• Published 28th May 2013
  • 4,986 Views, 76 Comments

Patches - Fireydude



What if Season 3 ended differently?

  • ...
9
 76
 4,986

Chapter 7 - Rainbows, Apples, and Lassoes, oh my!

1:00 pm [Sweet Apple Acres]

On the aforementioned farm, a certain Stetson wearing orange farm-pony was at work, and as usual, it involved the fruit that her family was named for.

*Twack*

This was the resulting sound of Applejack's powerful back legs bucking out as her hooves slammed into said apple tree. Just as she and Big Mac were taught, the impact wasn't too soft as to not have any effect, but it wasn't too powerful since that would either damage the wood, uproot the tree, or outright annihilate it. Just enough so that the impact's vibrations would cause the apples above to neatly fall into the baskets placed underneath the tree by its sides.

The young mare then walked to each basket to make sure that there weren't any rotten apples in them. With a nod of approval, she used her front legs to place them both on her back. As she walked away from the freshly bucked tree, she felt something zip by from behind her as she felt a breeze on her hindquarters. Turning her head around, she saw nothing. Shrugging her shoulders a bit while holding the baskets on her back, the farm-pony trudged on. It took a little while until she came to where the rest of the apples that were bucked off their trees today were being stored. As Applejack put the baskets down on the ground, this time, something zipped right above her so fast that it caused Applejack's hat to fly off, and a couple of apples to be launched out of the baskets.

"What the hay?!" Applejack looked about as she looked for the cause of it, only for her to hear the sound of laughter coming from above her. Upon realizing who was zipping about on her farmland, her face visibly scrunched up a bit in annoyance as she looked up to see her friend/fellow-tomcolt, Rainbow Dash, pointing a hoof and laughing at AJ as she hovered above Applejack while also holding an apple she'd pilfered from one of the baskets in her other hoof.

"Ohohohoman AJ, you should've seen the look on your face!" Rainbow calmed down a bit as she gasped for air; "Y-you were all like... Like this!" She did a mocking expression of befuddlement where her eyes were exaggeratingly widened and her jaw dropped; "Pfft, I wish I'd gotten Photo Finish to capture it on camera, that would've been twenty percent cooler!" Rainbow chuckled as she took a bite of the apple she swiped.

"Well, Ah'm glad y'think that's funny Dash..." Applejack sarcastically replied as she gave a small smile; "But y'know what'd be even better?"

Rainbow Dash gulped down one last bite of the apple as she threw it over her shoulder and hovered down lower in curiosity as she watched Applejack turn her neck to reach into her saddlebag.

"You bein'... GROUNDED!"

Being as close as she was, Rainbow Dash barely managed to avoid having her left back leg snagged by the orange earth pony's lasso; "Uh... You know, I just remembered, I need to go practice this one maneuver that the other Wonderbolt back-ups taught me, so I'll just-"

"Oh-hoooo no y'don't Dash, y'ain't gettin' off that easy!"

AJ managed to snag RD's tail before she could dodge again, the lasso's noose firmly tied to the multi-colored tail. Just as she was about to pull the pegasus down to the ground, Applejack found herself being pulled into the air by Rainbow Dash, with her teeth still gripping the lasso no less.

Rainbow Dash zipped to and fro, trying to get the earth pony off, though it was easier said than done, thanks to said earth pony's physical strength and stubbornness. As she looked back at her passenger, she gave a mischievous smirk to her as she immediately went up higher and into a corkscrew spin. As soon as she finished, she looked back again, only to find that it didn't shake Applejack off, though it did make her pretty dizzy.

Dizzy, but determined nonetheless.

As Dashie flew over the branch of a fairly big apple tree, Applejack quickly used both forelegs to grip the branch, sat on it, and began pulling on her lasso. While trying to fly away, the pegasus felt herself being jerked back in mid-air. Looking back at Applejack with an annoyed look as she was being pulled back, her expression soon turned into that of a devious smile.

"ONETWOTHREEGO!"

Applejack's eyes widened as she saw RD fly straight at her, rather than from her, and was too late to do anything as she felt herself being tackled off the tree. While being tackled, Applejack used her forelegs to pin Rainbow Dash's wings to her sides, causing the both of them to fall into some bushes. As they rolled out of them, whilst they were wrestling on the ground, the two tomcolts stopped as they heard an "eh-hem" interrupt their little match.

Looking up, they saw the bemused expressions of Twilight, Rarity, and Spike.

"Can I wrestle next?" Pinkie asked the two, bouncing enthusiastically as she did; "It looks like so much fun! Oh, maybe I could try wrestling you Dashie! Although that wouldn't be fair since you have a rope attached to your tail and all, so maybe I could try you AJ! Of course you're pretty strong, though I could probably still manage!"

As Rainbow and Applejack stood up on their hooves, the farm pony removing her lasso from RD's tail.

"We weren't rasslin', Pinkie..." was Applejack's retort.

"Yeah... What she said..." Rainbow Dash replied.

"Could've fooled us..." Spike murmured.

Rainbow rolled her eyes as she coughed a bit to break the ice; "So, what brings you guys here?"

"Celestia's summoned us for something important... Again..." Twilight said.

"This obviously implies that it also includes the two of you, of course.." Rarity raised an eyebrow at the two ponies' disheveled state, deciding to let it slide for today.

As the young mares were talking (with AJ doing more of the talking than RD, who flew up to cure her boredom), Flutters was galloping somewhat as she hurried on over to where the others were. Apparently, her young house guest needed to "drain his pipe" before he could go on any further. Thankfully, it didn't take too long, since afterwards, they were managing to catch up.

Rainbow Dash spotted her from the corner of her eye above, and as she turned to look, she saw a small figure poking his head out from her mane, and attempted to duck down in an attempt to hide in Fluttershy's mane again. But it was too late, as Rainbow flew down to Fluttershy, feeling a bit curious at the moment, and it wasn't really like the other four were paying attention anyway.

"Hey Flutters, do you have someone with you? I thought I saw something poking out of your mane..." she asked her.

Before Fluttershy could reply, Alan slid off of her back and attempted to hide, only for Fluttershy to stop him by with her left wing, and gently push him so he stood by Fluttershy's legs and that Rainbow could get a better look at him.

"It's okay honey, this is Rainbow Dash, I've known her since we were fillies." Fluttershy softly said to him as she turned her attention to her childhood friend; "Rainbow, this is Alan..."

"Uh.. hi..." The kid waved sheepishly at her.

RD smiled, a bit amused at his shyness, reminding her of Fluttershy, though not to this degree. As three walked back, to the conversing mares, RD turned to her friend and asked; "Is it okay if I borrow him for a sec Flutters? Just need to introduce him to AJ..."

"Um, I suppose so.." Flutters looked down at her young house guest; "What about you Alan? Are you okay with this?"

Alan thought about it, and since it wasn't like he'd be able to hide again, what with him already being found and all, he nodded.

"All righty then... Oh, and could you hold still for a sec squirt?"

"Wait, what do you-" Alan was interrupted as he felt himself being hoisted into the air by the back of his overalls, the straps being firmly gripped in Rainbow Dash's teeth. Since he was quickly becoming accustomed to being held like this, Alan only kicked out a bit as Rainbow carried him over to the others, each step bringing the two closer to the other ponies.

Said others turned their heads to see Rainbow walking over, with Fluttershy following behind.

"What'n tarnation? Who's that she's got in her mouth?"

"You'll be acquainted with him soon enough..." Rarity smiled a bit as Rainbow soon came to the four mares and baby dragon.

Once Rainbow walked up to Applejack, she sat on her haunches, positioned her front legs 'neath Alan's under arms, and held him out to AJ after releasing her grip on the straps of his garment.

"Alan, meet Applejack; Applejack, meet Alan..." she said with a grin.

"H-hi.."

"Well howdy there sugah cube! No need to be bashful with me..." Applejack greeted him; "Ah'd tip m'hat t'ya, but a certain SOMEPONY caused it to fly off while Ah was busy with m'chores!"

Rainbow Dash whistled oh so innocently in response.

Fluttershy smiled as she saw that Applejack didn't seem to be bothered by him one bit. Thankfully, Alan didn't seem to mind her, so much so that he found himself being held in AJ's forelegs, and wasn't trying to squirm out.

"Haven't seen anythin' or anyone like ya..."

Before Applejack could ask about his species, Twilight interrupted; "We'll tell you on the way, for now, we need to get to the train station that goes to Canterlot.”

"Ah'll be sure to let m'family know... Though won't the folks at the train station have a few questions, y'know, regardin' this little fella?"

"I'll be using a cloaking spell... It's pretty much the same way we got him into town and out without anypony seeing him." Twilight responded with a nod.
-

2:50 pm [Canterlot]

As Celestia sat on her throne, reading a scroll to herself she was levitating, one of the guards walked up to her and said;

"Your majesty? The bearers of the Elements have arrived!”

Celestia smiled as she put the scroll down; "Good, send them in..."

Author's Note:

Woot! Yes, finally got to write this, especially since I'm on Winter vacation now (and I've finished with my finals..), hopefully I'll have more free time to write more chapters.

Also, aside from Pinkie, RD and AJ are also my favorite members of the Mane Six, so hopefully I managed to keep them in character.

Anyway, Merry Hearths Warming dudes, stay cool.