and began to weep. Closing the door, Ordeja walked down the steps, and kneeling stroked her mane. After she looked up slightly, and seeing the look on his face, she cowered again.

“Look at me.” The human snarled. The mares head jumped up, and eyes wide, she whimpered. Smiling, Ordeja leaned forward, and kissed her forehead gently. Leaning back, he said “Mother is the name for God on the lips and hearts of children. Your little one walks these dark places.”

Standing, he took out a pouch, and laid it next to the mare.

“Here. Go, with my blessing.”

Looking at the pouch, then at the human, the mares eyes began to tear up again. Wrapping her hooves around his neck, she whispered, “Thank you.”

Patting her back, the human smiled.

“Go. Find honest work. Teach your son to be a good man.”

Nodding, she let Ordeja go, and taking the bit bag in mouth, cantered away. Ordeja smiled faded as she walked, and was gone as she disappeared into the gloom of the street lamps. Hearing someone behind him, he turned, hand traveling to the knife strapped to his side.

“That any way…” Ordeja head tilted, and his eyebrows furrowed at the voice, “…To treat an old friend?” Smirking, Eli stepped out into the light. Dropping his hand, Ordeja gaped, and then grinning, ran to Eli, and threw his arms around him.

“Eli! What’s going on brother?”

Laughing, Eli hugged his comrade back.

“Pretty good Ordeja.”

Taking his arm, Ordeja led him to the double doors.

“Come, come brother! Inside, out of the chill.” Once in, and number of mares and stallions gathered, smiling demurely or fluttering their eyelashes. Shrugging, Ordeja said “Sorry ladies, this one’s living the clean life.”

All giving a pout, the throng dispelled. Grabbing a bottle from a nearby cart, Ordeja nodded towards an open door.

…………………………………………………………………………………

Putting a couple of ice cubes into a glass, Ordeja took a pull, and then poured another shot. Chuckling, Eli leaned intothe red velvet cushions.

“Isn’t it bad for your health to gulp it like that?”

Snorting, Ordeja sipped, then sat down

“Seeing you pop up is bad for my health, gringo. It’s a fucking shock to the system.”

For a moment, the two old mercs sat in silence, then smile fading, Eli leaned forward, and steepled his fingers. Rolling his eyes, Ordeja whistled.

“Oh boy. Calling in a favor huh?”

Not looking at his friend, Eli replied, “No. I’m asking you to do something for your niece.”

Ordeja’s brows furrowed as he regarded a photo brought out. A little filly sat between Eli and Swiftblade, standing in front of what he assumed was their house. Taking the photo, Ordeja’s gaze softened, and he said, “Eli, I call you my brother. You and I went through Westmarch, and me, you, and though she doesn’t like it, Swift… we’re family.”

Putting the photo into his shirt pocket, Ordeja continued, “And I’ll do anything for family. What do you need?”

Steepling his fingers again, Eli said “Whats going on with the clans?”

Scowling, Ordeja took a pull, and said, “Damn brother… I… I can’t help you…” seeing the look on his comrades face, he shrugged.

“Sorry. Wells dry on that one. All I know for sure is… somethings got ‘em spooked pretty bad. And not internal investigation spooked either. Someones playing them, and they can’t do anything about it. That’s all I got.”

Sighing, Eli stood, and walked from the booth

Author's Note:

Thanks as always to Chengar-sama, and thanks to my idea wall Bronyassasin^^

1) Yeah... I think it would be safe to say that Cloud has a one track mind.

2) Ancient pegasi were a highly stratified society, and as such, had honorifics that delved deeper then mere sir or madam. Tyr was a all purpose honorific, amyn was given to masters of a craft or teacher. Ren was given to express a term of affection or endearment. Kai, the one Cloud Kicker used, was highest in the tier, meant only for close friends or family.

3) Though Cloud Kicker, or many clan members for that matter, are not aware of it, there are almost no voluntary brothel workers. Most came to Canterlot seeking work or had to pay off debts, some nurse various addictions. That is not say there aren't a few content with their life.