• Published 15th May 2013
  • 883 Views, 16 Comments

A Mockery of Life - Farseer



What am I? I am a friend of a pony named Lemon Hearts, a well-known unicorn. But her rivals are out for her, and for me... can I help her through?

  • ...
0
 16
 883

Words

Lemon put her creation back into her bed. Finished. Finally...

She made her way across the hallway and plopped down. The next meal- and her next coffee- was in six hours. And she was tired. She plopped down into her bed, and let the softness of the mattress carry her into slumber...


Bong...
Bong...
Bong...

She quickly jolted into consciousness. Listening to the bell. Panicking over the time.

Bong...
Bong...
Bong...

Her eyes widened.

Bong...
Bong...

She let out a sigh, then dashed out of bad. She had to eat and check on her friend quickly- the Council was not forgiving when she was late.


I wake up slowly. Ugh... I feel horrible. And pain in my neck. I rub it, and the pain goes away slowly. I let out my breath slowly, and stop.

I breathe out again. A humming sound.

I turn to the mirror, brushing my mane and stretching my wings. "Hello," I tell my reflection. And stop.

I actually heard something this time. Then I realized it.

I can talk.

My face splits into a smile. I can talk. Proof. I can be like others. I hum to myself, then recognize the sound as that instrument that my friend showed me. I can't wait to surprise her. To tell her my name. And to ask for hers in return.

And suddenly, the door bursts open. My friend is in the doorway. She comes over to me. "Hello... how are you?"

Not having spoken much before, I still have to get used to the words. "Hello..."

She stops and looks at me. "You can talk?"

I nod slowly.

She grins at me. "That's great! Now we can have conversations, and have even more fun together!" She pauses for moment. "Do you have a name that you know of?"

I pause here for a moment. So many memories... I finally pick out the true one, from all the falsehoods. "My name... is... Mockingbird..."

She smiles. "Alright. Mockingbird. My name's Lemon Hearts." She holds out a hoof. I slowly take it and shake it.

Lemon Hearts looks at me directly, as if trying to see inside of my soul. Maybe he is trying to see through all the flesh to determine what I truly am.

Eventually, she lifts her gaze to my eyes. "Alright, Mockingbird. I have to go for right now. But we can talk later, alright?" I nod. And open my mouth again. "Alright..."

She gives me a few boxes. "You can have fun with these until I come back."

"Okay..."

She nods and hugs me again. Then she bids farewell and leaves.

I wonder where I recognize that name. Lemon Hearts... like it was some intimate part of my being.

I slice open the box using a small knife found on a table, covered in red. I replace it where I found it, then look in the box. It has several puzzles. Six of them. I slowly begin to piece them together.

While I put together the pieces of the puzzle, I try to put together the pieces of my mind. All these memories inside of me... And I know that they don't belong. I wonder why they are here. In my head. On one sense, I am grateful for my memories. Showing me how to talk, how to behave, how to live properly. But I wish that my head would be filled with my recollections, and not someone else's.

One stands out at me right now... a pair of ponies- pegasi- are laying on a cloud, looking at the stars. Talking about them, how pretty they are. I can feel the love between them. One's just about to embrace the other. Trying to find the right words to say. Words. They certainly are confusing at times. I wonder how much better ponykind would be if all they used to communicate were their feelings. It would certainly save a lot of time.

It takes about an hour to put together the first puzzle. It's a purple- no, lavender- unicorn in a small library, reading a large book labeled Thermodynamics. I wonder who this pony is. There's a label on the bottom of it. Twilight Sparkle- Element of Magic. Twilight Sparkle. I wonder if I will ever meet this pony.

Just then, Lemon walks back into the room. She looks at the picture and I can tell she's trying not to frown. Or get angry. "Twilight Sparkle..." she murmurs. Just like that. And suddenly, I know how I recognize her name.

"Mommy..." I whisper. It sounds sweet on my tongue. Like it belongs there. Lemon looks at me, shocked. I repeat it, looking at her. A small half-smile flickers onto her face, and I turn back to the picture. I wonder what it means by an Element of Harmony.


So it's true, Lemon thinks, confused. Undead will remember the names of their animators. And Mockingbird, not knowing what that means, thinks that I... am her mother.

She looks at Mockingbird more intently. Mockingbird doesn't seem to notice, having turned her attention back to the picture.

A motherly love began to well up inside of her. She's a child. A child in need of a parent. And suddenly, her resolve to wait before taking her before the council breaks into a million pieces. Though she knew it meant trouble, Lemon resolved to keep Mockingbird a secret for as long as possible...