• Published 28th May 2013
  • 830 Views, 29 Comments

The Winning pony and the Templar - Ebony Gryphon



Cloud Kicker becomes a patron at a human bar

  • ...
27
 29
 830

Chapter Two

Chapter 2

Cloud Kicker snarked as she landed in front of the human’s bar.The mare couldn’t believe it, some little sprig of a monkey had leaped to the defense of her lover's foal, and probably would have taken a beating if the pegasus had the mind too. Rolling her eyes, she walked in. The place was empty. The last few nights the place was packed, but tonight only Garret was there, the top of his head covered with an odd blue hat that only seemed to cover the back top of his head . On one corner of the bar, two candles burned, a piece of paper between them, and photo behind it. The human sat at a table, a book open. Walking up, she chuckled.

“Nice beany.”

Looking up from his book, he said, in a trifle cold tone, “It’s a yarmulke, thank you very much. And I’d also thank you, Miss Kicker, to keep your usual peanut gallery to yourself.”

“Ok, ok. Sorry…” Cloud Kicker scuffed her hoof to the ground, head ducking somewhat.

“No. I’m sorry, just a little... tired today” with a sigh, he went back to reading.

“So, where is everyone?”

“Dies e quies. Day of rest.” Nodding over to the candles, he said “It is also fade day.”

As he spoke, the sun began to set. At the words fade day, it finished its task. Cloudkicker opened her mouth, but a cold wind seemed to blow through the room. Somewhere behind her, a voice whispered. She whirled around, and outside, could see three silhouettes at the double doors. And she could also sort of see right through them. Whimpering she skidded back.

“What… who are they?”

Garret smiled, and sat cross legged on the floor.

“Come, sit next to me.”

Trying to retain whatever dignity she had, Cloud Kicker all but bolted to the humans side. Leaning against him, she gazed wide eyed as the silhouettes walked in. Smiling, Garret, ran his fingers through her mane.

“So, you can see them, huh? Most of your people refuse their mere existence.”

Though somewhat comforted by the gesture, she still shivered as the figures walked towards the candle. As her head turned, she saw five more walking from the back way, and more walking down the stairs leading up too the apartments to congregate on the bar floor. Scratching the mare with one hand, he went back to his book with the other.

“What are they? Ghosts?”

“I suppose that’s one term for them. Souls of my people and others, some lost, others visiting. So long as we don’t disturb them or try to leave, they should leave us alone. Shall we talk of other things?”

Cloudkicker nodded. Looking at the book, her eyes widened. In it, she saw a sketch of one of Equestria’s enemies.

“Why are you reading about Changelings?”

Garret looked up.

“Ah, you mean the skinwalkers? Such a pity so many have fallen in thrall with Chrysalis.”

The pegasus frowned.

“Thrall?”

The human nodded.

“Despite their appearance, and the rather interesting rumors of your people, the skinwalkers aren’t insects, and most certainly aren’t monsters.”

Seeing the furious look on the equines face, he said, “Tell me, why do you hate them so?”

Cloud Kicker looked down.

“I’d rather not talk about it.”

Garret shrugged, and continued, “Rumors aside, and whatever one of them did, can you really hate them for needing love to survive? Are they so wicked for just wanting to live?”

Cloud Kicker scowl deepened, a snort of anger giving voice to her inner turmoil..

“They steal love damn it! They suck it out of pony’s with those damn fangs of theres when they can’t get it through deception.”

Garret shook his head.

“Another rumor. It is true though they use the forms of others to elicit feelings of fondness towards others. But they only reason they do so is because they believe they cannot find it willingly.”

Garret looked down at his book.

“Our poor brothers and sisters. How we failed you…”

“What? What are you talking about?”

Garret looked up again, and shook his head sadly.

“Before your people, mine lived in peace with the skinwalkers. We loved and cherished them as children of Elohie, as we did our brothers and sisters the stygians. How my people failed them both. How they suffered for our cowardice.”

Cloudkicker snorted.

“Not enough, if you ask me.”

“Cloud…. They are who they are. Do you hate fire for burning? Should my people hate yours for what your ancestors did?”

The pegasus snarled, “Did you see what they did to Canterlot?”

“I saw what some skinwalkers did. Under the orders and false promises of a worthless upstart.”

Cloud Kicker shook her head. “Your impossible.”

Garret shrugged, and looked at the door.

“Welcome brothers and sisters. Please, enjoy your stay.”

Cloud Kickers barrage of emotions was stilled as the humans fingers went through her mane, and she watched as more shadows walked towards the candles. As they gathered, they whispered, and soon, other shadows came in from the night. Pony’s, a couple of gryphons. The human forms made room. The pegasus suddenly gasped as the next shadow came through the door.

“Mommy….” She jumped up, and walked towards the shadow pony. The other shadows stood aside as she walked, and tears began to streak down her cheeks.

“It can’t be…. Mom, is that you?” she stopped short as she felt a hand on her shoulder. Looking up, she whimpered at the human.

“Garret, its her. Its my mother….” The human shook his head sadly.

“I… I know Cloud. But you can’t touch her yet. The spirits wanted to give you one last meeting before the Long Tomorrow, but please, stay behind me.”

Walking in front of Cloudkicker, the human folded his hands. Looking downwards, he closed his eyes, and began to pray.

Slowly, the other shadows began to walk to the corners of the bar, giving them space. The pony shadow began to solidify, and Cloud began to see her mothers features, stunning the mare into silence. Slowly though, the features faded again, and the pony turned and walked back into the nights gloom.

As the rest of the shadows left, Garret knelt down, and drew the mare to him. Clenching her eyes, she sobbed, “Thank you…. Thank you so much…”

………………………………………………

A few minutes later, and a somewhat happy pegasus left his place of work, Garret sat down in front of his bedroom desk mirror. His eyes narrowed as he looked at his reflection. Suddenly, his fist lashed out, smashing the reflective surface. He didn’t even feel the shards sinking into his knuckles, the years of body honing in the Templar working its magic of discipline.

His eyes glared tearily back at him as he looked down at the desk, an in the shards, he could still see the damning evidence of what he’d done looking back at him.



“Why? Why here, why now? Why that cold bitch? Why test me now, why?”

Tears streaked down his face as his shoulders shook, and he slammed his fist against the desk.

“Why? You have her mother, you took Kala. Why do you test me so?”

He took his head in his hands, and wept.

…......................................................................................................................

Two weeks later

Tornado stretched out his left wing, his body swaying slightly as the train he was on barreled towards Ponyville. Leaning in, he began to gently straighten and realign the tufts and secondary feathers. Making a grunt of approval, he slid his muzzle lower, and began to work over the primaries. Finding the culprit causing the irritating itch for the last couple of hours, he took it gently between his teeth. Hissing softly as it was pulled, his grumbles rolled into a soft murr at the now itch free warmth in the appendage. Giving a nod, he folded his wing, and glared at the other one pinned under gauze on his other side.

“Having fun sir?”

Jumping slightly, the Pegasus blushed under his fur, and spat out the feather still in his mouth. Turning his gaze towards Atticus, he cleared his throat.

“Don’t you ever knock soldier?”

Giving a salute, the human said, “Sorry sir.”

Rolling his eyes, Tornado gave an at ease, and glared again at his traitorous wing. A couple of days before he and an old barracks pal of his went on a flight. According to the medics, his various other bruises and bumps paled compared to what he’d done. Who the fuck ever got a second degree strain there wing muscle length wise during a simple race? Now grounded, the officer had never felt more helpless. Luckily, he had some r and r logged away to heal and not have to be humiliated by being shunted behind some desk, but still…

Looking back at Atticus, his eyes followed him as the human walked back into the cabin.

“I don’t know how you stand living without wings.”

Grinning, the guard sat, and folded his arms as he leaned back against the seat.

“I don’t know how you equines live without fingers.”

Nodding, the commander looked back at his wing with a scowl. “Certainly make preening easier.”

Chuckling, Atticus stood, and sat next to Tornado. Brow furrowing, the pegasi said, “What are you…” then yelped slightly as the human began to gently remove the bandage.

“Relax sir. The doctor said a good rub would ease your pains and help your healing, and I know how to work with feathers.”

“But I…” he jumped slightly again, blush now threatening to burn into his cheeks as the wing was gently stretched out, and worked over. Wincing slightly at the rubs moved over a still healing muscle, his murr deepened as the fingers began to work over the feathers. Thanking years of discipline for giving him some control over his wings, and other parts of his anatomy that were known to go into similar states, he looked out the window.

Holding a coagulant sponge to a newly made hole in the equines wing, Atticus asked, “So, hows your vacation so far sir?”

Eyes half lidded in pleasure, the equine snapped his head, drawn somewhat from his musings.“Hmm? Oh, my…. Ouch… r and r. I…. Ahhgggg” his eyelids fluttered slightly as the fingers slid over the primaries, exploring the plumage.

“It’s been….. unnggghhh… pretty good so far…” he jumped again slightly as another feather was pulled, and as the slight coolness of the coagulant stung, he cast a gaze at the human.

“You do know… preening’s kind of a private thing…”

The human frowned, giving a only slightly disparaging look at the stallion.

“I also know, sir, that its something your supposed to have another person do.”

Sighing, the equine looked down.

“I know. Celestia knows how many cramps I’ve gotten trying to do it on my own.”

The human looked over the wing, frown deepening.

“Probably why you strained your wing…” he said as he pulled another feather. But this time Tornado Kicker actually clenched his eyes and gritted his teeth, giving a grunt of pain. Seeing pus mixed in the blood as it leaked from the wound, Atticus gasped.

“Sir! You’ve… “ reaching into the medical pouch, the human pulled out a pair of tweezers, some iodine, and a pair of rubber gloves. Atticus pulled the gloves on over his hands, and gently held his superior.

“This is gonna hurt…” Getting a nod, the human poured iodine over the instrument, and holding the pony still, gently edged the tweezers into the wound. Ignoring the gasps of pain, he slowly pulled out the ingrown feather under the recently pulled one. Holding the blood covered growth in his gaze a moment, he put it down onto the chair. Squeezing the slightly inflamed are, he began to drain the wound of its infection.

“Tornado…” The equine looked up, then down again.

“Sir, how long has it been since you’ve been properly looked at?” somewhat satisfied with the field medicine, he began to dab iodine over the area, then pressed another coagulant sponge over it. Pressing a bandage over, Atticus scowled as he went over the rest of the wing. The commander was a mess. From what he could see, near the shoulder and lower down where his teeth couldn’t reach where several misaligned pinions, and another four ingrown ones, two of which were also infected. Disgusted at the half assed work of the doctor, he began to work on the equine further.

“Sir…” he pulled out a feather, and began to dig out the broken one under it. “How long?”

The equine whimpered, tears running down his muzzle.

“I… awhile…”

Shaking his head, Atticus lay the bloody pinion next to its brother, and squeezes the green white ooze out from the area.

Rubbing the wound with iodine again, he put another coagulant bandage over the wound.

“Don’t… tell Cloud…”

Rolling his eyes, the human began working on the last infected area.

“Sir…”

“Please…”

Sighing, the human nodded, and continued his field care. After draining the wound, pulling out the other two ingrown one, he straightened the rest of the feather.

“Thankfully, those ones don’t need pulling yet.”

Wrapping the wing back under a fresh bandage and immobilizing it so it wouldn’t damage further, Atticus stood, and walked to the other side.

“Lift…” wordless, Tornador extended the wing.

“Sir, I won’t tell your daughter, but only if you get checked out while we’re in town. Ok?”

The Pegasus gave a nod, feeling somewhat light headed from the flush in his cheeks and the work on his wings.

……………………………..

Cloudkicker hummed softly as she meandered through the stalls. Since seeing her mother again, mixed with her usual mix of banging whoever would warm her bed, the mare had been feeling lighter then air. The day seemed brighter, the birds chirped more beautifully, and the rush of flying and fucking better then ever. Still hadn’t done anything with the architect of her happiness. In fact, since that night, Garret seemed oddly distant. The first couple of nights she went back, the bar was being looked over by a friend of his, who told her simply that Garret was indisposed.

Shrugging, Cloudkicker walked to the flower stall, giving a wink to the shops attendant.

“Hey there Rose. Sorta surprised to see you standing.”

Giving the pegasus a somewhat weary smile, the equine yawned.

“Haha… I think you mighta left bite marks honey…”

Giggling, Cloudkicker perused her selection. Picking out a few roses and a set of daffodils, she turned back to Rose, and waggled her eyebrows.

“I didn’t hear any complaints last night sugar cube.”

Giving a derisive snort, Rose wrapped up the purchase, and gave a haughty look at the pegasus.

“Kinda hard to complain when one has a ball gag stuffed in their muzzle…”

Passing a few bits to Rose with her wing, Cloudkicker rolled her eyes.

“Your idea, not mine. Im still surprised bit the damn thing in half…”

Scowling, the mare turned back to her work, giving Cloudkicker a good flick in the snout with her tail.

“Oh don’t be like that! Come on…. Acchhhhh!” Cloud Kicker suddenly buckled under the weight of her father on top of her, her wings flared out in shock. Grinning, Tornador shouted, “There she is!”

Looking over her shoulder, and flushing furiously at the impromptu giggling around her, mare bucked her father off her, and whirled around to glare at her attacker. Snickering like a mad man, Tornado nuzzled the top of her head.

“Hey kiddo.”

Ducking under the muzzle, Cloudkicker stammered, “Wha… dad, is that… you?”

Chuckling, the stallion took a couple steps back.

“That’s what your mother told me.”

Cloud Kicker gaped slightly. One wing was wrapped up and pinned to his side, the other was covered in tan bandages. And though the dark skin under his eyes indicated lack of sleep, his eyes were the same paternal pools she’d known as a foal. But what really got her attention was his mane. Unlike the usual cropped style she’d seen for all her life, it was actual long. Like a civilians.

“Dad… you look… What happened?”

Seeing her gaze at his mane, Tornado chuckled, rubbing the back of his neck.

“Yeah, been away for a bit, and didn’t get the chance to get it into regulation.”

Cloud Kicker nodded, then looked at the human behind her father.

Seeing her gaze, he waved his hoof in a gesture.

“Cloud, this is Atticus, Atticus, Cloudkicker.”

Grinning, the mare asked, “Wanna bang?”

Tornado face hoofed, a small grin still in place.

“Really kiddo, right in front of your dad….?”

Ignoring his c.o’s obvious discomfort, Atticus replied smoothly, “I refuse to answer the question on the grounds my testimony would tend to incriminate me.”

Earning a pair of chuckles, the human followed silently behind as the walked, and caught up.Coming to the center of town, Cloud Kicker waved to Garret as he walked back to his place of work.

“Hey! Over here, I want you too meet someone.”

The human smiled and walked over. Though she didn’t notice, both human and equine eyes flashed in recognition.

“Garret, this is my father, Tornadokicker. Dad, This is Garret.”

Smiling, the equine said warmly as he lifted a hoof, “A pleasure to meet you son.”

“Likewise sir.”

………………………………………………………………………………………………

Later that evening…..

Tornado walked into the now empty bar, and looked around, lips somewhat pursed.

“So…” the pony’s ears flicked towards the sound of the voice, and he watched as Garret walked down the stairs.

“Kicker…. Have you come to kill me then? To take your payment in blood?”

Sighing, Tornado shook his head.

“Garret…. Look, I just wanted to say…. I’m sorry, for what Nimbus did. We never talked about it, but she always regretted what happened.”

Snorting, the human crossed his arms.

“If she felt any remorse, she would have gone like Swiftblade. Left the Guard and found some sort of repentance.”

Frowning, the equine raised his right eyebrow.

“Or she could have run and hid.”

“Do you want something, or are you just here to piss me off?”

The pegasus gave a nod

“There are two things actually. My daughters… don’t know about what happened. Aside from me and Swift, no one does. Please, I beg you, don’t break my little foals heart.”

“Fine… anything else?”

The stallion walked forward, and tilted his head.

“Why? Seventeen of my clan are dead… the last ones were my wife and Swifty. Swiftblade left to study the humans, hay, even married one. Why spare Nimbus?”

The human smiled.

“You can thank little Alula for that, Kicker. I came upon your wife, and was about the finish off another one the ones who killed my family, when this little things came barreling out. Its… hard… to kill another when you start seeing them as a person.”

“Those others you killed had families too.”

The human shook his head.

“I only killed five. The other ten decided to come after me.”

Tornado frowned, and cocked his head.



“The difference being...?”



“The difference is that I decided that I wasn’t going to take revenge. That does not mean however I would not defend myself if attacked.”

Seeing the stallion give a slight nod, Garret smirked.



“It’s rare to see a old army mule like yourself be so open to my people’s philosophy, especially since I would have killed your wife.”

Tornado chuckled.



“Son, I can honestly say, in your place, I would have done the same damn thing... Only I wouldn’t have stopped.”

A few hours later

Cloud flew upside down through the air, her back to the ground, her gaze blearily looking up into the nights sky. This was it, she was going to die. She lived a good life, banged herself silly. She would walk into the embrace of mom, her grandparents, and all her elders in the well of souls. She lived a life of drink and good times, No regrets. Feeling herself beginning to descend, she knew it was going to hurt, and before the hit, she only had one thing to say.

“Oh, buck me up the….”

With a thud, she hit the ground, skidding for a moment in the dirt, stars flashing in her eyes at the feeling of her wings slapping the earth. Hissing in pain as her feathers dragged, and from what she could feel, a couple pulling, as she slipped, she tilted to the left. Corkscrewing in place a moment, she pushed hard on the ground with a wing, launching into the air. Turning onto her hooves, she planted them firmly down, halting her movement. Turning around, wings flared in aggression, she turned to face her attacker.

Wiping a hoof across her bottom lip, she spat. Twirling her tongue in her cheek a moment, her eyes widened. Holding up a hoof, she spat again, and glared at the molar in the center of said hoof. After tucking the dislodged tooth into a side pouch, she turned back to glare at Garret.

“You happy, you limp dicked fucker? You knocked my fucking tooth out!”

Rubbing his shoulder as he walked forward, the human turned his head left, then right. Satisfied with popping noises issued, he glared back at the equine.

“Hey, you started this! Attacking me in my room, knocking me down the stairs? Whats your problem?”

Slowly, they walked to the cleared area behind the bar, and began to circle. Wings tensing, Cloud Kiicker snarled, “You’ve been avoiding me for the past two weeks, and been acting like your best friend died.”

Cracking his knuckles, and glaring daggers back at the pony, he sneered. “Yeah? So what? What do you care how I act anyway?”

Eyes flashing, she stamped her hoof into the ground.

“Because I’m your friend!”

Whinnying in fury, she charged. Yelling back, he charged. Sweeping her wing in a glancing blow, she smirked. The smirk faded into horror as he blocked the blow with a his lower arm, then a twirl of his wrist, pinned it between his upper arm and side of his chest. Raising his fist, he brought one blow, then another against the Pegasus. Ignoring the throbbing in her head, Cloud dodged the third blow, then rearing her head back, her mane sweeping in the motion, she brought it back hard into the human’s stomach. Grunting in pain from the hit to his solar plexus, Garret managed to dig his fingers into her mane, and dragged her down with him.

Yanking her fur loose, and leaving a fair bit of it in the clenched fist, she pinned the human with a hoof on each shoulder. Tears now streaming down her cheeks, she screamed, “You damned fool!”

Garret was, needless to say, shocked. He didn’t even know she could cry. Teeth bared and eyes clenched, she sobbed, “You bucking damn fool….”

Collapsing, she pressed her lips to his. Feeling the blood spill into his mouth, Garret’s eyes bugged. But that paled to what came next. Tongue…. There shouldn’t be tongue!

Bucking under her a moment, he lifted a hand, and put under her chin. Lifting her up, and her tongue gave his one parting wrap around before departing, he pushed her to the side. Off kilter, Cloud yelped as she was knocked onto her back. Putting both palms over a wing, this time the human pinned the Pegasus. And glaring down at her, he shouted, “Hey! Did I say that was ok? Huh?”

Tucking her hooves to her chest, Cloudkicker sniffed miserably, and gave a shake of her head. Turning his head to the side, he spat out the equines blood, then let the lavender mare up. For a moment, she just looked up at the sky, then rolling onto her belly, covered her head with her hooves. Spitting again, Garret wiped his mouth, and looked at the pegasus next him. Her wings were limp and spread out over the ground, a clear indication of her emotions if the tears weren’t a clue. Fuck, she attacked him, demanding answers no less, and practically forced herself on him, and now he was supposes to comfort her?

Well… it was my fault.. he mused. The appearance of one who was once an enemy had put him in a bad disposition, and for the last few weeks, the human had been morose. Closing himself off from friends, both human and equine, he’d just sat in his room the first couple of days. Didn’t eat, didn’t sleep, the memories of those days. And equines were social creatures, and he’d barely spoken to anyone. Sighing, he got off the ground, and walked to the Pegasus Kneeling down, he gently stroked her mane. Feeling her tense, then loosen under his fingers, he rolled his eyes.

“I’m sorry, CK.”

Her ears rose from their flattened positions, and turned slightly towards him. Her wings slowly began to tighten against her side, but she still wouldn’t lift her hooves. Smiling, he continued his strokes.

“I made you worry, didn’t I?”

The mare nodded under her hooves, and slowly lifted one leg to gaze tearily up at him.

“It’s just…. I don’t like to talk about it, ok? I’m sorry we had this fight, and I’m sorry I hurt you…. But please, I can’t talk about it, ok?”

Whimpering, the mare nodded, and lifted her hoof of her head. Sitting up on her haunches, she flicked a gaze to the human, then pouted.

“I’m sorry too. I shouldn’t have kissed you like that.” She giggled, and rubbed the back of her neck. “The heat of the moment and taste of blood, you know…”

She looked back at him. “Are we… cool then?”

The human nodded.Nodding back, Cloudkicker stood. The human stood as well, and smiled down at the equine. “Need an escort to the hospital?”

Cloud Kicker tapped a hoof to her chin a moment, then grinned.

“Nah, I can make it on my own. Besides, I wanna make a play towards that cutie Code Blue.”

Groaning, Garret face palmed.

Author's Note:

Thanks, as always, to Chengar. Questions, comments, critiques are always welcomed

Spirits appear to come in two distinct categories for humans.

1) The ones that came to the bar were actual spirits. Spirits, if they haven’t found way to the other side, often will become angry and could torment the living. While humans do have immunity to their assault, other creatures, such as gryphons and ponies, would suffer from vertigo, ringing of the ears, chills, and crippling fear. However, once on the other side, ghosts easily can come and go, usually to offer comfort to their loved ones.

2)The second tier is residual memories. Basically, the energy from a living person imprints itself on a building, and manifests itself. These manifestations can last anywhere from a few days to centuries. However, these leftovers have no real consciousness, and cannot gain awareness. There just that... memories. They manifest as the steretypical pale spirits of entertainment