• Published 19th May 2013
  • 1,336 Views, 88 Comments

Thunderheads - Marcus Centurian



The Adventures of Cloud Kicker and Blossomforth in the Five Score Divided by Four Universe

  • ...
12
 88
 1,336

Tornado

I swear if I ever get to meet Luna I am going to have some choice words for her. Better yet, I’m going to give her the gift of the most powerful punch I can deliver, square on her nose. If that results in my banishment or vaporization or torture in the place I’m banished to, it’ll be worth it if that means the end or even a break in these nightmares. Is it too much to ask to get some decent sleep at least one night this week?

Tonight saw me on a dock, embracing a pony. Tears streamed from her face as well as mine. I didn’t want to let go, but everything told me that I had to let them go. We reluctantly broke the hug as I looked into Carrot Top’s face and those beautiful eyes, the same caring, green eyes I recalled from my youth and, more recently, in Ponyville.

“You don’t have to do this! Why are you helping the zebras anyway? They seem to be doing fine on their own. Stay here, where it is safe.” I pleaded.

“I’m sorry, Blossom, but I have to go. They need me. They need somepony who has plant savvy to identify and catalogue indigenous plants and I have the skill. ”

“You have been talking with Twilight again, haven’t you” I deadpanned, then I redoubled my entreaty, “But we need you! What will Ponyville be like without your bright and cheery stall, or your legendary carrot soup or your pleasant smile? Doesn’t that mean anything?”

“I won’t lie. I’m going to miss Equestria and my friends, you included. But I must do this, not just because the Princess asked me to, but for myself. This is a moment to grow, to see something new, and to meet new places and faces. I promise I will return someday.”

“But it’s dangerous! You are going into uncharted and wild territory out in the jungle. There are creatures and carnivorous plants and ruins and…”

One look in her eyes told me she had made up her mind and nothing I could say or do would dissuade her now.

I resigned myself and added, “Just…take care of yourself, OK? The last thing I want is to hear you were eaten by a manticore or some rouge tribe of cannibals. Promise me that above all else! Please….” I pleaded.

“I promise.”

We embraced in one last hug and held each other.

“Ship to Zebracia leaving in five minutes, all passengers please begin final boarding,” a sailor shouted.

We broke off the hug as a nearby couple did the same as Carrot Top climbed aboard the ferry. I stood stoically as the deep, loud-throated bellow came from the ship’s horn as it left the platform, slowly but surely sailing out of Manehattan harbor toward the Zebra lands beyond. I stood there waving as Carrot stood on the rear mezzanine waving back.

Suddenly a black tentacle shot up from below the water, bringing the ominous threat of trouble. I jolted to attention and prepared to take off, when I found a similar black tentacle wrapped around my midsection, strangling my airflow. Something felt terribly off about the monster, but as it starved my brain of oxygen, I couldn’t fight the feeling that it wasn’t original to the memory I must have been viewing. I felt more and more faint as I blacked out or, more accurately, woke up.

I woke with a start, sweating and frightfully awake from that sea monster, kracken or giant squid or whatever it was that tried to kill me. My terror escalated as I found I was similarly bound by something wrapped tightly around my barrel, squeezing the life out of me. I wanted to scream, but found I couldn’t with my restricted airflow. I forced every ounce of strength I had into thrashing about, trying to get the monster to release me. Fortunately that worked as the noose loosened, letting in precious oxygen and a mumbled sentence sounding something like, “Go over there Mom, I wanna ride the human…” coming from the monster.

I thumped unceremoniously to the floor as Cloud shifted after the loss of her pillow, namely me. Only then did I realize that Cloud’s hooves must have been what had been holding me. In a bout of minor pain and embarrassment, I tried to get up but fell. I tried again and again as my body caught up with my mind. I suddenly really had to go pee, but my new body refused to cooperate. Frantically I flailed about trying to propel myself forward to the bathroom. Quadrapedal locomotion shouldn’t be this hard, just one hoof in front of the other! Fiddlesticks! (Oh how I wish I could swear right now). I ended up scooting along with only my back legs for propulsion like Sweetie Belle did when she was bored in ‘Sisterhooves Social.’ I’m sure Cloud would tease me for my lifetime and beyond if she saw me, but at this moment I didn’t care and it appeared to be working with only a minor rug burn as the consequence.

The bathroom door came ahead of me with a light thump of my head. The bane of my existence greeted me, a doorknob. I forlornly looked at my fully formed hooves and realized that this was going to be a problem. I tried several different positions of my hooves, trying my hardest to grasp that piece of bronze and I was ten seconds from bucking the door down, although I realized with my underwhelming experience standing on four hooves that would likely result in failure. All of a sudden a gross but practical idea came to my mind. Using my tongue and teeth I grasped the door handle and with a flop I entered the room, clamored on the open toilet and felt relief and extreme disgust at the doorknob I just tasted.

Washing my hooves turned out to be as equally as tricky. The facet turned on with another teeth grab and a grunt of disgust, but after that, everything went to Tartarus. The water fell well back from my hooves and in clamoring to get them wet, I knocked over our large bottle of hand soap on the counter and my wings. Wait a sec, wings? I looked back to see real wings behind me. Stupefied, I tested them as I flexed muscles I never knew I had as these amazing appendages moved up and down, spreading the light, translucent, purple soap all over them. Only then did I realize my mistake as I tied to wash off the soap covering my wings with my hooves, getting them and the floor covered in more soap.

A false misstep found the floor shoot up at me and caused me to lay splayed, spread eagle, as that term took on a whole new meaning. The water still gushed behind me as I sighed and got to my hooves and turned it off, slipping a few times before stumbling into the shower. I gave myself the best scrub down I could with the extra soap and holding the sponge in my mouth to a different disgust than the metal with the equally nasty taste of soap. I supposed this was cruel irony for the dirty handles I had handled before this with my mouth that I had wished were cleaner. Or crueler irony for the swear words I could no longer say that I was being punished for like a little filly. Yep, a nice f-bomb would do ever so nicely right now.

A towel found my fur dry, but my wings still were soaked. I racked my brain for inspiration on how to dry my new (squee) wings.

A scene began to play within my head, with a deep male narrator’s voice that sounded strangely like Flutterguy commenting on a random pegasus in the street of what looked like Ponyville, “Here we see the pegasus in its natural habitat.”

The pegasus mare waved back.

“Pegasi, like other ponies, are social animals and need community and camaraderie, namely, friendship, to survive and thrive.

The pegasus is joined by a unicorn as they begin to talk.

“Pegasi, like other ponies, have inherent magic that helps them fly, resistance to the effects of weather such as lightning, and the ability to manipulate and walk on clouds.”

Images of each of the things described passed before my eyes with Derpy’s thunder cloud bouncing as the weather resistance clip, making me snicker a bit.

“Pegasi wings need maintenance to stay in tip-top shape, with routine preening needed to remove dirt and grime and warn out flight feathers.”

A couple of images of a pegasus self-preening and a couple preening each other passed before my mind’s eye.

I’m not sure when I watched that documentary or why it existed at all. Some cable channel must be really desperate for viewership or something. Or perhaps this was some TV I might have watched back before this whole living as a human thing. Or maybe it is a fan work on the internet. The sheer amount and variety of brony media is daunting sometimes and I wouldn’t be surprised if such a thing exists.

I tried to recall everything I could about preening as I tried to dry off the feathers with my teeth. They tasted so heavily of soap that I pulled out the feather my mouth was wrapped around on reflex, to a shot of pain and a trickle of blood. Great, my first day with wings and I injure myself not an hour after waking and before I even start flying.

I resisted the gag reflex and got the rest of my feathers dry somewhere between the towel, my teeth and drip drying. A light sleepy knock at the door pulled me out of my prepping.

“Can I come in?”

“Not like this! I don’t have any clothes” I said to my horror.

“Ponies don’t usually wear clothes. Remember?”

“Right,” I agreed as I facehoofed myself, “Come on in and be careful, the floor is covered in soap.”

“Have you been having foreplay in there and not telling me? Is she cute?”

I blushed and stammered, “What? No! Why would you…. Right. Cloud, the world’s most promiscuous and tactless mare.”

“Guilty as charged. Charming, sexy and irresistible. But right now, just needing to use the bathroom.”

I strode out of the bathroom, now in much better control of my legs and (ohmygosh) wings as I cantered into my bedroom. With my mouth trick, I opened the door to my closet and looked into the floor to ceiling mirror on the back of it and what I saw astonished me.

As I had already surmised, I am a full pegasus mare, complete with hooves and wings and everything. Granted, I had been expecting this for days now, but seeing myself as a pastel cartoon pony in real life is still no less amazing. My former face now extended into a small muzzle with feminine features with even a few freckles gracing my cheeks. My mane and tail reached their full length and end in a neat, cropped cut like Twilight’s, but with my characteristic green and pink stripes. I wonder if my mane style is stuck like this or if I can change it; Given the strangeness of this whole transformation thing, I wouldn’t be shocked either way. White fur now extended everywhere, including my hooves, which were still surprisingly hard despite the appearance of the contrary.

Lastly, my eyes fell on my wings. Despite fighting against them for the better part of half an hour, seeing them in the mirror still amazed me. I tried several different wing movements using my new found wing muscles to angle them various directions. A cautiously gave them a powerful flap and felt my hooves leave the ground. In my excitement I forgot to maintain the flight by adding in more flaps and fell back to the carpet with a thump, landing splayed out. Note to self, when flying, keep at it until your hooves reach the ground.

I got back to my hooves with less difficulty than earlier; it would seem I’m getting used to my new shape. I ambled into the kitchen as I stared up at the counters that now seemed rather tall. I swallowed my pride and grabbed a small stepladder that Cloud had bought as part of her shopping spree and got breakfast assembled. Only then did I realize I could have done this yesterday and avoided the crazy mess I made making toast. There are not enough facehooves to emphasize my stupidity. As they say, hindsight is always perfectly clear.

With toast made with minimal mess, which I downed happily along with a couple of glasses of milk in my stomach; breakfast was had and the day started with no collateral damage.

Whump. “Ouch! That’s going to leave a mark.” Cloud lamented.

I sighed, “Cloud, do you need help?” I asked politely.

“No.” Whump “Er, maybe”

I walked up to see Cloud all tangled up in a heap. I couldn’t help but hold back a giggle. She looked up at me with a pitiful look on her face, which turned into one of annoyance after she saw me.

“Yeah, yeah. Laugh it up. Some of us don’t have prowess with hooves yet, or the benefit of a slippery floor.”

I stopped laughing and sighed, “We all have to start somewhere. If it’s any consolation, I tripped several times on that floor.”

“About this floor, how did you manage to get soap everywhere?”

“Somewhere between the commercial size soap container you insisted on buying and getting it all over my wings.”

“Wait! Did you say wings? As in bird wings?”

I looked at her as if she was stupid, “Have you even looked in the mirror today?”

“I’m a bit too short to see it.”

I sighed, “Come here you” as I reached to grab her by her ear.

“Wait, Blossom! I need detangled first.”

I looked down at her as I noticed now that her hooves and one of her wings were all bundled up in a heap as I stifled another giggle.

Cloud gave me a stare of death, “Like you’ve never been this tied up.”

“Oh I have. I even have video evidence. It’s just nice to see you in a position where you are helpless and unable to bang.”

“Yes, and I’d like to get out of it real soon.”

“Hm. Maybe I should leave you like this. I’ll just close this door and no more teasing today from you. So far I’m not seeing a downside.” I turned to go.

“No wait! Blossom, please!”

“No more banging jokes today, and I’ll untie you.”

“Erm…”

I lifted a hoof toward the door.

“Fine, fine. You win. No banging requests today.”

“That’s a good pony.” I said as I patted her head and got to work untangling her limbs.

“Ouch! That’s smarts.”

“Sorry. Good heavens, how did you get so tied up?”

“It was the floor.”

“Look, I slipped on the floor and didn’t get so tangled up.”

“I was stretching.”

“Stretching?”

“Yes, and things turned sour with this soapy floor of yours. Oh, sweet circulation! Hoof, how I missed you so. Try not to fall asleep on me again.”

“I doubt it’ll listen to you, you know.”

After a few minutes, Cloud was detangled and back on her hooves. The floor did neither of us favors and we slip-walked out of the bathroom into my bedroom to let Cloud inspect herself. Cloud’s physique is similar to mine, but she is more toned and muscular, but not by much. It must be her military honed physique holding over from being a human or I suppose as a pony. Her coat is a delightful light lavender-grey with a two toned blonde mane and her powerful wings, much like mine but a bit bigger to match her slightly larger size.

“So this is it then, eh?”

“What is?”

“The culmination of several days of slow transformation and we are now colorful ponies in a very human world.”

“So it would seem.”

“You know, I didn’t know what to expect. I suppose in a way we still don’t, but… all things considered, I can see myself as a pony. This is doable.”

“I’m glad you like yourself. You are only stuck this way forever.” An idea quickly came to me as I said loudly, “Because losing a friend’s trust is the fastest way to lose a friend…”

I glanced around looking for Pinkie Pie, but unfortunately she failed to appear.

“What was that all about?” Cloud asked, mystified.

“Well, in the show, Pinkie Pie shows up saying ‘Forever!’ whenever someone says that line, so I was hoping she might appear and say such a thing.”

“Why would that matter? We know from your friends Derpy and Carrot Top that there are other ponies here on Earth. So why care about that one?”

“Because she is an element bearer, namely that of laughter.”

“Element bearer? Laughter?”

“There are six elements: laughter, kindness, honesty, loyalty…”

“Thrift, hard work, trustworthy, reverence…”

“What are you talking about?”

“The elements…”

“Not those elements,” I said giving her a look of annoyance after which she relented.

“Sorry, please continue.”

“As I was saying, six elements: laughter, kindness, honesty, loyalty, generosity, and magic.”

“What kind of element is magic?”

“It is the spark that makes the others appear.”

“So… leadership.”

“Essentially, yes.”

“Why didn’t they call it that in the first place?”

“Look, I didn’t make the lore, I just know it.” I stated flatly.

“Why are these elements or element bearers important?”

“Because they can use the Elements of Harmony.”

“So is it a thing or a concept of what? And is that the cheesiest name ever?”

“It is both. It is a weapon of immense power that can smite Equestria’s foes and it is the concept that powers it. Only these ponies, the element bearers, can wield this weapon.”

“When you phrase it like that, it sounds amazing. We are talking about the same thing and not Excalibur or something else, right?”

“Yes.”

“So… theoretically, we could find these ponies and maybe find a way to Equestria or wherever ponies live or, conversely get transformed back into humans somehow.”

“That is a distinct possibility.”

“I’m liking this idea. Try it again.”

I deadpanned, “It didn’t work last time, why would it work differently if I said it again another time? You know that insanity is defined as performing the same action but expecting a different outcome, and in case you were wondering, I’m not insane”

“Don’t know about that. We are talking cartoon ponies that four days ago were humans. I’m willing to accept madness as a good explanation as any.”

“Touché.”

“What if I say it with you?”

“Ok, and if that doesn’t work we could claim that there is need of a party because somepony is new in town.”

“How would that help?”

“If you recall anything about Pinkie, then that will make loads of sense.”

I heard the hum of my CRT computer monitor hum to life, then my computer turn on. I thought it odd that my computer could turn on all on its own, but before I could question it, a familiar sound of Pinkie’s voice blasted out of the speakers as Pinkie’s face dominated the screen.

“Iheardsomethignaboutapartyforanewponyintown!” the pink blur excitedly stated

Cloud and I looked at each other with a look of confusion and astonishment.

Cloud whispered to me, “You have a Pinkie Pie screen saver?”

I whispered back, “I don’t. I’ve never seen my computer behave like this before.”

“Whyareyoutwowhispering? IneedtomeethenewponyasI’vemetbothofyoubefore.”

Cloud and my eyes both went large as we realized Pinkie or some program impersonating Pinkie was on my computer.

I eventually gained my voice, “Um, we were actually looking for you Pinkie. Do you know where Twilight is?”

“Aw, no new ponies. I had the welcome wagon and party cannon ready and everything.”

Cloud raised an eyebrow, “Party cannon?”

“That’s what I said. Anyway, Twilight is here with me.”

“That’s great! Where are you guys?” I asked.

“Um, I donno. I was never good at geography as a human.”

I rubbed my temples, “Can you give I think us a hint or major landmarks or something? Anything?”

“Nope.”

“Can we talk to Twilight?”

“She’s busy right now. Gotta go, bye.”

With a blip Pinkie was gone and the screen turned black.

“That was less helpful than I was hoping.”

“Is she always like that?” Cloud asked.

“Most of the time. She is the poster child of ADHD.”

Cloud smiled, “I could agree with that.”

“However, I’d hate to see her medicated. Pinknamenia is not the same.”

“Pinkamenia?”

“Her alternate persona.”

“She has an alternate persona?”

“Yes, it manifests itself when she is depressed or according to bronies, when she is psychotic.”

“There is a psychotic form of a pony?”

“Yes. She actually is kind of popular.”

“That is wrong on so many levels.”

I did my best to emulate a shrug, but it didn’t quite translate in my pony body, “I don’t judge. People dream up what they will.”

We stood looking at each other, shuffling our hooves for a bit.

“So….”

“Yes?”

“What happens now?”

“Um, I’m not sure, but at any rate I want to try out these new wings.”

“Your what now?”

“These appendages attached to your and my back. I want to try flying.”

“Is that really wise? We just got these today. And someone might see us.”

“But if you think about it, we’ve had them as a pony before this and will continue to have them until we are either human again or forever. So doesn’t it make sense to have some practice with them first?”

Cloud’s stomach began to rumble. “Maybe we should grab some grub first.”

With that, we walked back into the kitchen as Cloud made herself some breakfast and I grabbed a glass of water.

“I’m going practice over here in the living room.”

“I better go grab the first aid kit then.”

“You vote of confidence is very reassuring.” I deadpanned.

The rest of the morning was spent practicing various positions of taking off and landing and soring around the apartment, with only minimal injuries, but plenty of close calls. I cannot tell you how many times I crashed into the couch and almost hit the obnoxiously large TV Cloud brought with her. Cloud eventually joined me as I gave her pointers on flight from what I had discovered through trial and error and by early afternoon we both agreed that the next logical step would be the fly for real after we both had almost crashed in the tight space of our apartment one too many times.

For the first time, I was glad that we lived on the top floor as we stood on the balcony, looking out over the city.

“Are you ready to do this?”

I gulped, “Ready as I’ll ever be.”

I closed my eyes, opened my wings and lifted off toward the wild blue yonder.

Author's Note:

Thanks for sticking with me, dear reader, and putting up with my slow release of content.

As usual, comments and critiques are welcomed.