• Published 25th May 2013
  • 1,544 Views, 20 Comments

Into Hell, and out to where? - DarkAscension



I was paid to help track down a local Terrorist ring south of Ta'if, Saudi Arabia. It seemed like an easy enough job, find them, report their location, assist in the assault. But, as you know, Nothing ever goes as planned.

  • ...
5
 20
 1,544

Chapter 1

25 June, 0915 hours.

I walked down the loud, busy street of Ta'if. It was hot, to hot. To hot to be in all this gear I had on. I was supposed to meet some guy by the name of Tom Mu at the cafe an hour ago. When he didn't show, I had Nick stay put while I went looking.
I completed another lap around the market area and took a seat by a fruit shop. The owner yelled at me, "Buy or leave! You scaring away business!"

With a sigh I grabbed an apple and tossed him a dollar. He shut up after that. After a few bites I got up and grabbed another one. "Thanks" I nod to him and walk away. I go back to the busy streets and continue looking.

"Ice 0-1, Tom arrived at location. Waiting for you to get your fat ass back here." Nick said over the radio.

"Copy that 0-2. On my way." I turn off my radio and break out into a slow run. "Fucking finally..."

I get back to the cafe a few minutes later. Nick sees me and stands up, followed by who I assume is Tom Mu. I shake his hand and take my seat by Nick.

"Mr. Hewson, so glad you can join us. I apologize for being late, I had a rough morning." He says with a slight Asian accent.
"Happens to us all. You have our info?" He slid a folder across the table. Grabbing it, I flip it open and thumb through the pages. Once I got to a picture I stopped.

"That's him. Haliaf Al Hassim, leader of the Terrorist cell responsible for..." I tune him out as I study the picture.

He looked like any other guy that was from these parts. Short spiky hair, long beard, AK. Only thing that stood out on him was a scar that ran across his nose. Started from his right eye, and ended at the left side of his lips. He also had one blue eye.

'This is going to be easier then I thought.' I think to myself.

I close the folder and hand it to Nick. "Well Mr. Mu, thank you for everything you've done getting us this information. But now it's time for us to get to work. Have a pleasant day." I bow in respect and walk off to our hotel. I hear Nick say something to Tom but I couldn't tell what it was over the volume of the streets.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

26 June 1537 hours.

I sat perched up on a hill top overlooking a vast valley. Nick was slowly making his way to a group of American Marines who spotted us. I adjusted the stock and aimed down the scope of my XM2010 sniper rifle. I could see four HMMWV's with mounted 240b's, and one MK19 grenade launcher, and about twenty Marines total.

Now being American myself, you'd think this situation would be no problem. But that's not the case. We Mercs don't get along with your average soldier, and we're technically not allowed to be in this part of the country.

Nick made his way to the Marines and stood at the ready. Every Marine had their gun trained on him, through the scope I could see him talking with who I assumed was the CO of the unit.

Scanning the group I found none were paying me much attention. This went on for some time, Nick and him talking, me sitting behind a scope. It was to fucking hot out for this. I hate this fucking Hell hole.

"Ice 0-1." A voice came over the radio.

"Go ahead 0-2."

"The Marines have agreed to help us find Haliaf Al Hassim. Turns out, they were hunting him too. Tracked him to a cave not so far from here."

"That's a shock. Alright, coming down."

I grabbed my rifle and stood up, popping my back as I stretched. With a heavy sigh I walked down the hill and up to the Marines.

"Ice 0-1? Lima 2-4. Lieutenant Conners, Force Recon. Seems we're going after the same man." The Marine Nick was talking to earlier said. He stuck out a hand which I took.

"It appears so. 0-2 said you know his location?" I asked.

He nodded and pointed to the mountain range to the south. "He's held up in a cave system in those mountains. We were on our way when we spotted you and your spotter. Come, you can ride with me." He raised his hand and waved it in a circle. Every Marine returned to a HMMWV.

Nothing more was said. Me and Nick sat in the back as we rode into the mountain pass. All eyes were scanning the landscape. "These guys can be anywhere. Stay sharp, ETA 5 Mikes." Conners called out into the radio.

We drove on in silence for those five minutes. Nothing said, nothing heard. The driver stopped and got out. Conners soon followed. I shrugged to Nick and opened the door. The Marines were gathering in a circle, so we joined in.

"Alright, the cave is just over this hill. We haven't seen any signs of them, so that means they don't know we're here, or it's a trap. I want to roll in HMMWV's first. Driver and Gunner. The rest will follow once the shooting starts. 0-1, you and your spotter head to that hill and provide sniper cover for my boys." He points to a hill that overlooks the mountain side.\
"Copy that. Lets move." Me and Nick took off running for the hill. Staying low we climbed the back of it and set up on the top between some rocks.

Nick pulled out his M4 and took aim. "No contacts."

I nodded and positioned my XM2010 in a wedge of the rocks. I pulled my extra mags and set them aside. I peered through the scope and scanned the entrance of the cave.

"Lima 2-4 the area looks clear. Green light." I said through the radio.

I didn't even get a response. The HMMWV's just started up and made their way to the mouth of the cave. The stopped, "You sure this is the right cave-"

Pop

A shot range out and the Gunner of the first HMMWV dropped down. "Contact!" A Marine yelled as all hell broke loose. Shots range through the air as dozens of Insurgents came pouring from the cave. Dozens more appearing at random all over the mountain.

"Shit. Open fire." I told Nick as I pulled the trigger.

My shot found its mark in the chest of one of the many targets that littered the area. I racked back the bolt and pushed in a new round. Nick rained round after round at them as I took aim. I lined my crosshairs on another Insurgent and pulled the trigger.

His head turned to a red mist as he fell back. His friends saw my shot and started to put rounds our way.

The shots chipped at the rock we hid behind, causing me at flinch when one would get to close. The Marines weren't having any more luck then us either. They were pinned behind the HMMWV's returning fire as best they could.

I set my sights on a man with an RPG. He aimed it at us and shot. Time slowed down. I watched as the Rocket Propelled Grenade flew straight and true right at us. I closed my eyes and awaited my doom.

I heard the round fly by over head "Holy shit!" Nick cried out. I looked up. The smoke trail missed us by inches. "Thank God RPG's are shit."

I realigned my sights and shot him. He doubled over and shot off his new round into the ground at his feet. An explosion rocked the mountain, causing rocks to fall, and enemies to become exposed.

The Marines took this opportunity and came out guns blazing. It was beautiful. Every shot hit a target, not a single Marine missed a step on his way to the caves. Within five seconds, the mountain side was almost clear, and the Marines reached the caves.

"I'll leave clean up to you 0-1. Good luck." Conners said.

"Copy that. Bag that son of a bitch."

With the Marines gone, we were the only targets. Bullets rained down on us hard. But we couldn't move. We were pinned in the rocks. We returned fire, Nick spraying his M4, while I dropped one after another.

I dropped the mag from my rifle and picked up a fresh one. As I inserted it, Nick yelled, "RPG! Get out!" Before I could react, he grabbed me and threw me out from cover just as the RPG hit the rocks.

'Nick...' The rocks exploded in a fiery ball of dirt and shrapnel. The force sent me flying threw the air.

I hit the ground, rolling violently down the hill until I hit something hard. I was in a daze, my vision was blurry. "0-2....0-2 do you copy. Nick....Nick!" I called out through the radio. I got static in return.

I got to my knees and looked around.

'Grass? Trees?' I stood up, trying to get a better view. All around me was bright green grass and forest life. "Where the hell am I?" I grabbed my radio.

"This is Ice 0-1, does anyone copy?" Static.

"This is Ice 0-1, please, if anyone is hearing this, respond." More static.

I sigh in defeat and look to the sky. The sun was, what I assumed, just rising over the horizon. So I went that way. I'm bound to run into someone at some point right?