• Published 15th May 2013
  • 885 Views, 16 Comments

A Mockery of Life - Farseer



What am I? I am a friend of a pony named Lemon Hearts, a well-known unicorn. But her rivals are out for her, and for me... can I help her through?

  • ...
0
 16
 885

Knowledge

My life slowly becomes more predictable. First thing in the morning, I wake up, brush my mane and tail, and maybe eat something. I don't eat much, though- it feels odd in my stomach, like it doesn't belong. I wonder what does.

Afterwards, my mother, my creator, Lemon, usually comes in and checks on me. We talk for a while and she tells me about this world. Slowly but surely, I get used to my voice and begin to talk more and more. I love the sound of my voice- sugary and sweet. Unlike the rest of me. I still don't know why I look like this. Perhaps I'll ask my creator someday.

Next up, she has to go to work, so I open another box and put together the puzzle, as I slowly piece together my mind. All the memories. I try to focus on the happier ones first. I wonder what it would be like to raise a child of my own. Going through all the hardships and the joys. The love given, even if not received in return. The heartbreak when they leave for their own life...

As I progress through my memories, I progress through my puzzles. By the end of the week, I have six pictures- the one of Twilight, one of a yellow pegasus in a field with a bunny, labeled Fluttershy, another of an orange pony sleeping under a tree, labeled Applejack. A third of a white unicorn stroking a cat, labeled rarity, and one dozing off on a cloud, labeled Rainbow Dash. But there is one that draws my attention. A pink pony, baking a cake, labeled Pinkie Pie. I look long at this. The sheer joy on her face, the smile on the faces of two twins- one a filly and one a colt- in the background.

Lemon explains to me about each pony in the pictures. The puzzles were made fifteen years ago, while peace still reigned. Everypony was happy, and joy was across the land. And the protectors of the land were called the Elements of Harmony- six ponies who wielded powerful magic, that defended Equestria when the princesses couldn't. Love was abundant.

And then suddenly... the princesses disappeared.

The land was flung into chaos. One of the Elements, in a panic, created a spell that would turn them into princesses, to keep the land in order until they came back.

It failed, and, while nothing happened to Twilight, Rainbow Dash was mutilated and Pinkie Pie died.

At this, I couldn't listen anymore. I had a hard time thinking about death. Where did the spirits go when they were removed from their body? What if there was nothing? Absolutely nothing? I couldn't think about it.

But then, the next day, she told me about the Laughing Mare. About how Pinkie Pie was ascended into an entity of pure joy. That all she wanted to do was stop the fighting and bring eternal happiness to all. All ponies, all everything. I wonder how she can do this. But then again, I reason, if she's the entity of joy, there's no reason for her not to be able to do this.

Lemon tells me about what she and her friends do. They worship the Laughing Mare, but some are so trapped in their misery that they have to have us break the misery for them- one way or another. We are led by a Council of seven- presided over by the High Prophet- and I am required to obey them, unless the Laughing Mare says otherwise.

She teaches me a lot more during this week. How to fly, for instance. And how to use magic. I'm still learning about magic, but I had learned to levitate and a simple light spell. I wonder when I can use this. My eyesight's already accustomed to seeing in the dark- once, Lemon forgot to keep the light on, and I could still see perfectly fine. Add it to the list of things I don't know.

But still... I get a feeling of forboding about the future. Like something has happened that hasn't happened before.


Lemon watched all of this- all of her development- gratefully. She had taught her most of what she needed to be taught in less than a week. And she had gotten another Grinning Wormhole, as they were nicknamed, done for the Council.

And yet... she couldn't shake the feeling that she was being watched. This did nothing to ease her sense of paranoia, that was rapidly growing due to the enemies she was making...

Author's Note:

Chapter Four.

Now I am going to slow down on writing. I think blitzing though four chapters is enough, eh?