• Published 4th Oct 2011
  • 2,799 Views, 19 Comments

All The Right Notes - 404error



Soarin' and Octavia.

  • ...
1
 19
 2,799

Chapter 1 - Her

Soarin' was immediately woken up by the sound and vibrations of Spitfire. By the way she was yelling, he could tell she was a little mad.

"Soarin'! Wake up!"

He looked up at the annoyed pony with a glazed look in his eyes. He hated being forcefully woken up.

"Wh-what do you want? Not sure if you noticed, but when a pony closes his eyes, he most likely asleep."

"Well, for starters, you were, and are still late to practice today, and you ate all of the apples in the storage. You need to go into Ponyville and pick up 3 dozen apples from Sweet Apple Acres."

Soarin' grunted. He didn't like going into town, people always swarmed him asking for autographs and whatnot. Sure, he had the occasional run-in with his friend Rainbow Dash, but that was about it. He rolled his eyes and agreed to do it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He glided into town, still tired from being woken up abruptly. He slowly landed by the library, and trotted towards the main square.

Wow, this place is packed today. He thought. Why was it so busy on a Tuesday? With it being so packed, he was barely noticed by civilians, making him less tense.

He walked towards the end of the square when he heard something: music. He enjoyed it, even though it was just a whisper. He followed the sound of the music to find it was in a typical Ponyville house. Soarin' sat outside for about 3 minutes, taking in the music, loving every minute of it.

Oh, this is amazing! Who is making this beautiful music? He slowly perched his head up on a windowsill close by and peered inside the home, awestruck by what he saw. He saw a grey pony, that was holding a stringed instrument. He had no idea what it was, but he didn't care. All he cared about was the fantastic music being played from the instrument.

He had his head there on the windowsill for about 10 minutes, when she finally noticed him there. She jumped, and squealed.

"Oh I'm sorry ma'am. I was just listening to the music you were playing from your...." He drifted off, he still had no idea what it was.

She gave a small giggle at the blue pony in her window. "It's a cello, and thank you for your compliment, um."

"The name's Soarin'!" He said triumphantly. "And yours is?"

"I'm Octavia. Pleased to meet you Soarin'. So you really enjoyed my playing?" She blushed.

"I do! I'm not a big fan of that type of music, but man, that's really good."

She giggled again, and he smiled at that, "Thank you. It's nice to know that somepony likes my music."

He nodded and gave her a big grin.

"Well, I gotta go get some apples for the crew." She looked confused when he said 'crew'

"Uh, who's 'the crew'?"

"The Wonderbolts. You know, best fliers in Equestria?" He felt a little cocky, but whatever.

"Oh yeah, I didn't recognize you without your uniform on. Anyways, good bye Soarin'. I hope to see you again" And with that she gave him a smile that made his heart melt. He smiled back and headed off in the way of Sweet Apple Acres. He wasn't sure, but he sorta liked Octavia. Not because of her music, although that was a big factor, but because she was beautiful, and she seemed really sweet.

All the way to Sweet Apple Acres, Soarin' thought of Octavia and her wonderful music. He was so in thought he didn't realize he bumped into the pony in charge of selling apples.

"Whoa watch out there sugarcube. What in tha hay are yah doin' bumpin' into things?"

"Oh, I'm sorry, I was just thinking."

"It's quite alright. Now, what can ah do ya fer?"

"I'd like 3 dozen apples please."

"Whoa, quite a big order yah got there. Why do yah need 3 dozen apples?"

"Just, some friends."

"Alrighty then. Hey Big Mac! Ah need 3 dozen apples!" She yelled at her brother who was half across the farm.

Soarin' waited about 5 minutes for the apples to appear.

"Thank yah kindly Mac."

"Eeyup." Said the large red colt, and he went away to finish with his chores for the day.

"That'll be 10 bits."

He put the bits on the stand and picked up the 2 bags of apples. They were a little heavy, but he didn't mind it. He thanked Applejack for the apples and she simply nodded. And with that, he was off to go back to Spitfire to give her the apples.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Oh it about time Soarin'! What took you so long?" Spitfire said with her full mouth.

"Uh, nothing much, busy day in Ponyville." He kept Octavia from her. He's tell her soon, but all he wanted now was to see her again. "Well Spitfire, I'm going back into Ponyville for a bit. Gotta get some.... um.... hoof polish! Yeah, hoof polish." He was a terrible liar.

"O-ok. Well, see you in a bit." She still had her mouth full. Spitfire had already eaten 4 apples, and Soarin' smiled at that. She was a good friend.

He flew off towards the main square, hoping that Octavia would still be home. He was also hoping she was still playing her cello, so he could listen to her amazing music. After searching countless houses, he finally found Octavia's. He could tell because she was humming the same tune she was playing earlier.

He knocked on the door and watched as the grey pony opened it and gave a little smile.

"Ah, Soarin' was it? When I said I wanted to see you again, I didn't mean so soon. But, whatever. What do you need?"

"Well, I was hoping that I could maybe take you out for dinner tonight. The weather patrol has it scheduled for a clear sky. So what do you say miss Octavia?"

She chuckled, smiled then softly said, "Sure, I'd love to. You seem like a good colt Soarin'."

He had a big grin on his face.

"Shall we go m'lady?" She blushed at him trying to be formal.

"Alright, just let me grab my bag."

Soarin' waited at the front door feeling jittery. Sure, he's performed to thousands of people as a Wonderbolt, and he's hung out with Spitfire a lot of times, but he's never liked her as much as he likes Octavia. She arrived and they started heading towards a nearby restaurant. Being a Tuesday night, it wasn't that busy, so they got a table pretty quickly. They sat down at their table and ordered drinks. Octavia was the one to ask the first question.

"So, Soarin', what's it like being a Wonderbolt? I bet you get a lot of people asking for autographs." He nodded.

"Yeah, it's great, plus it's a lot of fun, doing tricks and whatnot with a bunch of friends."

"That's pretty cool. I've been to one of your shows, and you guys looked fabulous."

He chuckled and thanked her.

"What about you Octavia? How long have you been playing the cello?"

"Well, I've been playing for about 10 years now. I got my cutie mark when I took up the cello. From the first note I loved it. It just felt right..." She put a hoof on his, "...like tonight. It feels right."

Now it was Soarin's turn to blush. He felt it too, his face felt like it was burning. He smiled though, he couldn't care if she noticed it. He liked her, a lot, and that proved that she liked him, a lot.

They got their food, and ate it, telling each other stories and more about themselves between bites. They had a great time, laughing, and just enjoying their time together. Before they knew it, the restaurant was starting to close, so they got up and Soarin' took Octavia home.

When they got there, they looked at each other and smiled. Octavia leaned in a kissed him on the cheek.

"I had a really good time tonight Soarin'. You're a real good colt." He smiled.

"So did I, it was a lot of fun. And thank you."

They bid each other a good night and she closed the door. He smiled and sighed, then panicked realizing he didn't pick up and hoof polish. He just shrugged it off and headed home.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When he got to his house, Spitfire was helping herself to food items in his kitchen, he just smirked and walked in.

"Find what you're looking for?" Spitfire jumped.

"Soarin'! You scared me!" She looked at him confused, "Where's the hoof polish?"

"Oh, yeah. Well you see... um..." She cut him off.

"Soar, no need to lie, I know you were out with that mare. I was a bit skeptical about the whole hoof polish thing so I sorta spied on you. You seemed like you had a good time with her." He felt relieved. "So what's her name?"

"What? Oh, her name is Octavia, and she plays the cello. She's amazing at it, and she's really sweet."

"Yeah, she looked that way. Well, I'm off to bed. G'night Soar!"

"Night Spitfire." And with that he too went off to bed.

He couldn't sleep for hours, he was thinking about her.

"Good night Octavia." He whispered to himself, and he drifted off to sleep.