• Published 22nd May 2013
  • 744 Views, 22 Comments

The Mettle of Friendship - Solace Sojourn



Violet Vigil is, by most standards, an ordinary earth pony. However, she was raised on a secluded farm. What happens when a rural earth pony is forced to ingratiate herself into more modern society?

  • ...
0
 22
 744

Arc 1: Violet Sunset, chp 1

Violet Vigil wasn’t much to gawk at. She was an earth pony with a medium but firm build. Her coat was pale silver, her mane and tail dark violet with streaks of bright silver in them. Her eyes were violet, vivid and piercing. She didn’t have her cutie mark—that little symbol on her flanks that told her what her one true talent was—yet. She hadn’t tried enough, hadn’t seen enough, and hadn’t known enough to earn it. She was just a kid.

Violet lived on a carrot, potato, and otherwise root farm in the mountain range west of Trottingham. A farm meant work. Constant work. She loved the work—spending nearly all day uprooting the produce so it could be cleaned and stocked en masse to be sold elsewhere in Equestria—for it gave her something to focus on, something to engage herself in, and something to distract her. From the time she was four years old, she worked on the farm. She didn’t ask for more than that as she didn’t want more than that.

Her father, Earthcrest, became the insistence that instilled within her diligence and a good work ethic. Her mother, Starlight Tread, showed her the importance of a thoughtful mind and subtle yet fervent empathy. She had a nice family; she really did. Small, but loving. Violet wouldn’t give them up for anything—they answered her questions, stayed her fears, and gave her a sense of self… she was as close with them as dirt was to her hooves after a long day.

When she was six years old, her parents brought forth the topic of leaving home for school, to which Violet gave them a blank stare, tilted her head, and asked, “W-what? What are you talking about?”

“Violet…” her father said. “We don’t want you to be isolated to this farm. The wide world is full of experiences and adventures that we can’t give you.” Violet merely tilted her head the opposite direction and inquired, “O-outside home...?” She shook her head.

Sighing, her mother trotted up to Violet and placed a hoof on her shoulder. “Sweetie, you will not be doing this forever. You deserve a better life…”

“We are sending you to school,” her father spoke up. He hardened his eyes when his daughter’s eyes became glossy and shed a few tears. He hardened his heart when she cried out, “But, I don’t want to!” and “Mommy, Daddy, don’t leave me!” Violet clung to her mother and buried her muzzle in one foreleg, hiding her face. She didn’t want to leave, didn’t want to lose the simple comfort of her parents. Mom and Dad were like her personal nightlights, keeping away the dark. Violet was never sure why she felt better when they held her hoof, kissed her forehead, and told her everything would be alright, but she did. And when they left the room with a soft “Goodnight,” suddenly… it was.

And Violet was losing them. Sure, she’d return to them every day and be able to cling to them as if there was some faint hope she’d never be able to let go—never be able to escape the security and safety—but she knew nobody, was nobody, and couldn’t rely on anybody. She’d be by herself. No nightlight. No sure voice telling her it would be okay. No mystical powers settling that uneasy feeling in her stomach whenever she was scared. Trembling, Violet asked, “How long?”

Starlight looked a plea to her husband. Earthcrest sighed and said, “I don’t know. I’ll go to the school and ask that tomorrow. Today, we need to get the rest of the work done. Vivi?” At the sound of her nickname, Violet felt her stomach plummet. She wouldn’t be called that; at least, not as much. It was a small thing, likely one she would soon forget, but for that reason, it was all the more saddening. There was a familiarity attached to it, and the more she gave it up, the more she would be leaving behind a part of herself until she left behind her whole self, becoming an entirely new Violet. She didn’t want that.

For the rest of the day and week, Violet worked. She had never worked as hard in her entire life. It was all she could do to stave off the emotions clawing and cutting at her whenever she saw her parents, for she knew then that there would be a time when she would have to say goodbye. Unfortunately, the sheer effort she put into her work also ate the days away rapidly. The quicker she could return to her work, the sooner she could quell her wrenching stomach; but also, the sooner that fateful day came. The first day of school.

Shortly, Violet had learned she would be gone for six hours of each weekday, from nine am to three pm, and would be there every week from that month, August, to next year’s May… until she was sixteen. The magnitude of time she’d spend away from her parents frightened her and it was with great displeasure that she wrenched herself from her bed when her father called out, “Violet, wake up! It’s your first day of school!”

Grumbling to herself, and trying to ignore the protests in her gut, Violet did as she was told. She gathered her things, all of which was a backpack containing her sack lunch, some paper, and a pencil.

To her credit, she managed to keep hold of herself throughout the morning routine. When her mother brushed her mane and tail, she didn’t wince or cry out in pain whenever Starlight tugged particularly hard to straighten some clumped hair. When Earthcrest asked her how she felt, Violet merely replied, “Fine,” but this disturbed her parents. The sheer lack of character in her speech and movement set off internal alarms that something wasn’t quite right with their daughter. It wasn’t like Violet to be so short with them or so detached. When Earthcrest and Starlight lead their daughter away from home, however, Violet’s steps became progressively slower and she looked to her parents worriedly.

Finally, when they reached the edge of her home and passed a threshold marking the furthest Violet had ever ventured from her home, she turned to her mother, rushed to her legs, and clung. “Don’t make me go!”

“Violet,” Earthcrest said firmly. “You have to.”

“Why!?” Violet yelled, turning to and pointing a hoof at her father. “You say I have to go, but why? You say this leads to a better life, but what if I don’t want that life? You’re pushing me away, but why? Why!?” She choked, looking down and processing her thoughts rapidly.

Do they hate me? What have I done? I’m a good girl! I only help!

She lifted her head and wiped a few tears away. “Am I being punished for something?”

Starlight gasped and stared at her daughter. “Vivi… of course not…”

“Then why?” she leveled with an even voice.

Earthcrest narrowed his eyes and said, “Enough, Violet. You’re going to school and that’s that. They can teach you things we cannot.”

Violet was about to ask what things but her father began to push her forward with a hoof. For a short while, she fought back, batting at Earthcrest’s hoof. It soon proved to be useless. Violet soon realized she would be going to school and there was nothing she could do about it so she said, “Fine! I’ll go to school.” She didn’t want to be seen by other foals pushed into school as she was fighting back. Already, she knew she would be alone; it wouldn’t do to further alienate herself from everyone by complaining. “But I’m leading...”

Her father stopped, gave her a cross look, and turned to Starlight. “Starly…”

“Oh, let her,” she insisted. “She won’t go anywhere, hun; that is, anywhere but school.” Raising an eyebrow, he turned back to Violet and gave her a small nod and stepped back. “Well… if you say so. Violet… lead the way. It’s about ten more minutes straight forward. It’ll be visible here shortly.”

Earthcrest’s words proved to be true the more Violet walked. The school soon became visible, standing out against the mountainside as a large red barn with various structures around it. There was a sign that denoted one set of structures “Playground” and another “Cafeteria” but her ears flattened back against her head. She frowned and began slowing down once more. Did she really have to leave? Was what would be taught here really worth it? More than once, the urge to turn tail and gallop away filled her… but it never consumed her. Somehow, she managed to continue walking towards the school. She saw a few other fillies and colts, some heavily enthusiastic and others crying. When she looked to the other parents, she saw just as mixed results. She didn’t get it. If they didn’t want to go, why were they being forced to? And why did some of them want to go in the first place?

These were the questions that flittered through her mind when one filly trotted up to her, held out a hoof, and said, “Hi! My name is Petal Dance. What’s yours?”

Violet gasped and retreated behind her parents. Earthcrest chuckled and said to Petal, “She’s, apparently, a little shy. Her name is Violet Vigil. Vivi,” he said to his daughter, nudging her with a hoof. “Go on and say ‘hi.’”

She hesitated but after another nudge from her father, Violet slowly walked up to Petal and said softly, “Hello.” After a moment, she realized the hoof still hanging in the air and gently raised her own hoof to it. Her hoof was shaken up and down gently and returned to her, after which Violet swiftly ran behind her father once again.

Petal frowned but waved. “See you inside, Violet.” As she left, Violet gradually came out from behind her father and gazed at all the other foals. She wondered why they were here and whether they were here against their wills. Her ponderings were interrupted, however, when Earthcrest gently placed a hoof on her shoulder, garnering her attention.

“Violet,” he said softly. “I know this is hard but you can do it…” Violet’s eyes widened and became somewhat glossy. “… You’re our daughter and we’re so proud of you…” Her stomach plummeted and she shook her head slightly. “… So please… go on…continue to make us proud like you always have… like you always will.” She hugged Earthcrest tightly, never wanting to let go, questioning why he had so much faith in her when she didn’t posses a grain of it for herself, but then Starlight who pulled her away and looked deep into her daughter’s eyes.

“Violet,” she whispered. “We will always be here. We are not leaving you; we would never leave our daughter. You will always be our little ‘Vivi’ and nothing will change that, okay?”

Violet stared at her mother and for a moment, nothing happened. The next, the tears slid down her face unchecked and she buried her face in Starlight’s chest.

If… if they think I can do it… I’ll try… for the time being.

For the time being, Violet felt better. At length, she lifted her head from her gently smiling mother and smiled herself. She said, “Okay. I’ll do my best.”

Earthcrest wrapped one foreleg around the two most important mares in his life and grinned. “That’s all we could ever ask for, Vivi,” he said softly. “Like your mother said, we’ll be here at the end of the day. Always.” Violet nodded and stepped away from them.

“Okay… I’ll see you two later, then… here I go…”

She took a deep breath and walked away from her parents for the first time. Her parents watched her go, Starlight wiping away the tears Earthcrest never let show.