• Published 22nd May 2013
  • 744 Views, 22 Comments

The Mettle of Friendship - Solace Sojourn



Violet Vigil is, by most standards, an ordinary earth pony. However, she was raised on a secluded farm. What happens when a rural earth pony is forced to ingratiate herself into more modern society?

  • ...
0
 22
 744

Arc 2: Unbroken Vigil, chp 8

“Crap, crap, crap,” Violet mumbled over and over, pacing. “I can’t go back! There’s no way…”

If she remembered just how sore her limbs were, she ignored the burn in them, too intent on her current predicament. To go back meant facing Zen and Sonorous again, facing the two ponies with which she had become so close in the past few days. She didn’t think she could do that. Violet didn’t want to see that look in their eyes, hear the words she was too scared to think about, or feel any more allure toward one of them in particular. She utterly failed in that last regard.

“Damnit…” she said, gritting her teeth. “Damnit! Nothing is ever simple, is it?” Violet continually flicked her tail in irritation and sat down by the brook. Now that she could behold her reflection, what she found startled her and she recoiled. She didn’t care about her somewhat frazzled mane or the few patches of dirt on her coat or even the bruise she found on her shoulder that she didn’t remember getting. It was her eyes.

After she returned her gaze to her reflection, she felt a cold embrace over her heart. Is that the message I really send to ponies? Violet had, on countless occasions, read other ponies by merely gazing into their eyes. The eye was the gateway into a pony’s most protected self. But never before had she done it to herself, never before had she seen defeat, regret, and contempt for the former two in her own eyes. The sight terrified her. How could she claim to only help ponies when she couldn’t even help herself?

Slumping down, Violet covered her face with her hooves and grimaced. What can I do? I want to… I need…

The thought to return to the two stallions burned itself in her mind until she finally grunted and slammed the ground with a hoof. Violet rose to all fours and took a deep breath, readying herself, however superfluous it was. She couldn’t prepare herself—not really, not for facing somebody with whom she was in love. The thought brought back something she’d thought not too long ago.

How do you prepare yourself for… for compassion? For intimacy? For love…?

She knew now that she couldn’t. Those very feelings inherently require a lowering of defenses, and as such, can’t be prepared for. The only contingency was actually taking the step forward and embracing said feelings… and the result? It’s like stepping into a hot bath. It’s intense at first and everything is pure, raw sensation. Then, when it cools and you settle into it… you’re more comfortable and you find yourself enjoying every little bit of your body being exposed, explored, and appreciated.

Violet turned and looked back in the general direction of Manehatten. Swallowing hard, she took one step forward, and ended up tripping over a loose root. She fell face first into the dirt.

“I am…” she mumbled, “… the most graceful pony… ever.” And she laughed. Violet giggled at herself. She rose from the dirt and shook herself, throwing the dirt aside, all with a slight grin on her muzzle. It felt good to poke fun at herself and it seemed as if a weight had been lifted from her shoulders. Sighing to herself, she started on her way back to the city.

When she reached the construction site, nobody was there. There was, however, quite a bit of cement stacked in awkward patterns and a stray, orange contraption that Violet only assumed was used for some sort of construction. Zen and Sonorous must still be in their apartment, she mused. It still is pretty early.

Strolling into the city, Violet didn’t even stop by the fire department; instead, she moseyed deeper into Manehatten. The mare took notice of the few ponies around her and was surprised to find each of them smiling—or, at least, glancing—back at her. The question then arose whether they had always acknowledged her in this way or just started to do so due to some change in the way she carried herself. Either way, she smiled back at each and every one of them, even if they hadn’t in the first place.

When she reached the apartment, she stood for a moment, hearing slight noise coming from inside the building. She slowly entered, seeing a white stallion at the front desk that turned and immediately widened his eyes upon locking gazes with her.

“Are you…” he started but was unable to continue; instead, he motioned with his hoof upward and toward the stairs.

Violet blushed and nodded some, looking away. “Yeah. I… had a bit of an overreaction.” The stranger shook his head and waved a hoof in dismissal. “Everybody has off days.”

Nodding again, albeit slowly due to the sheer nature in which she had reacted, the mare returned her attention to the stallion. “Do you know Zen and Sonorous?”

“The guys upstairs in 3A?”

“Mhm.”

“Barely. They keep to themselves.”

“Yeah,” Violet laughed. “Isn’t that the truth…? Alright, I’ll be on my way.”

The stranger nodded to Violet and returned his attention to the front desk and attendee that resided at it. Violet made her way to and up the stairs until she was at the door to 3A. She took several deep breaths and knocked lightly. Several moments passed in which there was no answer. Tilting her head to one side, she knocked again, if a bit louder. Still no answer. Against her better judgment, she pushed against the door and was surprised when it swung wide. Violet made her slow way inside the room, looking all about for any signs of the stallions. There were several bottles of water littering the floor along with a couple pillows and several sheets of paper. At once, she noticed the backpack right beside the door where she had left it. Although, she, too, noticed a stack of paper on the table. It was the one she had read from Zen’s room—the one with the eviction notice. Unease clawed at her stomach at that moment. She could take the backpack and leave right then. She didn’t even have to face Zen or Sonorous again—she could just go. That’s what she had come here to do, after all. It seemed so easy and all the more enticing because of it. However, she couldn’t take her eyes off the stack of paper. The more she stared at it, the more an idea started to form in her head.

Maybe I could find something of use in that document… something to help them.

It was worth a shot, she decided. Violet sat down on the couch and rummaged through the papers, tossing aside all the advertisements and other useless print. She reached the eviction notice in no time and when she looked at it, her heart dropped. None of the jargon in the paper made any sense to her. She could read, but she wasn’t versed in legal matters at any degree; as such, she couldn’t make heads or tails of the document.

Sighing, Violet tossed the eviction notice to the floor. Immediately, the piece of paper that had been underneath it caught her attention. In fact, she remembered there being one more slip of paper when she had first read the eviction notice—she just hadn’t bothered to look at it. Either that, or I don’t remember it was there.

She leaned forward and read. It was addressed to someone’s mom and dad—a letter. As she continued to read, Violet gasped and put a hoof to her muzzle, fighting back a hurricane in her eyes. Zen had written about her.

Dear Mom and Dad,

I hope the two of you are doing well. You can’t possibly be doing any worse than we are at the moment, but still…

Sonorous told me he got another commission. Solace Sojourn wants us to draw up plans for a news station right outside Manehatten where commercial traffic is the heaviest. Something about getting the news where it could be seen the most. It makes sense. I just care about the money. With it, we should be good for a month or two, but only when it’s finished. I wish it was sooner rather than later.

Also… I met someone. Her name is Violet Vigil. She came out of scenic nowhere when Sonorous and I were just working one day, inspecting the land on which we would build the news station. She… We talked for a bit and while she has some issues of her own, she is just a delight. I’ve found the ability to smile again and not just because we get to keep our home for a few more weeks. I smile because the flowers smell nice again. I smile because every sunrise seems a little brighter. I smile because she does.

I wish I could send you this letter now. I wish I had enough money to spare for that but until we get paid for this commission, we have to take care of the necessities. I’m not too worried, though…

Vivi gives me hope for a better tomorrow.

Love,

Zen

Violet grimaced and felt her stomach twist, turn, and writhe in agony. She almost took the letter and threw it away but she noticed something off about it. After taking a moment to focus and gather herself, she saw that bits of the piece of paper were creased and crumpling. She poked those spots and felt that they were somewhat damp. What made this wet…? It wasn’t me. I actually held in my tears. It must’ve been…

Her heart dropped. Oh, no… he can’t be far, though. Violet had to find him, had to apologize for everything she had screwed up. She didn’t even care if she still had to leave. All she cared about was patching up what she might of her relationship. Zen deserves that much.

Folding the letter and placing it in the backpack, she slung it over her shoulders and bolted out of the apartment. Violet didn’t slip on the stairs as she raced down them and out of the building, devout in her search for her friends. She had no idea where to start, though, and resorted to simply asking passerbys if they had seen a golden earth pony and a gray pegasus. After about half an hour of no results, Violet, frantic as ever, slumped against the side of The Barn Garden and sighed. The sun wasn’t quite overhead but began to beat down on her coat, forcing her to wipe some sweat from her brow.

Zen… Sonorous… where are you two?

She turned and looked inside the restaurant. At once, she spotted the booth in which they’d had more than just lunch. Longing wormed its way into her heart and she leaned her head on the glass, flattening her ears.

“I’m sorry…” she whispered and clenched her eyes shut. Violet repeated the phrase many times until she opened her eyes with the intent to look in once more and to recreate the kiss in her head. Somebody else, however, looked up at her from inside the restaurant. It was a gray pegasus, but not one of which she wanted to find. This one had yellow eyes.

Violet recoiled and tilted her head. The stranger pointed to the front door at her right and to himself. Slowly, the mare entered the restaurant and walked over to the pegasus, keeping her eyes trained on him all the while. He was a little different from any other pegasi she’d seen, however. His wings were a light blue on the top while the bottom was plain white. His chest was also white instead of the gray that the rest of his coat was. He sported a goatee, his ears were pointed due to his hair, and each of his legs had fetlocks. Those yellow eyes never failed to strike her attention, the stark contrast from the rest of his body standing out well. His cutie mark caught her attention the most, though. It was a blue quill that wrote a line of flames. She pondered all of this as she made her way to him.

“Hey Violet,” he said with a gentle smile, sitting down at the same table at which she and Zen had sat not that long ago.

“How do you know my name?” she asked with a cross look. Violet did sit down with him, but she took great care around the stranger.

“I didn’t—not really. I just guessed. Zen talked about this silver coated mare with the most gorgeous violet colored eyes he’s ever seen,” and at this, he gestured to her. “I’d say it was a reasonable guess.”

Narrowing her eyes, she looked him up and down. “Who are you? And how do you know Zen?”

“My name is Solace Sojourn—”

“—So you’re the one that commissioned them just recently…”

“Indeed. I also ran into you that one time…” he reminded and chuckled. “Sorry about that. I was kinda late to meet Sonorous that day.”

She made no movement whatsoever so Solace continued. “I was there a couple times while Sonorous worked on it. I didn’t see Zen much, though. At least, until this morning.”

Violet winced slightly. Solace raised an eyebrow and put a hoof to his muzzle, a questioning look on his face. “He did seem a bit down… I’m guessing something happened last night.”

Hardening her eyes and flattening her ears, Violet muttered, “What are you even doing here?”

“I’ve had breakfast here while I check on the construction for the past couple days.”

Silence crept its way into their conversation. A waiter stopped by the table but Solace had already picked up his menu and was mumbling to himself. “A few more minutes, please?” The waiter nodded and went about helping another table instead. Solace returned his attention to Violet and sighed.

“So, what brings you to The Barn Garden, Violet? Or rather, what brings you to its glass windows?”

Violet looked away and kept her silence. Talking about everything that had happened over the past couple of days was not something she wanted to do with a complete stranger. All she wanted was to talk with Zen and Sonorous. Mostly Zen. She didn’t want to leave more of her past in such a lamentable state. She’d had ten years too much of that.

“Well, is there anything you want me to tell Zen?”

Her ears perked and she jerked her attention back to the pegasus. “You know where to find him? And Sonorous?”

“Yeah, why? Can’t you?” he asked, tilting his head.

“Nevermind me,” she said quickly and waved a hoof in dismissal. “Where can I find them?”

“Last they told me, they were heading over to the local tavern. They wanted to drink for a bit… de-stress a little.”

“Can you show me where it is?”

Solace nodded but gestured to the table. “Can we eat first?” Violet sighed and massaged her head; after which, she shook her head.

“If you’re not coming with me, then just tell me where to find it. I really need to talk to them, Solace.”

He raised an eyebrow and stared at her for a long while. Something flickered in his eyes, Violet noticed. His gaze softened as he put down the menu and spoke in a tone both gentle yet firm. “No… I think I’ll join you.”

Violet recoiled somewhat and asked, “Really?”

“Really. You seem devoted to fixing whatever happened last night which I admire…” he trailed off, looking away for a moment. “Besides, they’re my friends, too.”

An unusual surge of affection and appreciation for Solace coursed through Violet. Nodding, she rose from the table and gestured for Solace to lead the way. He did so, stopping by the front desk to tell them he’d changed his mind about eating there. The pegasus apologized briefly about wasting their time, placing a few bits on the counter for their trouble. Without looking back, he strolled out of the restaurant, Violet right behind him.

The city was becoming more crowded and their pace slowed. The delay frustrated Violet but she kept her peace. She would reach them in time. However… she still preferred to reach them as quickly as possible. As such, she mumbled to Solace about it.

“Patience, Violet,” he reassured. “They’re fine, I’m sure.”

Violet wasn’t so sure. The very first thing they had told her when she had entered Manehatten was to avoid the tavern. And now they go there to cool down? Something’s off…

Her gaze was wandering about the city, taking in new sights since Solace was leading them to a part of town with which she had no experience. Bright lights adorned several signs for the buildings; one, in particular, had a sign that displayed a pony spinning down a pole and posing lewdly. While she tilted her head in confusion at that, Solace pointed to the building next to it. “There.”

It was a large, wooden building titled “The Hay Barrel.” Violet saw the trail on which she walked continue past it and out of the city. She guessed this was another entrance to—or exit from—Manehatten. As she entertained the thought, Violet saw, on the edge of her vision, something red, large, and on wheels enter the city and drive by them.

“Fireponies are finally back.”

Violet turned to face him for a moment and then looked back to the truck as it drove away. The realization that she wouldn’t have been able to reenter the fire department the past couple of days struck her a little less hard than did the realization that she could now.

“Violet?” Solace asked. When she returned her attention to the pegasus, she saw he was already making his way into the tavern. She began to follow him, sudden apprehension curdling her stomach; though, whether it was from the fire department or the tavern, she knew not.

The closer she got to the tavern, the more muffled noises she heard. Somebody, or something, was causing quite a commotion in there. Violet gradually flattened her ears until she joined Solace at the entrance. Solace looked a question to her before moving to open the door. He never got the chance, however. The doors were blasted aside as a very bruised, battered, and angry Sonorous collapsed against the floor in between either of them.

Groaning, he yelled back into the tavern. “We had more than a week!”